5.0 out of 5 stars Best rendition of Jeopardy Yet!
Published on November 7, 2010 by Aurora Dawn

3.0 out of 5 stars Missed opportunity with Wii Speak
Published on November 17, 2010 by Amazon Customer

5.0 out of 5 stars Best rendition of Jeopardy Yet!, November 7, 2010
This review is from: Jeopardy - Nintendo Wii (Video Game)
My husband and I are trivia buffs and like to play Jeopardy together, so needless to say we have been eagerly awaiting the release of the game for nearly a year. It has not disappointed! I am glad that THQ is who released it as they did a great job, and it is arguably the best video game version of Jeopardy yet to be released. First off, I should explain that I am playing it more for the trivia and actual game play aspect than the bells and whistles like customizable miis and earning cute little new outfits.

The game play is great. You can skip through the in-game videos. It DOES NOT have to be multiple choice, which I was worried about. If you play in medium or hard modes, you have to input your own answer. In medium mode, after you type in 3 letters the game predicts what answer you're looking for. In hard mode, it does so after you have typed 5 letters. There is also a custom mode which you allows you to choose the difficulty of the questions as well as whether you use multiple choice, or 3 to 5 letter "predictive text". They have done an amazing job with Alex...his mii character is great and they have used his actual voice for the questions. I had no problem getting my mii imported in and this game contains mini games which I thought I would hate, but they are actually fun. They are in between question sets and that is how you earn extra outfits and extra set changes. I have yet to use this with Wii Speak, so I cannot review that aspect of game play. I do know though that with Mii Speak you have to use the multiple choice option, which is why I haven't used it...I think multiple choice defeats the point of Jeopardy.

To buzz in, you hit the A button on the Wiimote. You are then led to a screen with the alphabet on the bottom. You click on either the first 3 or 5 letters in your answer, depending on your difficulty settings, and then in the top left portion of the screen 1 or more answers will pop up to choose from. You then click on the correct answer with the Wiimote and then hit the 2 button and Alex will either cheer or jeer. You are allotted plenty of time to select your answer and you do not have to phrase it in the form of a question.

I only have four minor complaints about this game:
1- Even though it isn't multiple choice on medium and hard modes, once you type a couple letters of an answer in it predicts the answer you are typing, which on certain categories (like "words containing brown")it can get cheap.
2- The Final Jeopardy question is multiple choice.
3- There are only 2400 questions in the game, which at 60 questions per game only allows 40 games to be played until you begin to receive repeating clues. There is no option for downloadable content.
4- There are a couple of programming glitches in the game. One time I got dinged for putting Martin Luther King Jr. as the answer for a question about who delivered the "I Have a Dream" speech. The game told me I should have only selected Martin Luther King. This game, at times, seems to have been programmed in a hurry and is not very willing to accept variations of an answer at times.

All in all this is a great game which I highly recommend! It is well done and I have a lot of fun playing it! I am hoping for a sequel produced by the same company.

3.0 out of 5 stars Missed opportunity with Wii Speak, November 17, 2010
This review is from: Jeopardy - Nintendo Wii (Video Game)
The game itself is fun if you like Jeopardy or trivia games in general. The audio is great. Someone in the other room would hardly be able to tell if you're playing the game or watching it on TV. As far as difficulty, the questions are pretty standard Jeopardy stuff, so if you find yourself only answering one or two questions while watching the show it may be a little too difficult for you. It's definitely not for children unless they just happen to know a LOT of trivia. There are also 3 different difficulty level settings for the questions, so there should be challenging questions for everyone (except Ken Jennings, or course!)

You can choose whether you answer the questions as multiple choice (3 choices) or type it in. Once you type the first few letters (3 or 5 depending on the setting) a list of words come up, so you don't have to type the entire response.

My biggest gripe about this game is the horrible implementation of the Wii Speak. I bought both the game and the Wii Speak thinking that I would be able to call out the answers just like the real show. What I didn't know (and the box doesn't tell you) is that if you're using Wii Speak with the game, it's multiple choice. It doesn't matter what difficulty level you set, it tells you that multiple choice is the only option if you're using the Wii Speak. This defeats the purpose of using the Wii Speak.

