5.0 out of 5 stars Fast food myths shattered and reconstructed.
Cooking healthy food is cheaper, faster, and easier than buying drive-thru fast food.

"Shopping the grocery store perimeter" is just one option. Canned, frozen, bottled, and packaged foods can be a delightful component of a whole-foods plant-based diet.

Published on October 19, 2010 by 2bluesky2

3.0 out of 5 stars This should be 1/3 the running time and cost ten bucks.
Published 23 months ago by Dantechick

5.0 out of 5 stars Fast food myths shattered and reconstructed., October 19, 2010
2bluesky2 (Corvallis, Oregon) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Jeff Novick's Fast Food 1 (DVD)

Recipes are history. There are only ingredients and proportions - and all proportions are "to taste."

Salt and sugar are not necessary to produce good taste.

These are some of the surprising themes Jeff Novick demonstrates in his Fast Food DVD. Food purists may at first be shocked, but Jeff demonstrates how to construct healthy and tasty whole-food meals using ingredients from a can, freezer, bottle, or package. He uses familiar foods generally available in grocery stores. He uses tools and equipment everyone is likely to have in their kitchen. Each meal takes about 15 minutes or less to prepare and cook. He estimates that the food ingredients he uses cost about $4 per person per day. He makes a convincing case that healthy and tasty whole-food meals are cheaper, faster, and easier than buying fast foods at a drive-thru.

On a separate included CD, you get a printable pdf version of all the recipes he creates. But he makes clear that "recipes" should never interfere with your own creativity. Vary all ingredients and proportions to your taste.

If it matters to you, all of his recipes are sugar, salt, and soy free.

This DVD is a mind-opening adventure for whole-food advocates. Jeff points out that whole foods can retain their nutrition and flavor even when canned, frozen, bottled, or packaged. Check food labels to be sure you are getting just the food you want, and not a bunch of unwanted ingredients and unrecognizable chemicals.

I had only a few minor quibbles with Jeff's presentation. In a few demonstrations, he uses a steel bladed knife to cut whole tomatoes while they are in his cooking pot. That technique will dull your knife blades and scratch your pots. Instead, use a plastic knife to cut the tomatoes while they are still in their can, or just buy diced tomatoes. He also regularly tosses the water from the salt-free cans of beans he uses. That looks like a waste of good broth to me.

Those quibbles don't affect Jeff's overall outstanding presentation. He shows whole-food advocates that modern food packaging techniques can fit in perfectly well with their food choices. He combines "cheap, fast, easy, healthy, and tasty" themes in a way perfectly suited to modern lifestyles. That's all quite an accomplishment.

*****

4.0 out of 5 stars Great DVD for New Vegetarians, November 9, 2010
This review is from: Jeff Novick's Fast Food 1 (DVD)
Pros: The recipes are simple and easy. Jeff Novick shows how to make lunch or dinner meals, plus a few other breakfast and dessert items. Sometimes the camera moves to an odd angle, but the overall presentation is very good. Jeff explains how he came up with these recipes and presents his extensive background in nutrition and cooking. Having young children help in the kitchen shows how easy these recipes really are.
Cons: Most of the meals are too similar, although our family enjoyed eating all of them. Using a different base for some of the recipes might help with providing more variety. Jeff's assistants sometimes make rather innocent, although distracting comments.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fast food, March 26, 2011
This review is from: Jeff Novick's Fast Food 1 (DVD)
I probably have 20 video's on healthy eating and this is the best one I've seen. My wife and I live in the Bahamas and have watched it twice. I also printed out the recipes. We went down and bought a two Month supply of food for $240 (Bahama prices which is higher than the States). We love to eat this way and whats great about it, everything is ready in 10 Min. and healthy. Its hard to get fresh fruit and Veggies here and Jeffs use of frozen veggies, fruits and can goods is ideal for our lifestyle living on a boat.

5.0 out of 5 stars Made cooking, shopping, and meal planning SO EASY, January 29, 2013
This review is from: Jeff Novick's Fast Food 1 (DVD)
I am newly converted to the concept of low fat, plant based eating. After watching Forks Over Knives and after reading The Starch Solution - I had all the WHY information I needed to change the way I eat and the way I feed my family. I even had a bunch of recipes since I bought quite a few useful cookbooks. I found that the problem was my menu planning, shopping, and cooking was just too complex to make the change consistent.

I am so glad I found these videos by Jeff Novick. I bought all three of the Fast Food series. This one is the one that made the biggest difference and finally made the low-fat, plant based eating a reality for me and my family.

I make the dinners in big enough batches that they are available for lunch the next day. I also start most of my mornings off with his fruity oatmeal and make that in a double batch as well. I like it hot with some light soy milk for breakfast and then I have a little bit later in the evening cold a bit like a dessert crumble. I also keep a bunch of the burgers from the Fast Food 2 video and salad fixings and cut up vegetables in the fridge so that is another option for lunch the next day. I also keep a veggie rich soup in the fridge as well.

What felt so different and complex now is so easy. My total meal prep time for the day including cooking is 20 minutes all day long. Breakfast, 5 minutes and my personal dessert is already made now. Dinner is five minutes for prep and to get water boiling and 10 minutes cooking and lunches are already made. The only day I cook more than that is once a week I throw together a pot of soup to keep in the fridge for any meal alternatives. (Although the burgers do add 10 minutes time to meal prep since they sit in the fridge for 10 minutes before cooking.) Also, it only takes me about 2 minutes max to clean up my kitchen when my meals are made.

