3,797
Color: Black DiamondPackage Type: Standard PackagingChange
Price:$105.00 + Free shipping with Amazon Prime

1,578 of 1,645 people found the following review helpful
on December 24, 2010
I decided to try out this highly rated bluetooth speaker for my iPad and iPhone and was shocked at its ease of use, sound quality, small footprint, portability and long battery life. I liked the choice of colors which makes these small speakers standout and easy to spot. When I first opened the package, I was pleased that the company included several high quality cords including both short and long micro USB cords for recharging and computer synching, charge adapter, and a tangle-free audio cord for non-bluetooth sources. You can create an account on the Jawbone MyTALK site to download voice profiles and apps. In pairing mode, it easily connected with all of our iPads and iPhones. I tested the iPad first with Netflix, Pandora, Hulu+, Air Video Server, and iTunes. Considering that the speaker is only the size of 2 stacked Wii controllers, the sound was surprisingly strong, clear, full-bodied, and free of hisses or pops that I have experienced with other bluetooth speakers and maintained the bluetooth connection without a single drop. Next, I paired both an iPhone 4 and 3Gs and both easily paired with the speaker. I ran Pandora and tested the speakerphone function which worked nicely. You can program a quickdial number that can be immediately dialed by pushing the round botton on the top when paired with a phone. You can download apps for voice commands which I didn't try since I rarely ever use, but the transmission and receiving sound quality is quite good. The next day, I went to work in the operating room and everyone was curious when I pulled out the small speaker and placed my iPhone by its side. There's no need to bring any cords which is the real advantage of using this speaker for true convenient portability. When I started playing my Pandora selections from the iPhone, no one in the O.R. could believe it was coming out of this small speaker. It obviously isn't going to challenge a Bose SoundDock or Dr. Dre Beatbox, but we all had a pleasant day in the operating room doing a full day of cases with great tunes and the speaker lasted the entire day using only 50% of the battery life. At home, I was surprised when my son was playing games on the iPad downstairs and the sound was coming through the Jambox speakers located upstairs with perfect clarity. I researched all of the bluetooth speakers currently available, and this stands out by far. Personally, I prefer using this small speaker which I can pull out of my labcoat, rather than carrying around a large heavy sounddock with cords shoved in a bag. I now leave the sounddock in my office. The only reason I didn't rate this 5-stars is due to the sticker-shocker price which I personally feel is a bit excessive and would be more competitive in the $150 - $170 range. At the $200 pricepoint, most people are audiophiles and will likely make the unfair comparison to larger sounddocks. On the other hand, this is perfect for people like myself willing to sacrifice a bit of room-filling base-rumbling sound for a truly portable wireless speaker with accurate sound reproduction. Overall, I am very pleased with my purchase and will buy another when and if the price drops.

*****update 9/18/2011******
True to my word, when this went on a Gold box deal for $149, I purchased a second speaker for the kids who used them on camping trips to watch movies on their iPads with their friends. I've been using this daily over the past year with only a few minor issues. I am not a big fan of the latest downloaded software update to add "Live Audio" sound processing which really dampens the sound volume too much to be effective and have only noticed a subtle difference for certain music files. I suspect there will be more reviewers who will knock this device due to dissatisifaction with the Live Audio update, but don't realize that this can be simply toggled on/off by depressing and holding the minus and plus buttons together a few seconds. After purchasing a second one for the kids to use with their iPads, I had to change the bluetooth device names to distinguish multiple speakers since it is default set as "JAMBOX by Jawbone." If you have already synced your i"Device" you will notice that it will keep the old name. Simply go to Settings/General/Bluetooth and select the Not Connected icon and select "Forget this device." This will reset the name for the device and you can simply rescan and resync with the speaker to update the name in your bluetooth device list. I don't understand why there are so many poor reviews for syncing problems which I have never experienced using iOS devices. Other reviewers have also recommended the Soundfreaq SFQ-1 which has equal (to my ears, slightly superior to others) bluetooth sound quality and comparable pricing. I like the SoundFreaq, but I still prefer the JAMBOX due to its smaller size and simple rectangular shape which easily fits in my coat pocket for portability. The sound quality coupled with design factor make this a much more flexible purchase. Ignore reviews that make unfair comparisons to larger expensive office/room audiophile speakers which serve different purposes. I use both the Bose SoundDock and Dr. Dre Beatbox and also really enjoyed the inexpensive, but discontinued Griffin Amplfi speaker which all give a wider and fuller sound experience but are all impractical to drag around with you.

