5.0 out of 5 stars Great Color, watch out for bleeding though...
This is the best hair color in the "non-natural color" line that I have found. It is long lasting, even more so if combined with L'anza brand Trauma Treatment leave-in conditioner. The color is vibrant and "Plum" is more of a true purple, whereas "Purple" is more on the pink end, with "Violet" more on the blue end.

Be warned, it will stain EVERYTHING! For...
Published on March 12, 2008 by J. Guess

3.0 out of 5 stars Not Really Platinum...
Published on June 15, 2009 by aj_lehman

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Color, watch out for bleeding though..., March 12, 2008

Be warned, it will stain EVERYTHING! For the first week after application, be careful what you wear as it will stain the back of the neck of any shirt you wear and put a towel over your pillowcase or it will stain too. The good thing is, if it's white, bleach will take it right out. Also, use Easyoff Kaboom bathroom cleaner on your sink and shower, and you will never know that it was once purple/blue/red/green... To me it's worth it to have such an incredible color, I receive compliments everyday from complete strangers!

5.0 out of 5 stars Best LOW COST Alternative Dye on the Market!, January 10, 2013
I purchased 4 of these from this Amazon seller "BYPLE", I recommend them!

This seller has the cheapest rates in town for this product, believe me I know since I use it often.

I have tried many other brands and I stick with this one. Jerome Russell Punky Colour is super vibrant and long lasting! I have tried Special Effects before and it is long lasting and bright however, Jerome Russell does the same thing for half the cost! Plus I enjoy custom mixing my own pinks using a tad of blue or purple (for a cooler toned pink, I strongly dislike warm toned pink.) Flamingo Pink by Punky Color needs toning with a pat of blue or purple. The result is a bright shocking Magenta! Love it, if mixed right it blows Special Effects Atomic Pink out of the water. PLUS, this product smells like grape kool-aid soda :D

Anyhow, if you buy this you will get your moneys worth. It is super vibrant, in fact, is so vibrant that you can dilute it for applying if you have more porous hair (as a result of several bleachings which are necessary to attain platinum hair.)

Here is my diluting recipe and tips and tricks that work for me:

Tools:

1.) Get a value package of vinyl gloves. Never mind buying them by the set at the beauty supply per hair coloring, way too expensive in the long run. A lady ALWAYS needs gloves on hand. You'll thank yourself for it whenever the hair coloring fancy strikes!)

2.) Buy a packet of plastic spoons/forks from the dollar store, great for mixing and disposable.

3.) Get yourself some plastic Tint Mixing Bowls which you can reuse then store under the bathroom cabinet for future use.

Recipe:

80% Conditioner (Cheap one such as White Rain!) I use the Coconut scent as it makes your hair smell divine!
20% Jerome Russell Punky Colour (1 good teaspoon will do it.)

Mix well to blend it completely, scrape the bottom of the bowl and sides to ensure that it is all blended evenly.
Apply!

*** You can control the amount of hair dye ratio to suit your needs, such a lower amount for Pastel Hair, or a higher amount for brighter hair. I never put it on full strength because it wastes product as far as I am concerned and PLUS I do not want to be stuck with the same hair color for months.

Want to keep it bright and vibrant? Here is how:

DO NOT use harsh shampoos at ANY TIME or shampoo often. Get yourself some "Dry Shampoo" to control the oily roots only, it will freshen them and leave your hair smelling great after absorbing the oils.

Use a shampoo which is SULFATE-FREE only. The vegan section of the grocery store should have a reasonably priced one or you can opt for purchasing a more pricey salon product.

Don't like it? Here is how to remove:

I have very porous hair so it "grabs" color easily and sometimes it does not want to let go!

When I want it out the first steps that I take are using 'Head & Shoulders shampoo'. This stuff will really fade it quick within a few washes. You can't just massage it into your head and expect it to work though. You have to massage it well through your lengths by rubbing the lathered hair between your hands from top to bottom, one section at a time. Then you will see lots of dye rinse down the drain.

Once I have it faded I then mix about 8oz of hair bleach and combine it with several squirts of any shampoo, for those who don't know - this is called a "Soap Cap"

I apply this to my entire head (wet or dry) and massage quickly then let it sit for about 2 minutes or slightly longer. Usually before I even have a chance to finish getting all my hair covered with this mixture I can see the color just disappearing instantly! SO the same may be true for you and if it is WORK FAST to apply it. There is no need to keep bleach, even diluted bleach, on your hair for more time than it needs to be, specially if it is already damaged. Mine is damaged however these soap caps never hurt it :)

Follow with a nice conditioner! Not something cheap. I love Hayashi 911 Emergency Pak Re-constructor.
It cost's about 33 bucks for 33 ounces here on Amazon.

