Truck Month Textbook Trade In Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc $5 Albums Tile Wearable Technology Fire TV with 4k Ultra HD Subscribe & Save Mother's Day Gifts Amazon Gift Card Offer starwars starwars starwars  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Fire, Only $39.99 Kindle Paperwhite UniOrlando Spring Arrivals in Outdoor Clothing May4th

on August 22, 2000
This is the most accurate, user-friendly intro to jazz. It focuses on the music, not the personal lives of the musicians. It explains, patiently and systematically, in luminously clear prose, what jazz is and how to get the most out of listening to it. It details the origins of jazz as well as the distinguishing characteristics of all the major styles: Dixieland, Swing, Bebop, Cool, Hard Bop, "Free Jazz" and Avant-Garde of the 60s and 70s, and Jazz-Rock Fusion. It profiles 144 musicians' contributions (their sources, their styles, and lists of the others they influenced) and provides classification of more than 1000 other musicians, in easy-to-understand categories. Strategies for locating the best albums for all the top musicians. Optional CD of historic recordings is available. Optional CD of narrated demonstrations of the jazz instruments, song forms and methods that jazz musicians use to make their music is also available. Loaded with instrument sketches and photos of key musicians in action, this is America's most widely-used intro to jazz and has been translated into 5 foreign languages. Its author is an award-winning researcher and jazz musician who has travelled to South America, The Caribbean and Africa, as well as all the jazz centers of America. His work is so down-to-earth and practical that it has been adopted for use in jazz appreciation and jazz history courses at more than 500 high schools and colleges.
on February 12, 2006
I had begun to get serious about immersing myself in Jazz. A little dive around the corner was showing excellent Jazz groups and I had to take the opportunity to discover this great art form. My daughter lent me a textbook she had from college.

I immediately picked it up and for several hours was scanning it backwards and forwards. I kept referencing all the artists and songs I had heard of all my life and this book very handily made the connections. It's loaded with clear and concise and insightful teaching aids.

I can now understand much better the overall experience and history of jazz. The technical parts are still quite overwhelming, but the author's writing is very articulate and non-judgmental. I've rarely seen a more learning friendly book. As I started to mention, you can start anywhere you want in this book and just take what you can handle.

It occurred to me that a popularized version of this book might sell quite well as the author clearly has the stuff to do that.
on December 20, 2005
It has been nearly 30 years since Mark Gridley's first edition of Jazz Styles appeared, and no other treatment of jazz styles comes close to his careful analysis of how jazz has been made since its inception. It is a work of great and serious scholarship, an invaluable resource for students of the genre. Yet, Jazz Styles is also an enjoyable and entertaining companion for anyone who wants to become a more perceptive listener to jazz. The Listening Guides are useful even for those 'veteran'

jazz fans familiar with the works described. Gridley will take you to ever-deeper levels of appreciation for jazz in all its varieties.
on July 1, 2008
This book is not supposed yo come with the CD. The CD'S are listed with separate ISBN numbers. I even returned this book to Amazon thinking I never received the CD'S and Amazon sent me a new copy, I guess even they did not know that it does not come with CDs. If you want the CDs then the ISBN number is 0136005616.
on March 11, 2014
I learned so much from the class that I have to thank people who made the book as well as the professor who taught the class. I learned all about the history of jazz and the possibility of a bright future !
on April 14, 2014
This book got here fast with my prime, This book gives great details about music Jazz styles and artist it also has a great cd that shows you which instruments are what, i would highly recommend this book. im using it for college and will be selling it once im done.
on August 11, 2004
Come on, Mark. 8 editions. Still no singers. Have Vaughan, Fitzgerald, Holiday, et al. contributed nothing to the art?
on September 26, 2013
Ordered this book for my son who is in college as we needed a way to get him books and save money. This book was as described and arrived on time and yes saved us money as we needed. I would suggest to others looking to do the same thing for their child. Packaging was great as well.
on March 22, 2013
Purchased this book for my daughter's college music class. Reads well and complete. Has web sites listed in chapters for further listening.
on June 15, 2015
Bought it without realizing that you really need the music it refers, some of which is unique to the book and unattainable.