Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: Jensen JTA-230 3 Speed Stereo Turntable with Built in Speakers
Automotive Deals HPCC Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Sun Care Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer CafeSociety CafeSociety CafeSociety  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Segway miniPro

on August 7, 2013
There are lot of these small, cheap record players on the market but the Jensen JTA-230 is the only one with a pitch adjustment and tone control. It is quite a bit smaller than it looks in the photo -- an LP sticks out of the sides when playing because the disc is bigger than the player itself! The built-in speakers sound OK considering how tiny they are, but it doesn't get very loud, even when turned all the way up. It's loud enough for personal listening, but not for a party or dance lessons.

A 3 mil stylus for playing 78 RPM records is not included, but can be purchased separately (look for part number 793-D3). But the stylus is rather difficult to remove from the cartridge, so if you play them often, you might as well dedicate it to only playing 78s, and get a better turntable for your LPs and 45s, rather than swapping back and forth beween the regular and 3 mil styli.

The USB output, RCA line level output, and headphone jack all work fine, but sounds tinny and lacking in bass, so playing it through larger speakers really doesn't improve the sound quality that much compared to the small built-in speakers. Even if you try to boost the bass using an equalizer, it still won't sound hi-fi. So the JTA-230 is best used as a tiny, inexpensive, self-contained record player. It's a good beginner turntable for kids or for "crate digging" but won't be good enough to be your primary turntable for serious listening.
22 comments| 720 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on November 19, 2014
This thing is awesome. It's like the old record players most of us probably had in our bedrooms to listen to records. About the only thing it doesn't have is the ability to put a stack of records on and let them automatically drop, and the arm doesn't automatically reject and go back to rest on the home position. You can switch it to either keep going in the end-groove, or for it to stop once it gets there.
Sound: It's got two built in speakers that sound better than my old record player did in the 60's, OR you can use the line-out jacks on the back to hook up to external power amp and upgrade speakers like we did in the 70's. It's also got an Aux In jack so can plug in an iPod or phone, to utilize the speakers. And of course the main reason I bought this, is it's got the USB connection to be able to rip my old records to MP3. This thing is a LOT better than what I was anticipating for the money. If you're looking for the same quality sound and experience most of us listened to records on in the first place, this is it. If you're looking for a super high end turntable like the purists (people who wear gloves to handle records) this is not it.
33 comments| 313 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on February 8, 2015
I bought this record player a few days ago and received it within 24 hours with Prime one-day shipping. This is an incredible value for a very good product. I have tested out a few albums this weekend and had no issues besides skipping on one disc, which was a manufacturing flaw with the vinyl record itself - it was brand new and no other records had problems.

Many people have commented on the speakers being too quiet, but when the volume is turned all the way up (which is recommended when playing records) I thought the sound level was more than adequate. I have very good hearing so perhaps customers with minor hearing loss are experiencing a less-than-desirable sound level with the volume turned up. But no complaints here. I recommend keeping the tone knob all the way up as well, it works as an EQ but I have yet to figure out what exactly it's changing on the sound. Overall the music sounds less grainy and instruments sound more distinct with the tone on max.

Other pros:
- the base and cover are both sturdy
- small size, perfect for small rooms and portability
- all components included, no need to buy externals (unless you're adamant on getting better speakers; I don't find this necessary but then again, I'm not an audiophile)

tl;dr Buy this record player.
review image review image review image
11 comment| 233 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on October 12, 2013
As a music lover and a vinyl collector, this is one of the best record players I have ever owned. Jensen is a reliable brand. The speakers are great for what they are. They are not the loudest, but they get the job done. I recommend getting some bigger speakers if you want to make the neighbors mad. If you listen to rock and guitar wailing records then the pitch adjust is a life saver. All in all I am extremely satisfied with this product. It is a great deal when it comes to the price and the quality.
44 comments| 325 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on August 27, 2013
So far, so good. Product does exactly what I need it to do, I'm getting a kick out of listening to some old vinyl albums. Maybe if I get serious, I'll upgrade, but this does the job fine.
0Comment| 132 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
Let's be up front here, okay? This is a $50 starter turntable. No one is going to mistake it for a state-of-the-art audiophile sound system. Nor should you expect it to perform like one. You are getting what you pay for:

*A belt-driven 3-speed turntable
*Two built-in side speakers; not sure of size but adequate for a medium-sized room.
*Separate controls for volume, tone and pitch. The change in tone between the two extremes is modest, and the pitch control to adjust playing speed is simply based on your making adjustments until you think it "sounds" right.
*There are line-out jacks in the back and headphone jacks in the front.

In addition, there is an auto stop switch. This allows two options: 1) let the turntable keep running after the needle reaches the run-out groove, or 2) have the turntable shut off when the needle reaches the run-out groove. [Not sure why you would want the turntable to keep running!] There is no option for the tone arm to return to the "rest" position and shut off. Also worth mentioning is the dust cover. It has cutouts in the front, back and on the left. So, yes, you can close the lid while playing an LP, but the edges stick out past the lid.

Now the sound on this system is not amazing. It's not even great. At best, it's good. For comparison purposes, I plugged some Cyber Acoustic speakers into the headphone jack (which shuts off the built-in speakers) and it did sound pretty amazing. Of course, I spent $75 on those speakers and now I have more than doubled the cost of this turntable.