If you're not using the Wii speak, then you can type in the answers on Medium and Hard difficulty levels (no multiple choice) but when you're using the Wii Speak, it's always multiple choice. On top of that, you have to speak painfully slow and loud for the thing to understand what you're saying, and have absolutely no background noise or chatter. You usually have to repeat yourself several times before it understands you.

Overall, it's still fun to play. It's just frustrating to see how poorly the Wii Speak functionality was executed. If you like Jeopardy, it's definitely worth buying... just don't bother with the Wii Speak.

4.0 out of 5 stars Best Jeopardy! game yet, well worth $30., November 11, 2010
This review is from: Jeopardy - Nintendo Wii (Video Game)
My girlfriend and I are huge Jeopardy! fans. We watch the show every day and are very competitive with each other. I bought this as a surprise for weekend visit and we were both very pleased with the game. I have played other versions of the game on the PC or online and this version blows them all out of the water. To answer questions about the nuts and bolts of the game, you buzz in with the Wiimote and answer in different ways depending on the difficulty level. On easy mode it is multiple choice; on medium you type the first 3 letters of your response in and it generates a list of possible choices to speed typing; on hard you must type the first 5 letters in to generate a list. There are also mini games in between rounds which unlocks prizes, such as clothing, logos, and concept art. I cannot comment on Wii speak since I don't have it.

Pros:
- Challenging questions
- Fun cartoon-style characters
- Unlockable prizes add a sense of accomplishment
- Easy to input responses
- Relatively cheap compared to other games (return on investment for time of enjoyment is high)

Cons:
- Limited question base (2400+ clues, 60 clues per game means you can only play about 40 games)
- Some minor technical bugs (photo and text mixups)
- One could cheat if they don't know a response by clever use of game mechanics, specifically from the auto-generated list

Conclusion:
If you like trivia games and Jeopardy! you should buy this. Enjoy it for what it is. Hopefully they come out with a second installment which fixes the minor complaints and adds even more clues.

4.0 out of 5 stars It'd Be a 5 If It Weren't Multiple Choice, November 3, 2010
D. Morgan (New York, NY United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Jeopardy - Nintendo Wii (Video Game)
I was very excited to purchase Jeopardy! and WiiSpeak together yesterday, so that my friends and I could play without having to navigate the game board and answers with the wiimotes. The game itself is really fun, the clues are great and the mini-Alex Trebec is a nice touch. Plus, you get to use your Mii's and save the game scores!
My only complaint is, even if you have WiiSpeak hooked up, you are still shown 3 answer options (I was hoping we could do away with the display, to make it more like the actual game where you need to KNOW the answers and not just choose them from a short list.)
I haven't been able to option out of the answer display, but I'll hop online today and see if there's an input code I can use.
Other than that, it's a really fun game and great to play with your friends! WiiSpeak takes some getting used to, but it's very simple to set up and the game comes with a tutorial.
All in all, it's an easy 4 out of 5! If it weren't multiple-choice answer format, it'd definitely be a 5!

2.0 out of 5 stars Trainwreck of a Game, January 2, 2011
= Fun:2.0 out of 5 stars
This review is from: Jeopardy - Nintendo Wii (Video Game)
For such a simple, straight-forward concept, it's amazing how badly they screwed this one up.

Let's talk about the good: the questions and board layout, the heart of Jeopardy, are as they should be. But honestly, how could you mess that up?

Now the bad: where to begin? First, Wii Speak does not work on this game, at least not reliably - and really, it's too bad, as this should be a hallmark game for the device.

The buzzer system is really frustrating. Unlike real Jeopardy, where you have to wait until the question is asked to buzz in, you can basically start buzzing as soon as the question appears on the screen - but who is selected seems totally random. A red bar on the screen SEEMS to indicate when you're allowed to buzz in and how long you have, but in practice, it's irrelevant. Smart way to do this: actually enforce timed buzzing, and penalize those who chime in early.

Without Wii Speak, you're left to type in answers. OK, fine - and they've come up with a neat system, whereby once you've typed in 3 or 4 letters, a drop down appears with full clues to choose from. This saves the trouble of having to type the entire answer - but it also very clearly indicates when you're wrong if your answer does not appear in the list, giving you PLENTY of time to rethink your answer, and start typing around to get a drop down with the right answer.