*** update 10/10/2011 ***
The new Jambox 2.1 software upgrade has fixed all the problems with the previous LiveAudio upgrade. The new SoundClarity algorithm is really nice and preserves the higher volume levels. I turn the LiveAudio off when we're in the operating room and it gives nice spatial sound and turn it back on when I'm alone in the office for a softer, but improved sound. I've noticed continued bad ratings complaining of frequent bluetooth connection drops. I have 2 Jambox speakers (blue and black) and have used them daily for 10 months with our iPhones, iPads, and recently an Asus Transformer android tablet and honestly have never had a single connection drop. I use the devices to listen to music in the operating room for 8-10 straight hours and we have have never had a dropped connection. I wonder if folks were unlucky to get a bad speaker or perhaps their problems are actually with their media devices that have outdated bluetooth protocols (i.e. non iOS devices).
2424 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
1,737 of 1,882 people found the following review helpful
on December 8, 2011
On 8 Oct 2011, I received a Jawbone Jambox Bluetooth speaker as a gift, which my husband purchased for me on 6 Oct 2011 from Amazon. It was a great product, with good sound clarity. I was very impressed with the speaker's range and capabilities, although I did feel the usability left a few things to be desired. However, I had a problem in that it didn't seem to hold a charge. I contacted Jawbone's support via e-mail (form on their website) on 29 Nov 2011 for assistance. Unlike many other support services, their agent seemed to be truly reading my e-mails and not just scanning for keywords and sending form responses. However, once we got to the point that we determined an RMA was in order, support informed me that they were "out of stock" and couldn't promise when they'd have a replacement unit in stock. They said I could send my unit in but they couldn't tell me when I'd get a replacement. They could not even give me a range, e.g., 4-6 weeks, 2-3 months.

However, at the same time as they were telling me they were out of stock and could make no promises, they were selling my exact model on their website with indication that they are "in stock", so the claims of being out of stock ring false. When I pointed this out to the support representative, he provided no explanation for the discrepancy but instead continued to say they were out of stock. He recommended I continue to "check in with them" periodically to see if a replacement was available. I asked if, per their stated Warranty, if they could offer a refund since a replacement or repair seemed to be unavailable. Unsurprisingly, they declined that option.

This feels to me very much like an attempt to get out of honoring the warranty by putting the consumer off and/or making it so unappealing as to discourage pursuit of the warranty. At best, I suspect that they're simply "out of stock" of replacement units, i.e., re-furbished units, even though the warranty says replacement will be either new or re-furb and not limited to re-furbished units. I don't think that it's honoring the spirit of the warranty to delay replacement on that basis. I further think it's against the spirit if not the actual wording of the warranty to refuse to replace a faulty unit in any way when the unit failed in less than 60 days from the point of purchase. Finally, I think it's beyond the sense of reason to tell a customer with a ~$200 product that is now a paperweight that it's up to them to keep contacting you periodically to find out when the warranty will be honored. Admittedly, I've been lucky enough to not have very many issues requiring warranty service with my other electronics, but when I have, I have never run into this sort of shenanigan.