I Squeeze the excess water out of my hair with my hands and then apply this conditioner, clip my hair up and cover my head with a plastic cap (you can use saran wrap also! or even a plastic grocery bag) and leave it on for at least an hour. It is truly a moisture quench for parched hair! AND THE SMELL IS DIVINE!

***About using soap caps for removing alternative colors: Soap Caps work best on faded Pink, Yellow, Orange, Purple dyes. They are pretty much instantly wiped out.

Colors I have found which don't need to be faded first to be successfully stripped out quickly are:

Pink
Yellow

Colors which I have found are super stubborn to remove with either Head & Shoulders or Soap Caps are:

BLUE

Colors which I have found to need substantial fading to be removed easily:

Purple
Green

I love blue and purple but they are tenacious, especially blue. At least for my hair.

I hope this review might help out some newbies! Please remember that ALL hair is different and dyes and removal processes are highly subjective to each individual! The above tactics just happen to work great for my hair so I thought I'd share.

5.0 out of 5 stars Long-lasting, affordable, worth it!, January 19, 2008
This was a very awsome product. It lasted WAY longer than Manic Panic, and Punky hair colour is cheap :)
If you buy this product (pre-bleached or not), just a few tips, don't use conditioner or hot water, and leave in the color for at least an hour..
It's very intense and it comes with plenty of color. You can even mix the colors, and get great results, unlike other kinds of brands. I one time mixed bright yellow and blue and it made green!
Always go for J.Russell..

5.0 out of 5 stars Been using this brand for years, highly recommend it., April 29, 2014
I have been using this brand for years since I have discovered it during my days in beauty school. I currently use Flamingo Pink and Violet for my hair, but I have used Atlantic Blue, Lagoon Blue, Plum, Rose Red, Poppy Red, Fire, Purple, and Turquoise. All beautiful colors! Anyway, on to the pros and cons.

Pros:
-I find that Rose Red and Flamingo Pink last VERY long, like at least 3 months, and fade out beautifully.
-Smells Great.
-Conditions my hair.
-Fun colors.

Cons:
-The lighter colors like Lagoon Blue didn't really last long for me, but it came out beautiful at first.
-The color might come out darker than what you expect depending on the level you bleach your hair to.
-If you do not rinse, rinse, rinse, til the water runs clear you will end up staining your pillow case. (I recommend you don't shampoo after application.)
-It does stain your tub a little bit, but its easy to clean up with bleach or magic erasers. (I usually leave it processing in my hair for about 2 hours, so it kinda dries up a little bit on my hair, I find when I do that, it stains the tub a lot less.)
-Punky Purple for some reason looks more pink than purple to me.

Of all the brands of semi-permanent I have tried out there, I find this one works the best for me. It lasts the longest and fades out beautifully. I usually retouch my hair every 2 to 3 months and this is my go to brand. When I select colors, I usually opt for darker colors because I know that fading with semi-permanents are inevitable. So my hair starts off very dark and rich in color and within a couple weeks will fade to the color I desired in the first place and it then it stops fading and bleeding in my tub.

Anyway, I highly recommend trying this brand for yourself! It's good stuff!

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic, May 1, 2012
Amazon Customer (Fair Oaks, CA, US) - See all my reviews
(From the reviewer's college-student daughter): I put this in my hair a week ago, and it's just the most fantastic color, better even than what I got at the professional salon. It was a really deep blue right after I put it in (left it in for about two hours), but after a couple washes it's a very nice deep blueish-teal color. I wash my hair once every three days (I use dry shampoo in between washes, specifically "Stila hair refresher"), but I can see myself needing to retouch the color every 2-3 weeks (blue comes out really fast, after all, no matter what brand of dye!).

Note: in order for this to wash out to a true turquoise color, your hair literally needs to be bleached white. My hair was bleached to a light yellow, so as this washes out it will become more dull and green. I can see that if one's hair is as close to white as possible, then less reapplications of dye would be needed (in order to not have green - yuck!). For me it's a little expensive, but overall worth the price compared to all the other dye products I've read about. I will continue to buy this brand and dye my hair crazy colors... until I have to get a job this summer, anyways.

Beware: having blue hair will stain everything blue, ALL THE TIME! If you're not up for that kind of a pain-in-the-butt, then reconsider dying your hair. Plan for darker-shaded clothing and covering pillows and couches with towels you don't care about, and buying a ton of Comet cleaner with bleach for the shower. A color sealant will help a bit with the staining, but not stop it completely. As for staining on the skin (back of neck, hands, etc) use a soap with exfoliating beads/crystals or something, since that stuff isn't coming off with just regular soap and water.

If you're willing to deal with all this, then you will have awesome teal blue hair and be the coolest kid/adult/grandma on the block. People will stare at you, but that's just because they're jealous ;) Or right-wing tight-ass conservative Bible-thumpers, but who ever cares what they think?

