4.0 out of 5 stars Classic Jen
Like all of her other books, this one is well written, snarky, and funny, but for some reason I'm having trouble getting into it. I think after five books I am just getting bored of the antics. That said, if you're new to her books or a raging fan, you will love this- it's classic Jen, so that's why I'm rating it a four.

I did notice a few chapters were lifted...
Published on May 8, 2012 by Seaside

3.0 out of 5 stars Bitter and self-absorbed; and not in a good way

Published on June 23, 2012 by 2Cents

3.0 out of 5 stars Bitter and self-absorbed; and not in a good way, June 23, 2012
This review is from: Jeneration X: One Reluctant Adult's Attempt to Unarrest Her Arrested Development; Or, Why It's Never Too Late for Her Dumb Ass to Learn Why Froot Loops Are Not for Dinner (Hardcover)

I love Jen Lancaster. I have read all her memoirs and they are hilarious. I really, really thought I would love this one, too. If you haven't read anything by her, please choose any of her memoirs. Just not this one.

Jen is still funny, but this book made me cringe. She goes on and on and on about purchases (a fancy-schamancy home, a workshop full of tools, more than one trip to Whole Foods, zinc lions for god's sake), which just makes her sound selfish and materialistic.

Her husband Fletch, the hero of previous books (and one or two of my daydreams) comes off as a weird apocalypse prepper who makes Glenn Beck look moderate.

Her treatment of her family is no longer amusing, either. She comes off as bitter and unkind (instead of the usual biting and funny.)

She even uses the book to launch personal vendettas against an ex-landlord and someone (a fan? a friend? a family member?) who sends unwanted mailings and shows up at book signings.

If you're a Jen Lancaster fan, I won't even try to talk you out of reading this. You need your fix and Jeneration X is better than nothing. But if you're new to Jennsyslvania, start with anything else.

1.0 out of 5 stars So Disappointed!, May 14, 2012
I have read all of Jen's books and really enjoyed them! I also have met her in person and she is very friendly/nice. Being a fan, I was excited for this book to come out. However, instead of trying not to laugh-out-loud, I was just left disappointed. Other reviews are right that it's recycled stories, and the stories come across as really selfish. If you are new to Jen Lancaster, start with "Bitter is the new black" rather than this one. What a dud!

2.0 out of 5 stars Um... I have read this somewhere before... Oh right her last 4 books, May 8, 2012
This is the first kindle book I have ever returned. It is also the first book that I have never finished, unless you count Beloved (which is a whole other rant).

About 1/4 way into the book I felt that this book was a bitchy summary of all the books she had written before. Yes, we loyal readers know that you purchased a giant barbie head while looped up on Ambien. We also know all about your house hunting and purchasing antics from your novel "If You Were Here" which was really just exaggerated memoir (although entertaining).

Sadly, for as much as I love her writing, I just can't get behind paying for a book, when I've already read parts and pieces of it in all her other books and novels that I had already purchased!

1.0 out of 5 stars Oh dear. It's not good., May 16, 2012
I've read all of JL's books. Have purchased many many copies of the first two as gifts. This book and the last two have just about done me in. The novel was a signing deal made with the publisher, clearly. There's no way that would have ever been published on its own merit. This last one, well. It's bad, kids. Randomness cobbled together to make a book to satisfy an annual contract. There is nothing here, I can't even remember what I have read. I'm embarrassed I purchased this. Beyond the fluff and fake lessons blahblah, there's also the end result problem of this character we've known for so long. I know it's non-fiction, but really, this is a character, her shtick. And while it felt authentic in the first couple of books - now it's just a mess. She doesn't know where to go with it and the lack of long term planning by her editor is laughable. Over and over we see them trying to add some "sympathetic" to an unlikeable unsympathetic character. Oh, you're an angry, pushy biotch. But you give to charity! And you like animals! Oh oh, and you CONSTANTLY refer to yourself as overweight - that will make us like you!! Everyone likes a self-deprecating chubby person! Whatever. Go big or go home. You can't have it both ways. And the repeated references to wealth, FANS (who, especially a non-fiction writer, refers to their readers as FANS?), success... it's so obnoxious. Oh but wait, you then remind us that you used to be broke. Ok, now you have wealth, but before you didn't. So you can brag endlessly but yet shame-shame-shame on the reader if she is annoyed, because you did suffer ten years ago (as you keep reminding us over and over). It's so disrespectful to the people paying for your new lifestyle. And additionally, the repeated reminders of HOW VERY HARD you work. It was actually hilarious, I laughed every time, I just couldn't believe it. Oh, JL, this is non-fiction here, so you talk about yourself, I get it. But what are you giving us? What will we take away from this time we spend with you? A contrived wrap up at the end of a four page repurposed essay, oh... it's a lesson! No, it isn't. There are no intentional lessons here. No takeaways. This is clearly a writer and publisher milking something for all it's worth. I don't mind it, everyone wants to make money - but call it what it is and don't pretend it has value to anyone beyond those cashing the checks. Going forward - JL's books should be published in paperback only and sell for $8 max. Otherwise the joke is intentionally on us. That's our lesson here.

1.0 out of 5 stars A valet didn't park her car..oh the humanity, August 14, 2012
I know that the hardcover of this newest memoir from Jen Lancaster is 368 pages but it read like a series of short stories with no overarching theme to this entire memoir. I managed to finish this in less than two hours and instead of laugh out loud moments I had moments of aggravation, dissatisfaction, and anger. I know that Lancaster says that this memoir is an attempt to tie Generation X: Tales for an Accelerated Culture but in the end I think her idea was great but the execution fell flat.