After this, there is no way I will spend money with them again, and I advise others to do the same. It may be within Jawbone's legal right to handle warranty requests in this way, but I think it shows an unwillingness to stand behind the quality of the product as well as a lack of caring about their customers once the sale is complete. As for my specific situation, I'm basically out of luck. I'm past the return window (30 days) to return it to Amazon. I'm not the only person who has run into this battery issue, and I wouldn't be surprised if that was part of the cause of their "out of stock" issue on replacement units. Buy at your own risk, because you may or may not ever be able to get Jawbone to actually honor their warranty.

Edited 12/3/2012: Jawbone sent a replacement (which seems to be a new unit) on 11/20/2012 (more than a year after this review), which I received on 11/23/2012. So far, it is working fine, and I will update again after a few more weeks with status as to whether it outlasts the previous unit. I posted more details about my email exchange with Jawbone in the comments on this review, but the most notable aspect is that Jawbone claims to have improved their warranty handling but did not make any specific commitments to a) honor warranty requests or b) ensure in-stock units in reasonable timeframes in the future. While my specific issue has been resolved by this replacement, I don't know that I feel right saying that others should feel fine ordering this product given how long it took to get a response and that the response (both below and in the exchanges in the comment thread on this post) was non-committal as far as how other people's issues might be handled.
134134 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
Hi JC Chupack,

The replacement units that we send to our customers are separate from the ones that you see for sale online. These replacements, although brand new, do not come with accessories or in original packaging. In a situation where a product is out of stock, a replacement order will be made, and then shipped out as soon as the product is back in the warehouse.

We are dedicated to honoring every customer's warranty, and we completely stand behind all of our products. We realize that this review is rather old, but we do encourage you to email us at socialsupport@jawbone.com so that we can sort this out. Thanks!

on February 9, 2012
(Update 6/7/12: If you want to cut to the chase, I found a much better alternative to the Jawbone. Logitech's Mini Boombox http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B005PUZOYM/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?ie=UTF8&m=ATVPDKIKX0DER. It's a lot better and a lot cheaper than the Jawbone, and several months in it's still working flawlessly. Highly recommended.)

This company should be ashamed of this buggy, defective product and the absolutely useless "customer service" it has in place (and trust me, you WILL be calling customer service if you buy a JAMBOX.)

I purchased a new JAMBOX from Amazon on Tuesday, Feb 7th and received it the next day. As it was supposed to be a Valentine's Day gift for my wife, I unboxed the JAMBOX to set it up for her so she could start using it right away.

Right out of the box, the JAMBOX worked fine. It wasn't as loud as the reviews had led me to expect it to be, but it had good sound quality and was decently loud for such a small powered speaker.

The problems began when I did as the manual recommended and configured the JAMBOX via USB by installing the Jawbone Updater app. This "app" simply launches your web browser and has you set up an account at [...]. at which point your JAMBOX is recognized and updated to the latest firmware. You can also choose a different voice for the device, so it talks back to you in a male or female accent in several different flavors.

The software update went fine, the app told me my unit was fully ups to date and ready to go, and that's when my JAMBOX stopped working entirely and never worked right again.

The JAMBOX wouldn't pair over Bluetooth anymore with a Mac, a Windows 7 laptop, or an iPad. When it did pair, nothing came out of the speaker but loud static. Even when the JAMBOX wasn't paired with anything, it still had a loud static noise.

I Googled the issue and found a ton of people having the same problem, and nobody had found a solution even when dealing with customer service. still, I called customer service anyway to see for myself if these were isolated incidents or not.

The first customer service rep I spoke with was a very young woman with zero knowledge of the JAMBOX and no technical understanding at all. It was very obvious she was reading from a telemarketing response tree screen, and she mispronounced L.E.D. "led" as in "Led Zeppelin". She also gave me bogus info about doing a hard reset, which was refuted by...

The SECOND customer service rep I spoke with. He told me the 1st rep's advice to press the call button six time quickly and then hold on the 7th time was wrong - instead I should turn the device off, then as soon as I turned it on again, quickly press the call button 6 times to do the hard reset.

He actually said, "Yeah, it's really tricky, sometimes it takes 10 tries before the reset works."

