Truck Month Textbook Trade In Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Mudcrutch Father's Day Gift Guide 2016 Fire TV Stick Get Ready for Summer and Save 15% The Baby Store Find the Best Purina Pro Plan for Your Pet Amazon Cash Back Offer DrThorne DrThorne DrThorne  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis UniOrlando Shop Now Learn more

Format: DVD|Change

on September 29, 2005
I bought this DVD for two reasons:1.I was at the show, and 2.It's the only, as of currently, available JGB on DVD. Having been at this show and remembering the general feel in the air after recently losing Brent, Jerry and the JGB stepped up and played in leiu of the cancelled Dead shows and inspired us all to carry on! This DVD is amazing and, as others have written, is a very down-home and heartfelt performance. Buy this DVD and watch it over and over!!
on October 13, 2005
Dead fans consider Jerry Garcia to be the de facto "leader of the band." The perceptions are unshakeable, even though Garcia shared singing and songwriting duties over the band's storied career with Bob Weir, Pig Pen, Phil Lesh, and Brent Mydland.

Enter the Jerry Garcia Band, an "in between tours" project for Garcia that enabled the singer and guitarist to abandon the weight of being the ringleader of rock's most prolific touring carnival.

A-list musicians like Melvin Seals (organ and piano), John Kahn (bass), and Jackie LaBranch and Gloria Jones (vocals) joined Garcia to barnstorm the U.S. with a repertoire that featured originals and covers culled from Motown, Stax/Volt, the Beatles, reggae pioneers, Dylan, and blues masters.

While the Dead filled football stadiums with tens of thousands, the Garcia Band played to smaller but no less enthusiatic crowds in hockey arenas. These shows seemed to relax and energize Garcia, and "Live at Shoreline" showcases the JGB at the top of its game.

First set highlights include an extended jam of Lennon's "Dear Prudence" and a slinky, bump and grind of Peter Tosh's "Stop That Train." The light show bathes the band in muted reds and oranges, replete with closeups of Garcia's fingers nimbly taming his custom Irwin axe. A rolliciking "Deal" closes the set with an authority that rivals any version played by the Dead.

Set two is no slouch either. "Think" burns with Memphis soul and Gospel-blues fervor courtesy of LaBranch and Jones. "Lucky Old Sun," a favorite of Ray Charles, is a perfect ballad for an emotive Garcia, punctuated by a B-3 break by Seals that threatens to cave the roof. "Tangled Up in Blue" is read faithfully by Garcia with guitar heroics that enhance Dylan's epic vision.

Even though about fifteen thousand witnessed this punchy show, this DVD seems like an intimate club show. Enjoy the JGB in your living room for the first, and hopefully not the last, time.
on January 20, 2006
This is in the ranks of the top 5 DVD releases starring Jerry. The show was obviously not recorded with a high profile release in mind, but there are more angle shots and the 'feeling of a concert' than previous reviews suggest. In fact, while I type this I see a bunch of bobbing heads and full stage setup on a shot from the soundboard. Great shots of Jerry. Kahn is a bit shadowed but there are still nice shots of him on each tune. The band just doesn't have a setup like, say, The Cure, which is contrived to be a show. This takes nothing from the DVD. The pictures are crisp, the sound is ALIVE, and Jerry is smiling the whole way through. What else can you ask for? The show is similiar to the self titled live CD that came out in the 90s that we've all listened to a billion times.

On a personal note, I've had this DVD for over a week now and still wake up and think of jamming that Dear Prudence. It has been years since I've done that, and I feel like I can truly rejoice in Jerry's performance rather than place a somber (or an overly historic) tone on it. His smile is just too big, and the confidence from the stage is enormous!!

Certainly the best release by the Jerry Estate to date, and the price is right.
on August 15, 2005
When I was a young Deadhead in training, I was told that going to see the Dead was like going on a trip to Mecca, a spiritual journey, a vision-quest. But seeing a JerryBand Show was like coming home to church. Because this is the only JerryBand (Jerry Garcia Band) show available on video, it is worthy no matter what. Thankfully, the performance itself more than justifies this release. Jerry seems to lead the band into jams (extended solos) longer than usual with this band, probably because the show was originally intended to be a Dead show. The whole band is very tight (something this band was known for in comparison to the Dead) and Jerry's vocals are in top form. There was no highlight for me...just a great time from beginning to end!

Set List:

9. Think
10. And It Stoned Me
11. Waiting For a Miracle
12. Don't Let Go
13. That Lucky Old Sun (Just Rolls Around Heaven All Day)
14. Tangled Up In Blue

SPECIAL FEATURES
* 5.1 Surround Sound
* Interviews - Blair Jackson talks with Robert Hunter and band members
* Songwriter minidocumentary/photo galleries
Region I encoded, NTSC
on August 17, 2005
$13.99 to see JGB in all their glory while surrounded by 5.1 in the comfort of your home seems too good to be true. The show is amazing, as they all where, Jerry and Melvin being particularly "on". A friend stopped by and asked me how much I paid for the DVD, my response was does it matter? Those of you who were lucky enough to have seen this show now have a great memento, those of you who did not now can, and for less then the price of the ticket! My only wish is that DVD had been produced with a "visible lyrics" option... sure I know all the words, but reading them along with the show has always brought new incite for me... kick back and fire up the vaporizer, this one is a must have!
on February 20, 2015
Sound & Video subpar, but there are so few videos to purchase, we take what we can.
The absurdity of not releasing videos is just cruelty and stupidity from a money making business, lacking in the skills of money making.
on September 8, 2005
Seven stars. I have a large number of concert dvds in my collection, and it is a rare thing when video can capture the magic of the performance. As a connoisseur of the live performance, this is one of those rare moments.

Jerry Garcia had many facets to his personality. He could take you to wondrous places....to the jazzy outskirts of the universe and back, down home to Appalachia, or to "church". It's that spiritual side that is revealed here...pure soul.

Void of technical disturbances and well balanced picture and sound allows you to get lost in the performance.
on October 2, 2014
I waited way too long before I ever played this for the first time. When I did finally watch it, the video was all messed up throughout pretty much the entire recording. There were only a few tracks that played correctly. But my own fault because I should have played it when I got it & checked it out. But I saved it for 3 months until my birthday to watch & by tht time I didn't feel it would be reasonable to ask for a return. But for the sake of keeping the community informed, the recording I was sent was a mostly unplayable bad recording.
on June 8, 2007
I first saw the Dead in '69 at the Fillmore West and I was at the last two shows. I think Jerry was the greatest guitarist I have ever heard, not necessarily technique or speed, but the emotion in every note. The '89-'90 version of the Jerry Garcia Band was my favorite. It's nice to see him, them, again and the video of this DVD is excellent. The playing is not as inspired as the CD from the same time period, but still very enjoyable. The sound is terrible. The mix is awful. I rate it three stars because it's Jerry, and as a memory it's nice, but under any other circumstances, the sound is so bad it's one star.
on July 18, 2013
As much as I loved the Dead/Garcia shows this performance seems flat overall. I think I paid 10 bucks or so for this 3-4 years ago. This was not the Legion of Mary that sizzled(most nights!) NYC's The Bottom Line or thr Nicky Hopkins/Garcia band that rocked the Capitol theater in Passaic. A great theater torn down like so many others by the illuminist culture destroyers. Anyone else out there spend a night in jail when the Passaic police busted the crowd between the early & late shows one teeming hot summer night? My crime was turning the corner towards the theater with a sip of Bud left in a bottle purchased at the bar around the corner. I remember driving to the show and seeing on every corner packs of the locals imbibing, relaxed & unmolested.