5.0 out of 5 stars JEROME RUSSELL PUNKY COLOUR IS THE BEST, December 12, 2012
Jerome Russell Punky Colour Cream VioletJerome Russell Punky Colour Cream Lagoon BlueJerome Russell Punky Colour Cream Atlantic BlueI have been using this product for about 5 years now and I absolutely love it! First I use Ultra blue blonde to bleach my hair and then the next day I do the colour. The color will bleed so if you combine them like me remember as you wash your hair, darker colors will bleed over lighter ones so I always put the dark at bottom of hair and progress to lighter above and use colors that compliment each other if they bleed together. Also some bleeds out for the first several washings and will stain towels clothes etc when your hair is wet. I find the darker colors last longer and only need refreshing a couple times a year. Happy coloring people, have fun, get creative...

4.0 out of 5 stars messy but great- atlantic blue and voilet, July 30, 2013
I use atlantic blue and voilet to due my hair. I used to use turquoise. The turquoise fades to green on my strawberry blonde hair. The atlantic blue looks dark. Now after I bleached it, they look totally different. These dyes will bleed every time you take a shower. No matter how long you have had it dyed for, if it's wet, it will get on your shirt. Just blow dry your hair and it won't get on anything. After about a week and a half, it stops getting all over the towel when you dry your hair. Stains from this dye are almost impossible to get out. Well at least with spray and wash.
Atlantic blue- you might need to touch this up alot! I dye it and after a couple days I already see patches of my bleach showing thru. This one fades faster than the voilet. Just go over it a couple days after the first dye and you should be fine for awhile. It shows up lighter than expected on top of bleach, so multiple touch ups are needed.
Violet- oh by golly this is the best hair dye ever! A little goes a long way too! I can get a small blob on my finger and it will cover so much! I'm not sure if that's because it's so dark or if this particular color just works well. But when I put the violet on top of my bleach, it's like my hair just sucks it right up. The purple lasts forever!!! I didnt have to touch up for 2 months. This violet is seriously by far the best purple ever! And it's the dark purple you expect when you hear the word purple. The actual purple color in this brand shows up with a slight pinkish tint. So violet all the way!
I have found that leaving the dye set for 2 hours really makes it pop and last longer. Rinse out with cold water, then warm water, then shampoo.
The 4 star is just because it is so incredibly messy. There's no way around the mess with this one.

5.0 out of 5 stars Beautiful, rich shade for a pop of color, June 5, 2012
I had been debating dying the ends of my hair a bright color for over a year, but couldn't get up the courage to do it (FYI - I'm long since out of high school and worried I'd look ridiculous at my age). After reading a bunch of reviews, I went with this dye, thinking if it was terrible, I could always cut the ends off. To my surprise, I loved it even more than I thought! I put the color on right over my dyed-medium auburn hair (no bleach first) several inches up from the bottom, but left it on for about an hour (the package recommends 15-30 minutes) to get better saturation. The color turned out rich and gorgeous, far from the angsty teenager I was afraid I might look like. I was concerned about how quickly it would wash out, but it faded subtly and turned a nice shade of almost green-blue over the next couple weeks. I had to do my all-over color again, so it striped out most of the blue, after which I re-colored the tips. Perhaps because the second time I was dying over recently colored hair, but I found the color kept washing out (LOADS of blue in the shower & stained tiles!) much more than the first time around. In addition to the great color and staying power, I was incredibly impressed with the smell (like child's grape cough medicine) and how well it left the condition of my hair - if anything, I think my split ends are in even better shape! All in all, I'm very happy with this product. It's been so much fun, I may try some other colors out at some point. And at this price - why not?!

3.0 out of 5 stars Not Really Platinum..., June 15, 2009
I had bleached my hair and was going for the whitest shade of platinum I could achieve. All the reviews I'd read online about this product indicated it would take out that "brassy" tone in bleached blondes and give me that shiny, white blonde I wanted. Didn't happen... instead I got an interesting shade of lavender, which is great if that was what I wanted... yes, I admit it removed the brassiness; but it replaced the gold color with translucent purple! It didn't take long to make my hair purple, either, as I left the product on for less than 5 minutes. It was an interesting look, and fortunately, it does wash out over time. So, bottom line, not quite a platinum toner, but great for black lights and clubbing!! lol!!

5.0 out of 5 stars BEST COLOR EVER!, January 23, 2009
I've been dying my hair different colors for 6 years or so and this is by far my favorite color. Punky Colours stays in the longest out of any other brand of semi permanent hair dye I've used. It stays in for about a month but even then, it fades to a nice light purple. As long as you bleach your hair to almost white you shouldn't see any blue.

And yes, like the other person said, purple turns a pink/purple, and violet turns a blue/purple, plum is just purple.
So if you're going for purple this is the best choice.