5.0 out of 5 stars Great Color, watch out for bleeding though...
This is the best hair color in the "non-natural color" line that I have found. It is long lasting, even more so if combined with L'anza brand Trauma Treatment leave-in conditioner. The color is vibrant and "Plum" is more of a true purple, whereas "Purple" is more on the pink end, with "Violet" more on the blue end.

Be warned, it will stain EVERYTHING! For...
Published on March 12, 2008 by J. Guess

3.0 out of 5 stars Not Really Platinum...
Published on June 15, 2009 by aj_lehman

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Color, watch out for bleeding though..., March 12, 2008

Be warned, it will stain EVERYTHING! For the first week after application, be careful what you wear as it will stain the back of the neck of any shirt you wear and put a towel over your pillowcase or it will stain too. The good thing is, if it's white, bleach will take it right out. Also, use Easyoff Kaboom bathroom cleaner on your sink and shower, and you will never know that it was once purple/blue/red/green... To me it's worth it to have such an incredible color, I receive compliments everyday from complete strangers!

5.0 out of 5 stars Best LOW COST Alternative Dye on the Market!, January 10, 2013
I purchased 4 of these from this Amazon seller "BYPLE", I recommend them!

This seller has the cheapest rates in town for this product, believe me I know since I use it often.

I have tried many other brands and I stick with this one. Jerome Russell Punky Colour is super vibrant and long lasting! I have tried Special Effects before and it is long lasting and bright however, Jerome Russell does the same thing for half the cost! Plus I enjoy custom mixing my own pinks using a tad of blue or purple (for a cooler toned pink, I strongly dislike warm toned pink.) Flamingo Pink by Punky Color needs toning with a pat of blue or purple. The result is a bright shocking Magenta! Love it, if mixed right it blows Special Effects Atomic Pink out of the water. PLUS, this product smells like grape kool-aid soda :D

Anyhow, if you buy this you will get your moneys worth. It is super vibrant, in fact, is so vibrant that you can dilute it for applying if you have more porous hair (as a result of several bleachings which are necessary to attain platinum hair.)

Here is my diluting recipe and tips and tricks that work for me:

Tools:

1.) Get a value package of vinyl gloves. Never mind buying them by the set at the beauty supply per hair coloring, way too expensive in the long run. A lady ALWAYS needs gloves on hand. You'll thank yourself for it whenever the hair coloring fancy strikes!)

2.) Buy a packet of plastic spoons/forks from the dollar store, great for mixing and disposable.

3.) Get yourself some plastic Tint Mixing Bowls which you can reuse then store under the bathroom cabinet for future use.

Recipe:

80% Conditioner (Cheap one such as White Rain!) I use the Coconut scent as it makes your hair smell divine!
20% Jerome Russell Punky Colour (1 good teaspoon will do it.)

Mix well to blend it completely, scrape the bottom of the bowl and sides to ensure that it is all blended evenly.
Apply!

*** You can control the amount of hair dye ratio to suit your needs, such a lower amount for Pastel Hair, or a higher amount for brighter hair. I never put it on full strength because it wastes product as far as I am concerned and PLUS I do not want to be stuck with the same hair color for months.

Want to keep it bright and vibrant? Here is how:

DO NOT use harsh shampoos at ANY TIME or shampoo often. Get yourself some "Dry Shampoo" to control the oily roots only, it will freshen them and leave your hair smelling great after absorbing the oils.

Use a shampoo which is SULFATE-FREE only. The vegan section of the grocery store should have a reasonably priced one or you can opt for purchasing a more pricey salon product.

Don't like it? Here is how to remove:

I have very porous hair so it "grabs" color easily and sometimes it does not want to let go!

When I want it out the first steps that I take are using 'Head & Shoulders shampoo'. This stuff will really fade it quick within a few washes. You can't just massage it into your head and expect it to work though. You have to massage it well through your lengths by rubbing the lathered hair between your hands from top to bottom, one section at a time. Then you will see lots of dye rinse down the drain.

Once I have it faded I then mix about 8oz of hair bleach and combine it with several squirts of any shampoo, for those who don't know - this is called a "Soap Cap"

I apply this to my entire head (wet or dry) and massage quickly then let it sit for about 2 minutes or slightly longer. Usually before I even have a chance to finish getting all my hair covered with this mixture I can see the color just disappearing instantly! SO the same may be true for you and if it is WORK FAST to apply it. There is no need to keep bleach, even diluted bleach, on your hair for more time than it needs to be, specially if it is already damaged. Mine is damaged however these soap caps never hurt it :)

Follow with a nice conditioner! Not something cheap. I love Hayashi 911 Emergency Pak Re-constructor.
It cost's about 33 bucks for 33 ounces here on Amazon.

I Squeeze the excess water out of my hair with my hands and then apply this conditioner, clip my hair up and cover my head with a plastic cap (you can use saran wrap also! or even a plastic grocery bag) and leave it on for at least an hour. It is truly a moisture quench for parched hair! AND THE SMELL IS DIVINE!

***About using soap caps for removing alternative colors: Soap Caps work best on faded Pink, Yellow, Orange, Purple dyes. They are pretty much instantly wiped out.