Also, the answers are REALLY REALLY annoyingly inflexible. I was just playing, and the answer to a question was "co-author with Engels" - Marx. I type in Marx, and the drop down includes MARX and KARL MARX. Thinking they are interchangeable, I choose Marx - WRONG! Alex tells me "Sorry, the correct answer was Karl Marx." Huh??? Then, later, the answer to a Rivers question is Colorado River - so do I choose Colorado River or Colorado from the drop down? In this case, it turns out that COLORADO is just fine for the answer. Later on, in a CHOOSE THE CENTURY category, 12 is WRONG but 12TH is right, while 12TH CENTURY is wrong. Ugh.

On Easy mode, you can play with multiple choice answers, but again, this is pretty dumb, because once you've buzzed in, you've got plenty of time to work through the four answers (and probably guess right) while your fellow players wait in boredom. Frankly, they missed an awesome opportunity here to make an action-packed version of Jeopardy, wherein Alex asks the question, and then the four multiple choice answers are shown on the screen - and it's simply whoever chooses the correct one first. Sort of a Speed Chess version of Jeopardy.

Final Jeopardy is the dumbest thing of all - even if you're playing on medium mode, where you have to type in the questions, Final Jeopardy is just multiple choice. Lame.

Meanwhile, there's no mention of past wins. Seriously, how hard would it have been to have Alex say "And Player 3, our five day champion with a total of $35,000 in winnings." A much needed incentive to continued gameplay.

In between rounds, a series of mini-games are played where you can unlock various prizes. This is great when you're awarded a change of clothes for your character - but most of the prizes are lame concept art (literally, a picture of Alex's 3D character or the Jeopardy set) that you can't do anything with. Meanwhile, half the time, you win prizes that don't work for your gender. I just won a hoodie, but it's a girl's hoodie, so I can't use it on my Mii. Would it have been that hard to set it up so I'd win something I could use?

Finally, the video and segments are really glitchy. Sometimes the audience claps. Sometimes not. Lots of awkward dead silences and jarring cuts between video. The best is when you get a DAILY DOUBLE, and the audience is deathly silent, like it's a bad thing.

Will I play this game again? Sure, because underneath the crappy design, the Jeopardy questions are all I come for. Why two stars? Because it doesn't make me look forward to playing. A game like this should've been a no-brainer, and yet they somehow messed it all up, which seems unbelievable when you sit through the endless game credits.

5.0 out of 5 stars one of the best jeopardy video games, November 13, 2010
This review is from: Jeopardy - Nintendo Wii (Video Game)
I just bought this game, and it is definitely a lot of fun. I heard rumors that the game was just multiple choice. However, this is not entirely true. At the screen where you choose game difficulty, you can choose Easy, Medium, Hard, or Custom. Choosing custom will allow you to choose how to respond to clues (Multiple Choice or typing by 3 or 5 letter auto complete)as well as Wii Speak. There may be not so many clues put in, but it's definitely a good buy with the real Alex Trebek voice for his Mii, along with the ability to use your Mii.

3.0 out of 5 stars Should've Had More Questions, March 2, 2011
This review is from: Jeopardy - Nintendo Wii (Video Game)
I wish I was allowed to give this game a 3 1/2. It truly is tons of fun to play with a group of people. We played 3 teams of 2 players for a handful of hours and had a blast. There is one glaring problem though...they only put 2400 questions in the game.

I just don't understand this at all. Previous versions of Jeopardy games (PS1, PS2) had 3500, 4200, and 5200 questions respectfully. I owned all three of those games, and yes, we did have our fair share of repeats over time; so of course a game with 2400 questions will have repeats much more frequently. I'm not holding my breath on a free DLC pack of questions, so I assume the number 2400 will never change.

It just takes the fun out of the game when, after two hours of play, you get an entire category repeated. Everyone in the room mentally paused when it first happened, before someone decided to ring in. It then just becomes a test of ring in speed, not knowledge.