TEN TRIES?! What kind of nonsense is this? What company puts a product on the market like this without a simple and solid reset option? $25 WiFi routers have a reset button. But a $200 JAMBOX doesn't? Shameful.

This being the 21st Century, I'm well accustomed to gadgets shipping with little to no quality control or beta testing, and it's understood that I'll have to Google around a bit to find out what how the hive mind has solved whatever lingering issues any new device has. This is the first time I've ever spent an hour Googling a product problem and finding NOT ONE SINGLE SOLUTION AND/OR SATISFIED CUSTOMER. Don't believe me? Check out JAMBOX's own official forum right here: http://forums.jawbone.com/t5/Jawbone-Speakers/ct-p/speakers.

This company spent a ton of money on slick Web videos and buying up all the right gadget reviewers so the JAMBOX would get great buzz. Unfortunately, the JAMBOX itself is a piece of crap. The tech support is non-existent, and even the company's own user forums, where by all rights there should be company representatives answering questions and pointing users toward the right solutions, are only populated by angry buyers like me who feel like suckers for believing the hype about this magical tiny Bluetooth speaker that filled a room with loud, full stereo sound and fit in the palm of your hand.

Maybe you'll read this and write me off, thinking "heh, every gadget has a few angry nuts who just like to complain because they're miserable to begin with", etc. But let me tell you something: I have NEVER written an Amazon negative review before, and I've bought thousands of items here. All kinds of tech products. Never have I felt as wholly scammed by a product and a company as I have with this JAMBOX.

You've been warned. If I can save one person from the crappy afternoon of fruitless troubleshooting I had today, it was worth the time it took to write this.
4949 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
Hi Corey Greenberg,

We want every one of our customers to have an amazing experience with the JAMBOX. Obviously, we are disappointed that you were not completely satisfied with yours. We would really appreciate it if you could send us an email at socialsupport@jawbone.com so that we can find a way to make this right for you.

In regards to your comment about the forum, Jawbone reps are frequently on the community to provide help and support to our customers. We try very hard to catch problems as they arise and provide answers and solutions as quickly as possible. We are making big changes to the community soon, so we encourage you to check it out!

on February 8, 2011
I originally wrote a review entitled, "Monstrously dissatisfied." Out of the box, my Jawbone Jambox sounded horribly distorted when playing my laptop's music. Before returning it I searched the web one more time to see if there was anything that could be my fault and found a useful thread called, "Terrible Sound Quality" (link below) on Jawbone's site. There I discovered that my Apple MacBook Air had two different drivers and the wrong one was selected, not that I was prompted at any point in the installation by either Jawbone or Apple. I also read that no one knew how to select the right driver on my operating system, Snow Leopard 10.6. With a little poking around I figured it out and now I think the Jambox is behaving the way it's supposed to.

I give the Jambox 4 stars because:
(a) it does a good job as a bluetooth speakerphone with my iPhone, improving a bit on the iPhone's capacity to do that job itself. I used it in my hotel room while it was charging, right out of the box. It was a couple of feet away from me as I worked and I could hear the other parties clearly and they could hear me. Then again at a meeting in an office when a speakerphone was needed impromptu, I whipped it out and there was no fuss, just performance.
(b) As an external bluetooth speaker it provides fine quality - not superb - but, for its size it's better than any of the other solutions I have purchased over the years. It's handy to have no cords (a corded set of speakers by the same price would outperform the Jambox). However, it is wonderful to have this wireless box for both my iPhone and laptop when I work around the house (my home office), and I have even used it in the car enjoyably.

On another note, my 12 yr old just picked it up and took it downstairs to see how far it could travel from my laptop and still pump out the music. It was impressive. He made it all the way downstairs to the other side of our house before losing the connection.

