5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent resource
Published 4 months ago by Max Antonucci

Published 4 months ago by Kyle Halleman

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent resource, July 4, 2014
This review is from: JavaScript and JQuery: Interactive Front-End Web Development (Paperback)
I've studied Javascript in classes and on my own with other resources, and this book is definitely one of the best, clearest resources for understanding the language. It covers all the core elements clearly, and gradually adds more layers to what's being taught, which is especially important since so many people I know are overwhelmed with how complicated the language can be at times.

The only downside, as I thought, is that there's a LOT to cover. One already needs a basic understanding of HTML and CSS, and then these are two more closely-connected languages that need to be covered. So it takes commitment and persistence to really get the language down. If you have that, though, this is one of the best ways to learn the language outside of a classroom.

5.0 out of 5 stars Anyone interested in web development NEEDS this book!, July 5, 2014
Although it seems these days that 'beautiful' is a buzzword used to describe anything having to do with the web, there is no better word to describe this book. Adding to that—informative, thorough, and otherwise incredible.
This book targets a reader of truly any level and whether you're new to web design entirely or just trying to expand your skills, you'll find that this book is never too dense or boring. The author starts with the simple stuff for those who need to learn the basics, but it's written in a way that even someone with a little experience will probably still enjoy skimming over the first few chapters.
Visual learners are really in for a treat with this book, as just about every remotely difficult concept is illustrated in detail with helpful notes everywhere. As one would expect, all the code examples found in the book are available online for you to follow along, and you can bet that just about every line of code is explained in clear detail.
Although this book is primarily about JavaScript and jQuery on the front-end side, the author touches upon the necessary components of HTML5 and CSS while also explaining some back-end basics.

I don't usually write reviews on my purchases, but this book is just *that* good. It's the only book you need to more or less master JS and jQuery and gives you everything you need to get started on some real projects. Best $20 I've ever spent and I can promise you won't regret it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Full of content, beautifully designed, novice web designer must read, July 1, 2014
As I wrote for ‘HTML & CSS: Design and Build Websites’ written by Jon Duckett, I should start this review with same words that ‘JavaScript and JQuery: Interactive Front-End Web Development’ by same author is simply beautiful book to go through. And again, though design by itself should not be a reason to buy any book, Duckett again created book for which all visual learners will be thankful – making the learning process easier to follow, featuring interactive graphics in order for reader to realize how things should look like on the webpages.

While in the previous book the main subjects were HTML5 and CSS3, this time author discusses JavaScript and jQuery teaching methods how to make your pages simpler in terms of coding, while on same time more interactive and interesting for end user. The only constant things in ever changing web design world is change, though JavaScript and jQuery which appeared almost 20 and 10 years ago were able to impose due to their variety and available options from one web generation to another.

As was the case with his previous book, Duckett again doesn’t disappoint in terms of design resources – inside numerous samples of codes and user exercises can be found that enable novice Java web designer to start working instantly.

Beside first general chapter, the book is divided in additional twelve chapters which respectively deal with following subjects:
- Basic JavaScript
- JavaScript functions, methods and objects
- Decisions and loops
- DOM (Document Object Model)
- jQuery
- Using Ajax and JSON
- Using APIs
- Debugging and dealing with errors
- Content Panels
- Filtering, searching and sorting
- Form enhancement and validation

Though the book shines in the field of design and interactivity, the only drawback for more experienced users will be the lack of content for the more demanding, though this book is still primarily mode for the new and intermediate users, while the more experienced can use some of the other JavaScript titles that I have also previously reviewed, such as ’JavaScript & jQuery: The Missing Manual’ or ‘JavaScript: The Definitive Guide’.

Therefore, looking overall ‘JavaScript and JQuery: Interactive Front-End Web Development’ is fantastic book for new to intermediate user in world of JavaScript and jQuery, and must-buy for self-taught students or as recommended read in the school design departments.

3.0 out of 5 stars Good and informative, but riddled with errors JavaScript novices might not notice., July 23, 2014
I love Jon Duckett's HTML and CSS book, it has been an invaluable resource in my career. I first started learning web development using it. I was eagerly awaiting this book for over a year. I couldn't wait to learn JavaScript any longer, so I picked up JavaScript: The Definitive Guide and learned a lot online thanks to Codecademy, CodeAvengers, and lots of other great online resources. So, I have a pretty good grasp of JavaScript and use it every day in my job. I still picked up this book when it was released because Duckett's previous book was so important to me and it never hurts to get different perspectives and reinforce my skills and knowledge.

