Automotive Holiday Deals Books Holiday Gift Guide Shop Men's Athletic Shoes Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon Prime Music Sweepstakes egg_2015 All-New Amazon Fire TV Beauty Deals Gifts for Her Amazon Gift Card Offer cm15 cm15 cm15 $30 Off Amazon Echo $30 Off Fire HD 6 Kindle Cyber Monday Deals BestoftheYear Outdoor Deals on HTL

on August 7, 2013
There are lot of these small, cheap record players on the market but the Jensen JTA-230 is the only one with a pitch adjustment and tone control. It is quite a bit smaller than it looks in the photo -- an LP sticks out of the sides when playing because the disc is bigger than the player itself! The built-in speakers sound OK considering how tiny they are, but it doesn't get very loud, even when turned all the way up. It's loud enough for personal listening, but not for a party or dance lessons.

A 3 mil stylus for playing 78 RPM records is not included, but can be purchased separately (look for part number 793-D3). But the stylus is rather difficult to remove from the cartridge, so if you play them often, you might as well dedicate it to only playing 78s, and get a better turntable for your LPs and 45s, rather than swapping back and forth beween the regular and 3 mil styli.

The USB output, RCA line level output, and headphone jack all work fine, but sounds tinny and lacking in bass, so playing it through larger speakers really doesn't improve the sound quality that much compared to the small built-in speakers. Even if you try to boost the bass using an equalizer, it still won't sound hi-fi. So the JTA-230 is best used as a tiny, inexpensive, self-contained record player. It's a good beginner turntable for kids or for "crate digging" but won't be good enough to be your primary turntable for serious listening.
on November 19, 2014
This thing is awesome. It's like the old record players most of us probably had in our bedrooms to listen to records. About the only thing it doesn't have is the ability to put a stack of records on and let them automatically drop, and the arm doesn't automatically reject and go back to rest on the home position. You can switch it to either keep going in the end-groove, or for it to stop once it gets there.
Sound: It's got two built in speakers that sound better than my old record player did in the 60's, OR you can use the line-out jacks on the back to hook up to external power amp and upgrade speakers like we did in the 70's. It's also got an Aux In jack so can plug in an iPod or phone, to utilize the speakers. And of course the main reason I bought this, is it's got the USB connection to be able to rip my old records to MP3. This thing is a LOT better than what I was anticipating for the money. If you're looking for the same quality sound and experience most of us listened to records on in the first place, this is it. If you're looking for a super high end turntable like the purists (people who wear gloves to handle records) this is not it.
on October 12, 2013
As a music lover and a vinyl collector, this is one of the best record players I have ever owned. Jensen is a reliable brand. The speakers are great for what they are. They are not the loudest, but they get the job done. I recommend getting some bigger speakers if you want to make the neighbors mad. If you listen to rock and guitar wailing records then the pitch adjust is a life saver. All in all I am extremely satisfied with this product. It is a great deal when it comes to the price and the quality.
on February 8, 2015
I bought this record player a few days ago and received it within 24 hours with Prime one-day shipping. This is an incredible value for a very good product. I have tested out a few albums this weekend and had no issues besides skipping on one disc, which was a manufacturing flaw with the vinyl record itself - it was brand new and no other records had problems.

Many people have commented on the speakers being too quiet, but when the volume is turned all the way up (which is recommended when playing records) I thought the sound level was more than adequate. I have very good hearing so perhaps customers with minor hearing loss are experiencing a less-than-desirable sound level with the volume turned up. But no complaints here. I recommend keeping the tone knob all the way up as well, it works as an EQ but I have yet to figure out what exactly it's changing on the sound. Overall the music sounds less grainy and instruments sound more distinct with the tone on max.

Other pros:
- the base and cover are both sturdy
- small size, perfect for small rooms and portability
- all components included, no need to buy externals (unless you're adamant on getting better speakers; I don't find this necessary but then again, I'm not an audiophile)

tl;dr Buy this record player.
review image review image review image
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on August 27, 2013
So far, so good. Product does exactly what I need it to do, I'm getting a kick out of listening to some old vinyl albums. Maybe if I get serious, I'll upgrade, but this does the job fine.
0CommentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on December 26, 2013
My daughter received this turntable from Santa this Christmas along with several albums. It sounded ok through the built-in speakers, but not great. They definitely weren't doing The Beatles justice. I went down to the basement and dusted off an old Sony receiver/amplifier I had from the late 1990's. I then went up to the attic and brought down some old Bose bookshelf speakers from around the same period. Both amp and speakers were in great shape. They just needed a little cleaning. After hooking everything up, I powered on the turntable and amp and threw on Let It Be. The resulting sound can best be described as a dozen or so ferrel cats being simultaneously dragged down a chalkboard. It was horrendous. I checked and rechecked connections and settings. No good. I figured the amp may have been damaged by moisture from having been in the basement for so long, so I dusted off another old amp I had just to see. This one was a very high end Philips amp from the 1980's. Same results.

