Winter Driving Best Books of the Month Men's Leather Watches Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon The Suffers Explore Home Audio All-New Amazon Fire TV Subscribe & Save Valentine's Day Cards Bring a little greenery into your home Amazon Gift Card Offer girls2 girls2 girls2  Amazon Echo All-New Fire Kindle Paperwhite Shop Now SnS

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-21 of 21 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Nov 24, 2007 9:58:15 AM PST
I have seen Jeff Beck on 2 occassions, and both times he has put on an incredible show. As a fan of his, it is very frustrating that there is precious little of his performances out on DVD. I have heard he did a killer set at the first Crossroads festival, but there was nothing released of him on that DVD. On the most recent Crossroads release, there are 2 songs on there, but I understand he did an hour long set, and these were not even close to the best songs he did. There are some clips on Youtube from various places (some of which are very good), but I don't understand why an artist of this caliber doesn't release a concert DVD, it would be outstanding. Any thoughts/opinions? By contrast, there is so much Clapton available that it is hard to keep track.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 27, 2007 3:50:17 PM PST
W. P. Wells says:
I understand Jeff Beck is very particular about releasing material, especially visual, for public consumption.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 28, 2007 9:19:40 AM PST
Not much of Beck on DVD, not much of Beck live at all! What's with that? And why didn't he do ANY Yardbirds' songs when I've seen him live? That's his best and rockinest band ever. I know there is one live CD, but it's an expensive import. Is it supposed to be good? I love the guy but not sure I can afford to take a chance.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 28, 2007 9:26:20 AM PST
John, if you're referring to the CD from his recent tour, you can get it on jeffbeck.com for $15, don't get it on Amazom, which I believe is a Japanese import, and therefore very expensive.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 1, 2007 6:28:58 AM PST
[Deleted by Amazon on Mar 16, 2008 1:19:00 PM PDT]

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 6, 2007 3:36:16 PM PST
LJ says:
I saw Jeff Beck last fall in Las Vegas at the House of Blues and he was amazing. He never said a word through out the concert excwpt with his guitar until the end of the concert after his second encore where he just said Thank You and walked off. As a side note Beth Hart was touring with him and just sang 3 songs and blew the roof off the place when she came on to sing for him. Check her DVD out Beth Hart "At The Paradiso Live". I bought a dvd A tribute to Brian Wilson where Jeff Beck Does two songs "Surf's Up" and "Surfinn' USA" where he truly makes his guitar sing. the dvd was worth it to me just for his two songs. I also have him on a British Invasion 60's & 70's rarities where the Yardbirds do "I'm a Man" but it was not good for Jeff Beck performance. Although there was a 1972 song with John Lennon live on the piano singing "Imagine" that was well worth the DVD. I also hope that he comes out with a live DVD concert. Let's hope.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 7, 2007 7:56:00 AM PST
Thanks much for the heads-up on Beth Hart and the Brian Wilson (Mr. Kennedy Honors Awardee, long overdue) tribute with Jeff Beck beautifully participating. Both sound well worth checking out. What kind of style does Ms. Hart sing in?

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 13, 2007 7:35:34 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 13, 2007 7:42:44 PM PST
cabnboy says:
I agree. I taped the Crossroads on PBS. I heard there was more. Ive been a Jeff Beck fan since the early 80's. I saw him live at the Berkley Ampitheater. He said at the end, "You want me to sing". He did some unknown blues bit for less than a minute then rippped the strings off his guitar and left. That was with Jan hammer, Simon Phillips, etc... I wish there was a DVD, I looked but found none. Jeff Beck Ive heard is very reclusive and shy, maybe thats why there's no DVD. Still a fan.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 15, 2007 10:32:47 PM PST
Well, damn, I was amazed by the Jeff Beck performance that I saw, I have heard about him, but never saw or heard him play. I was disappointed about the total cut of the J J Cale performance, I have always loved his guitar work. Perhaps, with enough demand, another DVD of the"cut room" work could be produced? I think there would be enough demand,

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 16, 2007 5:39:10 AM PST
Thanks Doug...interesting in the previous Crossroads DVD, Beck was cut out at the last minute, but JJ Cale had 2 songs included, which, by the way, were fantastic, and one of the real highlights of that set. This time Beck was included, and Cale out. I've seen Beck in concert twice, once circa 1978 with Jan Hammer, and again in 1999/2000 with Jennifer Batten as his backup guitarist. That was the best concert I've ever seen. Batten is highly underrated and a fantastic player and arranger.