At the end of each chapter Lancaster tries to show a lesson she learns but none of them made sense in some cases after finishing the chapter or in some cases the chapter wandered so when she came to the end I was all "that's it?"

This memoir was not well laid out or written and after the not so great reviews that she received on her nonfiction novel If You Were Here: A Novel I wonder if she was told to go back to writing another funny biting memoir. The problem is/was she didn't write a very good funny biting memoir.

The only entertaining story she told in this entire memoir was about cooking Thanksgiving dinner for herself and her friends.

As previous reviewers have said it is aggravating that she also doesn't tell her stories sequentially. She skips around a lot and some of the stories take place prior to her buying her new home but then it will quickly go back several months to when she was still leaving at her rental.

I know that Lancaster has come out to say that she is successful now so that should not preclude her from buying things such as botox, the newest gadget, cars, etc. and I do agree. I guess the problem is that no one wants to hear about how hard it is for you when the valet doesn't park your car for you.

Finally, I had two truly aggravating take aways form this memoir that resulted in me returning it for a refund.

The first is that parts of this memoir dealt with her pimping her friend Stacy Ballis's newest fiction novel. I have read a few of Ballis's novels and except for one didn't care for the other ones but I guess the point is, if Lancaster is going to go on about how bright and smart her author friends are and how we need to buy their books in her memoirs I am going to pass.

The second was is if you want to read this memoir for free go to Jen Lancaster's blog Jennsylvania since all of the stories except for one or two appear there. I have no idea how the editor or Lancaster didn't realize that people would maybe feel ripped off about this situation. What I find funny in a not so humorous way is that Lancaster is always going on about people cheating her or trying to get away with things and one of her short stories talks about a crooked landlord and I now want her to go back and re-read the definition of irony.

At the end of this memoir I realized that I would only really give it a half a star but Amazon doesn't let you go that low. Overall I would skip reading this memoir unless you really want to complete your Jen Lancaster reading list.

4.0 out of 5 stars Classic Jen, May 8, 2012

I did notice a few chapters were lifted from her blog, which I didn't love, but can't really blame her for doing.

Also, as one of the other reviewers noted, the footnotes issue still isn't fixed on a Kindle, so to truly enjoy this book as it was meant to be read, you need to purchase the hardcover. The footnotes are always the best part!

1.0 out of 5 stars Same Material.....different book, May 14, 2012
I really love Jen and I have read all her books, but this was a dissapointment. Almost all the material has been covered in previous books. I think releasing this book shows how little she respects her loyal readers. I will think long and hard before spending anymore money on her books.

3.0 out of 5 stars I love Jen Lancaster but..., May 11, 2012
I have to echo the disappointment of other reviewers and say that yes, I've read quite a bit of this before. I can't understand why Jen would recycle stories like this. It's like a book version of greatest hits, but when you have waited a year for one of your favorite authors to put out a new book, you really want new material. I love her blog and will continue to read it. And yes, I will buy her next book, as I'm hoping that this was just a blip on the radar. I have faith that Jen can and will do much better with her next book.

I will say that I did still laugh out loud at many of the stories. Her talent is still there. The old material is what mires the book down into "just okay" territory.

2.0 out of 5 stars Phoning it in..., May 22, 2012
I had high hopes for this book. I was excited to read Jen's latest memoir...and really looked forward to her foray back into non fiction. I was so disappointed with Wish You Were Here and was hoping Jen would redeem herself going back to her original format. After about 15 minutes of reading all I can say is that Jen seems to have lost her touch. She comes across as a whiny, intolerant ass**** who looks down her nose at anyone who doesn't share the same beliefs she has. Her schtick is getting old. Some of the things she writes are totally contrived (her big takeaway lesson in volunteering is that you sometimes need to break down and wear the T-shirt?? Really??) and quite frankly embarrassing. She writes about leaving a hotel in the wee hours of the morning, the front desk staffers obviously assumed she was a highly paid call girl because her car was so fabulous, how could she not be? That was weird. We get it...she was poor and now she is fabulously wealthy. I feel like she keeps hitting us over the head with the same stuff....maybe it is because of her blog, but she needs to get some new material (that doesn't include a Barbie Head, monkey wallpaper, her sick dog, her "bat****" family, her fabulous colonial mansion in Lake County, etc etc).

2.0 out of 5 stars Going, going, gone . . ., June 29, 2012
I write this review with a heavy heart because Jen Lancaster was one of the freshest, funniest writers when I first picked up her memoir, "Such a Pretty Fat." I laughed out loud throughout the book. I was so happy to see that she had written two previous books and I ordered both sight unseen and enjoyed them as well. I started getting very disenchanted with "Pretty in Plaid" and my disappointment grew with (I can't even remember the name of the book now). I wouldn't have bought her first novel but a friend bought it for me for my birthday--knowing that I had loved her early books. And I would not have bought this one but the same friend bought it for me--and I thought, maybe that snarky girl who shouted obscenities and threatened her neighbors with a shovel will have returned. Sadly, she didn't.

Jen's writing has just become old and stale. The jokes seem forced and many are plain recycled. Sadly, unless I see rave reviews from people I trust, I will not be reading any more of her books. There are just too many other good options.