Your Garage botysf16 Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Sun Care Patriotic Picks Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer WienerDog WienerDog WienerDog  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Best Camping & Hiking Gear in Outdoors

on March 24, 1999
A very rare O'Reilly book that isn't well written (that's because there is no writing!) An utterly consise book with nothing other than the syntax and VERY brief descriptions programmers will understand immediately. Get it if you need to have that site up and running today.
on August 26, 2000
First off, I'd like to say that I find these pocket reference books absolutely indispensible. They're relatively inexpensive, they contain MOST (if not almost all) of what you need, and they save you the need to carry absolutely HUGE tomes when all you want is just to look something up quickly. If you know HTML and JavaScript, then get this (JavaScript) and the HTML quick references and you'll be able to do almost anything on your own. To nerds, pockets were invented for carrying such useful pocket guides.
The JavaScript pocket ref continues the tradition of indispensible pocket references by O'Reilly. The organisation is good, and the book contains examples and explanations that you wouldn't expect to see in a pocket reference.
Amazingly though, there's no treatment of objects and object oriented programming in JavaScript. Most readers can be expected to know this, but if you're used to programming in C++ and Java, and don't do a lot of JavaScript, it's easy to forget. I think all the missing material on objects could be treated in ONE MORE PAGE. (hint for next edition!)
Otherwise, this is a wonderful book.
on February 13, 2000
Anyone with a mind to program in JavaScript NEEDS this book. I really mean that. It does not waste any time explaining, it gets straight to the rules/syntax of this language. I rate it as top-notch. I lost my first copy so I'm ordering another one. That's how important I think it is.
on March 13, 2000
While I like this reference as a whole, I find it a bit lacking for info that programmers really need. While working with Javascript just today, I found myself struggling because of this book ... it does not indicate whether a returned value from a class property is a string, integer or even a OBJECT!
I found myself trying to perform a "replace" operation on an OBJECT because this book didn't tell me that it returned an OBJECT!
I know it's a little nit-picking and, yes, while someone who has coded in Javascript forever might already know this, for those of us who understand programming and are just looking for a reference book to use its classes, this book is lacking of some important information.
I just hope New Riders comes out with a Javascript reference -- as a Lotus Domino developer, I find their Essential Reference book perfect and invaluable!
on August 30, 2002
I was hoping and expecting that this little book would be the same quick-and-easy reference book that e.g. the "VBScript Pocket Reference" is -- I was sadly disappointed.
Since "JavaScript: The Definitive Guide" is by the same author and publisher, I also expected this book to be a (somewhat) boiled-down version of the very thorough JavaScript Reference from that much larger book. I was even more disappointed there.
In a "pocket reference" such as this I want and need nothing more or less than an alphabetical listing of the JavaScript universe. However, this book is divided into numerous chapters that require you to already know what category the thing you seek belongs to. Since there's no index in these little books, it is useless to me as someone who's still learning this stuff. I've set my copy aside and use the "Definitive Guide" exclusively.
on April 14, 1999
If you already know how to program and just need to learn the JavaScript syntax this is THE book to get. Can't wait until their SQL Pocket Reference is available!
on March 21, 2006
I realize it's a pocket reference, but this is a brief guide to syntax and then the DOM for the rest of the book. It doesn't cover any of the API stuff like the Date class. It'd be nice to have more information at the price of needing slightly larger pockets.
on July 23, 2000
I bought this book because of all the good reviews posted. Unfortunately, I cannot agree. As a good reference tool, I expect it to have at least a good index. So that when I am coding and forget the exact syntax, I can quickly find it. Unfortunately I can't use this book for this purpose. I keep on having to go back to the bulky JavaScript Bible, which has an excellent index.
This book simply does not serve the purpose for me. What good is a concise reference if I can not quickly locate the info I want?
on March 11, 2013
This is the javascript book I've referred to most when I do any web development. It's well organized and easy to search. Despite Google providing the same information online, sometimes it's nice to have a book next to you.
on June 15, 2002
I've found this is a great little reference that I can carry around with me when working on creating web-related programs.
Its primarily a quick-reference guide to all the attributes on each of the common Javascript objects in the DOM (Document Object Model) and a very light overview of syntax.
Don't get this for any kind of help on actually programming Javascript .. this is just primarily a reference.