4.0 out of 5 stars 8/10 - Very different
This was another one of those movies that I missed when it went into theaters, and it was also a film I really wanted to see. I'm a huge fan of Jason Segel's (Jeff) work, so naturally I wanted to see this. However, it was nothing like I expected.

Published on June 26, 2012 by J. Richardson

2.0 out of 5 stars Cute film ruined by awful camera work
Published on June 16, 2012 by Chris

4.0 out of 5 stars 8/10 - Very different, June 26, 2012

I thought we'd follow Jeff through a point of his life that covered a week, a month, or any set period of time for that matter, but that's not really what happens. We follow Jeff through one crazy day in his life. Which isn't bad, but I feel they could've done more with the character had they expanded the amount of time the movie covered in his life. On top of that the movie is really short, running just over one hour and twenty minutes.

Jeff is a 30 year old stoner who currently lives in his mothers basement. He's recently been infatuated with the movie Signs, and is taking everything that happens to be some sort of sign. Jeff's main goal is to find some sort of greater purpose for himself. He feels lost in today's world, as if there's something he's supposed to find out about himself. During the movie he is helping his brother Pat (Ed Helms) who is also going through a rough patch. Only difference is Pat has a wife, a job, and a life. Even though the movie didn't play out as I expected, I still fell in love with it. Mainly with Jeff. I feel I resemble Jeff a lot in the sense that I too am searching for what my destiny is in life, and until I do I just live life day to day. You see everyone else around you progressing in their lives, and you just feel stuck.

I don't know who did the music to the film, but it was wonderful. It definitely served its purpose in setting the perfect mood for the film. It's very lighthearted and carefree, I hope I can find the score somewhere.

The only thing I can really complain about aside from the length is how it was filmed. If you've ever watched an episode of the Office, that's the best thing to compare it to. The camera is kind of shaky and it zooms in and out on the character a few times in each shot. It doesn't make it unwatchable, but that kind of filming isn't for everyone.

Overall Score: 8/10 - Even though it didn't turn out as I expected, I still highly recommend this film. If you're into those weird comedy films that don't necessarily try to be comedies, then you will enjoy this. Overall it's a beautiful movie, and Jason Segel does an amazing job as Jeff. I can't picture anyone else playing him.

5.0 out of 5 stars An Engaging and Powerful Movie, June 21, 2012
When I read the description and reviews of this movie, I was expecting a somewhat average movie - one worth watching once, and then probably forgetting shortly afterward. What a surprise!
The movie was engaging from start to finish. I loved the realism, the "presence" of the scenes, the slow but deliberate unfolding of the plot, and the strong acting, especially that of Ed Helms.
By the time the movie was almost over, I realized it was special and that I needed to purchase a copy of it. Then, as an added bonus, the ending was completely unexpected - and incredibly powerful.
I rented this, but I will definitely be purchasing a copy of it very soon. This is one to watch over and over.

5.0 out of 5 stars Heartwarming, June 24, 2012
I loved this movie. Its subtlety reveals so much about human relationships and interconnectedness. If you are struggling to find meaning for your life, this movie is right for you. Plus it has a good star cast.

5.0 out of 5 stars $3.99 well spent, July 2, 2012
This was the best movie I have seen in a long time. The story is amazing the cast is awesome. I never rate movies but I really had to this time.

5.0 out of 5 stars "HILARIOUS, HEARTWARMING, TOUCHING!", June 23, 2012
A very Enjoyable comedy about family bonding, relationships and more. The acting performance is Superb. Jason Segel and Susan Sarandon at their best! The story has funny moments and heartfelt moments. But, there's never a dull moment from start to finish, inspiring and touching. Highly Recommended!

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Off Beat Comedy! A+, June 18, 2012
I am a huge fan of Jason Siegel and his work, but I think this movie proves he can act. I think this is his possible transition from comedy into developing into a serious actor. The script is fantastic and all of the acting by other actors are great. I would give this movie an A+, too bad I never heard of it until it was released on video/on demand through Amazon.

4.0 out of 5 stars Emotionally powerful, March 18, 2012
Jeff, Who Lives at Home isn't the type of comedy you'd expect from the likes of Jason Segel and Ed Helms. While the film's humor is similar to what you'd find in an episode of "The Office" (which Helms co-stars in) in the sense that everything is very dry and isn't necessarily side-splitting but chuckle worthy, both Segel and Helms manage to be slightly different from the roles they've played in the past.

