5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent instrument for the beginner guitarist!
Published on September 1, 2005 by J. Lozon

1.0 out of 5 stars Bridge cracked within four months
Stay away from this one. The bridge on the guitar cracked shortly after I got the guitar and to return it for repair would have cost almost as much as I paid for it.
Published on October 11, 2011 by Jerry Marshall

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent instrument for the beginner guitarist!, September 1, 2005
The ES31C is a great deal, and I do not regret purchasing mine in the least! The sound is rich and resonant, and the guitar feels very comfortable to hold and play. The action is nice, and the dreadnought body (although obviously large)is very resilient and holds up to some tough playing. I purchased mine about 6 months ago, and aside from changing the strings every month or so, the guitar has really needed no upkeep. The only other issue I have had is when a friend scratched my pickguard up by playing excessively rough - but I fixed that problem by removing the old pick-guard and replaced it with a few dollar self-adhesive replacement that I purchased locally from Elderly instruments. I keep it clean and polished with Martin guitar polish (also an excellent product), and I use Martin SP strings (the strings that come with this Takamine are the guitar's only real fault - they just do not sound as good as they should, and are poor quality. However, that is an easily remedied problem, Martin SPs cost about $5. For the value price of this guitar, you can't really expect them to ship it stock with nice phosphor/bronze strings, so they give you what appears to be some sort of cheap nickel/iron. Oh well, took 5 mins to fix.

I play everything from Eric Clapton to Pink Floyd, Nirvana to Nickelback, and System of a Down to Stone Temple Pilots all on this one guitar, and it handles everything with no problem. If you are a professional, you may not be quite as pleased with this instrument, as the Takamine does use a maple neck, and is not made from the most expensive of wood (like those multi-thousands of dollar Martins and Washburns) - but anyone who isn't a professional (myself included) would never know the difference. Honestly, this guitar plays and sounds better than many I have tried that cost hundreds of dollars more. Buy it now, and thank me later.

5.0 out of 5 stars THE BEST GUITAR FOR ITS PRICE, May 14, 2007
This review is from: Jasmine by Takamine ES31C Acoustic Electric Guitar (Electronics)
This Guitar is the best sounding guitar for this price!!!!

I play at church with it connected to the mix console and the sound is really clean and gives a beautiful electric-acoustic presence in each song that I play.

I'm really happy with this product,if you would need a guitar for a heavy-duty performance frequence, then this is the instrument.!!!

5.0 out of 5 stars I'm just a beginner, April 2, 2009
I'm a beginner so I don't know a lot about guitars but my husband plays and he seems pleased with it. Also, it's a really good looking guitar. We just tuned it and I think I'm gonna love it.

On a side note, don't buy this guitar thinking it is one that has a built in tuner with the electrics cause it doesn't. Guitars with those are usually a bit more expensive. Other than that, it is great!

5.0 out of 5 stars Jasmine Takamine ES31C, July 24, 2008
I bought this guitar as a birthday gift for my boyfriend. I'm glad to report that he LOVES it!!! It sounded a lot better than I expected! Before I bought it, I read reviews on amazon, but also from several other web pages (just to make sure it was worth my money) and they all said that it was a great guitar for beginners and I would have to agree. I'm writing this review because I genuinely like this guitar (in fact I steal it from my boyfriend whenever I can) and recommend it to all beginners or people looking to give an acoustic as a gift!!!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Good features, great value, January 9, 2007
J. Hibben (Des Moines, Iowa) - See all my reviews
This guitar is a great value, has great sound, and is easy to play. It has a beautiful black finish and seems to be well made. There is also an adjustment at the base of the neck which can be used to straighten the neck should it ever become warped. A friend of mine said that this was a good feature to have, especially if you plan to keep a guitar for a while.

I have only used the electric controls to plug the guitar into a tuner, so I can't evaluate the sound of the guitar when played through a sound system.

I did have one issue with the button for the strap at the base of the guitar; it became loose and looked like it might have pulled out of the guitar body if I really put pressure on it. But I found that it could be tightened and it seems OK now - but I am careful not to put too much pressure on it. This is why I rated it 4 stars instead of 5.

If you are looking for a good value in a guitar, definitely consider this model. But if you want to spend a bit more for an acoustic-electric, you might look for one that has a built-in tuner (this model does not). However, I was able to purchase a great Korg tuner for under $25, and this works fine. But it's one more thing to carry around...

Overall I am very happy with this guitar, and as a new guitar player I have found myself spending hours with this thing! It is addicting!

4.0 out of 5 stars My Workhorse for 12 years now., April 14, 2011
I was given this guitar as a birthday present by a group of my dear friends 12 years ago.

I have been playing her every day, everywhere, and in all kind of crazy conditions.

I have to say, when I first got her, I was skeptical on how she would last on the road and in venues. Let me just say, she keeps on rockin.

I made an upgrade to Grover tuners about 9 years ago, it just needed to be done. And I no longer use the onboard ribbon transducer, though it was nice and responsive, but instead I use a Fishman Rare Earth Humbucker soundhole pickup... less feedback at high volumes.

To really fill out the sound, and give it a boost (so your sound guy doesn't gripe about having to turn up the gain), I suggest a simple eq stompbox... I use a Boss, but I've played through Behringer and Danelectro ones as well, and they really help to give the stock pickup some muscle and more control.

So yeah, my Jasmine has lasted a long time, seen some crazy times, and still has a sound that makes everyone say, "How are you getting that sound out of a cheap guitar?"

My next purchase will be the Luna Trinity guitar, but Jasmine will always be with me, ready to roll out no matter what... and that's a real comfort.

5.0 out of 5 stars Beautiful guitar..., November 2, 2008
L. Gonzalez (El Cajon, CA USA) - See all my reviews
This is a really nice guitar - especially given the price. It's really solid and its easy to play. The sound is nice and clear. Go get one!

5.0 out of 5 stars This is a wonderful guitar! I love mine, June 8, 2008
I received this guitar as a Christmas gift. It has a beautiful sound, and a gorgeous sleek look. I LOVE LOVE LOVE it. I don't see how anyone could give it a bad review. It's a good guitar for a great price. I play mine all the time.

5.0 out of 5 stars Nice guitar, June 9, 2010
Flyer X "fredtron" (Schererville, IN USA) - See all my reviews
I have been playing over 40 years. This guitar plays great right out of the box. The first guitar I did not need to make adjustments to. It sounds good too despite having only a gain and tone control. I recommend it.

5.0 out of 5 stars GREAT GUITAR FOR THE PRICE.., November 5, 2008
This is the best sounding guitar, for the price..
I play it at my church the sound is really clean...
I am really pleased with this guitar..

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›