Automotive Holiday Deals Up to 50% Off Select Books Shop Men's Athletic Shoes Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon Indie for the Holidays egg_2015 All-New Amazon Fire TV Grooming Deals Gifts Under $50 Find the Best Purina Pro Plan for Your Pet Amazon Gift Card Offer bf15 bf15 bf15 $30 Off Amazon Echo $15 Off All-New Fire Kindle Black Friday Deals Outdoor Deals on HTL

Format: HardcoverChange

VINE VOICEon December 6, 2011
I've been making your standard Jell-o shots for years and I'm known as the one that brings them to the party. When I saw this book it really excited me as a new way to step up an old favorite. It's also a great way to use up some old bottles of booze you have sitting in your cabinet that only have a little bit left. Plus you can introduce yourself to some newer cocktails in a way that is very user friendly. I've made probably about 3/4 of the recipes in this book thus far and I haven't really found one that has been a complete dud. The favorites have been the classic fruity cocktails like the strawberry daiquiri and the cosmopolitan with one dud being the lemon drop due to it's lack of excitement. For the most part these taste just like the cocktails they're named after and the layered jelly shots are really pretty to look at-making people think you've spent more time then you have. Another bonus is that unlike your standard Jell-o shots which got watery after being out of the refrigerator for more than ten minutes these will stay sold after hours of sitting on the shelf. I've even chilled unused ones and had them again the next day which is unheard of with Jell-o. This book is a must have for those that love novelty entertaining.
on August 2, 2011
If you love to entertain, the recipes in this book are perfect. Tasty, boozy, and freaking cute- they are a fun conversation topic as well. I made the Cosmopolitan shots for my sister's bachelorette party and they were a huge hit.

The only snag i have run into so far is adapting the recipes for vegetarians. The book has a page on 'how to substitute agar agar', but I tried this method twice according to directions, and both ended up grainy, slimy, and shapeless.

That said, all the shots made using gelatin have set up perfectly and are extremely user-friendly. They all (except for the agar agar ones) turned out just like the photos- when is the last time you had that experience with a cookbook?

Anyway, if you are looking for something fun and different for your next party, that doesn't require too much work, this is perfect!
44 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on June 2, 2011
I had made a couple of Jelly Shot Test Kitchen recipes before from their blog and they have always turned out well. I am excited to have such a wide variety of shots now at my disposal - there's one for almost every occasion. Most of these recipes are pretty much idiot-proof, and are rated according to their difficulty as well. A fun, bright, and cheery layout make this a lovely book just to own and leave out for perusal. There's a large picture for every jelly shot, which only cause your mouth to water as you flip through. I have already made the Melon shots and they were yummy. Since I don't like to cook much, I find these a great alternative to take to a party or get together. They are a hit! Highly recommended.
on January 5, 2012
If you want to give a dinner party a fun twist this book is for you (not that you will need an excuse). The recipes are easy to follow and with the rating system used, it gives you an indication up front about their level of difficulty.

So far I've made the:
- Bee's Knees (I've never had the cocktail version of this, but to me it tasted a bit like a alcoholic cough drop - not a bad thing - just my observation)
- Baileys and Coffee (All I can say is yum!)
- Chocolate Martini (Again - yum!)

I'd encourage people to read the "Before you start" section, which provides a handy chart re the different types of gelatin that can be used. I was not able to find the brands of gelatin suggested in the book (I'm in Australia) but have used both gelatin powder and gelatin leaves, both with successful results. I have not tried using agar-agar powder (a vegetarian option), so can't comment, but note that another reviewer found that the results were not that good.

The "Techniques and Tips" section is also worth a read, as it explains what pans to use, using cookie cutters and molds to make fun shapes and other useful information.

There are 7 non-alcoholic options towards the back of the book, as well as recipes for any syrups used in the book. So would I recommend this book - YES!
on January 7, 2013
This is a beautiful book. The photographs are incredible. The recipes need some tweaking however. Every one I tried uses too much gelatin so the "jelly shots" are chewy and tough. Cut back the gelatin by about 1/4 in each of the recipes and they are awesome. I've made about half the recipes in the book and except for the ones that use cream they are all good, after being tweaked a bit.
on March 7, 2012
Love this book!! So far I have only tried a few recipes but they have all been great. They taste just like the drinks. Great for Superbowl, birthdays, etc.

