Automotive Deals HPCC Shop Women's Clothing Learn more Discover it $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Sun Care Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer showtimemulti showtimemulti showtimemulti  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Water Sports

Format: Paperback|Change

on February 28, 2009
There's A Reason Why These Guys Are Famous and, in this book, you will find out why! *vbs*

Let's start with the particulars: The book is artistically illustrated in a kind of cartoon style... fun, fun, fun.

It measures 8" wide x 7" high; it's paperback; and it's 127-pages long with a Table of Contents in front, and an Index in the back.

The first 11-pages are the historical biography of Ben & Jerry's beginnings. A fun read, *s*

Then, 8-pages of Ice-Cream Theory: The Sweet-Cream Base; a Butterfat Chart; Sweeteners; Eggs; The Hidden Ingredient (Air); Ice Crystals; Soft or Hard Ice-Cream; Flavourings; Salt; Liqueur; Fruit; How to make a Pint-Sized Batch; and, Cookies & Candy.

Please note: None of this reads like a text book, more like a comic book, *lol*

Next come the Recipes: Beginning with the three (3) Sweet Cream Bases; then--->

Vanilla Malt Chip
Vanilla M & M's
Vanilla Oreo
Vanilla Superfudge Brownie

SORBETS: (Icy Slush or Creamy Slush)
Apricot
Beer
Kiwi
Lemon Daiquiri
Mimosa Ice
Raspberry
Strawberry

BAKERY: (All those wondrous goodies they make and put in their Ice-cream)
Blonde Brownies

Minty Morsel
The Jerry Berry
Vermonster
Vermont Sweet Tooth

And now, a word about what Ice-cream actually is. Almost all Ice-cream Bases are made from Custard ingredients--> Eggs, Milk or Cream, Sugar, Vanilla, (I always add a pinch of Salt too, and really don't want to get into a debate about whether one should or shouldn't add Salt. I just do, and that's that, *lol*).

When Heat is applied to this Custard Base, as through an oven, (in a Bain-Marie--> a water bath), you get what we all know as Custard, Flan, or Crème Brulee (Custard with the toasted sugar on top). If you apply Freezing Cold to the Custard Base, as with an Ice-cream maker, you get Ice-cream.

Which brings us to the next word about Ben & Jerry's Sweet Cream Base #1. They use 2 Eggs, beaten, but they do not cook them; they just beat them with the Sugar and Cold Cream/Milk mixture, and then put in the fridge to chill until ready for the Ice-cream Maker.

As for me, this is unacceptable, so, I cook these ingredients as a Custard like most all-other Ice-cream recipes do. It's not that I wouldn't trust eating Ben & Jerry's Ice-Cream from the store, for I do eat it, and LOVE IT! But, they are a Commercial Ice-cream Enterprise. Their freezers, refrigerators, and general coldness of their factory preparation, instills every confidence in me that the Ice-cream they sell is A-Okay.

Alas, at home, I'm not so sure. And, since I have been a victim of Salmonella-poisoning, I just won't take chances. So, if you're worried about this too, it's really no problem.

Here's the Method-->

Beat your Eggs for a couple of minutes. Then, beat in the Sugar, by thirds, until thick and creamy.

Heat 1/2 of the Milk/Cream called-for in a saucepan on the stove to almost boiling/scalding. Then, with your beater beating the Egg mixture again, add the HOT Milk/Cream to the Eggs. This is called 'Tempering the Eggs'--> in essence, cooking them while you're beating them with the HOT Milk/Cream.

(If you don't 'Temper the Eggs' first, but just add them to the HOT Milk/Cream on the stove, you will have scrambled Eggs in your Custard Base... yuk).

Pour the HOT Milk/Cream/Egg mixture back into the saucepan, and put it back on the stove. Keep cooking it on LOW til thickened up a bit, whisking all the time. DO NOT WALK AWAY FROM THIS PROCEDURE, it goes pretty fast at this point. Keep your eye on it, and when you see the mixture beginning to come to a boil, take it off the heat, and whisk, whisk, whisk. Put it back on the stove and do it all again. I always do this a total of three (3) times. (I want those Eggs cooked! *lol*). All this only takes seconds to accomplish, certainly not more than a minute.

Take the saucepan off the stove, whisk in the Vanilla or whatever flavouring you're using, and then pour the Custard into, preferably, a glass bowl that has a lid to it--> like a Pyrex storage bowl.

Whisk in the other 1/2 of the COLD Milk/Cream called-for in your recipe. This should cool down the Custard enough to cover and place in the fridge. If not, you can let it set on the counter for a few minutes, just long enough to let the major heat of the Custard dissipate before putting in the fridge.

If you're really in a hurry, you can always make an Ice-Bath. Take a bowl that is twice as large as the bowl your Custard is in. Put a whole bunch of ice cubes in it, and add some cold water from the tap, (ice water is colder than ice and will cool down your Custard right quick).

