Published on November 8, 2011 by Shakypete

Published 20 months ago by kevin freeman

4.0 out of 5 stars [Updated 14JUL2012] Pleasant, Simple, more usable upgrade from Jawbone 2, and BlueAnt Z9i, November 8, 2011
This review is from: Jawbone ICON HD - Bluetooth Headset - Black - Retail Packaging (Wireless Phone Accessory)
I bought this for my Droid Bionic. I recently dropped my Jawbone2 (J2) in the driveway, and subsequently ran it over with my car. I still have the BlueAnt Z9i. I didn't care for the J2's software/interface, but it did the job. The 2 hidden buttons were a bit annoying. This ICON HD is just right. It only has a couple functions, which I like. It has an actual power switch (thank goodness), versus the hold area for 3-6 seconds on the J2. The ICON HD is much easier to get into pairing mode than the J2 and the Z9i.

I also like that ICON HD has fewer issues connecting to my phone. It just connects, as long as I have BlueTooth (BT) enabled. My J2 needed me to first enable the phone BT, then power on the J2. The other way around was less reliable, when I needed it. The J2 (V2.0) noise cancellation was very good. The ICON HD noise cancellation (v2.5?)appears to be just as usable. I used to drive a very noisy Honda Civic, but recently upgraded to a new Honda Accord, so the ambient noise is much reduced. I cannot comment on the ICON HD versus my previous noisier vehicle.

The BlueAnt Z9i I have is just not a good headset for newer phones. Its volume cannot be controlled by the phone, and it isn't loud enough. The ICON is maybe slightly louder than the J2, and significantly better than the Z9i. The Z9i also suffered from too many buttons. It was quite irritating to figure out. The ICON HD has one button during operations, and it keeps it simple. It depends on the phone for volume adjustments. It doesn't have any complicated functionality, nor do you have to memorize anything special software patterns of button pushing. The phone has all the control, and does the work. The ICON can do some stuff like bounce between calls, and answer them, but you don't have to use it at all. The phone is much easier to navigate. It can switch between two calls, but I prefer to do it on my phone, to make sure I know who I'm talking to.

My only negative, I haven't found one of the three included looped inside the ear earbuds that fits me. I like the idea, but they need one more in between size, slightly smaller than the large size for me. Included in the box are four disc only style buds to pick from, so you will find an earbud configuration that will work for you. I wasn't able to fit the looped style buds that I wanted to try, but the other options do work just as well. They are a little easier to slip into the ear.

Overall,

+Very usable phone audio (I don't need the music),
+Improved hardware layout
+Reliable pairing
+Decent Noise Cancellation
+Many choices of ear buds (7 + over ear hoop)
+Enters pairing mode easily

-(no longer an issue, see update below)limited choice of the looped earbud sizes, for me.

[Updated 30NOV11]
I've had it for over a month now. I stand by everything I stated above. The Bluetooth is very reliable when attempting to connect during a call in progress. I am so happy with it, I bought a second one for wife, knowing she will find it much more user friendly than the last three she has struggled with. I avoided the top of the line Jawbone Era, as it has too many features, and it just seemed to make it way more complicated than necessary. ShakeShake for pairing, and TapTap for answering calls, seriously? No thanks, I'll just let my phone do the work, the way I already know how! Bluetooth headset manufacturers ought to focus on four features: On/Off, Bluetooth pairing reliability, low battery, and audio quality in and out, including noise filtering. Quit making it harder than it needs to be. Let the phone do the heavy lifting of phone control.

It took me a while, but I stuck with the largest loop earbud, I not have it working just fine. It fits well, and holds very steady. I never tried the over the ear loop. The trick for me was sliding it forward in my ear, then pushing the loop in under my inner ear lobe. It took me a while to get proficient with it. Looking back, I guess I was trying to get it under my inner ear lobe first. I'm not really sure what I was doing, but it makes sense now.

I customized two features on the headset. I changed the voice, via the Jawbone software, and I added a primary phone number to dial. I press and hold the headset button, and it dials that number. I don't use the feature much at all, but a couple times it has been handy. The different voice, if fine too. I enjoy the attitude of the new voice. It makes it just a little more interesting.

[Updated 11JAN12]
(w/ Android phones) If you have it connected when you start playing music, it plays the audio, unless I have the headphone jack occupied. I didn't expect that, but it works okay. I don't really count on the tiny speaker to do the job. I have only charged it three times in three months. I have only had it hiccup once, when pairing while a call is in progress. It eventually worked, but not right a way. Still very happy.

Wife is using it, with no complaints so far. It has been two weeks... She liked the "simple to use" selling points.