[...]
99 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on March 16, 2013
In short, I would never recommend this device to anyone. Here's my experience with the Jawbone Jambox:

While the sound quality is decent and the build quality is good, poor design with the headphone jack ruins the Bluetooth functionality. From what I understand, there is a circuit in the headphone jack that tells the Jambox when the headphone jack is in use and when it is not, and due to terrible design and even worse quality assurance testing, the device was rolled out with this circuit not functioning properly. As a result, you get what many other people are complaining about. When Bluetooth is on and music is playing, all you get is static and feedback. I do not know what causes this, but it started happening to mine about 2 months ago and the warranty is expired, of course.

This is where the fun part begins. I contacted Jawbone support and they basically said "sucks, bro." I was given the standard runaround from tech support. Yes, I updated the firmware. Yes, I tried a hard reset. Yes, I made sure the device was paired to my phone. Yes, I made sure the device was turned on. Customer service was non existent, tech support was worthless, and now all I have left is a 200 paper weight unless I want to plug my phone into the device via the 3.5 mm cable, which entirely negates the reason for buying a BLUETOOTH speaker.

All I wanted was a product that worked. Jawbone couldn't provide that, and couldn't remedy the situation after they pushed their terrible product on me. I guess that's the price you pay for early adoption of new-ish technology.

Moral of the story? Buyer beware.
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on May 17, 2011
I already have two Foxls from Soundmatters. The Jambox is based on the same acoustic design from Soundmatters but inside a different body and as claimed by Aliph with optimized and reinforced body design. Therefore I hoped the Jambox would give me some improvement in sound, but i was wrong.

Both of my Foxls are different versions, the first one is version 2, the new one version 2.2 and there are significant differences in sound between both. The first Foxl had horrible bluetooth quality, apart from that my main criticism was the somewhat weak maximum volume. This improves a lot when plugged in, but from battery the Foxl was not loud enough for my taste resulting in distorted sound as soon as turned up a bit strogner. The newest Foxl is different, bluetooth quality has improved and the sound is more refined. Treble is less harsh while at the same time bass is stronger in the upper frequencies, as mids are clearer than before. Unfortunately the newest Foxl suffers even more at higher volume levels. The previous version applied some kind of compression/limiting to the music when turned up louder to avoid distortion. This is the typical effect you also get when listening to FM radio stations. To achieve maximum volume and drown any background noise, most radio stations apply compression to the music. The new Foxl doesn't do that anymore, so it distorts more quickly especially with peak-sounds like kick-drums etc. It tries to avoid distortion differently. When there is lots of bass, it lowers overall volume noticeably, which results in a somewhat "pumping" effect. I am not sure if I really like the new approach better than before. The previous compression was more "musical" and added a bit of "punch" to the music at higher levels.

Now to the Jambox: It sounds more or less like the previous Foxl version with improved Bluetooth streaming quality. But the unit I received has additional problems with the housing that resonates when deeper bass notes are played. Compared to the newest Foxl the Jambox sounds inferior by all means when listening to both at normal levels. Bass from Foxl is stronger and cleaner at the same time, bluetooth quality is similar with both, but compared to a wired connection both still sound noticeably worse through bluetooth. At higher levels the Jambox behaves the same as the old Foxl, it seems to apply the same compression and sounds louder and less stressed than the newest Foxl, but overall I was not able to detect any improvements in sound compared to the "original". Despite of the bigger size, the Jambox still has the same low output like the Foxl. There is no dynamic sound adjustment depending on the output level. I was begging for this for a long time. Adding a bit more bass at lower volume and taking a bit of bass away at higher volume to optimize output at all listening levels.

The only real difference is the design. So if you really want a blue, red or grey brick, you will be better off with a Jambox, otherwise i suggest you to take the Foxl. If you don't need loudest output, the newest Foxl version sounds definitely better and is smaller at the same time. But the differences in maximum volume between Foxl and Jambox are in reality not that huge. Both are not suitable at all for outside listening. It should also be mentioned that when plugged in, output is cleaner and louder from the Foxl. It plays with double power (2x4 Watt) then, unlike the Jambox which only has 2x2 Watt regardless if running from battery or plugged in.

