Automotive Deals Summer Reading Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Health, Household and Grocery Back to School Ruby jewelry Amazon Cash Back Offer TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Water Sports

Format: DVD|Change

on July 8, 2007
When I first saw the previews for Jericho, I thought "Another show trying to capitalize on Lost." Granted, I enjoy watching Lost and other serial dramas, but I wasn't sure if I would enjoy a post-nuclear drama. But I recorded it, and decided to give the show a try.

After watching the pilot, I wouldn't say I was hooked, but I was definitely engaged and was willing to see where the show went. It didn't take much longer before I was looking forward to watching Jericho each week. I became hooked on the characters, learning more about their backstories, and their present motivations. Who was Robert Hawkins, and how was he involved in the attacks? Why did Jake leave Jericho and where has he been all these years? Not to mention, who dropped the bomb and what was left of the nation?

Unfortunately, the Nielson ratings went their to support the show. And so CBS canceled the show. And then CBS was shocked to discover the massive protest that erupted. Fans sent over 20 tons of nuts to CBS in protest. Fans had also raised over $20,000 in charity to be sent to Greensburg, KS, a town wiped out by tornadoes.

Many viewers, like myself, watched through alternative means. We watched it later on our DVRs or online. And we weren't counted. When CBS actually looked that those numbers, CBS discovered that they had a solid show and renewed it. So, during the next season, CBS will air 7 new episodes to wrap up the show and if it does well, then more episodes will come.

For new viewers, I highly recommend this show. Watch it, see why so many fans fought so hard to bring it back. Don't be afraid to get hooked. Answers are given :)
33 comments| 168 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on July 10, 2007
One of the few shows in many years that I have actually raced home each and every week to make sure I never missed a single episode!!

The acting abilities of the entire cast is amazing and will draw you in! Not to mention the plot (there actually is one!) and the storyline that will hold you enthralled once you do watch. Start from the beginning and fall in love with Jericho!

In a very subtle way it can also teach us all a thing or two about our friends, neighbors and how to work and live together as actual communities now.
22 comments| 77 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
VINE VOICEon August 2, 2007
I simply love this show and was heartbroken when it was canceled. Imagine my delight, then, when I read about all the fans sending nuts and e-mails to CBS in such volume that the show was revived. Thank goodness there are motivated people out there who work to save us all from mindless and mind-numbing reality shows.

Jericho's strength, to me, is in the idea that what it depicts is entirely possible. I've heard people say it's too depressing a concept for them to want to watch to show but I find it a really fascinating look at the human psyche. What would happen to society as we know it if the bombs were dropped? What would happen to our leaders? How would we fare if isolated from the rest of the world, suffering from a shortage of food and a lack of electricity? Watching the show's characters struggle with these and similar problems never failed to suck me right into the story. Every time I watch it, I find myself wondering what I would do in their shoes.

And yet the show isn't entirely flawless. The subplot with Eric and April was written off in a fashion that suggests the writers had no idea what to do with that particular plot twist. Skylar and Dale need a good slapping--which is disappointing as their storyline initially appeared to be promising.

But what the show does right, it does right. Hawkins is an absolutely fascinating character and I was on the edge of my seat watching as his story played out over the course of the season. The writers did a fantastic job of keeping the viewer guessing about him, of making him both sinister and yet sympathetic. I loved every minute that he was on the screen and I don't think I found any other moment of the series more chilling than the one in which his past catches up with him and closes in on his family.

I also adore Jake as a character. He's a clear leader and does so many wonderful things for the town and yet it is clear that people are not always as good as they make themselves look. The writers gave the viewers some crumbs to help us understand just what it is that makes Jake not such a nice guy but there's still plenty of his past left to be revealed and I, for one, am eagerly anticipating it.

It makes me happy beyond expression that there are television shows like this, shows with strong characters and complicated and intricate storylines. Some people don't want the commitment such a show requires but the payoff is immensely satisfying. Each week the attentive viewer is rewarded by yet another enthralling plot twist, by the unexpected actions of the a character they think they know so well. This is truly wonderful viewing.
VINE VOICEon July 11, 2007
I cannot believe that the word is not out on this TV show. This has to be one of the most exciting programs on TV in a long time. Anyone who likes shows like 24 and Lost will just love Jericho. The catch here is the potential reality. There is very little of this show that one would consider as 'unreal.'

You get jarred from the first episode when you realize that the city of Denver has just gone up in a mushroom cloud. You will also be amazed at how you get wrapped up in the lives of the characters. They are, in many ways, so real. Here you have a small town, with its core of midwest hard work, family and character, and those who are more modernized, free wheeling and 'alive.'

The great thing about this show is how the two perspectives come together in a time of crisis. At the center of the story is the Green family. Dad is the Mayor with a challenge on his hands with Grey wanting to be Mayor. Grey is a little self consumed. Really the show is about values in a time of crisis. Can people stuck in a almost untenable situation, come together to help each other as the world they live in has been changed for the worst forever?

