Automotive Holiday Deals Books Holiday Gift Guide Shop Women's Cyber Monday Deals Week Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon Prime Music Sweepstakes egg_2015 Fire TV Stick Grocery Gifts for Her Amazon Gift Card Offer mithc mithc mithc  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 Kindle Voyage Shop Now HTL

Showing 1-10 of 17 reviews(4 star).Show all reviews
on October 23, 2008
This is I believe the best book about basic Javascript on the market right now.

Pros: Technically complete, solid writing style, understandable examples, no better intro books on the market.

Cons: Authors repeatedly show that they prefer class-based object systems, which Javascript is not. Authors do not effectively teach advanced Javascript prototype-based object usage and in fact seem to view it as a nuisance to be avoided. Authors don't regularly use closures except in section on closures.

I would recommend following this book up with "Javascript: The Good Parts" and making sure you fully grok how to use closures to avoid namespace pollution.
on May 17, 2007
The information in the book is absolutely solid, but WOW is the information mundanefully unappealing. There was ZERO thought into keeping the reader interested with content layout, bordering, graphic design, illustration, examples, etc. It is a good resource to have handy. I hate to be the superficial simpleton in the bunch but I'm rather BIG on ascetically appealing text... (it helps with my acute A.D.D. ... j/k ;) this is not that. It's like reading the paper version (vs. online version) of the wall street journal... dampened by the rain and chewed up by the neighbors chihuahua. For those like me try, 1. "JavaScript in easy steps" 2."JavaScript for the world wide web" and 3."Pro JavaScript Techniques"... in that order.
on September 24, 2007
If you already program in C/C++, Java or Python, this is the right reference for making the transition to JavaScrript. It is thorough and is one of the few non-dreadful books on JS out there. Beware of an abundance of crappy junk in this area.....
on September 28, 2008
This book is downright comprehensive and thoroughly deserves its "definitive guide" title.

But, the example scripts the author gives are long and deadly boring, which is why I won't give it five stars.

To "get" JavaScript, you need shorter scripts which are easier to learn from.

My recommendation is to use this book in conjunction with the w3schools website.
on December 24, 2007
This refers to the 5th edition.

Ten years ago, JavaScript support was so different among various web browsers, I gave up trying to do any logical processing in JavaScript, and went into server-side programming.

Today, you still have to do a select few things two or three times in JavaScript to get them to work in all web browsers. But with much better standardization across browsers -- including broad support for Ajax, or remote scripting -- it's become worthwhile again to spend time on JavaScript development.

So, I took an online JavaScript class at the local community college. I bought this book as my reading text.

This "bible" of JavaScript skimps at times on simple examples, but provides several lengthy general-purpose code samples that show how to abstract out the client-specific or case-specific handling from an underlying set of routines.

Only the first part of this book is instructional. Then, there is the wonderful second half of the book, which is all reference. Divided into the core language reference and the client-side JavaScript reference, it's an essential quick lookup tool.

If you are new to JavaScript or (like me) brushing up on it after a long time away, choose this book as your in-depth background information and your ongoing reference text. Choose something like Dori Smith's JavaScript and Ajax for the Web, Sixth Edition (Visual QuickStart Guide) for your smaller, quick-start examples to play with.

Unfortunately, as long as browsers don't all support all the same JavaScript and CSS, there is still too much tedious hacking needed to provide a useful interface on the client side. Neither this book nor any other will get you past that little problem.
on June 30, 2011
This book is likely going to be helpful as a REFERENCE guide to javascript users. Consider two things: (1) this book will not teach you Javascript-Ajax (2)This book will not ENTIRELY clear up your confusion about javascript. This is NOT the book that explains this subject from START to FINISH.

I took a semester class (Spring 2011) on javascript and am still looking for the "next level" book that will fill-in my understanding of what I find confusing after the class ended. In my opinion, this book will not give me the breakthrough I want/desire. It reads like a "refer back to" book once you understand the subject.

At this point I must state, I have purchased 4 books on javascript. Each seems to add something to my understanding (even if it is legacy info). Each author takes time to state that what is shared in their book may be outdated at some point; apparently javascript is "primitive", but still evolving.

My hunt for the "Perfect" javascript book continues.
on June 15, 2008
I bought this book after the helpful reviews found on amazon. This book is must have for reference, I've been using this for the past one month and its been great reference for me, a beginner.
on August 19, 2015
This book is a good read about many subjects in JavaScript, but it is a poor book to read if your focus is on how to write object-oriented JavaScript. Chapters nine and ten are a disappointment in an otherwise well written book.
on May 29, 2008
This book is perfect for anyone working on Web sites and uses JavaScript. From learning JavaScript to finding "recipes" on doing work, this book has it all. I cut a project from 10 hours to 1 hour with this book's help.
on December 29, 2007
I'm still getting into this book, but so far it has done a good job of explaining what is a new technology to me. I have some web development experience and this book hits me at the right level.