Jarrow Formulas Bone-up, 120 Count
Price:$11.86 + Free shipping with Amazon Prime

Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
This Jarrow Bone- up has a good type of Calcium in it, as from what I have read it Absorbs pretty good, Hydroxyapatite.
The bottle says to take 6 caps a day, which I think is uncalled for. Although You would take 2caps three times a day,. And I think that is a pain in the neck.
We can only absorb about 300mg to 500 mg calcium at a time !
We also get calcium from vegetables which is better absorbed then eating dairy, or taking calcium vitamins.
The oval capsules might be considered big for some people to take!

I do not think taking 6 capsules is enough of 1000iu D3. From what my Dr. say's, we should be taking 5000iu of D3 a day.
There are other minerals in this, but for me, I do not think enough. I do not think there is enough of everything, so this is a waste except if you want to take calcium.

I do have Osteoporosis. I'm not so sure it is the calcium we need. Magnesium might be more important!
If this type of calcium helps our bones, we would only know it unless we had a DEXA Scan.

There is K2 Mk-7 in this. But K2 MK-4 is more important then Mk-7.
Mk-7 is inexpensive. We need to take K2-Mk-4 which takes the calcium to our bones and not our arteries/soft tissue. I do not see Mk-4 in this, as it is expensive, and has a
short shelve life in the body.We need to take Mk4 about every 5 to 6 hours with some healthy fat for it to absorb. K2 Mk7 we do not need to take everyday, as it stays in the body for about 2 to 3 days. Depending on how much you take!

As far as taking calcium goes, I think this is a pretty good choice, although Food would be a better choice.
VINE VOICEon April 20, 2013
Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
Since most of us women who get bone density tests do so only every few years, we cannot easily determine whether taking Bone-Up capsules helps us maintain bone density, especially after taking them only a few months. However, I have had significant positive results with other Jarrow supplements, have considerable faith in their products, and so far, two months into my Bone-Up regime, have every reason to believe that these capsules are high quality and beneficial for most women.

Bone-Up capsules contain the most superior form of calcium available - hydroxyapatite (OHC), derived from chemically free range-grazed calves. They also contain 1000 iu of vitamin D3, and other minerals necessary for maintaining and building up bone density - vitamin K, potassium, magnesium, zinc and copper.

My guess is that the prescribed six capsules a day regime (a bottle only lasts 20 days!) is not necessary for those of us taking calcium and D3 in other forms, as I do - so as a result I have only been taking four a day. Another factor influencing my decision is that I already take 18 medications and supplements a day, and adding 6 more is too burdensome, difficult to swallow (the Bone-Up capsules are not small - but neither are they as large as some other capsules on the market) and potentially difficult to digest. Users of this supplement might want to carefully compare the ingredients to those in other supplements they take, and adjust their dosage accordingly.

Why I am taking Bone-Up: At age 39, I had a total hysterectomy, and due to endometriosis, did not take estrogen. Five years later, a bone density test indicated that I had osteoporosis. Now, twenty two years later, the osteoporosis is worse and is beginning to have noticeable effects. My endocrinologist is recommending that I start taking a medication for osteoporosis, but I am hesitant to do so because of the likely side effects.

He also pointed out that I had both a calcium and vitamin D deficiency, although I eat many calcium-rich foods. (Many people don't realize that calcium cannot be absorbed when vitamin D intake is insufficient - and many of us living in northern climates have a vitamin D deficiency.) As a result I started taking Jarrow calcium and D3 supplements in January, with beneficial results, as revealed in a recent blood test. I have however lost 1 ½ inches in height, and am concerned with the research indicating that "between 45-75 years, women lose 30% of their skeletal structure". So I added Bone-Up to my already demanding daily regime.

In summary: As supplements go, Bone-Up appears to be the best choice for women in particular (but men as well) who are concerned about bone density. But those of us who separately take calcium and D3 are not likely to need or want to take the recommended dosage of six Bone-Up pills a day and may choose to take a lower dosage.
on February 27, 2013
Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
I went from osteopenia in my first bone scan, to osteoporosis in my second! This was WITH doing weight bearing exercises DAILY for over 2 years and adequate calcium intake as prescribed by my Dr.

