Automotive Deals Best Books of the Month Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Crown the Empire Fire TV Stick Happy Belly Coffee Ruby jewelry Amazon Cash Back Offer TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Segway miniPro

Format: DVD|Change

on September 12, 2007
Where do I start..? first... I have been playing the guitar for more than 40-years as a pro..and last 15-years as a jazz guitarist. This DVD has three parts..the second part was available in portions under the Ginus of Jazz guitar Vol 1 and 2.

However...this DVD has cleaned and restored the picture and sound to a level that it is just amazing from T.V. shows recording back in 60's.

Now about the content. The minute I started watching Wes in the first concert talking to the piano player and the band and teaching them a new tune by just casualy speaking and smoking ....my god..Wes Montgomery was alive and well speaking about music right in my living room.

I would say the way he plays the guitar and plays all his ideas one after another with such ease and smile..makes you cry...

Confession...the last three days I have been going home make myself a drink and playing this DVD and sit there and weep.

See ...I grew up listening and envy this guy..now I can actualy see him play....

I have seen many many jazz guitar artists play live and on screen...to me nothing beats Wes.

There are and they were lots of guitar players that as far as instrument technique have been superior ...but NOBODY had the SOUL and the GROOVE of the WES...when he gets going..the whole band is riding on his tale..as if by god I can't beleive this. he had a incredable GROOVE and sense of SWING that made the drummers happy as a kid in a candy store....

Ask any jazz guitar player what kind of guitar sound are they after ...I bet more than 90% will say I like my guitar to sound like Wes..and in the DVD you see what he is using..the Wes Montgomery Model Gibson L-5 (one pick-up only) and Standler tube amp which were being made since 1953...they still make them around $4000.00.

Now...this DVD is a must for anybody who likes jazz, anybody who playes the guitar, anybody who likes incredable visual music experience..and more...

Last...in my opinion the reason Wes elevated the Jazz guitar to another level was...he played it as a guitar not trying to emulate piano or horn lines as lots of guitar playes did or still do ( he used lots of bluesy runs and double stops and block chords)...anothewords...the way he plays ..it can only be reproduced on the guitar...not on any other instrument..and that my friends... will stay forever...!! enough already..by the DVD...make it number one on Amazon..he deserves it....!!
55 comments| 48 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on October 5, 2007
Finally, this DVD makes available a 78 minute collection of 3 European TV videos of the Jazz guitar master Wes Montgomery w/ 3 different trios backing him in mostly his compositions... the music is an inspiration & watching the many camera angles of Wes playing guitar is a revelation to anyone who admires this legendary innovator [who stands with gypsy Django Reinhardt & Les Paul as the 3 most influential Jazz guitarists of this past century]... Montgomery's right hand thumb strumming & picking is uniquely innovative to his sound & in this video, you can marvel at this amazing technique again & again as he is breezin' thru his chord soloing & octave melodies... i especially enjoy the 2nd set in Belgium as Wes really swings w/ an all black jazz musician's trio behind him burnin' thru "Impressions" & "Jingles" as well as 3 other tunes... this DVD is an "Instant Classic" that belongs in any serious jazz-influenced guitarist's collection !!! the liner notes by Pat Metheny are very detailed & great to read in addition to watching Wes finally in a full length DVD... this amazing video has reinspired my love of Wes Montgomery like the Grappelli 2 DVD set does for my love Django's playing = Buy It if you love virtuoso Jazz Guitar !
on November 17, 2007
This new release is better than anything I've seen previously. Let's face it, anything (audio-visual) produced back in the sixties lacked the technology that exists today. Most of the footage looks like it was shot on a TV soundstage. But, if you have never seen this man perform, this documentation is well worth the $20 price tag. There are closeups of his hands playing and enhanced AV, that make this more revealing than the Legends of Jazz Guitar series. Anyone who is a student of this instrument, will benefit from this disc.
on October 9, 2009
Amazingly clear footage with great shots in a relaxed atmosphere that captures Wes' character, relaxed approach and technique to his awesome playing style. The dialogue between Wes and the piano player in working out a tune gives a glimpse into their chord knowledge and experience. I've been playing for over 40 years and was influenced by Wes and Kenny Burrell in my beginning years. I recommend this video for any serious jazz guitarist.
on February 16, 2014
Let's agree that the amount of available video footage of Mr. Montgomery is diminutive to say the least.
These three short sets filmed in Europe in 1965 are a blessing to those of us too young to have ever seen Wes Montgomery in person. Granted that of the three sets, the British cats do come off 'a bit tight'. However; it still swings because of Wes'
phrasing, his choice of notes, his rhythms, and his ability to groove. This is just a great package from the folks at Jazz Icons.
Lastly, this is a perfect compliment to the 12 CD box set of Wes Montgomery's complete Riverside recordings.
As world famous jazz DJ Alan Grant used to say, "Stay beautiful!"
Wes Montgomery is beautiful, man!
on April 2, 2014
I have a fan of Wes Montgomery for many , many years. all the way back to the 50's and 60'. I was so taken by where he recorded some his music that I and my wife last visit Bern Switzerland and to the club where he had done some of his recording on the DVD, Bern Switzerland
on August 8, 2014
All the Jazz Icons are real treasures. To capture Wes Montgomery on film is a rare and joyous event. It is a real shame that we didn't
have the kind of coverage then, that we have now, for half the talent.
on December 17, 2008
I have been playing guitar for 45 years. I had no idea how good Wes was live. I'm truly amazed at this video. I don't think anyone plays that well. This had to be his best performances ever recorded.
on August 13, 2009
It is well known that Wes Montgomery is the greatest of all Jazz guitarists. Indeed, who can we compare to him? When waching these performances I am struck by the sheer control Wes exercised over his instrument. His capacity to create the most interesting and inventive octave, block chord, and single-note lines are not only without paralel among jazz guitarists, but I dare say that he stands with only a handful of the greatest Jazz musicians on any instrument. We are very lucky to have these video performances of Wes, which feature examples of some of his finest work. The quartet here that featured Harold Maeburn is also one of the best Wes ever had. Never has a Jazz musician been better portrayed on video.
on December 18, 2010
I feel that this is a must own for any jazz guitar player or fan of Wes Montgomery. It is comprised of three sessions with Wes playing with various groups. The first section with the band in Holland is superb. It's nice to hear Wes talk and teach a tune to the band. The second section is great, but has been previously released on Legends of Jazz Guitar Vol.1 which I already own. The third section in England is okay. At the very least, it's nice to have.

Overall, a great DVD and learning tool for a guitar student or a great piece of music and history for lovers of Wes.