I'm about halfway through this book so far and I love it, I'm learning some new things and understanding some concepts from a different angle than I previously did. So, it's already worth the price. However, this book could have used another pass through by a technical editor. It seems like they switched up how they wrote variables and functions halfway through and forgot to fix all the examples in the book. I'm just finishing the events chapter right now and the final example has grievous errors that prevent the page from working as intended. See below:

function writeLabel(e) {

target = e.target || e.srcElement;
textEntered = target.value;
noteName.textContent = textEntered;
}

Go to the accompanying website and try it for yourself: the "Audio Note" text doesn't update. I ignored the first few errors like this but when I got to this point in the book I just had to let others on Amazon know of the problems (my first Amazon review!). I like Duckett and want this book to succeed, but it needs another pass by a technical editor before complete novices can get full utility out of it.

Luckily, I have a good understanding of JavaScript so I can see where the errors are and correct them (maybe it's all a test!?). However, this book is intended for people who have never learned any JavaScript before and thus they will not realize the errors in the code. I'm sure the second printing or edition will fix some of these errors. If you're new to JavaScript, I want to recommend this but there are some gaping errors, so you should be careful and back up your learning with other resources.

5.0 out of 5 stars Must Have, under $40 is a steal!, July 14, 2014
I received the book last week and already found myself lost into it. I have the HTML & CSS book as well; these books are great references for any level of coding. I took a 10 week Front-End Web Development course from General Assembly and it was pretty rough, I had no coding experience at all and struggled through the JavaScript portion. This book is amazing, it offers great illustrations of all codes and the results. I've read a handful of coding books and by far this one of the best, if not the best. I would say this would be close to a magazine if anything, just the format itself is gorgeous, it's not heavy on the text like other books and everything is color-coordinated so you can easily follow along. If you hate reading lengthy, lackluster coding books, then is the book for you. Definitely worth the investment!

5.0 out of 5 stars Outstanding Javascript/JQuery book!, June 30, 2014
I own Jon Duckett's HTML/CSS book as well and I can safely say this author knows how to write a captivating book. Most coding authors make their books boring...with loads of text and mostly bland examples/analogies. Jon Duckett does an amazing job providing understandable analogies and couples them with pictures/diagrams that anyone can understand! As a Web Design intern for my university, this book not only fully describes in detail the syntax, APIs, JQuery's awesomeness, but also provides excellent examples of real life applications that we see everyday utilized by hundreds of websites we see daily. Even when I 'master' Javascript/JQuery, I will more than likely still use this book as a reference. There is just so much material in only 600 some pages! Beautiful pictures, superb examples, and great code walk throughs---the four month wait for this book was more than worth it! Also, for a little over $20...this book is a steal! No website I've been on can even compare to this book. 5/5 easy.

5.0 out of 5 stars I have found Jon's book to be very easy to follow, July 2, 2014
I read the HTML/CSS book by Jon Duckett and was excited to hear that he was releasing a book on JavaScript and JQuery. As a visual learner, I have found Jon's book to be very easy to follow. I love how he uses images, flowcharts, and other visuals to explain web programming. I HIGHLY recommend this book to any aspiring front-end developer.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent Contents and Great John Wiley & Sons Customer Service, August 18, 2014
I have been using the book for a month and then it started torn apart. I contacted John Wiley & Sons publisher to discuss about the issue. He replied me immediately with replacement copy offer.

5.0 out of 5 stars Finally! Good explanations and pictures, July 16, 2014
I have been waiting a very very long time for this book. I have had this on my Wish List for over six months or longer. I love his style of writing (html and CSS book) and you can't go wrong with details and images. I am a very visual person so this is very helpful to me. Thank you so much! It's such a beautiful book.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic read, great illustrations, information dense book., August 3, 2014
This is a great book! I already have a few similar topic books on my web development shelf but this one is fantastic. Despite the fact I am not done finishing all of it, I can honestly say it is better than 95% of ALL my books... Attention to style, detail and a love for design is weaved throughout. I am the type of person that gets bored of looking through 500+ pages of pure white background - black text pages in textbooks. I read a lot so when there is variety in a books illustrations and style, I truly appreciate it. It also really makes the book a lot more enjoyable to read.

The content of this book is up to date, nicely presented, and ranges from beginner to intermediate in technicality. Even with my 14 years front/back end development experience this book is still very relevant and useful. One as a reminder on implementing code I don't come across that often and two as fun book to just pick up and skim through to get some ideas.

Cheers to the authors and everybody else who was involved, this is a great book and absolutely worth the 5 stars and price.

JavaScript and JQuery: Interactive Front-End Web Development
JavaScript and JQuery: Interactive Front-End Web Development by Jon Duckett (Paperback - June 30, 2014)
$39.99 $26.93