I am convinced that these DVDs are the reason I was able to successfully make the change to eating and cooking healthy 7 days a week. I have recommended them to my sister and to my mother who are also trying to eat plant based.

5.0 out of 5 stars Revolutionize your grocery budget!, December 14, 2011
Read A. Book "teenlitgirl" (Denver, CO United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Jeff Novick's Fast Food 1 (DVD)
Let me just say that this busy career girl desperately needed this DVD. I make one of Jeff's recipes on a Sunday in 30 minutes and I swear it lasts me the entire work week! Jeff not only shares specific recipes, but shares his tips for building your pantry to quickly throw a hearty meal together. It's extremely healthy and lost cost. I use organics and apply his concepts and I still come under my grocery budget! The varieties are endless... Regarding a DVD versus reading a traditional recipe book-- if you are a visual learner, you will find that you remember his concepts because you watched him do it. The DVD is a little repetitive, but it's several months since I have watched it and I still remember everything. Thank you Jeff for helping me improve my health!

5.0 out of 5 stars Awesome fast & healthy recipes that even the cooking-impaired can make!, November 22, 2012
This review is from: Jeff Novick's Fast Food 1 (DVD)
I own 2 copies of both Fast Food 1 & Fast Food 2 because they are always out on loan. I've lost over 80 lbs. (from a size 3x or 24W to a size 6 or Small!) after attending the 10-day live-in McDougall program where I first saw Jeff's demo of these recipes live. I bought copy #1 right after the program and copy #2 after so many people asked to borrow it. I don't like to cook and I am not good at it....but, even I am able to make these recipes (which means ANYONE can do it) and I give these McDougall diet-friendly recipes a great deal of credit in making my weight loss and road back to health successful. Everyone who has seen my amazing transformation asks about what I eat and I point them towards this video. Every family can use a way to make fast healthy meals....well, here is the answer to your prayers!

3.0 out of 5 stars This should be 1/3 the running time and cost ten bucks., March 7, 2013
This review is from: Jeff Novick's Fast Food 1 (DVD)
I purchased all three videos in the Fast Food series, a whopping 78 bucks. First off I'd like to say they are informative, Mr. Novick lays out a nice little template to create low fat, healthy, vegan recipes. It is quick and easy. However, he didn't have to show every step, every time, too much repetition, wasted video time. The production values are in the toilet, my 15 year old has produced better for youtube. I did like the pdf files for the recipes that I printed, that was a nice bonus, but not worth the $24 I paid for each dvd! All in all, good info for those of us new to a plant based diet, but way too expensive.

5.0 out of 5 stars Best DVD on cooking EVER for busy people who want to be healthy, May 16, 2012
E. TeSelle "pawsplus" (Nashville, TN United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Jeff Novick's Fast Food 1 (DVD)
Jeff Novick's Fast Food DVD is simply AWESOME!!! I got it because I follow the McDougall plan and I needed fast and easy ways to make on-plan meals. This DVD MORE than delivers--to the point where I almost never maky anything BUT "Fast Food" meals anymore. What's great is that there are really no recipes--once you learn the basics, you can create whatever you like with whatever you have on hand. I can toss a meal together in 10 minutes no matter what b/c I always keep canned no-salt-added beans and tomatoes, rice, and frozen veggies on hand. It really is that easy.

Jeff's Longevity Soup is my favorite "recipe." I've never made it the same way twice and I've never not completely enjoyed what I made. I make huge vats of it and then eat it for a solid week.

I can't recommend this DVD highly enough. It really is that useful!

5.0 out of 5 stars Just What the Doctor Ordered, September 8, 2012
Marianne K Wohl (Akron, Ohio United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Jeff Novick's Fast Food 1 (DVD)
Jeff Novick's Fast Food is "just what the doctor ordered" in that Jeff Novick shows his audience how to prepare and fix delicious, inexpensive, affordable AND healthy meals in a short amount of time, i.e., 10-15 minutes. Using healthy ingredients that are available in almost all grocery stores and costing less than $25 per person a week, this DVD hits it out of the ball park! I have recommended this DVD to a large number of busy people who complain of not having the time to fix healthy meals for their families. Instead they go to fast food places where the food is convenient but NOT at all healthy. Given the epidemic of obesity and malnutrition in this country due to the Standard American Diet or SAD diet, Jeff Novick's Fast Food is the way to go! I highly recommend this DVD!

5.0 out of 5 stars the missing link, February 16, 2013
Amazon Customer (Boulder Creek, CA USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Jeff Novick's Fast Food 1 (DVD)
This dvd fills the gap that exists between wanting to change to healthy eating habits, and the practical application of that desire. These quick, easy to prepare recipes that require basically no food prep are delicious enough to serve guests, and get glowing compliments besides. I'm currently on an extended road trip and these recipes are perfect for on the road, no fuss, no muss (almost no clean up!) healthy meals! Thank you Jeff Novick!!

Jeff Novick's Fast Food 1
Jeff Novick's Fast Food 1 by Sabrina Nelson (DVD - 2010)
$23.90