Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 82 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Aug 11, 2009 5:09:27 AM PDT
M. P. Dawes says:
The Reason she has done this Jazz Album, Plain and Simply, Her Voice Is Going, I Saw her In London 2 years ago,her voice was so so Then, She Is The Greastest Female Singer, but as with us all. time moves on, and it has done with Miss Streisands voice, it has got a lot Deeper, hence a Jazz Album.

Posted on Aug 11, 2009 9:33:40 AM PDT
I really doubt that this is the ONLY reason she has done this album. I really do.

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 12, 2009 7:19:41 AM PDT
john loren says:
Absolutely no evidence of what you're saying based upon the samples on her website -- she sounds fabulous.

Posted on Aug 12, 2009 11:12:37 AM PDT
mikejrexec says:
I saw/heard her in Atlanta 2007 and did not experience any vocal problems.

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 12, 2009 12:16:52 PM PDT
Yes, John, I just listened to the samples and I agree. These are low-key songs, done with taste and restraint, just as they should be.

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 12, 2009 2:31:53 PM PDT
Sad to say but your right on.I saw here in ATL 2006.I was just happy to see her,and i will support this Jazz CD will u MP

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 12, 2009 2:33:52 PM PDT
please she did say she was sorry about her voice because she had done extra sonhs in florda

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 13, 2009 4:57:12 PM PDT
TommyO says:
Nobody is sadder than I to have to admit that Barbra's voice has declined considerably. I was so excited...at long last a jazz album from in my opinion the greatest popular singer ever - hence; in hearing the clips on her website, I believe she should probably retire after this. I think she sounds awful...I've NEVER heard her sound sound badly before and I too saw her in both Lauderdale and Atlanta. She was much better in Atlanta, but again, there is NO denying that her voice has deepened and she simply cannot hit higher notes anymore. Again, it saddens me to have to admit and realize that my number one cannot deliver as she once could.

Posted on Aug 14, 2009 10:47:44 AM PDT
Magic says:
So easy to hide behind the internet with negative remarks, isn't? I saw Barbra in Atlanta and loved her! For God's sake Barbra is 67 years old. Her voice has changed but I love it. This new album sounds so fabulous! Try lifting up your fellows and not knocked them down.
Marcus

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 14, 2009 11:53:23 AM PDT
TommyO says:
I am simply stating the facts...I happen to LOVE her, but at some point you must face reality. It has nothing to do with knocking someone down, but facts are facts. Unfortunate, but true.

Posted on Aug 14, 2009 2:08:15 PM PDT
Better she make a low key album than strain her voice and sounding odd, like Minnelli.
I like her flute like purity than belting anyway. I don't think her belting has been effective since the early 1980s.

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 14, 2009 2:30:07 PM PDT
Absolutely, this is just a different flavor. Barbra is an artist, and it will be a pleasure to hear her softer, interpretive sounds. And she put herself in the hands of another singer as producer, so she must be confident about the project. If she's satisfied, I am too.

Posted on Aug 15, 2009 11:18:01 AM PDT
Darnold says:
Some of you are out of your minds...Barbra sounds FABULOUS - different - but Fabulous - "For Pete's Sake" hahaha...she is 67 years old - I too saw her Live in 2006 in Florida and she was SENSATIONAL. Yes, her voice has deepened but she still sings like No One Else Alive and I would take Barbra at 67 over any of these other so called 'Divas' any day of the week. And in every single decade Barbra's Voice has changed..lol..Only the truly obsessed fans will dissect her Voice - the rest of the public is going to ADORE this release - mark my words :)

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 15, 2009 2:14:18 PM PDT
Magic says:
Right on! I can't wait! I am so excited that it's also available from Sony on vinyl (LP) I'v ordered it. I never thought I'd see that day again!

Posted on Aug 18, 2009 2:57:21 PM PDT
Jim Andrews says:
Are the recordings on the two C.D.s the same, except with orchestrations added to one, or are they different recordings? That is, are they the same vocals or different vocals? From what I've heard from the album, Streisand is singing gorgeously. She's always been such a moving target for critics, in the meantime building a legacy of matchless achievement. A lot of it she brings on herself because she has always been so willing to experiment, try something new, explore something different. If she were predictable maybe she wouldn't arouse such ire, huh? In the end, when she looks back on it all, she will be able to say honestly, "I'm proud."

Posted on Aug 18, 2009 3:00:21 PM PDT
Jim Andrews says:
Just a note. Barbra originally recorded "Spring Can Really Hang You Up the Most" and "Willow Weep for Me" for "Simply Streisand" but in a period of reducing album tracks to cut costs they were not included in the album.

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 18, 2009 4:46:43 PM PDT
Magic says:
Way to go Jim!
I agree with you! Of course if Barbra had always done what she was told we would had never have known the greatest singer named Barbra Streisand! I believe, "Love is The Answer" will debut at #1 on the charts! I really can't wait to hear Barbra sing "Smoke Gets in Your Eyes"
Peace

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 18, 2009 4:55:51 PM PDT
Tervor, funny you should say that, because that is exactly the same song I am waiting for!