Here's the bottom line. My twenty-something daughter periodically raids my vinyl collection (about 3,000 LPs) and will buy used albums from record shops. However, she doesn't have a turntable and she's not getting my old direct-drive Pioneer PL-200. So for her birthday this month, I got her this turntable. For her current needs, this Jensen unit has the basics and that's all she needs. If you don't want to spend more than $50, let's face it, you're not going to get anything better. RECOMMENDED
33 comments| 41 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on December 26, 2013
My daughter received this turntable from Santa this Christmas along with several albums. It sounded ok through the built-in speakers, but not great. They definitely weren't doing The Beatles justice. I went down to the basement and dusted off an old Sony receiver/amplifier I had from the late 1990's. I then went up to the attic and brought down some old Bose bookshelf speakers from around the same period. Both amp and speakers were in great shape. They just needed a little cleaning. After hooking everything up, I powered on the turntable and amp and threw on Let It Be. The resulting sound can best be described as a dozen or so ferrel cats being simultaneously dragged down a chalkboard. It was horrendous. I checked and rechecked connections and settings. No good. I figured the amp may have been damaged by moisture from having been in the basement for so long, so I dusted off another old amp I had just to see. This one was a very high end Philips amp from the 1980's. Same results.

The RCA connectors I used were high end, so I pretty much ruled those out. The speaker cable was brand new 18 gauge and the runs were only a couple of feet in either direction. I didn't think that was the issue. The sound quality was equally bad from both speakers. I even tried shifting the connections from "speaker system A" to "speaker system B" with no luck. The sound was unlistenable.

On a hunch, I reconnected the RCA connectors from "phono" to "aux". This solved the problem. I then reconnected the turntable to the Sony amp, this time running the connection through the "tape/dat" RCA input as there was no "aux" on the Sony amp. Following some minor adjustments to the amp settings, the resulting sound was actually remarkable. It produces that nice warm mellow sound you simply cannot get from today's digital recordings.

The best I can figure is that older amps must have some sort of special RCA connections that are designed for older phonographs. They probably have some sort of compensating filtering or adjustment that takes into account the fact that older turntables don't have pre-amps. Your guess is as good as mine. Either way, if you decide to hook this turntable up to an older amp with a "phono" RCA connection, you may experience similar results to mine. If so, simply move it to one of the other available RCA connectors.

If you have an old amp and speakers lying around, I would highly recommend that you hook them up to this turntable. I suspect that you will be very pleased with the results.
99 comments| 317 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on June 2, 2015
Save yourself time and money and do not buy this piece of trash! I bought this for my first record player and at first I thought it was okay for the price because I didn't know any better. I thought to myself "for $50 how could this POSSIBLY NOT be worth it?" I read all these 4 and 5-star reviews saying it's good for the price so I foolishly thought it must be worth it despite all these 1-star reviews. So I bought it and tried it out, and it started skipping a lot and didn't sound as great as I hoped it would. Depending on the record it would at best barely play the record, or a few whole songs on a record, but 50-75% of the time it would skip all over and was not enjoyable, whatsoever, by any standards. And it got worse and worse over time just like all the reviews say. But like I said this was my first record player so I was thinking maybe this is normal, maybe records just skip a lot and don't sound as good as I thought they do and maybe some don't play very well.

Well turns out I was WRONG. My friend who's been listening to vinyls for years and is a music major came over and listened to it. At first he was a little impressed that a cheap record player had all the different pitch and tone controls (which are useless by the way if you ever actually use them, when you move them even slightly off center it makes it sound horrible!), but after listening for 5 seconds he knew it was trash, or thought maybe something was wrong with it. We took the records that were playing the worst over to his house to play on his Sony PSLX300USB USB Stereo Turntable, and they played perfectly!! So he tried to help me fix/improve my junky Jensen record player in every way he could think of, cleaning/replacing the needle and adjusting the settings and cleaning the records of every speck of dust, but nothing improved the quality of the records even a little.

After dealing with this for a few months, and after a particularly terrible play-thru of a new record I bought, I decided to cut my losses and pawn that piece of junk and pick a new one. I tried to decide between my friend's Sony PSLX300USB USB Stereo Turntable (priced at $128 at the time of this review), the Audio Technica AT-LP60USB Fully Automatic Belt Driven Turntable with USB Port ($120), and the Audio Technica AT-LP60 Fully Automatic Stereo Turntable System, Silver ($99), and I went with the Audio Tenchnica one without the USB since I don't think I will really ever use the USB function and most new vinyls come with digital copies included anyways. I just tested it out and I LOVE it, its sexy and plays amazing. I was a little nervous since I went with the cheapest of the 3 options, but I'm pleased to say that I haven't had any of these issues or any other issues for that matter. I won't go too much into it since I'm not reviewing that record player right now, but "for the record" (I had to) it plays just as well as my friend's Sony PSLX300USB and was $28 cheaper and I would highly recommend it. If you're trying to transfer your vinyls to your computer then I would recommend you get the Sony PSLX300USB or the Audio Technica AT-LP60USB.
77 comments| 115 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on July 21, 2015
Great product! I got it to listen to some of my dad's old records and it sounds great!! Like other reviewers, I have to agree that the speakers are sufficient for the product. If you want more sound out of the turntable, I would suggest purchasing a set of speakers for it. Overall a great product!!
review image
on August 9, 2014
do not buy this. mine was broken out of the box. the platter does not spin true, it wobbles badly and will ruin your records. the arm is made out of the cheapest plastic i have ever seen. now after listening to 3 records its skipping like crazy, the speakers sound like someone is playing music through a cup and string telephone. its garbage. i am not even giving it another chance with an exchange its getting returned and i am buying something different. this product is horribly disappointing and over priced for its quality.