Anyway, the game is a lot of fun to play...just beware of repeat questions, because it will happen rather frequently. In my opinion, it can really ruin the experience.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good but better Trivia Games out there, December 11, 2010
dirt55 (United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Jeopardy - Nintendo Wii (Video Game)
Jon C.'s review is spot on. This is probably the best version of a Jeopardy game to date on any system. Entering the answers is much easier then expected and did not have to be dumbed down with a multiple choice (medium or higher difficulty). I did find my wife attempting to cheat at times using it's autofill/suggest answer input by putting in a few letters to see what answers would pop up (someone will always find a work around for a game mechanic). I did find the pace a little too slow for my liking with a single game feeling like it took about 30 mins or more. They include some really fun mini games in between the rounds and utilize your Mii quite well if you're into that type of thing. If you're really looking for an amazing trivia game even though it doesn't have the Jeopardy brand attached to it, I would HIGHLY recommend "Smarty Pants" on the Wii.

4.0 out of 5 stars Fun, but some flaws, January 14, 2011
AA123 (New York, NY United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Jeopardy - Nintendo Wii (Video Game)
Well, I LOVE Jeopardy and trivia games in general. This game was worth the twenty bucks I paid for it in December 2010 (the price varies), but I wouldn't pay any more than that.

Pros:
- you can use your Miis (I love this)

- fun "mini-game" breaks between rounds (you win "prizes," which are usually different clothing items you can put on your Mii).

- different difficulty settings, so everyone can pay and enjoy

Cons:
- We've been playing maybe 2 or 3 games a week for a month, and we're already starting to get repeating questions. The Jeopardy round questions are still all new, but the Double Jeopardy questions are not. The worst part is, it's not just one category on the board that's a repeat, it's ALL OF THEM. You really lose the spirit of the game here. If this continues, I'll probably quit playing and give the game to a friend.

- The auto-complete option has flaws. What happens is, when you type in a few letters of your response to a clue, a list of responses starting with those letters comes on the screen, and you can select which one you want. The problem is, sometimes there are two equivalent options, but the game will only accept one as the correct response for that particular clue. For example, both "Jane Grey" and "Lady Jane Grey" show up on the list of responses. It is clearly the same person, but if you are unlucky enough to choose the wrong one you will get the clue wrong. This allows the next person to jump in and give the correct answer. This has happened enough times to really annoy me and the friends I play with. Off the top of my head I can think of several cases where this has happened: Kant vs. Immanual Kant, Bartholomew vs. Saint Bartholomew, etc.

- The auto-complete sort of allows you to cheat. If you type in your response and it doesn't show up on the list, you know it's not correct and you can guess something else. If you really care about this, you can make up rules with your friends about whether are not a player is allowed to change their response. (On the positive side, the auto-complete does prevent you from getting the answer wrong because of a spelling mistake).

- Final jeopardy is always multiple choice (Each response corresponds to a button on the wiimote. Everyone presses the button that corresponds to their response. This way you can't see each other's responses). I guess there's no way around this, since all players have to answer the same clue and everyone can see the screen where you'd type your response. But it's really not in the spirit of the game and doesn't match the difficulty of the other rounds when you play on "expert" level. Maybe they could've had each player answer individually while the others are asked to look away or something.

Conclusion:
If you love Jeopardy, you'll probably enjoy this game. I had a LOT of fun with it, but the flaws can be annoying. The biggest disappointment for me is that there aren't enough clues for me to continue playing without repeats. If I had paid more I'd be more upset about it. Like I said, it's about 20 bucks worth of fun.

5.0 out of 5 stars Top quality game, very well done, January 6, 2011
This review is from: Jeopardy - Nintendo Wii (Video Game)
THQ did an excellent job of making this game, it's very well done. It follows just like the real game show. But what's even more fun about it, is that you can use your own Mii in the game as your player. And to add to it, they created a Mii character for Alex himself that is animated in the entire game, and they used his voice as well.

To select your answer, you are given selections where you use the direction button to select from multiple possible answers.

This is one of the better 3rd party games out there for gameshows.

Jeopardy - Nintendo Wii
Jeopardy - Nintendo Wii by THQ (Nintendo Wii)
$19.99 $10.99