Set the Custard bowl in the larger bowl, (if done right, the Custard bowl will be sitting somewhat on top of the ice, with the sides of the bowl submerged about halfway-up in ice-water. Be sure to keep a hold of the Custard bowl tho--> you don't want it sinking into the larger bowl and getting ice water in your Custard). Keep whisking the Custard to help dissipate the heat. It will cool very quickly in an Ice-Bath. Put the lid on, and place in the fridge til you're ready to make Ice-cream.

Of course, to the above cooled-down Custard, (usually before putting in the fridge), you'll be adding the various flavours, mashed fruits, chocolate, etc. that is called-for in your recipe.

Enjoy this wonderful book chock-full of recipes and ideas. For our family, 'Ben & Jerry's Ice Cream Book' has proved to be just the BEST!

NB: The Ice-cream recipes in this book make a generous One (1) Quart; and, by generous, I mean about a Quart-and-a-half! But that's Ben & Jerry for ya--> never skimping on the good stuff, *lol*
0Comment| 245 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
VINE VOICEon September 6, 2000
This is a terrific book, and it solved my perpetual problem of what to give people I know well enough to go to their wedding but not well enough to drop $800 on a wedding present. The recipes in this book make great ice cream. Toss in a decent ice cream maker, and you have a present that no one else will think of, that the receipients will appreciate, and one that they will use over time. (For what it's worth, I usually give the Donvier hand-turned machine because it makes dense, smooth ice cream that reminds me of gelato.)
Anyway, about the book and what makes it so great: Ben and Jerry tell you how to make their most popular ice creams, and a bunch that I never saw before. They provide multiple recipes for chocolate ice cream, and write clearly about how they are different. A friend of mine once made all the choclate ice creams and had a tasting party. It was interesting to see how different they really were. (And this book taught me the secret to great chocolate ice cream taste: a pinch of salt--really!)
If you are worried about using eggs, you will want to use a pasteurized egg product in place of the raw eggs. Other than that, this is a terrific book. Lots of good ideas, excellent recipes, and enough discussion about how to create new flavours to encourage even the most reluctant recipe-inventor to go hog wild.
I wish there were a sequel.
1111 comments| 475 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
VINE VOICEon October 22, 2005
Like many other people, I love Ben & Jerry's ice cream. Unfortunately, the premium taste also comes with a premium price, so many years ago my husband gifted me with this book.

It's fun to read about how it all began (two chubby little boys who liked eating more than gym- and who can blame them?) and how they fought off the evil Pilsbury Dough Boy to take a stand in the giant world of commercially delivered ice cream. But really, I'm here for the recipes. Sadly, they had some flaws.

While I realize this was written over ten years ago, I think it's almost inexcusable that nowhere do the authors mention cooking the eggs before you use them. Even if you aren't concerned with salmonella (and if you're using egg yolks, you should be), the difference between a raw and cooked egg base is immense- no matter how much chocolate you throw at it, raw eggs just aren't going to be as delicious. Reams of dessert recipes later, I've figured out how to do it (beat the eggs and sugar, scald the milk, slowly add to egg mixture then carefully cook over low heat until you have something resembling a custard sauce NOT scrambled eggs; chill, then add your cream- THEN use the ice cream maker). Was that so hard?

Also, while I appreciate that they are ice cream makers and not bakers, the recipes they give for their ice cream cakes are off as far as amounts given. For instance, for their brownie ice cream cake, they advise baking their Superfudge brownies in two six inch cake pans and then covering the confection with 1 quart of beaten whipping cream. Having made this recipe several times, I can say without any doubt that their proportions are all wrong- you'll end up with enough left over batter for more than a few cupcakes and possibly another layer. And having doubled this recipe and successfully frosted it with the whippings of two cups of cream, either they whipped their cream to butter or they miscalculated (and didn't test) this recipe.

Still, once you have the technique down (Nigella Lawson's books are good for that), the ingredients and amounts they list work pretty well (again, if you're not baking). I'll never part with this, but I wouldn't give this to anyone just starting out on their homemade ice cream adventure.
3333 comments| 536 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on December 1, 1998
Who doesn't like Ben and Jerry's premium commercial Ice-cream? The recipes in this book are for their familiar flavors and more. All ingredients are fresh and pure. There is plenty of unusual detail in the book. For example, who else bothers to mention that it takes some fresh lemon juice to restore a tanginess to the all too sweet flavor of over-ripened bananas in banana ice-cream?
Unfortunately, Ben and Jerry are shy about providing techniques for refining the texture of the homemade version. But then why should they know them? They make ice-cream with commercial coolers. For refined techniques specific to homemade ice-cream, you will need to look elsewhere, like Liddle and Weir's "Frozen Desserts".
0Comment| 176 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on July 24, 2015
We have no issue with the content of the book, but we received a misprint. Our copy goes from page 24 to page 50. Since that includes all of the actual ice cream bases and the headline 11 recipes we're a bit miffed. Whole book is pretty useless as it is.
review image review image
on August 25, 2000
This is a great ice cream book, full of simple no cook - no wait recipes with ample illustrations to keep your mind alert. The author's sense of humor makes it a very enjoyable read, but the recepes themselves are the stars. They share such favorites as Cherry Garcia, Mocha, Health Bar Crunch, Orange Cream, Kiwi Sorbet, Cantaloupe and Oreo Vanilla.
My only problem with this book is because it was written awhile ago, they are still using raw eggs in their most popular/recommended ice cream base. Substitute with a pasterized egg product (Egg Beaters/Better N Eggs) if you aren't sure of the freshness/safeness of your eggs.
on August 23, 2003
I have several books for making ice cream and I think the recipes in this one are the best. I wish they would write a new book as Ben & Jerry have come up with a lot of new flavors since 1987 that aren't in the book. I wouldn't normally make or buy coconut ice cream, but my daughter asked for it and it was delicious! I added almonds that I toasted myself (saute on a stove in a little butter with salt-drain on a paper towel) and it was even better! You don't need a bigger than a quart ice cream maker--just save the leftover "batter" in the refrigerator and make another batch later. The recipes do make much more than the book states.
VINE VOICEon April 12, 2007
I have had and used this book for about 8 years now. I actually bought it from a Ben & Jerry's store when I lived in Vermont.