There was a lot of discussion when the first Crossroads DVD came out about fans wanting, essentially, a cutting room floor DVD, but that never came about. Its my understanding that the individual performers retain the rights to their performances, so they would all have to agree to it. Interesting though, a lot of these performances that were not included wind up on youtube anyway.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 16, 2007 8:16:39 AM PST
Doug, according to the shows website, Cale was not at the 2007 festival, but was at the previous one, and 2 of his songs are included on that DVD.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 16, 2007 10:54:12 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 16, 2007 10:59:21 AM PST
S. Armeson says:
A felony crime. Jeff Beck is an impossible act to follow. I'm sure the other guitarists (in their heart of hearts) were thoroughly humbled by Beck's performance. I've been a fan since 1963. Let's face it...Beck's the man!

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 16, 2007 10:57:34 AM PST
S. Armeson says:
There's a rendition of Jimi Hendirx's "Manic Depression" that Beck just performs fabulously. I was stunned when I heard it. "You had it coming" is a fantastic CD. I highly recommend it.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 16, 2007 6:57:53 PM PST
JJ Cale was on the 2004 Crossroad Show, but I just read on a magazine web site, Jamweb or something like that. The article was devoted to JJ and his lack of performances since the 2004 program and "To Tulsa and Back Tour" that he did 5 songs with Eric and his band including "Cocaine" and "After Midnight". He is about 70 years old and most likely not hear much in the future. This is disappointing to me, I have been a fan since I was 18 and first heard "After Midnight" on an Oklahoma City AM radio station in the late '60's.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 22, 2007 5:59:29 AM PST
I understand everything thats been said about Beck being shy, not liking to see himself on film, etc.
However, you can see numerous clips on line of his 1999 and 2006 tours, as well as his entire set at Crossroads. Why not just clean up the video and sound on those and release them on DVD? I'd pay $20-$25 to have a good 5.1 dolby sound of these with better video, rather than having to watch them on youtube, and he'd make money from it.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 23, 2007 9:19:54 AM PST
Jeff Beck was indeed at the first Crossroads Guitar Festival in Dallas. However, he only played one song (Cause We've Ended As Lovers) because of an impending thunderstorm & lightning striking the towers above the stage. I unfortunately was not in Chicago this year, but I did see the PBS telecast & will be getting the DVD for Christmas. Beck's version of A Day in the Life is on a CD of George Martin's from 1998 called In My Life.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 27, 2007 11:59:28 AM PST
I have vinyl versions of 'Beck, Bogert and Appice Live in Japan - 1974, and 'Jeff Beck With the Jan Hammer Group Live' - 1977, Both of which are available on CD, from Amazon. Saw him around this time live with Jan Hammer - amazing! Don't know if there are any live Yardbirds with Jeff Beck, though there are live performances featuring Eric Clapton & Jimmy Page?

In reply to an earlier post on May 21, 2008 2:08:19 AM PDT
Vapallia says:
Most commonly the problem with a live recording is simply that the parties involved - the artist/management, the venue, (and the production company) - cannot reach agreement on the split of the royalties on the product. The venue can stop a recording being released if it's without their consent and a contract. Unfortunately for the artist and us fans, it's usually management on both sides that act like school children and will not reach agreement - so the term management is ill used when referring to these idiots, especially in the music industry.

The only glimmer of hope is that if it won't ever come out as a product then someone at the production company will sneak it onto the web in all its glory.

I'm referring mainly to the recent shows at Ronnie Scotts in London. But would also like to be able to buy the Crossroads 07 set.

In reply to an earlier post on May 24, 2008 10:18:25 AM PDT
He played more than that. There are two tracks on the crossroads concert DVD and he did a 50 minute set

In reply to an earlier post on May 24, 2008 10:22:20 AM PDT
He played more than that. There are two tracks on the crossroads concert DVD and he did a 50 minute set

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 28, 2008 8:34:12 AM PDT
Vapallia says:
Jeff Beck live at Ronnie Scotts was shown on BBC4 and is now on iPlayer for about 1 more week so you can view online.

A DVD is scheduled for release in 2009 by Eagle Vision. The CD version is being released end of November this year.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Participants:  12
Total posts:  21
Initial post:  Nov 24, 2007
Latest post:  Oct 28, 2008

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 6 customers

Search Customer Discussions
This discussion is about