1,798 Reviews

5.0 out of 5 stars My first excellent Bluetooth device
I compared the Jaybird Bluebud X to three other great Bluetooth headsets.

Published 17 months ago by PACS Man

3.0 out of 5 stars Sound quality = awesome! Fit = terrible!
So after searching for a couple of weeks in hopes of replacing my now dead Motorola S9-HD, I came across this little product. I picked it up at a local store, we will call "Super Purchases," and gave it a try.

Pros:
Published 17 months ago by Spartacus

5.0 out of 5 stars My first excellent Bluetooth device, March 9, 2013
PACS Man (Denver, CO USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: JayBird BlueBuds X Sport Bluetooth Headphones - Midnight Black (Wireless Phone Accessory)
I compared the Jaybird Bluebud X to three other great Bluetooth headsets.

To test music, I listened to Pandora One (the higher quality feed). To test voice, I left myself voice mail messages while clicking some CD Jewel Cases to create background noise. I created this background noise because it simulates the frequencies that interfere with most microphones. I also replaced the standard earphone tips with Comply Premium Earphone Tips as these tips work best for conducting sounds to my ears.

1. LG Tone HBS-730:
a. The music was good but not as good as listening to a music CD.
b. Listening to phone calls presented good clarity and moderate volume.
c. Speaking to phone calls was weak and included background noise. Some of the noise was EMI and some was hiss. Overall, it was hard for the listener to discern my words.
d. Noise rejection was not good. Background noises eclipsed the voice speaking into the microphone.
e. The range for Bluetooth reception is the average 30 feet (without obstruction).
f. Comment: I have always liked this headset because I can listen to music without wires. I have also added the Comply Premium Earphone Tips which help with sound quality and the comfort enabling me to enjoy my music all day long. It is unfortunate that people cannot hear me speaking into the microphone of the LG Tone.

2. Plantronics Voyager PRO HD Bluetooth Headset:
a. The music was mono (one ear) and sounded good but not as good as listening to a music CD.
b. Listening to phone calls presented good clarity and moderate volume.
c. Speaking to phone calls presented excellent volume. My voice could be heard clearly but not as good as using the phone without Bluetooth.
d. Noise rejection was poor. Background noises were sharp and clear and eclipsed the voice speaking into the microphone.
f. Comment: I doubt Plantronics will ever produce a bad product. I have enjoyed many of their products over the years. When I lose my Plantronics, I have quickly purchased a new one.

3. VXi BlueParrott Xpress Headset:
a. The music was mono (one ear) and sounded weak. I had the impression of listening to a weak powered FM radio station.
b. Listening to phone calls presented poor clarity and low volume.
c. Speaking to phone calls presented poor volume. My voice could only be heard with background EMI noise and hiss if the listener cranked up the volume of their phone.
d. Noise rejection was excellent. Background noises were muted and barely noticeable.
f. Comment: This is my second VXi product. I know the company has a loyal following but I have not had the same success.

4. Jaybird Bluebud X:
a. The music was brilliant. I had the impression of listening to a good CD through good headphones. The sound was not as good as my Shure SE535 or UE Capitals but good enough to listen to music all day long without missing my better earbuds. One benefit: the noise conducted by the Jaybird's earbud wires was minimal and much less than the other earbuds. Nice!
b. Listening to phone calls presented good clarity and excellent volume.
c. Speaking to phone calls presented excellent volume. My voice could be clearly heard.
d. Noise rejection was poor. Background noises were clearly heard and noticed.
e. The range for Bluetooth reception is an excellent 60 feet (without obstruction). I'm not sure how this is done but it enables me to roam the house, office or hotel room without static or interruption.
f. Comment: This is my first Jaybird. I thought the noise rejection would be a problem but I used these for phone calls in a crowded airport and on a train in New York and people could hear me clearly without my need to speak loudly. This was a previous fail point for the LG and Plantronic.

