on February 18, 2009
The overwhelming majority of this DVD consists of Jeff Beck's nonpareil guitar virtuosity. The instrumental performances that showcase his inimitable whammy bar mastery, tones, riffs and fretboard prowess include "Becks Bolero", "Where Were You'" Blast From The East," "A Day In The Life," "Stratus," "Scatterbrain," "Brush With The Blues," Big Block," and "Angel(Footsteps)." No other guitarist on the planet can strangle, coax and caress a universe of sounds from his instrument like the incomparable Jeff Beck. His guitar and bare fingers are fused and hardwired to his heart. Jeff Beck only uses his fingers and very few effects to summon majestic tones. There are sterling guest performances by Eric Clapton "Little Brown Bird," "You Need Love" and Imogen Heap "Rolling and Tumblin" and "Blanket", and a soulful Joss Stone rendition of "People Get Ready." Not only is the music magical-so is the aura and ambience of Ronnie Scott's renowned Jazz Club in London. This DVD is all killer and no filler. An imperative purchase!!!!

Update. " On January 31, 2010, Jeff Beck won a Grammy for his iconic instrumental performance on "A Day In The Life."
66 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on April 2, 2009
The Jeff Beck live at Ronnie Scott's DVD is now available and for $10 every guitarist should have one. Jeff is in great form, seeming happy and relaxed and his playing is quite precise. That man really knows how to work a whammy bar.

The whole band is good, but Drummer Vinny Colaiuta (a Zappa and Sting alumni) especially stands out. Tal Wilkenfeld, the female bassist who looks like a 12 year old, is also very good. Her appearances at the Crossroads show attracted a lot of attention due to her youthful appearance and the fact that she looked incredibly surprised and happy to be on stage with Beck.

On this DVD she doesn't seem as confident in her playing and as extroverted as she did in the band's appearance at the Crossroads festival. (I believe this DVD was shot before the Crossroads concert) However, as in the Crossroads videos, there's still those odd, charming moments when Jeff gives her a gesture of approval after she takes a solo and she looks back with a big proud and happy smile. It's a cross between the look of a proud father and daughter and the look of a lecherous college professor giving approval to the ambitious and lusty female student that he's having an affair with.

In this video we don't see much of keyboardist Jason Rebello, but he does a fine job of responding to Jeff's lines and emulating his predecessors in Beck's bands.

The interviews indicate that the band was put together shortly before the shows were shot, with about one month of rehearsal. Everyone knows their parts, but I think this project could have been taken to another level of excellence if the band had worked together for a longer period of time and had the collective experience required to confidently stretch out and improvise a bit more.

Stereo, Dolby surround and DTS surround soundtracks are provided. As usual the DTS soundtrack sounds audibly better than the Dolby. I hate it when concert films use the rear speakers only for audience noise; I want my DVD to sound better than what the audience heard, and audience noise is not my favorite part of the live performance experience. In this case, the use of surround is good, placing the listener in the middle of the band without being too obvious or gimmicky.

Another of my peeves about concert videos is that they rarely let you see the details of what the guitarist is doing. This one stands out for providing a lot of good shots that will help guitarists figure out how Beck gets his unique sounds.

The choice of material comprises a good "greatest hits" for Beck with a nice mix of the fast fusiony material and the slower, soulful material. I would have liked to have heard a bit more of the excellent techno influenced material from his most recent albums, but I'm surely in the minority in that opinion.

There are guest appearances by Joss Stone, Imogen Heap and Clapton. Stone was OK, but doesn't have the maturity and depth to add much to the proceedings, she's just another young Janis/Arethra wannabe as far as I can tell. Imogen is more unique with a quirkier presence that made for a more useful contribution.

Clapton joined the band for two blues numbers, one fast, one slow. Clapton has been in fine form lately, but as a guitarist he's not in the same league as Beck. However, his vocals have never been better and Jeff and Clapton do a nice Yardbirds style raveup on Willie Dixon's "You Need Love." (the inspiration for Led Zep's Whole Lotta Love.

This DVD is the only commercially available video of a whole Jeff Beck show and overall they did it up right. If you like Beck there is no doubt that you should get this DVD.
1919 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
VINE VOICEon January 25, 2010
One night back in May 2009 I was out late partying. When I got home I was still in the mood for couple more beers, so I popped on the HD music channel on my cable system (Palladia I think it's called?), and I came across Jeff Beck jamming with this wicked-awesome drummer and some young looking girl (that I thought was probably his daughter) just shredding a bass guitar to pieces.