There are so many great characters in this show. You even have appearances from DB Sweeney of the dreaded mercenary army that has been ravaging the countryside. You are led to ask, who was behind the attack, how many cities have been destroyed, where are things headed? Then there is Hawkins, is he a good guy or a bad guy? You are left wondering this even as he becomes more and more involved in the town he just moved to.

There is Jake, the 'bad guy,' of the town, an outcast, who is always slighted, but he has more to offer each time. Then there are the love relationships. What is the right thing to do in a time of crisis? What happens when you have made a mistake, a different decision or even have affected the ones you love?

The lesson here is can we as a society come together in a time of crisis? There are scenes and scenarios that will make you wonder, could that happen to us as a people? Would we be torn apart with towns fighting over scarce supplies? What happens in a world when it becomes everyone for themselves?

The way the show developed over the season is captivating. Sadly, the time it was shown on the tube was up against Idol, that should have not been. If anything, you must get this show for the simple fact that it may never be seen again. This was possibly the 'Gun Smoke' of our generation. Thankfully someone saw clear to revive the show, Hopefully they pick a better night, how about Tuesday?

This written by the same writers who do "Without a Trace." This is great stuff. Get Jericho and watch it with amazement. Lastly, there are scenes that are simply breath taking. There is occasionally a big screen sense to the show. When they are fighting off the enemy, when you are at a military base, when the satellites are working, all these and more give a sense larger than normal TV.

This is one of the few shows that I recommend people watch as opposed to enjoying and just talking about. Get Jericho.
on September 15, 2007
I did not start watching Jericho originally but found it via XBOX Live, after the first episode I was hooked. A great story about survival, conspiracy and the challenges of people forced to work together. This is a must see series and I can't wait for seasons 2 and seasons 3 to be on the air!
on October 7, 2007
You get 6 single sided dvds smartly packaged in plastic bookcase covers each one holding two discs. 5.1 surround and reg surround. Subtitled in english, spanish and portugese.

There's deleted scenes on each disc and 2 extras on the last disc. The Making of Jericho and What If which shows some higher ups saying how unprepared we all are if this nightmare scenario or something akin to it actually happened, which after the fiasco of Katrina should get us all thinking.

I had never seen this show on tv but took a chance after all the good reviews I had read and am glad I bought it.

It's a smartly written show with a good blend of action and relationships unfolding in Kansas during and after a Nuclear event.

These 22 episodes are well worth the money imo.
on July 4, 2007
This is a great show with an amazing story line and a fabulous cast. I never missed an episode and couldn't wait for the next one.
22 comments| 51 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on September 13, 2007
Love this show. The main plot sets the stage for a very exciting ride. Plenty of mystery, action, romance, and wit. The actors are great as are the storylines. And most of all, it's one of the few shows on television that actually takes its audience seriously. It's really a fun hour of t.v.
on August 13, 2007
Let me preface this review by saying that I watch little to no network T.V. There's just nothing on these days that I think is worth spending my time on ... except for Jericho!

My wife and I were HUGE fans from day one, mostly due to the amazing writing, outstanding acting, and the fabulous ensemble cast the producers assembled. Everyone seemed the perfect fit for their character and the storylines are compelling, engaging, and (be forwarned!) highly addictive!

I watched all of the season one episodes the night they aired (unheard of for me) and I've watched them all again in re-runs. The Season One DVD is already pre-ordered and I'm ready and rarin' for Season Two to begin.

I'm telling you ... the ratings proved that a good portion of America was missing out on this fantastic show, but trust me ... WATCH IT! You won't be sorry.

Besides, what the heck else are you going to watch now that The Sopranos has ended??
on July 8, 2007
I always thought that vcr tapes were my best friends. I'm the type who watches something, but only once. Re-runs weren't for me, life was too short, etc. So being able to just tape right over the previous show was a real inexpensive (in time and money) option for me and I loved it.
Let all those other people spend money on movies. I was a seen-it-once-done-with-it type gal.
Then came Jericho!! I did a double take, then a triple take and was I ever hooked! Now, not only do I not tape over ANY episodes, I'm watching all the first season episodes online, and I just pre-ordered the First Season on DVD.
Even now I find interesting details in those early episodes that basically escaped my radar the first time around. I find myself talking to the computer screen AND tv........"OOOOH! I remember that, but I didn't realize it meant that!"
I don't say this about much that's on TV these days, but this is exactly what television was meant to do all along. Draw us into the story and make us feel a part of it....make it OUR story. The trouble was (and is) that real quality writing is missing and so the chain is broken We sit and watch shows as spectators....Trust me, you won't with Jericho! This is you.......this is your story.......you'll find yourself in at least one, and likely more, of the characters. Guaranteed. You are going to genuinely care about these people and this tiny town trying to survive and still hold onto their humanity.
This, my friend, is quality writing, performed wonderfully.
You can thank me later! :-)))