[Updated 2APR12]
People still seem to like this review, so here's another update. Works will with iPhone 4. Only hiccups so far are when switching over to the audio for music playback when it is already playing. I think it is the Android OS's problem, not the Jawbone. Wife lost hers, and got upset. She was really liking it. I got another one, all is good. Previously she would just switch to the wired headset, without much complaining, so I think we have a winner! People can tell when I'm on the headset versus playing a phone call through the stereo. I think the Droid Bionic is really good at noise cancellation too. I started using it occasionally for music audio more. It works pretty good. It starts falling out when the ear gets sweaty, about 20 minutes later. It is manageable. It might work better with the ear loop, but I don't care enough to try.

[Updated 14JUL12]
I thought it was worth noting, it went through the clothes washer in the pocket of a pair of jeans this week. Found it when transferring the clothes to the Dryer. Dropped it in a bag of rice and put it out in the sun for four days. Charged it up, and it is still working perfectly, no issues with the speaker, no problems at all.

Another annoyance, I have a Droid, and wife has an iPhone. On a recent road trip I was using it as a audio playback device for a podcast. Her phone was paired with it, as well as mine. Every time I started playing something, it would kick over and connect to the iPhone Bluetooth. I don't understand why, it is probably just how Bluetooth works, but it is worth sharing.

[Updated 6JUN13]
My ICON that went through the wash was mis-placed. It was still working the last time I used it. I'm now on my last one, from the wife. She stopped using it in favor of the iPhone headset that came with her phone. I'm using the medium size loop earbud. It turns out to be the best fit for me. Glad I never tossed them.

[Updated 3OCT13]
My power switch stopped working. I'm not certain why. I contacted Jawbone to see if they can help. The headset still accepts charging, but multiple cycles of the power switch will not turn it on. Still digging how simple this thing is. That should be its #1 selling point. I look forward to using it again.

4.0 out of 5 stars Excellent product, December 17, 2011
What I like about this product:
1. Dedicated on & off switch
2. Noise isolation (even while riding with open-faced helmet)
3. Mytalk.Jawbone.com online tweaks
4. Voice prompts
5. iPhone 4/4S compatibility (i can finally hear music!)
6. Not sure about the HD part,, this is my first jawbone product.
Overall, the construction feels rather solid, an excellent Bluetooth for people on the move, though can be easily misplaced/ dropped without knowing. :P

The only thing I didn't like is the ear fit, maybe I'm more comfortable with in-ear types. It's easy to put on, doesn't drop off, but I need to turn keep it at MAX volume all the time because it's not tight-fitting. The sound escapes, if you know what I mean.

2.0 out of 5 stars not a retail package, uses bulk OEM packaging, round earbuds don't fit, August 10, 2012
If you want to buy the Icon HD, don't buy this from Amazom.com until they fix their supplier issues. They say it is a retail version, yet it comes in a bulk OEM box with the headset tied to the box with a rubber band. The picture from Jess Wilson is exactly what it looks like. I would have kept it, but the round earbuds belong to another jawbone. When the round earbuds are put on, you can see that the grooves in the earpiece and earbuds do not align and it immediately falls off. The sprout earbuds fit fine, just not for my ear. When i first called, the lady at Amazon was really nice and sent me another jawbone that day with overnight delivery and a return slip for my first one. As it turns out, the 2nd jawbone was exactly the same, so they sent me another return slip and refunded my money. The 2nd lady I talked to for the 2nd return was going to fill out the paperwork to remove the listing so others could not buy from the link titled "sold and ships from Amazon", but as of this review, I see you can still buy directly from them. I have since bought from B&H photo as it was the same price and free shipping. It arrives Monday so hopefully that one will be in retail packaging and the earbuds fit as designed.

5.0 out of 5 stars FANTASTIC!!!, May 9, 2012
Previously owned the regular ICON HERO earpiece. Good earpiece in it's own right, but the HD version blows it out of the water. 1st, the volume is twice as loud, 2nd it twice as clear. I use mine for talking on the phone, obviously, but I also use it a lot to listen to music through my phone on the go. The music sounds almost as good as my Jbuds earbuds. I was already used to the earbuds that come with original ICON, so the ones that came with the ICON HD were very easy for me to get used to. I suggest, anybody that finds the ear piece uncomfortable, to give it a few day. It took a week or 2 to get used to how it felt in my ear. Now, I don't even notice it there.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great headset!, May 1, 2013
I bought this headset a few years ago and it still works great! The battery lasts a long time. I literally don't have to charge it for months if I'm not talking a lot. It tells you how much talk time you've got when you press the button, it has different voices you can download. The voice quality is awesome. It fits snuggly in my ear. What more can I say about this? It's just awesome.