The next morning I woke up to quite a hangover. I had stayed up, watched the whole show, and probably washed down the 6 beers that I had at the party with 6 more watching the Beck performance. So my memory of the show was vague, but also that it was great, although I thought that maybe I enjoyed it more than I otherwise would have because of the alcohol. So I picked it up at Amazon the day or so after...and promptly forgot about watching it again...until recently. I watched this Blu Ray disk last weekend and then again this past weekend. Jeff Beck Live at Ronnie Scott's is one of the best rock performances that I've ever seen.

This 2007 show should be held up not only as an example of the way a rock group should perform live, but also as an example for DVD music producers on how to deliver an excellent product. The concert is all musical performance. No indulgence by some videographer that thinks a viewer wants to see effects like cut to black and white, psyschedelic swirling pictures, quick frame to frame edits or other video effects. Long shots of the individual performers dominate the screen throughout and capture not only the great talents of the players, but also the intimacies between the bandmates that are often missed in other DVD musical shows.

For this performance at Ronnie Scott's, Beck was accompanied by Vinnie Colaiuta on drums, Jason Rebello on keyboards, and Tal Wilkenfeld on bass guitar. Beck is completely on throughout the show as are his mates. Colaiuta lays down some impossible beats and chops. Wilkenfield blows away many of the bass guitarists that I have on my list of the best. And Rebello is in top form on the keys.

The picture and sound are terrific. If you've got a surround system, you're in for a pounding Rock experience. The sound has an amazing 5.1 mix. Most importantly, like I mentioned earlier, the video doesn't jump around every 4 seconds, so you really get to see the performance in a way that feels like you're in a front row seat right there at Ronnie Scott's.

I could write the set list for you here, but not only is it right here on the Amazon product page for you already, would you really know any of the songs by their titles? I mean a devoted Beck fan probably would, but I've never even heard any of these compositions until I saw them on the DVD. I will say that there are 5 songs with guest performers: one with Joss Stone; two with Imogen Heap; and two with Eric Clapton. Now you might think, "Clapton! Holy Moly...what a show stopper!" But that would be completely incorrect. I'd even endanger a No-Vote to this review by going as far to say that the guest performances are skipable compared to what Beck's band does on its own for 16 of the total 21 songs on this DVD. But please don't skip the guest performances; they are definitely worth a viewing...at least the first time you watch the show.

In the Extras on the Blu Ray version you also get a Rockabilly set with Beck and the Big Town Playboys. I was able to watch one or two songs in this performance before I quickly shut it off so as not to ruin the amazing impression that I was left with from the main performance. Rockabilly is not my thing.

Any Rock fan will enjoy this disk immensely. Any Jazz fan will enjoy this disk immensely. Any music fan is making an immense mistake by passing on this disk. Add Jeff Beck Live at Ronnie Scott's to your collection.
on February 21, 2009
Jeff Beck may be the only man over 60 who can get away with wearing a choker! Why? Because no one has such mastery of his instrument, so therefore, he can wear whatever he wants. NO ONE can play like this guy! It's all touch and taste, and his very mysterious whammy bar thumb technique, that has luminaries in the small club looking both amazed and delighted. The band has been touring together for over a year, and with Vinnie C. on drums, excellent song choices spanning his career, a few so so vocal appearances for people who can't take an hour of straight guitar, this THE DVD to have for anyone who likes music on DVD.

One need not look any further than the track "Nadia" to get the point of what a master he is. It's amazing people compare him to Clapton and Page, because there is no comparison. By the time he closes with the Beatles "a day in the life" it's time for guitarist to throw in the towel and realize they have just seen the tiger woods of guitar...
1111 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on July 11, 2009
Once upon a time there were three British players. Eric Clapton, Jimmy Page, and Jeff Beck.

Eric Clapton left the Yardbirds and defined the super group, the one-off project, and the guest appearance. Ordained god-like by the Baby-Boomers... Then there is Jimmy Page, all he ever did was reshape the Delta blues into hard-rock, become a studio wiz and riff master, and craft the imploded Yardbirds into a little band called "Led Zeppelin", maybe you have heard of them.