Colors I have found which don't need to be faded first to be successfully stripped out quickly are:

Pink
Yellow

Colors which I have found are super stubborn to remove with either Head & Shoulders or Soap Caps are:

BLUE

Colors which I have found to need substantial fading to be removed easily:

Purple
Green

I love blue and purple but they are tenacious, especially blue. At least for my hair.

I hope this review might help out some newbies! Please remember that ALL hair is different and dyes and removal processes are highly subjective to each individual! The above tactics just happen to work great for my hair so I thought I'd share.

5.0 out of 5 stars Long-lasting, affordable, worth it!, January 19, 2008
This was a very awsome product. It lasted WAY longer than Manic Panic, and Punky hair colour is cheap :)
If you buy this product (pre-bleached or not), just a few tips, don't use conditioner or hot water, and leave in the color for at least an hour..
It's very intense and it comes with plenty of color. You can even mix the colors, and get great results, unlike other kinds of brands. I one time mixed bright yellow and blue and it made green!
Always go for J.Russell..

3.0 out of 5 stars Not Really Platinum..., June 15, 2009
I had bleached my hair and was going for the whitest shade of platinum I could achieve. All the reviews I'd read online about this product indicated it would take out that "brassy" tone in bleached blondes and give me that shiny, white blonde I wanted. Didn't happen... instead I got an interesting shade of lavender, which is great if that was what I wanted... yes, I admit it removed the brassiness; but it replaced the gold color with translucent purple! It didn't take long to make my hair purple, either, as I left the product on for less than 5 minutes. It was an interesting look, and fortunately, it does wash out over time. So, bottom line, not quite a platinum toner, but great for black lights and clubbing!! lol!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Made my post Fiera platimun hair REALLY platinum!, October 11, 2013
L. Hyde (Seattle, WA) - See all my reviews
For those of you who do not know, platinum means white/silver blonde, almost a lavender to grey color under certain lights; not just bleached "Marylin Monroe" blonde. Think Jay from the old America's Next Top Model. I just did my hair about a half hour ago and for me, this delivers! After bleaching my 1/4th of an inch normally reddish brown hair to blonde with L'Oreal Paris Feria Absolute Platinums Hair Color, Very Platinum for 45 mins (which is a whole other process, thank the gods I have buzzed hair cause that L'Oreal stuff is THICK!), my nearly shaved head was bright yellow blonde. I then rinsed, dried, and applied JR toner and left it on for 20 minutes. The smell of the dye is pleasant, the amount is plentiful, and the result was a perfect translucent light lavender almost silver hue which I can tell will fade beautifully over the next few days. I am very pleased with the results (Amber Rose, eat your heart out!) and will use again. I used Manic Panic for this same look and length hair back in 95 and it didn't work as well to my recollection. 5 stars for the at home colourist!

5.0 out of 5 stars Even my hairdresser couldn't believe how long it stayed in!, March 4, 2009
Great great product. If you properly lift your hair before applying it lasts!!! Seriously, I only have to re-process every 2-3 months and that's only because of roots and a little lightening of the color at the ends. Its still a very luminous turquoise color throughout my hair.

5.0 out of 5 stars Easily the best dye I've ever bought, January 20, 2011
I've been dying my hair turquoise for about six months now, and this is the best product I've ever used.
Previously, I used Manic Panic dye in Atomic Turquoise, which is not a product I would recommend.
This product, however, is great!
I bought it roughly a month ago, and used it the day I got it. Application was very easy and relatively mess-free. It smelled very nice (I think it smells like grape soda) and felt good on my hair.
The jar says to leave it in for half an hour, but I would suggest longer. It won't hurt your hair if left in for more time.
A lot of it comes out when washing hair, and mine continued to come out for several washes without losing any of the color.
The one problem I had with it was it does stain skin very well, and it takes a while to get it off.
Other than that, no complaints. I'd recommend this to a friend.

4.0 out of 5 stars removes yellow tone, June 30, 2012
I have long gray hair and this product helps remove yellowing. My hair now looks a beatiful silvery gray. which now, I get alot of compliments on my hair. I would definitely purchase again

5.0 out of 5 stars Best blue you'll ever get, February 20, 2012
I had my hair entirely purple and changed to turquoise after a bunch of people at work copied the purple. This colour lasts forever! Two months after initially dying it, I still had colour in and that was with me actually trying to get rid of it. Plus, when it fades, it's not yellow or orange like most colours. It turns greenish then white. The initial colour is a very beautiful blue colour. The best thing is that this doesn't cost that much either! I actually recommend this brand to everyone. Especially anyone wanting a really great turquoise or blue.

5.0 out of 5 stars BEST COLOR EVER!, January 23, 2009
I've been dying my hair different colors for 6 years or so and this is by far my favorite color. Punky Colours stays in the longest out of any other brand of semi permanent hair dye I've used. It stays in for about a month but even then, it fades to a nice light purple. As long as you bleach your hair to almost white you shouldn't see any blue.

And yes, like the other person said, purple turns a pink/purple, and violet turns a blue/purple, plum is just purple.
So if you're going for purple this is the best choice.

Rate and Discover Movies