I am sending my Jambox back, as I see no real advances. Despite the rubber coating, the Jambox also dances around when playing bass-heavy music. You also have to use some cloth or additional rubber mat (like the one included with the Foxl) to avoid this.

I am still hoping for an improved Jambox version. *crossingfingers*

Update:
Meanwhile Jawbone has done 2 firmwareupdates. Version 2.0 was quite a disaster, because it lowered maximum volume quite a bit according to many disappointed users. I hadn't done the update as i didn't want to screw up the volume of my Jambox. But some weeks later Jawbone came up with a fix and announced firmware 2.1. The volume issue has been fixed and the user can choose now between clarity ON and OFF. OFF is the way how it was before, but ON makes the output considerable lower, thus all the complaints, although Jawbone still claims this is to provide a clearer distortion-free sound and is not lower at all... Well, I prefer it louder to tell the truth and have set clarity to OFF.
The more interesting feature is the new "Liveaudio" setting. Pressing both volume buttons simultanously you can switch between both modes. With Liveaudio the Jawbone sounds considerably larger at low volumes. The frequency response has been tweaked for a more bassheavy clearer sound, which is much broader at the same time. You have the impression if the sound was coming beyond the small Jambox. Unfortunately with active Liveaudio the maximum volume is as low as it is with clarity ON and the other problem is that Liveaudio distorts at higher volume levels. It sounds pretty good with low levels up to speech volume, but turn it a bit louder (still far from maximum volume in normal mode) and Liveaudio distorts heavily, especially noticeable with bassdrum sounds, or low bassnotes etc.

I still hope Jawbone will do some further tweaks to improve sound in future. Liveaudio shows great potential, but it should adjust its sound to the volume automatically, now Liveaudio is trying to push too hard in the bass department which results in considerable distortion. It would have been better if Jawbone tuned the bass down, if you increase volume. I already complained, but nobody seems to listen...
44 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on August 14, 2013
The Jambox is designed with a faulty USB charging port that is easily breakable. There are countless customers complaining on Amazon and Jawbone forums about the exact same problem. If your USB port breaks a month after the 1 year warranty then you are the proud owner of a useless brick. Any unusual tweak to the pressure applied to the USB micro cable can easily break off this port from the small I/O board inside the unit.

The Jambox is relatively easy to disassemble and one can get to the I/O board quickly and easily with only one special tool that is commonly owned by most tech hobbyist. I could repair this myself in 10 minutes. The I/O board snaps into place. Yes, snaps... like a lego.

The problem is that Jawbone refuses to offer a replacement I/O board as an option, even if I want to fully pay for the part and shipping.

They have ignored other's requests in the forums for this same replacement part.

They continue to make this same product designed with the same weak USB connector and won't go out of their way to help a customer who is trying to meet them half way. Why would anyone buy a replacement product that they know is highly likely to break again?

I will not buy another Jawbone product.
33 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
The manufacturer commented on this review (What's this?)
Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback, we really appreciate it. We are sorry to hear that your JAMBOX is not working as expected. We would love to get in touch and resolve the issue you've been experiencing, so please email our Customer Advocacy team at socialsupport@jawbone.com - they will make sure you are all taken care of!
on September 5, 2011
I got this product because a good friend had recommended it to me (we usually have the same taste in electronics among other things). Both he and I travel for our jobs and having a nice and compact speaker system is a nice to have when you are in a hotel room for a month or so. Actually, he demonstrated his Jambox for me while we were in Japan, and I thought the sound quality was pretty good for its size (this, of course, happened about 5 minutes later as there were some Bluetooth pairing complications due to the unit's low battery). In the end, while in Japan, I ordered the Red Dot Jambox and timed it to be shipped to my California address the same time I'd be home for a brief visit so I could go back to Japan with my new toy.