This leads us to Jeff Beck... Visionary, eccentric, reclusive, and in my opinion probably more talented than Clapton and Page put together.

This DVD... Performing This Week: Live at Ronnie Scott's is the kind of performance that will inspire those that never played to pick a guitar instead of a video game, for Beck is what being a "Guitar Hero" is all about. On the flip-side if you are a musician, you might want to avoid this DVD... it might just be the kind of thing that makes you decide to learn to sell real estate.

Beck strolls through his catalog and blends genres, styles and music flawlessly. Always allowing his band equal time to shine, Jeff Beck dances in and out of their fills, lines, and beats like Baryshnikov with a strat.

He welcomes the vocal talents of Joss Stone and Imogen Heap and they add youth and fire to the night... there is a noticeable shift when Clapton joins in for a couple of spot on blues numbers. With Clapton Beck seemed old enough to be a Yardbird... with the rest of the band he played like "Free Bird"... his music bouncing between 1965 and 2025... Beck creates a sonic landscape that shows where Satriani wants to go but can't find the map.

Simply outstanding... not surprising if you are a fan, but a wonder to own and to share. If there is anyone out that thinks of Jeff Beck as that "other" Yardbird guitarist... they should pick up this DVD... the CD too while they are at it.
Sorry, we failed to record your vote. Please try again
In a world where ProTools Software can sample and make a chimpanzee sound like the awesome Alison Krauss and a 16 piece jazz orchestra comes Jeff Beck and one of the best rhythm sections of the past few (10?) years. I got this DVD in the mail yesterday from Amazon and watched it twice last night absolutely in awe of the playing and material from all 4 players. 1st - Jeff Beck - I knew he was legand but I had absolutely underestimated him in my mind without ever owning any of his material. I plan to seek out the rest of the catalog from here forward. Great player, great solos, great nuances, chord arrangements, and sheer burning from a whisper to a scream. 2nd - Vinnie Colaiuta - One of my favorite (and 1,000,000 others) favorite players. I have to bootleg, YouTube, borrow, and import to get good video footage of Vinnie's playing. This is a great rep of his playing. I recommend his work with Karizma and Robben Ford for anyone looking for more in the same vain. 3rd - Tal Wilkenfeld - I was really impressed with her as well. I look forward to a long/great career from her. And folks, don't get too bent on her age. Remember that Vinnie Colaiuta, Patrick O'Hearn, and Warren Cuccurullo were all 22 when they played with Frank Zappa, Steve Vai around 20 when he played w/ FZ, Neal Schon was 15 (!!!) when played with Santana, and Tony Williams was 17 when he did '7 steps to Heaven' with Miles Davis. Last, but not least - Jason Rebello - In the keys cockpit comping, supporting ,and soloing like anyone else in the game. This guy was a protege of Kenny Kirkland and Sting and has the chops to back it up. Check out Sting's Brand New Day Live DVD for some great work from Jason. Last plug - Eric Claptons track is great as well as Joss Stone's (side note: hubba hubba) take on 'People get ready'.
Thank you very much Mr. Beck for giving a distant warning of hope in a time in music where software and marketing are more evident than substance. Yeah, you can tell I'm a drummer/musician with my own share of soapboxes to stand on. :) Bob Ruthven robert.ruthven@sbcglobal.net
on June 19, 2009
I have been a rather high tech guitar player for more decades than I care to count. Jeff Beck was one of the players who started me on the guitar. Jimmy Page, Robin Trower, and Clapton being being perhaps more of an influence. That is, until Beck came out with Blow by Blow and Wired in the mid seventies. After watching this DVD you will agree, no one plays like Jeff, and as hard as it is to say (being a Satriani/Vai fan myself) I do not think anyone actually can play like Jeff!

Wired still remains my fav album of Jeff's and I was delighted to hear some of the tracks on this suburbly flawless masterpiece DVD. Jeff laughingly just missed I think maybe two lines, but who could tell? His master class ability to manipulate the guitar with an unparalleled ability to use the Strat Whammy bar and his unique finger-style picking technique, leaves old players like myself wondering how he does what he does.

As Steve Lukather, in the rather esteamed and blessed audience, commented "God plays guitar using Jeff Beck's hands". And that, I believe, is a far accessment of this treasurable DVD.