Other thoughts: I am one of those people who have a problem with earbuds fitting correctly. My frustration is so great that I had custom ear molds made for my UE Capitals. Many of these other earphones, especially the Jaybird, sound harsh and weak until I replace the earphone tips with the Comply Premium Earphone Tips. These new earphone tips made the Jaybirds sound like a premium product. I know the Jaybirds are expensive but I recommend them to anyone who has not yet found a good Bluetooth earphone.

Final thought: If you want to use Bluetooth for watching TV or playing a musical instrument, be prepared for a disappointment. Bluetooth technology has latency. It takes a few milliseconds for the sound to process. However, phone and music have good potential now with devices like the Jaybird Bluebuds X.

5/20/13 Update: I was just listening to Pat Metheny's "Last Train Home" and heard the train whistle blowing through the beginning and end of the song. What a nice surprise!

4.0 out of 5 stars The best pair of bluetooth earbuds I've used, August 1, 2014
Length:: 7:53 Mins

In this video review I talk about what I do and don't like about the BlueBuds X. I hope you like it!

5.0 out of 5 stars Straight to the point. Get these, but purchase different tips., March 29, 2014
I'll try to keep this short. First, I'm an engineer, so I know a few things about problem solving, how things work, how they're supposed to work, and philosophies of use. Second, I'm a huge consumer. I spend ridiculous amounts of time and money to find the right tool for the job. It irks me when consumer items are not well thought out, and marketing techniques are straight lies. Consider those as my credentials to trust my review.

I will not talk about speed of delivery, how items are packaged, or defective products. Things happen and that's unfortunate.

The review:

Get these....if you're not convinced, get them anyway, however purchase these too: Comply T-500 Isolation Earphone Tips (Black, 3 Pairs, Large).
My review targets the active headphone market. I have a drawer full of disappointing active earplugs/headphones. Sure, some of them work for my use, but there is always something missing, or could have been better. So, continues the pursuit of the perfect set, and that I have found in the BlueBuds X. This is why:

Bluetooth: no more struggling with long cords, short cords, getting caught in things, flapping around while you run.....put these on and you have complete freedom. Sure, bluetooth headphones aren't new, but these are not bulky and they don't have a big heavy battery.

Audio: If you're concerned with bluetooth lossy quality, get over yourself. Stay home with your $1000 over the ear reference headphones. These are meant to go outside. I subscribe to pandora's premium service with higher quality audio and these sound fantastic. The sound stage is flat, but very well balanced. I prefer this. Bass is present and highs are clear. Bass heads, it's not all about bass. However, you must have a good fit to appreciate the terrific audio.

Build Quality: They look amazing. Made of plastic. Cord is rubbery and tough, that's a good thing. Take care of them and they will last.

ACTIVE USE: This is the most important part. I've done other activities with these, such as cycling, and calisthenics, but I'll only reference running. It took a while to dial these in. I went from thinking these would contribute to the infamous drawer, but I kept at it. The first few runs I was determining which size plugs to use and which way I should wear them - there are two ways to wear these. I chose the over the ear style. Having chosen the best size plugs, they kept sliding out. They didn't fall off, but slid out so there wasn't a good seal, and the audio suffered. I was constantly pushing them back into my ear during the run. I tried cleaning my ears immediately before my runs, dampening the plugs just a bit as i've read somewhere before, but they continued to slide out. I was disappointed at this point. I kept at it, because I wanted these to work as the previous points were really good. So, I purchased these "Comply T-500 Isolation Earphone Tips (Black, 3 Pairs, Large)." I can't believe how well those plugs worked with the BlueBuds X. Jaybird should consider providing these plugs stock. I've ran...many miles and they did not slip out once. From start to finish, no adjusting during the run; hot, sweaty, bumpy, windy, they stayed in place. I put these on and I forget about them, concentrated on my run. THE BEST, AND MY LAST, ACTIVE HEADPHONES.

A little about the Comply tips. the T-500 will fit the headphones. It took a little pushing and mashing, but they did go on. Squeeze and roll them right before putting them into your ear, pull the top of your ear up then slide the plugs in and hold them in place while the foam expands.

