Automotive Deals HPCC Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Crown the Empire Fire TV Stick Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer showtimemulti showtimemulti showtimemulti  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis Segway miniPro

on June 12, 2001
Sequence is one of those rare games that can be played by many people of widely different ages at the same time. A little skill and a lot of luck make this an easy game to learn, but sometimes very tough to win. It's more of a card game than a board game, so I can see why one reviewer said it requires "no skill," but I don't think that's a reason to "dis" the game: after all, most card games rely more on luck than anything else, don't they? However, I don't really think you can call this game "educational" except in the sense that it does help the younger kids learn about the suits and types of playing cards. And so what if it's not educational? It's Fun!
The game description does not tell you that although 2 to 12 people can play, it must be in multiples of 2 or 3. There are only 3 sets of color chips to play with, and you have to have evenly divided "teams" when you play with more than 3 people. This means that 2, 3, 4, 6, 8, 9, 10 or 12 people can play, but not 5, 7 or 11. (I'm sure you can figure out some way to make this work, too, especially if you've got younger children who want to get into the game).
Sequence is really easy to learn, and games are usually short, so you can play a few before you move on to something else. The biggest problem (if you can call it that) my crowd has experienced has been the "no table talk" rule of the game, which just lets us fool around trying to get our team-mates to know how we'd like them to play without saying it directly.
If you're looking for a challenge, or to show how much smarter you are than everyone else, go somewhere else, but if you're looking for a fun and "no-brain-strain" game that you can play with the kids, that "special someone" or a bunch of friends, this is well worth adding to your game collection.
0Comment| 178 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on September 9, 1999
This is a great game for adults and kids- it combines strategy, skill and a little luck so that it is always exciting. My 6 year old is too young to play except on a team but my 10 year old loves it as do my wife and I. One has to think when the board gets crowded with chips and the room gets very quiet when someone is one chip away from a sequence. The game can be played in anywhere from 15 minutes to 45 minutes.
on August 14, 1999
Whenever my family wants to play a game we play Sequence, because its easy to learn, way fun to play, and it doesn't take forever to play! Whenever we play Risk or game like that, it takes us two hours to get through it, but this game only take 15 to 20 minutes to play so we don't have to make a whole night of it! You can have fun playing in teams or just two or three people against each other. It was an awesome game!
VINE VOICEon July 6, 2001
Few members of my family like games as much as I do. It's like pulling teeth to get them to play. But, this game gets played even if I'm NOT THERE to start it. My 80 year old father and 55 year old sister even have grudge matches! After teaching it to other friends and family, we have been asked to "buy it for Christmas" for them. So far, we've given five of these games, by request. It's an easy game to teach and you can learn it in about 5 minutes. We've played with two to eight people. We like it best as a one on one game or in two person teams. Sequence is like Bingo, Po-ke-no and a "luck o' the draw" card game. It's not heavy on strategy, but it does make you think. Chance plays a big part, especially when you draw a Jack since it is WILD. Just BE CAREFUL, IT'S ADDICTIVE! Some have lost many hours of sleep for "just one more game".
on December 2, 1999
I love this game, I've played it hundreds of times by now. It is one of the few games that just 2 people can play and the rules are simple, it only takes a minute to refresh your memory if you havent played it in awhile. I can't stand those other games where you struggle through complicated rules and instructions when you just want to get the game started. Often by the time I understand the game I dont feel like playing it anymore, this one gets you into the game asap. It's equally fun with 3 people and you really don't have the advantage of knowing a game better than a newcomer, they pick it up quickly.
VINE VOICEon December 4, 2003
Sequence is a board game and card game all in one! It doesn't take long to understand how to play - but good luck wanting to stop! My family has had this game for a year now - and it has never hit the bottom of the pile of games! My 5 & 4 yr old daughters love it too! They play by themselves or team up with Dad & I.

The game consists of a board with 2 decks of cards printed on it. 2 decks of cards are used to play the game, along with 3 different colors of chips. 2-12 players can play - tho I recommend keeping it to 2, 3 or 6 to be the most fun. You are dealt approximately 6 cards (depends on the # of players) and you use those cards to put your chips on the board. The goal is to get 5 chips in a row (a Sequence!)and get the most Sequences on the board before it is full. There are wild cards to throw some guessing into the mix too!

This is a wonderful family game! I highly recommend it. This one won't disappoint even the youngest or oldest of players!

1smileycat :-)
on January 1, 2006
Friends of ours have this game and brought it out on an evening after dinner. I was very hesitant at first. I don't normally like board games with cards or chips. I typically prefer more outspoken, interactive games. Surprisingly, I rather enjoyed this game. I love playing defense and keeping my opponent from making five in a row. This game is smart and fun at the same time. I would recommend that anyone try this. It can be addicting.
on September 17, 2002
a hit!
~ * ~ * ~ * ~ * ~ *
I'm always looking for more games to play with my nieces, especially the 11 year old, who is getting good at chess,and always beats me at Mancala. This game is simple enough to learn that the 9 and 10 year olds were willing to play too. For kids who have trouble with individual competition, this game has an interesting team play option also.
-----
The game board has 104 spaces with the pictures of the cards in two standard card decks arranged in a big rectangle, but not in order. The object is to play your hand (5-7cards at a time, depending on the number of players) to form a sequence of card squares.(markers are used to show the filled squares. ) The jacks have special wild card rules, some can be used on any space, and some can be used to substitue your marker for your opponents.
-----
This game is very easy to learn and has the advantage that you dont need to learn new pictures, the cards are two standard decks. They could be replaced if necessary by any decks of cards if you lost some cards from the original set, and used up all the jokers as replacements.
------
After you've played once or twice, it becomes clear that certain strategies for making a row might backfire if the other player gets the wild card that allows her to remove your piece and take the spot. Or your using that play yourself, may backfire.
My 11 year old still is usually the winner, but the rest of us have enough of a chance to make it competitive.
~ * ~ * ~ * ~ * ~ *
This is a great family game for 2 to 4 players. Simple enough that ages 8 and up can play and compete with adults , and just tricky enough for the adults to find it great fun too.
VINE VOICEon January 1, 2004
You don't have to be a game person to like this game, which plays easily from two to four people. It's got a playing board, poker chips, and uses two decks of cards. But you don't have to figure a lot out, or do a lot of math, or hold a lot of cards (just six at a time). It's part luck, part thinking and, with four persons, part teamwork. Not as thorny and infinitely long as chess, nor as obvious as checkers, not a strategic all-nighter like Risk, or a major undertaking like Monopoly. Not a way-too-educational game you got instead of a toy for your birthday (to your dismay). If you like all those games, you'd probably enjoy Sequence also. But if you're not a game person, and don't like all of the above, this might be the one game you would like. It's like hearing a clean joke that's actually funny, or finding non-alchoholic beer that tastes good. The odds are stacked against it, but Sequence may have beaten the odds. The only other game I like this much is Battleship, but if you hate Battleship, you may still like Sequence. If you've already got Cranium, empty the box out and put the Sequence pieces in the Cranium box. Then you've got the best of both worlds: a great game and great Gary Baseman box art.
on June 8, 2000
I now add this to my list of favorite games to play. It is easy to learn, fun for all ages, almost any number of people can play, doesn't take forever to play, and takes a little strategy and a lot of luck. I don't care for games that are too competitive or pit one's intelligence against another's. I think games should be fun and avoid bruising one's ego. This requires just enough strategy that you have control over the game, but requires a lot of luck to pull it off. I recommend it!