Jason Segel is Jeff; a thirty year old pothead that still lives in his mom's basement. Helms is Pat; Jeff's slightly more responsible older brother with marital problems. These summaries don't sound all that different from Segel's role in Knocked Up or Helm's role in The Hangover, but there's more to their characters than what's first let on. Jeff is incredibly depressed and has this hopeless sense of coincidences being signs of a bigger purpose while Pat is a total prick. He does whatever he wants to do without listening to anyone else and has a way of making anyone he's talking to feel like an idiot in the span of a few lines of dialogue.

The other element is Susan Surandon who portrays the mother of Jeff and Pat. She's a hopeless romantic who hates what her children have grown into. Linda's secret admirer storyline is the first part of Jeff, Who Lives at Home that feels genuine. The conclusion of that secondary storyline is when the movie ditches its attempt at R-rated independent humor and becomes more emotional and real.

It's not that Jeff, Who Lives at Home doesn't have its humorous moments. The humor is at its peak when Segel and Helms share screen time. Pat digging in the trash outside of the restaurant as Jeff advises him not to and their conversation outside of the hotel room are two of the funniest scenes in the movie, but it feels like familiar ground. Any indie comedy you can think of is similar in comparison. It's like the movie is trying way too hard to be indie at times. I found myself thinking of Little Miss Sunshine. Once Pat's marriage heads south is when things start to really mean something.

The camera work was really odd though; constantly zooming in and out on still shots like Jeff sitting on the couch and talking on the phone or during conversations in general. There wasn't really a lot of movement to try and follow or anything. At first it seemed to be for a dramatic effect, but then the zooming became too frequent.

Films that have meaning should be held at higher value than the ones that are pure entertainment. Entertaining movies are fun, but it's like they only have one layer to them. Films that give a message seem to have several layers to them and if done properly allow you to feel more emotions and allows you to feel like you've witnessed the complete cycle of a group of characters. Jeff, Who Lives at Home treads similar ground that Salmon Fishing in the Yemen does in the way that the least likely person winds up being the voice of reason.

Fate and everything coming full circle are huge plot points in the film that are revealed in very satisfying ways. With some different from the norm performances from both Jason Segel and Ed Helms and a message that is both heartfelt and fulfilling, Jeff, Who Lives at Home is an emotional journey that eventually becomes charming after showing you its awkward stages of adolescence.

2.0 out of 5 stars Cute film ruined by awful camera work, June 16, 2012
Keep the camera still please. Please, take your finger off the zoom button. The acting is good. The story is OK. But an enjoyable enough film is ruined by the jerky-cam. Dear directors. Dear cinematagraphers. Please buy a tripod or rent a steadicam. Stop it with the jerky-cam. It went out of style about a week after The Blair Witch Project went to the $1 theaters over ten years ago. Now, this ruins your film. It was unwatchable. It doesn't create uneasiness. It didn't add realism. It only made me unable to pay attention to what is happening. Every single shot of the entire film I felt the directors wanted to remind me "you're watching an indie film". Keep the camera still. Tape the zoom button down so you cannot accidentally press it. Stop it. Just please, stop.

5.0 out of 5 stars Self-analyzing heroic comedy with a dash of magic, June 22, 2012
The most unusual and surprising movie I've seen recently is this story of two brothers and ther mom.

Jeff is a 30-year-old bong smoker still living in the basement. Brother Pat selfishly buys a Jaguar when his wife wanted to get a house. They fight and soon after, he sees her going into a restaurant with another man. Pat enlists Jeff's aid in spying on his wife, but the stoner is only so helpful, for he has his own obsession: the name Kevin.

Meanwhile, their lonely mom is getting flirty IM's on the job from an anonymous co-worker.

Dont wanna give away too much of the plot. Love the way it transitions from dumb comedy, to introspection, to heroic actioner, and finally in the last moment, mysticism. Can't recommend this feel good film too highly!

Written and directed by Jay and Mark Duplass. (Two guys also obsessed with someone named Kevin.)

Parenthetical number preceding title is a 1 to 10 IMDb viewer poll rating.

(6.8) Jeff, Who Lives at Home (2011) - Jason Segal/Ed Helm/Susan Sarandon/Judy Greer/Rae Dawn Chong

5.0 out of 5 stars Loved the story and the actors!, June 20, 2012
Really a gem of a film that I had never heard about before seeing it on Amazon. Great performances and a very well done script. Highly recommend!

Jeff, Who Lives at Home (+UltraViolet) [Blu-ray]
Jeff, Who Lives at Home (+UltraViolet) [Blu-ray] by Mark Duplass (Blu-ray - 2012)
$39.99 $14.99