Your Garage Summer Reading Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it Recess Monkey Fire TV Stick Sun Care Patriotic Picks Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer WienerDog WienerDog WienerDog  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis Segway miniPro STEM

on November 5, 2004
This game is the best. I tell all of my friends to BUY it for every kid on the list. The game can be played as the directions state or a variation. For the older child play memory or matching. My 2 year old loves to group the colors, simply identify the animals or sound, and match the cards to the board. This is my six year olds favorite game and has been since he received it for his 3rd birthday. Best of all it can be quickly replayed if the wrong person(mom) wins the game. The whole family will enjoy.Strategy, memory, and fun!!! As far as i can tell Toys R Us is the only place to buy this great game.
33 comments|247 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on January 24, 2003
My 4 yr old got this game as a gift and, although
slowly at the beginning, learned to play it very
well. He loves it so much and makes everyone play
it with him (and frequently wins against adults).
Along with my father-in-law, he came up with a few
alternative rules (build 5 in a row to win instead
of 4, etc.) that makes it even more fun. My son
enjoys it so much, in fact, that now he demands to
be called "Unicorn" !!! :) He has also developed a
particular talent for drawing a Unicorn or a Dragon
(or both) in almost every game. We used to help my son
by trying to deal those cards to him, but have long
since stopped and he still manages to draw them more
often than the statistical odds would suggest :)
Encouraged by how much he loves his sequence game, we
decided to buy him another board game and bought him a
100-acre wood edition of Candyland. What a disappointment
it was for all of us! You can check out my full Candyland
review if you want, but it all boils down to this: don't
waste your money on Candyland and buy this game instead -
it's great and our whole family, just like the other
reviewer's, loves to play it together.
One last thing to keep in mind: given the board size, the
game is better played with 2 or 3 players, not 4
(especially if you require 5 in a row to win instead of 4).
0Comment|176 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on April 21, 2005
I put this game on my son's wishlist for his 5th birthday. I was searching for some board games that we could play together quietly while my daughter is napping. I was not familiar with the game, but after reading the reviews I added it to his list and I am glad I did. It is very simple and easy to learn (a three year old could definitely play this) and a good first game to start learning about strategy (you need four in a row to win). Many of the other games we have played are pure luck (like Candyland and Chutes and Ladders). This game gives kids the opportunity to do some decision making.
on September 6, 2004
This game is terrific. We bought it for our 4 year old but our 8 year old enjoys playing it just as much. It is probably too challenging for the age group it is listed for and better suited for 5-8 year olds. It is one game that my husband and I don't mind playing over and over again. It is educational and fun and teaches strategy and is different each time. I would highly recommend it for any child.
on February 8, 2007
I got this game for my 3 year old for xmas. Her 5 and 6 year old sisters are starting to understand more board games and this sounded perfect for her. My opinion is that it is no where near appropriate for someone under 5-6 years old. My 3 and 5 year olds are of normal intelligence and my 6 year old-brilliant. The 3 year old works to match the animals and doesn't always remember she's suppose to be putting 4 in a row. She CERTAINLY doesn't understand the idea of strategy of putting chips near other animals to set-up possible rows. The 5 year old knows that, but doesn't grasp the strategy of blocking anyone or removing someone's chip that would prevent them from winning.

I know i'm their mom, but I don't think they are any less than normal in their understanding of games and the goals of games that are age appropriate.

Its just my opinion that this is wholly misrepresented in its age-range. Otherwise it's a great game. I gave it 3 stars only because the children withing the age-range stated aren't able to understand it and I wouldn't buy it again. We've just had to make up our own rules so the kids can still 'play'.
1818 comments|235 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on March 23, 2003
This has turned out to be a very good game for our kids. They
are 5 and 3, they are able to play this game by themselves (I
have to deal the cards to get them started) I don't mind playing
it myself, we have the usual Candyland, Chutes and Ladders, etc.
and I probably like this the best. The other day I had 4 kids
playing, and I didn't have to interfer all too much.
on October 12, 2003
I have enjoyed the adult version of Sequence since it first came out. It was the top selling game that year - and - they don't even advertise! I found this game during the multi-state blackout this summer - I figured we could play by candlelight on our patio set. My son (4 1/2) loves this game. I don't have to keep reminding him of what to do, which is a huge plus. I'm not a fan of "gimmicky" games, those that are more on the toy side rather than game side - I cannot stand The Wheels on the Bus (I tell my son it's broken). Being a game player myself, I want my son to enjoy games whether it's cards or board games and this is one that I can enjoy playing with him over and over again.
on August 30, 2004
If you are ready to move on from the incredibly boring memory games then Sequence is for you! My 3 1/2 year old loved this! The concept is easy but it requires a bit of thinking, strategy, and luck (which never hurts). She is 5 1/2 now and still chooses to play this game. I'm thinking we may be ready to move on to the original Sequence because she thinks she is such a pro at this.

This will definitely be put in the attic, unlike most of her games in this age range (Ex. Hungry Hippos---boring!), for when my son is ready for it. It's nice that you can actually play a game where the child actually is expected to think a bit.
on December 8, 2006
It's unfortunate that most game makers create such mind-numbing games for little kids. We've gone through a bunch that were just boring games of chance - no thinking involved. I really prefer to find the ones that teach them something, or require the kids to use their brains in order to win the game. Sequence for Kids has just the right amount of strategy for this age group.

Sequence for Kids is very, very simple to play. Each person is dealt three cards. You play one of your cards by putting a chip on a matching space on the board (each animal is represented twice on the board, so you're faced with a choice on which to use), discard that card and pick a new one. Included in the deck are two Unicorns which are "wild", and two Dragons which allow you to remove an opponents chip. Then there are "free spaces" at each corner of the board. Your goal is to get 4 of your chips in a row before your opponents do.

Younger kids will simply put their chips down without really thinking about the strategy. My son, who's 2, can play along with us this way. He doesn't care about winning or anything, but it's still easy enough for him to do. My daughter got this game when she was 3, and right about when she turned 5, she really got into the blocking aspect of it. It's really awesome to see such a young child use strategy, and think about other people's moves while still thinking about their own.

Each game moves along very quickly and only takes a few minutes to play. Great for short attention spans (the kid's and adult's). It's also easy as an adult to play to lose, giving a young child a chance to win and keep the game going a bit longer.

I love this game, my kids love this game. We're on our second one because our dog ate the cards for the first one. I give it to all of my daughter's friends for their birthdays, so now they all know how to play and can get a game going when they visit.
on October 4, 2005
I bought this for my 4 year old daughter because I have always loved playing the adult version of this game. This is such a great game for kids and I love playing it too :). I am so glad I got this for her, I would recommend it to anyone looking for a good game for their kids.