So when I researched and read about all the things that would aid in the absorption and utilization of the calcium I was already taking, I figured I would have to take fistfuls of supplements if I was to make any headway against losing more bone density.

I was so happy to discover this blend from Jarrow, it not only is up date on the current research as to the best ingredients and ratios but it is saving me a bunch of $$ as I was looking at buying each of the ingredients by themselves (they are NOT cheap!) to create a custom blend that I now don't need to!

As with any progress in increasing bone mass, this will need to be taken for a loooong time to see if it will help me, but I know I have to do more than I have been doing, so based on current research this is about as good a shot as I think I can give my body to stop and hopefully restore my bone density.
I will update at my next Dexascan. BTW I'm 55 years old,and was diagnosed when I was 52.....

I hope this helps anyone else out there that has just been diagnosed Don't wait on your Dr to tell you that you need to be EXTREMELY "pro active" I thought that with all the weights that I was doing FAITHFULLY & the correct Calcium & vitamin D along with a multi vitamin I was doing everything necessary & would see a dramatic improvement! Wow, was I soo wrong! You have to do MORE!! This supplement looks like it really has it all, if anyone out there has any more "cutting edge" info on halting or reversing osteoporosis I would be MOST grateful if you would post a comment and share that info with me and any others that might stumble upon my review and read it..
VINE VOICEon March 9, 2013
Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
After getting to the bottom of the bottle, I have to change my review. I am experiencing eye twitches and sleep disturbances- symptoms associated with calcium deficiency. I was hoping to have a new, less expensive calcium supplement, but it looks like I am going back to the drawing board. I don't know if it's an absorption issue or a formulation issue, but I seem to do better with liquid supplements. Oh, well. It was worth a try.
VINE VOICEon June 28, 2013
Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
I've been taking this about 3 weeks. I've noticed some decrease in knee pain; not totally improved. I can't say with certainty that the improvement is due to these nutritive supplements, since there is always the possibility of coincidence.

These are average-sized soft capsules, not giant horse pills. However the dosage suggested on the label is 3 capsules, twice daily, preferably with meals.

Besides calcium, additional ingredients are included (for example vitamins D and K), to help with absorption and usage.

Under the Jarrow brand, many of the products are labeled as vegetarian. However, this is not. The label mentions the inclusion of ossein microcrystalline hydroxyapatite (OHC) from cattle bones -- from free-range calves of Australia and/or New Zealand. If it's any consolation, I don't think the animals were slaughtered merely for the sake of that ingredient. Steaks are the likely reason.

I see there's an alternative version of Jarrow Bone-Up specifically for Vegetarians / Vegans; see Jarrow Formulas Bone-Up (Vegetarian), 120 Tablets.
I have not tried that version.

There are some differences in nutrients. For example, the vegetarian version includes Vitamin D2. The non-vegetarian version has Vitamin D3. My understanding (non-expert) is that Vitamin D3 is a better nutrient, compared to D2; but D3 is not available from vegan sources. However, I *think* Vitamin D3 is the one that can be produced by our own bodies, given enough sun exposure and other factors.

Another difference between the labels of the regular versus vegetarian versions: Here the calcium ingredient is described as "elemental". On the vegan version, the calcium is listed as "calcium citrate". I assume the difference is due to the cattle bones, mentioned above.
Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
These pills will do it. You need to choke down six of these oversized boluses to get the recommended dosage. I usually have no problem taking pills, but these would not go down without a fight. My doctor just suggested that I take a calcium supplement. I have taken them on and off, mostly off, for several years, without knowing what I was taking or why. Now that I've reached the age where bone loss can be a problem, I decided to do a little research.