Gripes: These really don't matter, as the end result is me running with freedom and 100% satisfaction, it's more than that...I think love is a better word.

Charge cord: I don't get it. It's a little funky to use, but however you use it, it charges the headphones.
Power plug: Non existent. I was surprised there wasn't a usb wall outlet, so I use my phone charger.
Packaging: I know I said I wouldn't talk about it, but I do recall the headphones were a pain to get out of the box. Have scissors.
Instruction booklet: lots of pictures, not enough words, difficult to set up the over the ear style, but set it and forget.
Case: difficult to close the case with the charge cord and headphones, but mash it a few times and it'll close. There must be a hidden art to get it to fit.
Beeping: There is a beep every time you change the volume. A little annoying, so don't change the volume often.

Easter Egg: I don't recall if these are bluetooth 4.0, or if that's the cause, but on my iphone 5 there is a battery gauge for the headphones that pop up next to the bluetooth icon. A pleasant surprise!!!

3.0 out of 5 stars Sound quality = awesome! Fit = terrible!, March 19, 2013
Spartacus (Washington DC, USA) - See all my reviews

Pros:
It sounds fantastic. It is small. It has a really long battery life. It has a lifetime warranty against sweat (major plus). It appears to be well made.

Cons:
It was impossible (for me) to find a good fit. When I finally did, I went to the gym and gave this a test run. After about 1 minute of running, the ear-buds kept coming loose though not falling. Here's where things begin to be an issue. When the ear-buds do not sit "right," the sound quality suffers. Once I pushed them back in to the ear, the good sound, deep base, good highs and mids came right back. About a minute later, it went away because they would simply not sit in the ear correctly.

The other con is, it is very expensive.

I tried different combinations of over the ear/under; different cushions and ear holders but unfortunately nothing worked. The sound degrades so badly, it goes from a $170 ear bud to $10 one.

I gave it 3 stars because I think it is a good product and might work for some people. Unfortunately for me, it didn't work enough to justify such a high price tag. I returned them.

5.0 out of 5 stars Expensive Luxury Bluetooth/Wireless Sport In-Ear Headphones!, June 1, 2013
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
August 11, 2013 UPDATE:

Had the chance to test these with the Sony Xperia Z provided by my T-mobile contract. (I think its the updated version compared to the ones previously released)
No problems whatsoever.

Advantage: Track control is exactly the same as when I used it with Ipod Touch 4G. No need to reconfigure button presses with a third-party app.

Paid total $180 for this including tax. Amazon Prime got it to my door in 2 days.
This is a LONG and THOROUGH REVIEW!

I will get right into ACTUAL USAGE, everything else is Marketing Gimmick/Gibberish:

MUSIC QUALITY:
I listen to AVICII, DEADmau, Kaskade, FLux Pavillion, Dubstep, DaftPunk, E.S.Posthumus, RIhanna, and Kpop/Jpop.

---All i can say is, if my head was hollow, this pair of sexy buds will make it echo with bass. Sounds exaggerated but these buds were awesome! No complaints with music quality. and especially with the loss-less Bluetooth connection, this is fantastic.
--I also own a pair of V-Moda Remixes HD with sexy bass. The thing is I use 50% of my max Ipod Volume with those. But with Bluebuds X I had to drop the volume to 35% because this pair was rocking bass too hard for my ears. I was so excited!!!!!!!
--F-Y-I, watching X-X-X videos with these poses no lag whether its streaming or from saved files so dunno what the other reviewer was complaining about. I tried it with both XOOM WIFI 32GB and Ipod Touch 4G 64GB.

BATTERY LIFE:
-Used it for an entire day and lasted only 7 hours and ~45 minutes.
-Based on an average of a week; battery life is 7 hr. 43 min +/- 5 minutes.
-There will be a Voice notification 15 mins prior to empty battery. Bluebuds X lasted 20 minutes after the notification so i think its a rough estimate.
-Battery indicator will appear on Ipod Touch after a successful sync. However, the battery level only display 15%, 50%, and 100% battery level indicators.
-A good 2+ hour charge will yield a ~8 hour battery life.
-A rough 30 minute charge will yield a ~90 minute battery life.
>>>Comes with a USB MINI Cable for Charging but no Adapter for wall plug in.