The RCA connectors I used were high end, so I pretty much ruled those out. The speaker cable was brand new 18 gauge and the runs were only a couple of feet in either direction. I didn't think that was the issue. The sound quality was equally bad from both speakers. I even tried shifting the connections from "speaker system A" to "speaker system B" with no luck. The sound was unlistenable.

On a hunch, I reconnected the RCA connectors from "phono" to "aux". This solved the problem. I then reconnected the turntable to the Sony amp, this time running the connection through the "tape/dat" RCA input as there was no "aux" on the Sony amp. Following some minor adjustments to the amp settings, the resulting sound was actually remarkable. It produces that nice warm mellow sound you simply cannot get from today's digital recordings.

The best I can figure is that older amps must have some sort of special RCA connections that are designed for older phonographs. They probably have some sort of compensating filtering or adjustment that takes into account the fact that older turntables don't have pre-amps. Your guess is as good as mine. Either way, if you decide to hook this turntable up to an older amp with a "phono" RCA connection, you may experience similar results to mine. If so, simply move it to one of the other available RCA connectors.

If you have an old amp and speakers lying around, I would highly recommend that you hook them up to this turntable. I suspect that you will be very pleased with the results.
77 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
Let's be up front here, okay? This is a $50 starter turntable. No one is going to mistake it for a state-of-the-art audiophile sound system. Nor should you expect it to perform like one. You are getting what you pay for:

*A belt-driven 3-speed turntable
*Two built-in side speakers; not sure of size but adequate for a medium-sized room.
*Separate controls for volume, tone and pitch. The change in tone between the two extremes is modest, and the pitch control to adjust playing speed is simply based on your making adjustments until you think it "sounds" right.
*There are line-out jacks in the back and headphone jacks in the front.

In addition, there is an auto stop switch. This allows two options: 1) let the turntable keep running after the needle reaches the run-out groove, or 2) have the turntable shut off when the needle reaches the run-out groove. [Not sure why you would want the turntable to keep running!] There is no option for the tone arm to return to the "rest" position and shut off. Also worth mentioning is the dust cover. It has cutouts in the front, back and on the left. So, yes, you can close the lid while playing an LP, but the edges stick out past the lid.

Now the sound on this system is not amazing. It's not even great. At best, it's good. For comparison purposes, I plugged some Cyber Acoustic speakers into the headphone jack (which shuts off the built-in speakers) and it did sound pretty amazing. Of course, I spent $75 on those speakers and now I have more than doubled the cost of this turntable.

Here's the bottom line. My twenty-something daughter periodically raids my vinyl collection (about 3,000 LPs) and will buy used albums from record shops. However, she doesn't have a turntable and she's not getting my old direct-drive Pioneer PL-200. So for her birthday this month, I got her this turntable. For her current needs, this Jensen unit has the basics and that's all she needs. If you don't want to spend more than $50, let's face it, you're not going to get anything better. RECOMMENDED
33 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on September 5, 2013
This machine is wonderful! We choose it because we have some very old 78 records that we could not listen to as the victrola that
used to play them is not functional. We also chose it because it enables us to connect to our computer to download the records and then burn them to cds. This turntable is great because it plays 33, 45, and 78 records. We look forward to putting our entire record collection on cds eventually. The sound is great and because the speakers are built in it is a spacesaver.
55 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on April 22, 2015
This thing is great! I've never owned a record player before, but my mom has tons of old records and I wanted to listen to them. I was going to get the Crosley one so it could be colored but the reviews were bad. Instead I got this one and it does the job well. It plays all the old records and it sounds fantastic. It's pretty loud as well. I think I'm in love with this thing honestly.
review image review image review image review image
0CommentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on April 30, 2014
Was so excited to get this, as I'd been wanting to transfer my vinyl to my computer, and to have a small record player in my room vs. using the stereo in the den. Opened the package, got it all set up, put on a 33, placed the needle on the record and ZOOM. The needle went straight to the center of the record, with almost no resistance. Tried a 180g vinyl album, ZOOM. Straight to the center again. Tried some old 33s with really deep grooves, ZOOM. My roomie suggested I place a penny on the head cart to see if that would help, but that only made it go to the center a little bit slower. The entire time the volume on the unit was cranked all the way up and there was absolutely no sound at all despite visually confirming that the needle was indeed making contact with the record.

Disappointed, I went to return it and saw Amazon offered free Tech Support. I figured, hey, why not, and called. According to the really nice Amazon rep on the phone, there's no counterweight for the arm on this unit, and no way to add or adjust the level at all. Thankfully, Amazon provided me with a pre-paid return label to ship this doorstop back.

I suppose the only good thing to come of this is that it doesn't appear to have seriously scratched any of the records I tested it on. Yay?

This has the honor of being the first thing I've had to return in 11 years of shopping on Amazon. Considering how much stuff I buy here, that's saying a *lot*.

Buyer beware.