Turns out, calcium has any number of other uses. Too little and you get muscle cramps, numbing of fingers and toes, and irregular heart rhythms, in addition to the osteoporosis and dowager's hump we all know about. And those diet cokes that I love so much are pulling the calcium right out of my bones. Yikes! But too much and you up your risk for kidney stones, stroke and heart attack. Plus there is a tremendous amount of controversy concerning calcium supplements. Do you take them with Vitamin C? What about calcium versus magnesium? What kind of calcium and from what source? Enough already. I decided to check out natural sources and it seems much simpler just to tweak your diet a tiny bit to ensure you are getting your 1000 mgs a day.

There are so many calcium rich foods, it's almost hard to avoid them. One cup of milk gives you about 1/3 of the daily requirement. Dried herbs are loaded with it. But remember, it's only the dried varieties that have the calcium blast. Dried savory has more than 2,000 mgs of calcium per 100 grams. Sure you aren't going to dump 100 grams of it onto your omelet, but try adding a pinch to your salad, your breakfast eggs, and that pot of soup simmering on the stove. Other dried herbs that are calcium rich include dill, basil, marjoram, thyme, oregano, poppy seed, mint, celery seed, sage, parsley and rosemary. Use them every day in whatever you are eating. Your food will taste better and your bones will be stronger.

I found this chart on the internet...it shows how easy it is to find calcium rich foods. Dairy products have the biggest payload, but if you are a vegan or just don't like dairy, there are lots of other choices:

Sesame Seeds--1/4 cup, 351 mg calcium.
Spinach--1 cup, 245 mg.
Collard Greens--1 cup, 266 mg.
Tahini--two tbsps, 126 mg.
Broccoli--1 cup 66 mg.
Swiss Chard--1 cup 102 mg.
Kale--1 cup 94 mg.
Brazil Nuts--12 nuts, 90 mg.
Celery--1 cup 40 mg.
Almonds--23 nuts,75 mg.
Papaya--One medium,73 mg.
Flax Seeds--Two tablespoons,52 mg.
Oranges---One medium mg.
Fortified Orange Juice--1 cup, 300 mg calcium
Canned Salmon w/bones--3 oz, 180 mg
Fortified Cereal--1 cup, 300 mg
Waffle, fortified 1, 150 mg

And don't forget fish: sardines, salmon, trout and herring have big doses calcium.

Although Jarrow is known for excellent products and reasonable prices, I cannot recommend this product beyond 3 stars because the pills are almost painful to swallow and it's just too easy to get enough calcium from natural sources.
22 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
I have used Bone-Up off and on for years, lately with regularity since I have been diagnosed with bone loss and have been told to take more calcium than my regular supplements.

My GP highly approves my use of Bone-up because Jarrow Formulas continues to upgrade their products based on new research of the human skeletal system. Their product is from Australian grass-fed calves. The ossein-hydroxyapatite complex is combined with vitamin D3 and K2 to increase deposits of calcium into the bones. Potassium, magnesium, boron, and the trace minerals zinc, copper, and manganese are added for optimal osteo support.

Since 85% of women and 50% of men over the age of 20 consume less than the required daily minimum calcium it makes sense to supplement with a superior product such as Jarrow's Bone-up. It is essential for post-menopausal women who lose up to 2% of bone mass each year.

I fall into this category and have been supplementing with calcium and magnesium as well as a multivitamin supplement and weight-bearing exercises. This, apparently is not enough as my last bone density scan revealed more bone loss. My research showed Jarrow's Bone-up formula to be one of the best sources for improving skeletal health, so I am now taking six Bone-up capsules each day as well as doing even more weight-bearing exercises. I am hoping my next bone scan will show significant results. For now, I have the confidence that I am doing the utmost for bone health. Jarrow Formula Bone-up has not only ossein-hydroxyapatite complex but all the co-factors to ensure a balance necessary to fully augment a healthy diet and weight-bearing exercises. Since I follow a Paleo type eating regimen (with fermented dairy and some cheese), I get a lot of the vitamins from my food, however, I believe in being pro-active in my overall health routine. So far, Bone-up appears to be the best supplement for bone and colo-rectal health on the market. Thank you Jarrow.
Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
Menopause is headed toward me like a freight train. Along with a million other things, our bodies start to lose bone mass at some ridiculous rate after mid life. I remember my grandmother bent over her walker with a complete C shape to her spine...and oh wait, she was 25 years older than I am right now!