ACTUAL USAGE:
-People have complained that the ear buds popped/slipped/loosed out of ears. I have Asian ears so this happens quite often/common.I use the smallest size silicone buds and they fit perfectly in my ear canal, however you need the included inner-ear hooks if you want to exercise/run/walk/jog with these sexy music buds.
-When you wear these buds, the buds jut out of your ear like two black Gum-drops. As a comparison, V-moda remixes have a huge core, but even then they don't jut out of my ears. These do.
-if you notice the product images, the photographer purposely took photos on an angle in which it would make the product look flush to the ear for the person wearing the ear-buds.
>>>>If at the time of this writing and the original product description by Bluebuds X is still there, there should be an image of a Caucasian/white girl in a green sweats jacket with a green headband. Pay close attention to her ear, that is what it would look like if you wore them, they jut out. <<<< Under-ear VERSUS Over-Ear
-Under ear is fantastic with or without the in-ear hooks. With the hooks they stay so secure that I can walk, run, jog, do jumping jacks, weight lift, or take strolls without the ear buds slipping. There are two option here, leave the excess cable dangle behind your head, or tuck it in in front of your shirt.
>>>Dangling behind the head is bad if you wear a backpack. There is a chance that the straps would grip the cable and yank the ear-bud forcefully out of your ear. Happened to me and it hurt. Also if you have a collared shirt, it would drag against it and cause one side to have too much resulting cable and one side on a tension pull with your ear.
>>>Dangling the excess cable on the inside of the shirt camouflages your ear-buds to look like generic ear buds but with limited restrictions and you feel free. There is no resulting tension and everything feels fine. Also you don't have to deel with a cable running from your ears, down your waist and into your pocket either. <3

-The over-ear concept is either too new to me, I don't know how to set it up, and doesn't feel comfortable at all. I tried it but felt awkward. It comes with 2 clips to make it secure and loose-less, nice concept but not for everyone.

Bluetooth distance/response time:
-Tried it with my XOOM WIFI 32 GB and Ipod Touch 4G.
-When watching movies there is a slight milisecond lag. I tried watching videos and streams off my tablet and unless you are very sensitive you will notice it. I watched saved videos (mp4, 3gp, AVI) and worked pretty flush and in tune with audio. Sometimes its there, sometimes its not.
-No lag for music.
-Syncs easily with any bluetooth device. Can sync up to any 8 devices in its internal memory history. On the 9th sync, the oldest/1st sync will be forgotten.
-Effective range is like 20 ft with no obstacles. With obstacles (walls, doors) is limited to roughly <10 feet.
-There is no Disconnecting when exercising with blue tooth. To describe it is the same as if it were plugged into my Ipod, no connecting or lag issues with music.

LED Indicator:
-The ear bud on the side of the track control has LED indicator, not both.
> RED: Charging
> Green: Good/fully charged (Usually with USB plugged in/on when turned on will it flash green)
>No Light: Stand-by, Play mode (or paused)/ Powered off
[Stand-by mode is when powered on but not connected to the device]

Track Control:
Entire track control has been revised for this model.<<< >Syncing: Hold Center button UNTIL you hear "Searching for you Music Device". You will also hear "Power ON" but keep holding.
>ON: Hold Center Button UNTIL you hear "Power ON"
>OFF: Hold Center Button UNTIL you hear "Power OFF"
>Pause/Standby Mode: Press center button once.
>Volume UP: Press (+) button once
>Volume DOWN: Press (-) button once
>Skip Track: HOLD (+) until you hear a "Beep-Chirp" sound
>Previous Track: HOLD (-) until you hear a "Beep-Chirp" sound
-Supports voice control and call, but I don't/never use ear buds for that purpose