The directions are simple and easy to follow, I have not tried any of the tecniques yet, but feel confident that I could pull them off.

Keep in mind these are "jelly" shots, not "jell-o" so the consistancy is different, not as "goopy" they are much more firm.

Also, my guests and I have determined that the vodka based recipes are best, the ones with whiskey can be a bit strong (but maybe thats what you want?), not always, I think it also depends on what other ingredients are in the recipe to distract from the whiskey flavor. Who wants to eat their whiskey?

I suggest trying the Vodka Pink Lemonade as your first recipe, its very easy and a good introduction into the world of jelly shots, not to mention delicious.

All in all, lots of fun and very original
on October 10, 2011
I bought this book because I have never even heard of jelly shots before and I was curious as to what they were like. Well, if you aren't careful, they can be lethal. Each recipe is a mix of different flavors and liquors layered together to produce lovely little squares of potentially potent liquor. They do not taste boozey, and that is where the danger lies. Too many shots and suddenly you find yourself drunk. Fun to make and impressive to serve. A warning though: liquor is expensive. Many of these recipes require expensive and exotic liqueurs, so be prepared to do some damage to your wallet.
on June 3, 2011
Oooh, I love this book! Easy to read and follow, I have made Melon shots, Cuba Libre (rum & coke) shots, and it gives you the info you need to design your own....I made cinnamon shots (with cinnamon schnapps) and even designed shots around my favorite cocktail, the St. Ginger, which is made with muddled cilantro, ginger and lime, vodka, St. Germain and ginger ale. It made terrific shots! This book has plenty of area on pages for your own notes and recipes (which I do with all cookbooks.) I may even try making some for a local that I know the secrets! SUPERIOR cookbook! Next batch I'm using bubblegum vodka and grape juice......
0CommentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
If you've ever wanted to make a slightly fancier jello shot that accurately captured the flavor of your favorite cocktails, this book is for you. There's no jello mix or dixie cups involved, these shots are more polished - in presentation and flavor. I picked this up when I wanted to serve some jello shots at a cocktail party for my 30th birthday and wasn't disappointed. In fact, for me it has all of the right components for a 5 star cookbook.

First, the book has a great range of jelly shots including a lot of the classic cocktails you expect so it is very true to the book's name. It's also a great book for anyone who is a visual cook/mixologist. There are lots of pictures which give you not only a good idea of what the product will look like, but also plating and presentation tips.

Next, the instructions are very detailed to guarantee success. I especially appreciated that that they included tips on using molds and cookie cutters and a suggestion to up the amount of gelatin powder you use if you opt for molds vs. cookie cutters. I was surprised using their tips how easy it was to make molded jello shots that looked beautiful. To me that not only was very helpful, but suggested they had done their due diligence in testing the recipes. You'd think this should be a given these days but I've been surprised at how many recipes are incomplete in other books or just don't work. Vegetarian cooks will also appreciate that they give substitutions for agar agar.

But probably most importantly, the recipes work and are delicious! I made the Lemon Drop shots and not only were they easy to make and turned out perfectly, the flavor was delicious - flavorful & powerful. The Bailey's and Coffee shots I made were also a huge hit. Definitely NOTHING like the more artificial tasting shots you get made with jello powder. I can't wit to try out even more of the recipes and update my review accordingly. But I think the bottom line is that while the recipes vary in terms of skill level and time requirements there are a lot that are easy that even if you are a novice cook, you will be able to make them separately.

Overall I couldn't be more thrilled with this book and recommend it more highly. It is clear that a lot of work was put into this book and it shows in the quality of the directions, photos, and end product.
on June 24, 2011
My wife and I have absolutely loved using this book. The recipes actually taste like the cocktails theyre named after, and they look amazing. This is a solid purchase, and with enough time, you'll be able to create some great treats for quests. Ive bought quite a few recipe books before, but this one certainly isnt one I regret. You wont either.