5.0 out of 5 stars best headset on the market, April 13, 2012
My Icon was stolen, unfortunately, so i decided to upgrade to the HD version and see how it is. It is the same speaker as the ERA, and it sounds amazing. This thing is LOUD on high. i always have it on medium volume, and i hear the other party very clearly. it's almost the same as the regular ICON, but it seems more stable as a bluetooth connection goes, and it's louder with less distortion. The fit takes some getting used to but overall i am very happy with this headset.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great noise canceling, and much improved over Jawbone 2, December 4, 2013
R. Gibson (Portland, Oregon USA) - See all my reviews
About a month ago, my old Jawbone 2 Bluetooth headset finally died. Over the last month or so I have tried four different headsets until I finally found one that met all of my needs. I am including my brief opinions about each of them for comparison, and to hopefully help some of you narrow your selection down, if you are considering any of these.

MOTOROLA H720
PROS: Easy to use, flip to talk makes answering calls easy. Comfortable.
CONS: Floppy feel. Noise canceling does not work very well.

MOTOROLA HX550
PROS: Flip to talk makes answering calls relatively easy. Its Comfortable. Noise canceling works very well while on calls.
CONS: Noise canceling does not work for voice commands...so forget about using Siri while driving. The compact nature of this headset makes it more difficult to flip open than the H720.

PLANTRONICS M165
PROS: It looks good. Deep sleep mode means you don't need to turn it on and off every time you want to use it.
CONS: Noise canceling not nearly as good as either the HX550 or any of the Jawbone headsets.

JAWBONE 2:
PROS: Noise canceling works very well, both for calls and voice commands.
CONS: Hidden buttons are hard to use. Plastic cover over buttons eventually fatigues and cracks. Turning on headset requires holding hidden button down for three seconds, followed by another three seconds to connect to the phone, causing missed calls.

JAWBONE ICON HD:
PROS: Noise canceling works well, both for calls and voice commands. Single multi-function button is MUCH easier to find and use than on the Jawbone 2. Power switch is easier to use than the hidden button on the J2. Time to connect to an incoming call from power-off is about 1 second, so no more missed calls. 10 days of standby time, so probably won't turn it off anyway. "mytalk.jawbone.com" provides an easy to use interface to the headset. Downloadable voice personalities are fun. Ability to reconfigure multi-function button for volume control or enabling/disabling Noise Assassin is nice.
CONS: Slightly less comfortable to wear than HX550 or M165 in-the-ear, but not bad for short duration. Would probably use over-the-ear hook for extended use.

UPDATE (2/4/2014):
I have been using the Jawbone Icon HD for over two months now and love it. This is the standard by which all other Bluetooth headsets should be measured. Absolutely no complaints at all...small, comfortable, easy to use, and superb noise canceling for both voice commands and phone conversations. This headset costs about twice as much as most entry level headsets, but you truly get what you pay for in this case. Many of the high-end headsets cost about twice as much as this one, and I can't imagine being any happier with them. Excellent value.

1.0 out of 5 stars Great headset bad support- Buy something else, July 24, 2012
I have purchased two of these headsets and they are very nice. I love the hd music capability.
That said, one of the headsets failed within 30 days of purchase. I contacted Jawbone for warranty repair or replacement and was told that since I didn't purchase the item from them the best they could do was a 25% discount on a new headset. At their prices a 25% discount makes it about what I paid on Amazon in the first place. So there is effectively NO WARRANTY on any Jawbone product purchase from Amazon. I don't think it is worth the risk. Only 50% of my purchases have worked beyond 30 days.

1.0 out of 5 stars NOT AS ADVERTISED, July 18, 2012
I must confess that I didn't look closely enough at the seller before placing my order. Although "fulfilled by Amazon", this particular offering was being sold by another company and did NOT arrive as advertised. I was supposed to be new in "retail packaging". It instead arrived NOT in retail packaging but instead with the main unit rubber-banded to a portion of a small box with the rest of the accessory parts in two separate plastic bags. Even those plastic bags were worn and used. The unit appeared to have been either USED or perhaps returned by another buyer. Even the owner's manual/booklet was obviously creased, having been already opened and looked through by another consumer before it arrived with me. One of the rubber earpieces arrived with skin flakes or some other detritus. I'm not usually so detailed, or picky, but when I order something as NEW, especially something I'm going to be sticking in my own EAR, I expect it to arrive, as advertised, NEW in original retail packaging. NOT already opened, handled, and repackaged, at the least, and at worst, already USED somebody else in their OWN EAR for gosh sakes. I looked at this thing for a couple of minutes and promptly got on to the website to process an immediate return.

As for the Icon itself, I've already owned another, and can speak highly of the product itself. My problem here was with the deceptive way in which this particular rendition was presented, rather than with the performance of the product, had it arrived as advertised.

1.0 out of 5 stars Bad Reception with Galaxy S2, March 13, 2012
The Bluetooth sound is always stutering with poor quality voice. When using with Skype, I can never be heard.
Previous model was better.
Real dissapointment.