I HIGHLY RECOMMEND this to others. I only wished I was able to try this with an Xperia Z Tablet. But oh well, my testing was just as good. I tried to be as rough with it as possible (shoving into pocket etc). This thing is a beast.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great for smaller people, sweatproof and fantastic for running!, November 21, 2013
~T. (Atlanta, GA, USA) - See all my reviews
This is my second pair of JayBird BlueBuds X. The only reason it's my second pair is because the first pair were somehow misplaced during a multi-stop plane flight. Those had lasted for months with no problems and so far these are the same so I'm thinking that the consistency of the manufacturer's quality is spot on so far.

I am a smaller person with very tiny ears, so the standard earbuds that come with the iPhone don't really fit me and if I can manage to get them fitted they would fall out or just be painful after a while. The multiple sizing options for these headphones make them amazing for smaller ears, and the sound quality is fantastic, even when I run. As a distance runner I wanted something that would stay in and stay on without the hassle of wires or my having to break stride to readjust my headphones, and these do the trick.

While at the gym they are great-- I can leave my iPhone in my bag and not have to worry about it being strapped to my body while still listening to my workout playlists-- the distance you can put between the headphones and your device is about 15 yards or so, which is actually plenty for me. Since they are sweat-proof I don't fret about a really hard workout causing these headphones any harm and I have used them while running in the rain with no problem at all.

Since there's also a microphone, I can also make and take calls while cleaning or doing yardwork-- the recommendation of the manufacturer is that you place the mic in the under-chin position rather than behind the head, but people speaking with me say that they can actually hear me just fine with the mic behind my head.

Overall I love these. I'm certain that there are probably pricier and trendier options out there that may sound better, but for my needs (multiple sizing options, durable in wet conditions, able to stay in comfortably during activity, solid mic and ability to use them with my iPhone and iPad for Facetime as well as Skype and regular voice-only calls) I give these a solid 5 stars.

1.0 out of 5 stars Great when they work, January 9, 2014
I would love to wholeheartedly recommend these headphones without reservation. They sound great and do what they are supposed to do, namely stay on your head and out of your way when you work out. Great, right?

Here is the MAJOR problem: they don't last, period. I'm now on my fourth (4th!!!) pair, each of which has malfunctioned after fewer than three months of use. To put into proper context, I workout with these probably 3-4 days per week, and I tend to sweat quite a bit. I figured their liquipel nano-coating technology would do what it's advertised to do, block sweat. And although Jaybird has, to this point, been good about issuing return authorizations to me, they require the user to pay for return shipping. One time is fine, but now on my fourth time returning them, I'm getting close to paying for an additional pair via shipping costs alone. It's not my fault that their headphones continue to malfunction, so I find it absurd that I'm required to pay for shipping to take "advantage" of their lifetime guarantee.

I do think the headphones work as advertised, but they don't work for long. That's the problem. I'm considering trying a new type of bluetooth headphone, but still not thrilled with the other options out there. And now that I've gone wireless, I'm having difficulty accepting the idea of going back to a wired solution.

If anybody has any recommendations, I'm open to them!

2.0 out of 5 stars Worked great for 31 days... then plastic piece broke., November 22, 2013
Nicholas Cox (Denver, CO United States) - See all my reviews
Length:: 1:04 Mins

Hey everybody, wanted to do a video review of the BlueBuds X Jay Bird headphones that I purchased. Unfortunately this review is a negative one. The headphones work great. I bought them about a month ago and I've worn them 20 times running, working out, etc and I love them. Today I went to charge them and when I popped the back cover off this little plastic piece came off (see vid). It looks like it's a protective piece that's glued down in a couple of spots. I talked to their support and they said it's not under warranty, that it's not a manufacture defect. Other than that the headphones work great, so I'm disappointed.

The attached video illustrates the damaged headphone component.

12/12/13
Update - JayBird did not offer a replacement set of headphones, but Amazon did. I received them a few days ago and returned the broken set back to Amazon (shipping was $5.15 after the Amazon refund). Thank you Bezos.