My first impression when I opened the box was that it was a very nice looking product and came with a nice variety of accessories: compact case for the Jambox, short and long USB charging cables, USB wall charger and AUX cable. I immediately plugged the unit into the wall to charge, powered it on, and connected it to my iPhone 4 via the AUX cable. As expected, the sound was flawless since it was directly connected to my phone. The sound was impressive and the bass really kicked in also. After the AUX check, I let the unit charge for about 30 minutes and then proceeded to test the Bluetooth portion. It took me about 5 minutes to pair it up with my iPhone and stream some music from iHeartRadio (the sliding power switch and its LED lighting scheme takes some time to get familiar with). Success!

At this point, I thought I'd be taking this thing back to Japan so I can enjoy my music from this speaker instead of my iPhone/iPad/laptop; however, this was not the case... I went to sleep with the music streaming from my phone to the Jambox. The next day I woke up and the music was not playing anymore. My phone still indicated that the music was playing, but there was no sound from the Jambox, only static. Perplexed, I turned off the Bluetooth from my phone and the music started playing on my phone again. I tried turning on Bluetooth, re-pairing, forgetting, re-pairing, and basically every combination to try to get the Jambox to play again but with no success. I then reverted back to the AUX cable, and as I expected, music would play from the Jambox again. A quick search on Google confirms that many people have experienced the same type of problem with many occurring after updating their units' software/firmware. I read that some people were able to get the Bluetooth mode on the Jambox working again by inserting the AUX cable about 3/4 of the way into the unit (leaving the other end unconnected), so I gave it a try. Voila, it worked! However, when you pull out the AUX cable, the music stops and the static returns. Slightly puzzled, I did some more reading on Google and saw people were getting replacement units directly from Jawbone when they contacted Customer Service, so I quickly followed suit...

My first call to Customer Service had me perform a "Soft Reset" of the Jambox after unpairing the unit with my phone. After the unit was powered on again, I paired it up with my phone (which I was currently using to talk to the rep). Once the unit paired, it automatically went from my phone's receiver/speaker to that of the Jambox (I was actually a bit surprised because I never really intended to use the Jambox for a speaker phone, but it was nice to know that this feature was still working). The rep then instructed me to try to play music, so I opened up iHeartRadio again and started playing a station. To my amazement, the music started streaming to the Jambox even while I was still on the call with Customer Service, so I thought the problem had been resolved and tried to get the music to stream normally again. But when I ended the call, the music also stopped. To my understanding, there is a hierarchy on what the Jambox will stream audio: I think it goes AUX, phone calls, music (so basically AUX before Bluetooth and phone calls before music). This was also confirmed by the Customer Service rep, saying the music should not be playing while we were on our call. After more troubleshooting with no luck, I started reading up on a user who had the same issue as mine but was able to get his working by sticking a small screwdriver into his AUX port on the Jambox and removing it (basically similar to inserting the AUX cable and removing it). Getting frustrated, I gave it a try and actually got it to stream on one attempt. But with the success rate being very, very low, I decided to call Customer Support one more time for more troubleshooting advice and having the last resort intention of asking for a replacement unit (which eventually I would not do). Same thing as the first call, "Soft Reset" followed by a "Hard Reset", still no luck. The rep also suggested to update the SW, which I found absurd since the Jambox was working fine the night before. This was clearly a hardware problem. In my experience it was similar to a problem which I suffered once with my iPhone 3G; when listening to music through headphones, I unplugged the headphone jack from the phone, but the phone still thought the headphones were plugged in. There's a switch in the jack which senses if something is plugged in or not. Solution: insert headphones and remove again. I figure this was the same type of problem that was happening with the Jambox.

After the whole ordeal with Customer Service and trying to get this unit back to life, I decided to just give up and return it. Like it says in the title, the idea of this product is nice, and it packs a nice punch with its sound and capabilities; however, the quality of this $179.99 product is severely lacking. 1 day and the unit is malfunctioning. In others' experiences, upgrade software and then the units malfunction. I'd gladly fork over the $179.99 for something like this since I can conveniently put it in my suitcase when I travel, but I won't be doing so until Jawbone comes out with a new and improved model which is free of all the quality issues and is clearly labeled as such (i.e. Rev 3 or what have you).