I have made some great ice cream since then and used just about every recipe in the book. In addition to ice cream recipes, they also include recipes for sorbet and other non-dairy desserts, as well as recipes for brownies and other "add-ins" for your ice cream. And the recipes are GOOD!

Just a couple notes to those of you who are expecting to not have to buy B&J again once you get this book. There's a lot more to making ice cream than just the ingredients, which are very simple - I can tell you right now it's cream, milk, sugar and if you want, eggs. That's it -- that's a "base" for whatever you want to add, like vanilla, chocolate, M&Ms, cookie dough, whatever. But B&J has really perfected the art of *making* the ice cream - putting in the proper amount of air, freezing it in the proper amount of time to reduce the ice crystal size, etc. I have found it very difficult to do this at home with normal ice cream making equipment. I used to have a regular ice/salt freezer that turns as you add ice and salt around the bucket to make it cold. Now I have one of those bowls for my Kitchenaid stand mixer that you pre-freeze in the freezer. It works fine - but here's a tip: After you make your ice cream mix, put it in the freezer for about 1/2 hour to make it as cold as possible (without turning to ice) before you put it in your maker. The faster the ice cream freezes, the creamier it is. Another thing, if you want more "volume" (less dense) ice cream, whip some air into it before you put it in the maker. Some commercial ice creams have as much as 50% air! Gee, no wonder when it melts there's only 1/2 of what I thought I had! ;-)

Just one issue I have had with the book is that it does not include a recipe for a custard base, which is basically the milk/egg/sugar mixture cooked until it's thickened, then cooled and churned in the maker. Maybe they don't sell this "frozen custard" and that's why they didn't include it -- but I really like the texture of this type of ice cream better.
on July 14, 2002
I have bought several ice cream books, but this is the ONLY one I can recommend. The recipes are EXCELLENT! I am ordering another since mine is already dog-eared and I've only had it a month. One suggestion if you make the orange cream recipe - use at least double the orange juice stated in the recipe (half a can of frozen concentrate - thawed, of course, and not the small size can). I just tasted the mix to make sure it was the strength I wanted. I've noticed that after this is made and frozen, it doesn't taste as strong as it did before you put it into the machine. I've made this particular recipe 3 times and will continue making it !! It beats any creamsicle you've ever had. And the French Vanilla and Mocha (and regular Coffee) are to die for! The mocha came out the texture of gelato - what a dream ! I haven't managed to try all the recipes yet, but the 10 or so I've tried have turned out perfectly. I am now making it once or twice a week for my co-workers because it is too good not to share! This book has also given me enough information to experiment with recipes of my own. I just can't say enough about this book. And as a previous reviewer states, there should be a sequel - if they are willing to give up more of their recipes. And I wish they would add a recipe for chocolate ice cream using only cocoa powder (I'm too lazy to melt the chocolate squares). Based on their recipes, I strongly recommend using a 1 and 1/2 quart capacity machine, rather than the 1 quart, since when mixes are frozen, they tend to expand due to "whipping" the cream. Air is beaten into the ice cream by the machine, causing the expansion. I noticed that many of the recipes indicate the yield is a "generous quart" and they are not kidding!
on June 11, 2005
I bought a Musso Ice Cream machine from Amazon.com (Great product). The book that came with the machine was too basic. I wanted something with more choices. The Ben & Jerry's book seemed to have some promise. The books covers many popular recipes which will be familiar to you (Based on store bought). The stories that accompany many of the pages are quite interesting and somewhat entertaining.

My biggest problem with the book is that all of the recipes call for RAW eggs. They do not cover the custard style ice cream which requires you to basically cook the eggs. With all of the conceptions that eating raw eggs can cause problems, its a shame that there is no explanation of this. I would like to have some choices in my ice cream ingredients. And putting in raw eggs makes me a little uneasy. I have made ice cream using both methods, with and without raw eggs, so I know the taste difference. However, the choice to use raw eggs or not would have been welcomed.

If you are looking for an entertaining, somewhat informative book to get you started with ice cream making, give this a try. Don't hesitate to search the net for custard style recipes also.