So, here we go. 3 pills twice a day. What a pain. But I want to be running 25 years from now...sure, running to catch some early bird special and then head off to my canasta game, but running nonetheless.

There are a lot of pills to take. Fortunately, they are easy to swallow. I am committed to my continued health and wellness. Jarrow products play a big part in my supplement routine.

Some info from Wikipedia:

Menaquinone-7 (MK-7) is different from MK-4 in that it is not produced by human tissue. MK-7 consumption has been shown to reduce the risk of bone fractures and cardiovascular disorders that are crucial health issues worldwide. There is a need for production of concentrated, supplementary MK-7 in the diet.[citation needed] Recently, leading research teams from Australia, Japan and Korea are broadening the understandings on MK-7 and its production. It has been reported that MK-7 may be converted from phylloquinone (K1) in the colon by E-coli bacteria.[12] However, bacteria-derived menaquinones (MK-7) appear to contribute minimally to overall vitamin K status.[13][14] MK-4 and MK-7 are both found in the United States in dietary supplements for bone health.

The U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA) has not approved any form of vitamin K for the prevention or treatment of osteoporosis; however, MK-4 has been shown to decrease fractures up to 87%.[15] In the amount of 45 mg daily MK-4 has been approved by the Ministry of Health in Japan since 1995 for the prevention and treatment of osteoporosis.[16]
on March 26, 2013
Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
6 capsule a day is a lot to take and that makes it only 20 days worth when taken at that level.

This is a serious bone health supplement with a lot of thought given to what would make the calcium accomplish the goal better.

It has a lot more in it than just calcium and it's important to take that into account when choosing. For example, looking at the list below I would probably get rid of my extra D3 and magnesium supplements, though the magnesium supplement I take is specialized for brain instead of bones, so maybe I would just reduce it. I really wish it didn't have this much vitamin C because everything puts vitamin C in it and though in double checking it various sites, it doesn't seem this amount is anywhere near where side effects tend to show up.

However, the calcium level in this is high enough that serious side effects could appear from it especially if you are getting calcium from other sources likes antacids. Also from what I'm reading the magnesium oxide level on this is higher than the recommended safe level. I suggest you do not take a daily full dose of this supplement without consulting your doctor. Suggest you Google the calcium and magnesum ingredients and side effects and do lots of reading to figure out the issues before you go to the doctor (because doctors themselves have varying degrees of knowledge and carefulness about nutrition).

I didn't research everything in this, but I do suggest you do if you are going to take the full dose of this supplement or if you take other supplements.

This is what it gives you:

Vitamin C 200 mg 333%
Potassium 99 mg 3%
Boron 3mg
on April 7, 2013
Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
That's at the current price, which is likely to change. Six pills a day is a lot, I'm not aware of any other supplements requiring that many. Then again, you're supplementing bone with calcium here, and there's a lot of bone in your body. So I guess it makes sense to take more than just a single pill every now and then. And, knowing Jarrow, this is likely one of the more effective bone supplements available. If your budget allows it, and you have a nutritional need for it, then I recommend this product. And, you can always take less than the recommended dose: I currently take one pill with each meal (when I remember), and others may also choose a reduced consumption schedule, especially if they already have an otherwise significant calcium intake. If you're getting plenty of calcium, then you probably don't need these pills at all.

Other things to be aware of: the pills are relatively large, and somewhat difficult to swallow. They are plain gelatin capsules, which start to dissolve when wet. When you put them in your mouth, they get kind of sticky, so be prepared to use a bit of liquid to get them down properly.

They also are made primarily of ground up cow bones (with a few other vitamins and minerals thrown in for good measure). Jarrow also makes a vegetarian bone supplement if you object to the bovine calcium source: Jarrow Formulas Bone-Up (Vegetarian), 120 Tablets

***EDIT: I just noticed a news article highly relevant to this review. I've linked to it in a comments attached to this review.
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...