The little cutey bass player Tal Wilkenfield, is not only a treat to look at but an incredible bassest. She cops some bass lines which would tax and defeat a lot of players, a finese of an older accomplished player in the prodigy hands of a 22 year old wonder. Her technique and tone is astounding. His drummer, Vinnie Colaluta, is as good or better than anyone who has played the drums. He cops the old vintage flawlessly and is able to roll and punch whenever the muse hits Jeff, and it hits him a lot.

KeyBoardist Jason Rebello, not only plays like Jan Hammer but may have been able to teach him a thing or two, he is too underrated, this is the first I have heard of him, the tones and interplay of the keys and guitar was just a treat for the ears. The interplay of Behind the Veil and Led Boots was just an arm raising ovation. Jeff was right to raise his hands in the air as a salute to his bandmates. You have to be the best to play with Jeff and this band sets the bar very high!

I raise my hands in the air to hear Jeff play in front row view with every bit of his ability, perhaps better control than he had back in the mid 70's when Wired just blew me away. Modern equipment improves upon the old sounds. It is Jeff's hands that make the tone and he kills on these tunes! I am 52 this year and beck must be 60 by now, thank you Jeff, and thank you Robin Trower and Jimmy for still playing for us. To think one can have a set of hands like that at 60 puts these teenage strummers to shame with their chart success.

I have been a Jazz Fusion fan ever since Wired and no one does it like Beck. Clapton was brave to come on the stage with him, as was obviously an incredible hot night for Jeff. Not trying to over play on Clapton and of course allowing for Jeff's full rig and pedal line, this was not a competition but I am sure Eric would agree Beck was Wired that night and no one could touch him. Better to sit in the back like Page and just enjoy this performance. Mike Myer and wife in the front mid table were grooving with the vibe as well. There are not enough stars for this DVD. I am disapointed not to have heard Blue Wind, Come Dancing, and a couple others but he did provide a good mix, when you hear the opening Bolereo track, you realize you are about to witness something special. The Beetle's Tune A Day in The Life made you mourn for John. How Beck orchaSRATed that piece was an much a wonder as listening to it.

This is a Grammy Winner, Best best catagory winner of all musicians!!!
on March 10, 2011
The past couple of years have been golden for me in regard to music -- my "discovery" of Derek Trucks and, later, Susan Tedeschi, the Clapton 2010 Crossroads DVD, and laugh if you will, The Pretenders "Live in London" blu-ray. For differing reasons I love all of them, but the one DVD that I keep returning to over and over is Jeff Beck's "Live at Ronnie Scott's."

There may be one or two guitarists who have greater technical versatility. I doubt it, but maybe. But I can't think of any of whom are able to get more out of their guitar than Jeff Beck. Every note is rounded, enhanced, pushed and pulled to get just the right sound. It's incredible to hear him play. Since there are no technical skills that he hasn't mastered, the only limit is his improvisational imagination, and there's no limit to that, either

The band? The drummer is incredible -- Colaiuta lays down a barrage of thunder in "Stratus" that is peerless. Rebello is always there in ways subtle and profound. And Tal Wilkenfeld? OMG, she's, what, early 20s? A structural genius who is already at the top. I can't even dimly imagine what she'll be doing by the time she's in her 50s. I only wish that I could be alive to hear her then.

Just to close by saying that "Stratus," "'Cause We've Ended As Lovers," and "Behind the Veil" is the best 3-song series I've ever heard. Ever.

I agree with another reviewer who said he wants this music played at his funeral. If they do that at mine, I'll rise and dance again.
on April 3, 2009
Guitar players of all styles come and go, generation by generation. But whenever we think we hear the next Edward VanHalen, Danny Gatton, hotshot riffer, tonemaster, fretboard genius, or speed demon my reply is ALWAYS:

"Kid you're good and play mighty fine...but you ain't no JEFF BECK!"

I recommend this DVD to anyone that has ever played Electric Guitar.
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on June 11, 2013
I first saw this on PBS and immediately knew I had to buy it. Nice to see such a great band in an intimate venue. I would do almost anything to steal his bass player. It is sick that a woman that looks that young can play like she does. There is nobody as expressive on guitar as Jeff Beck. He gets every drop of emotion from every note.