1/3/14
Update - I posted a link to this review at their Facebook page and they sent me some swag. At least their marketing team is trying.

6/14/14
Update - There has been some additional issues over the past five months. The replacement headset from Amazon stopped working after a few weeks. I described my setup to the support person and they thought the problem was the iPhone dongle I was using as a charger had fried the headset. They sent me a replacement headset and asked that I only use my computer's USB port to charge it. I only charged the latest replacement with the USB (not USBe) port and it worked great until a few weeks ago. I woke up to find an orange substance all over the earpiece and some of the silver coating dissolved. Now when I try to charge it the red led stays on and it doesn't play/respond at all.

I've just ordered the LG HBS-730. Hopefully I'll have better luck with it.

1.0 out of 5 stars Failure after 2 months, December 7, 2013
Daemon Of Chaos (Spring Hill, TN USA) - See all my reviews
I have owned my pair of JayBird BlueBuds X Sport bluetooth headphones for a little over 2 months. The sound quality is great, I've never experienced static or disconnects, and they stay out of my way when running and exercising. They are fairly inconspicuous with normal use (e.g. walking, sitting, etc). They hold a charge fairly well and last for a good amount of time. A normal day for me consists of a lot of walking and bus riding along with some exercising. I typically have the headphones being used for phone calls and playing music at least 4 hours a day. Aside from long use during a day mine have never been wet or mistreated. All that sounds great doesn't it? It is for the first month and a half.

Then the headphones won't turn on at all unless you connect them to a computer and then disconnect them. Using a wall charger doesn't work for this. Once you can get them turned on they last maybe an hour on a full charge and then turn off. You then have to repeat the connect / disconnect process for them to turn on again until they shutoff again. Rinse and repeat as they say.

When I contacted their support department (live chat from the website) it was a known issue but not for headphones as new as mine. Reading other reviews I am not the only person that has encountered this issue. Now I have to ship them back at my expense and wait 4-6 weeks to get replacements.

Why did I give just 1 star even though when they worked they were awesome? For $150 I feel these things should last at least 1 year (preferably 2 years) without issue.

1.0 out of 5 stars Excellent good sound but stopped working, November 18, 2013
Bargin Hunter "lexusdcs" (Charlotte NC United States) - See all my reviews
The sound is excellent. I think they put much thought into the design of this product. I bought this for my iPhone 5S for when I work out at the gym. These can be worn two ways, under the ear like traditional headsets or over the ear. While the over the ear look cool, I found it a bit annoying so I switched back to traditional.

I agree that the ear tips are not very comfortable for a unit of this price range. No matter what the size I selected, I could not get a comfortable seal. Just as others have done I switched to the Comply Tx-500 Isolation PLUS Earphone Tips (Black, 3 Pairs, Medium). These appear to seal better and offer better sound and are more comfortable as they use a memory foam material. I wasn't planning on spending an additional 20 bucks for ear tips though.

Now to the odd interface issue. By design, you are to be able to press one of the 3 buttons and advance a track and another one of the three to go backward a track. On mine, the button does not back up a track, instead it replays the current track from the beginning. Initially, customer support responded saying that it could not be doing that but after I told them it is and was wondering if this unit is compatable with iPhone 5S. I heard from them and they stated "Your phone has the best in bluetooth tech so the Bluebuds X will be fully compatible with your iPhone 5s. However, the back track function will only get you to the beginning of the current song. To go back even further, you would have to use the track functions on your device".

One minor annoyance. As others have said, whenever you increase and decrease the volume, you get a beep which is not necessary IMO.

Good Move- The unit is guaranteed for life from damage by perspiration which is great for gym users or runners etc.

CONCLUSION: Although this unit is expensive and has drawbacks, the sound is so good it is hard to not like them overall.

#### follow up 1/7/2014 ###
The unit stopped working! This after less than 60 days use. I have lowered the star rating to 1.

Rate and Discover Movies