2 Stars, don't buy until quality is fixed, and just read all the reviews on this product.
77 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
Hi Omar!

We work very hard to make sure that all products sent out to our customers are of the highest quality. Unfortunately, on rare occasions our customers may receive a product that has some issues. It is our policy to quickly replace these units under our one-year limited warranty.

We have made big improvements to our service since your review was posted last year, and we continue to learn from great customer feedback such as yours. We truly value your business and hope that one day you will give us another chance!

on January 2, 2012
The Jawbone Jambox is a pretty good wireless bluetooth speaker. It is compact, good sound for its size and is priced below $200. There are unadvertised secrets you should know about.

1. It contains a nonreplaceable rechargable battery. YMMV, but I have had these lithium batteries last from a few months to a few years.

2. The warranty is at the sole discrecion of AliphCom ("Jawbone"). According to customer service reps John, Erick, Juan and Marco, the warranty applies to units purchased at the twelve (12) retail stores listed on the AliphCom ("Jawbone") website. Note, the website does not include Amazon or the various Amazon resellers. It does not include the various Ebay sellers. There is no exception to the rule. There has never been an exception to the rule. There are no supervisors to speak with and no one at AliphCom ("Jawbone") management has returned my phone calls and emails. You are warned.

3. I have a small bass rattle in my Jambox. I listen to jazz, so the rattle is easy to hear. I have been told to re-pair for months and I foolishly accepted that reply until my co-workers brought their jambox to work and it played quite well at medium high volumes with no distortion. When I asked for repair or replacement, I learned my unit purchased at a retail price was not under the AliphCom ("Jawbone") warranty. All notes in my customer service contact file are gone before March, 2011 which included a reference to buy a unit from a non-authorized seller.

Did everyone notice the 1on1 seller here on Amazon and others here Amazon are not on the 12 approved seller list? If you buy a Jambox here, do you know you are buying without a AliphCom ("Jawbone") warranty? Most won't need it. And when the nonreplaceable battery goes, there is no renewal option. So maybe the issue is moot in 24 months or so.

So if any of you attend TED Global like I do from time to time, say hello to Hosain Rahman. This is the CEO of AliphCom ("Jawbone"). Let him know about the reviews of his product, company and employees.

(update 01/10/2012) I was so hoping the comment from Kwon W Kim were correct. But as the weeks pass, I still am waiting for that promised return call from Jawbone management. Just to be clear, here's how it works. Customer Service will speak with you instructing you how to break pairing and re-pair your device. They explain the cords and the plugs. Pre-Sales says a lot all encouraging. "Sure Amazon sales are covered by warranty". The issue is when you need an RMA for a return or exchange, the story changes. There are lots of similar reviews showing Jawbone's lack of consistancy. Buy it if you want. Use it with pleasure. Just don't expect actual support from Jawbone. Jawbone is still refunding purchases of Jawbone UP. Maybe someday they will offer the same to defective Jambox users.
66 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on February 11, 2012
Pros:

Jambox has great design and functionality!

Cons:

Build quality is suspect - internal micro-usb charging port broke loose attempting second charge of unit within 15 days of first use. With no way to charge it, the unit is now a dead black brick. This is only a sample of one, so perhaps I was just unlucky.

Service: I have to pay for shipping to get a replacement refurbished unit and I can only get the garish red or blue varieties not the black I purchased. I am not sure why I have to pay for their product failures especially given the premium price. I am most disappointed with Jawbone.
33 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
James R. Hanschen,

Per our warranty, all customers are required to send back their unit before a replacement is issued. We apologize if this caused any inconvenience and we'll definitely take your feedback into consideration. We hope that you're enjoying your new JAMBOX!

Your Recently Viewed Items and Featured Recommendations