Posted on Aug 19, 2009 7:50:50 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Aug 19, 2009 7:52:59 AM PDT
W. Webb says:
I have had the pleasure of seeing Ms. Streisand in concert several times (NY and LA in 2000 and Philly, NYC (twice), D.C. and Atlantic City in 2006). I was not displeased with one single note that came from her mouth. Yes her voice has changed. It's mature and sometimes even better suited for songs like "Have I stayed too long at the fair" and "People". Would we really want a 67 year old woman to have the perfect crystal voice of a 20 year old? Do I want to hear her sing "The Way We Were" exactly as she did in 1973? If so, then I'll play the CD. And as for the criticisms of a yet unheard album, I am a little perplexed. I wish I was so insightful that I could tell the worth of an entire album by a few clips on the internet. I will wait to hear the album but as I suspect with most of Ms. Streisand's work, her interpretations will be unique and dead on. And for me, what has always made Ms. Streisand the best pop singer of her generation was not the beauty of her voice but the way she makes the listerner believe and feel every single word she is singing. There has never been a better interpreter of American music. Her critics have been saying she's over the hill since the 1980's when I first discovered her genious as a 13 year old. And she's still here, not because her voice is as perfectly tuned an instrument as it was in 1965 but because she continues to give us definitive interpretations of American standards. Have any of you listened to "But Beautiful" from THE MOVIE ALBUM? An album done this decade no less, years after she is accused of having lost her talents. Well, may all singers lose their talents in such a gloriously beautiful fashion!

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 19, 2009 8:07:46 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Aug 19, 2009 11:30:33 AM PDT
L. Steidl says:
Spot on perfect observation W. Webb.

What many people simply do not realize is that Streisand has always been an artist in it for the long run, never simply a pop singer with a few hits & goodbye! Barbra is in the lines of the greatest recording artists that spanned the generations....singers like Ella, Sinatra, Peggy.....listen to the latter recordings of both Sinatra & Ella & of course you will here vocals vastly different from their earlier stuff.....lower keys yes, but oh-so moving & powerful emotional moments and impassioned phrasing.....Streisand is in that category and I agree that anyone who wants' to hear her sound like she did in her "prime" should just listen & re-listen to her classic recordings and NOT expect her to sound like that now.

Luigi ~ nyc

Posted on Aug 19, 2009 11:15:27 AM PDT
Interesting...I saw her in Florida, twice, and Atlanta and her second night in Florida was the best of the three. No, she does not sound as good as she did 40 years ago, DUH, who does? But she can STILL out sing MOST of todays so called singers.

Posted on Aug 19, 2009 11:29:36 AM PDT
Jeff Bazell says:
Don't forget, folks, that Streisand or not, she still has to abide by her recording contract. As she said with Guilty Pleasures, to Ellen DeGeneres, she had to do an album because her record company said so. Sure, she picks the material, producers, etc, but it's not ever just one reason. I think she chose this genre partly based on her voice. It's safer and she knows that her voice is not what it once was. That doesn't mean it's still not gorgeous, but it's different. Like MP Dawes noted, it's lower, huskier. She would probably sound awful if she did an album of Broadway type songs where she had to belt. She's past that in her life and it's time for a quieter, 'smokey' sound that matches her voice at this stage of her life.

Posted on Aug 19, 2009 11:43:59 AM PDT
I don't really accept that. Throughout her career, I've heard her voice sound better and worse, higher and lower. On "Guilty Pleasures", I thought she sounded astonishingly rejuvenated. Her cover of the BeeGees "Don't Throw It All Away" sounded almost as good as her 70's/80's BeeGee material.

Posted on Aug 19, 2009 12:23:56 PM PDT
R. Audet says:
I have seen Barbra in concert twice, in New York in 1994 and Boston in 2006. Her voice in the latter concert was as rich and thrilling as it had ever been. Surely she has to make whatever concessions may be necessary to the effects of time, and, by the way, to pacing herself through a concert (which any singer, of whatever age, must); to my ear those concessions hardly suggested a diminishment of her powers as a singer. Quite the opposite. She was certainly still hitting high notes, but she was also clearly exploring a different range and register. If anything, of any singer her age she seems to have kept her instrument in impressively good shape; no one need make apologies for her. The problem here may be the caricature of Barbra as a Broadway Belter; surely she is one of the best of those, but her entire recording career demonstrates that she has hardly limited herself to that kind of performance. Go all the way back to her "Third Album" in 1963 -- much of what you hear there might anticipate the approach, the "Barbra," we are going to hear on this new album. Barbra's signal gift, her core greatness as a singer, has always been her interpretive powers: her way of burrowing into a lyric and bringing it to life. When she first started out, this was especially apparent; she made so many standards seem new, seem relevant again, because of her interpretation, and she hardly depended solely on high notes to get that effect, though clearly many of her fans were thrilled when she did. With time often comes wisdom and unexpected powers and cogency; for those willing to really listen, I think Barbra Streisand's voice reflects that kind of renewal and not some sad compromise or retreat.

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 19, 2009 12:35:56 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Aug 19, 2009 12:36:30 PM PDT
The "Third Album" that you mentioned is one of my favorites, for that very reason. Her interpretation of those standards brought them to another level for me, and they became the definitive versions for me.
‹ Previous 1 2 3 4 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Participants:  38
Total posts:  82
Initial post:  Aug 11, 2009
Latest post:  Feb 16, 2010

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 8 customers

Search Customer Discussions
This discussion is about
Love is the Answer (Deluxe Edition)
Love is the Answer (Deluxe Edition) by Barbra Streisand (Audio CD - 2009)
4.2 out of 5 stars   (300)