5.0 out of 5 stars 4th Of July Fireworks Explosion Of A Musical!
Published on November 16, 2005 by Anna V. Carroll

3.0 out of 5 stars Not Quite Enough
I bought this album before I went to see the show, but I did not receive it in the mail until after. I'm glad I didn't listen to it before the show. If I had listened to this, without seeing the show I think I could not enjoy it as much as I do. I would probably be irritated with all the talking, without the context and memory of seeing the show.

I originally...
Published on September 5, 2007 by Plum

5.0 out of 5 stars 4th Of July Fireworks Explosion Of A Musical!, November 16, 2005
This review is from: Jersey Boys (2005 Original Broadway Cast Recording) (Audio CD)
The August Wilson Theater was filled to the rafters with men and women of a certain age who were definitely of the Frankie Valli Generation. They sat quietly in their conservative dress and spoke quietly as the house lights dimmed. I thought: Well, this is gonna be a dull evening. The first bars of a familiar Frankie Valli & The Four Seasons song played and these old timers (me among them) were on their feet cheering, stomping, clapping, yelling and just dancing in the aisles! And this was how the entire evening went! For one night the cast of 'The Jersey Boys' transformed us back to the 60s and our youth. We were young, perky, full of energy and hope. The world belonged to us.

The show has garnered all of the praise of every newspaper and magazine in NYC. I haven't seen reviews like this in years and years. I thought I knew what to expect before the curtain went up. As fabulous as I assumed singer/actor John Lloyd Young (Frankie Valli) would be, I was not prepared for his incredible voice and talent. It just doesn't get any better than this. This CD is one of the most outstanding Broadway soundtrack ever. And in my 63 years I have purchased more than a few of the classics. This one is an absolute MUST. If you can't fly to NYC to see the show then this is the next best thing.

Each actor/singer was outstanding and worked their butts off. It was an evening of magic that I know I will never see again on Broadway. SEE THIS MUSICAL! And also buy the CD. It's a winner in spades.

5.0 out of 5 stars Terrific Cast Recording!, March 28, 2006
AJK (Chicago, IL) - See all my reviews
Many people, including myself, are pretty tired of the lackluster "catalog" musicals churned out these days. There are obvioulsy exceptions (I thoroughly enjoyed "Mamma Mia" & "Movin' Out"), but most are dull.

When "Jersey Boys" opened, I didn't give it too much thought, but purchased the cd mostly to hear the show's take on the frankie valli/four seasons catalog. I was totally impressed!

The cast (led by an excellent John Lloyd Young) sounds great, the songs sound great. Seeing the show was simply icing on the cake...oh, what a night!

Best tracks:

Sherry
Big Girls Don't Cry
Walk Like A Man
December 1963 (one of my favorites as a kid)
My Eyes Adored You
Beggin'
Can't Take My Eyes Off You
Who Loves You

Completely deserved the Tonys it received, including Best Musical, Best Actor (John Lloyd Young) & Best Featured Actor (Christian Hoff)!

5.0 out of 5 stars SIMPLY WONDERFUL, November 7, 2005
I am simply astounded by this incredible CD. Pitch perfect renditions of 4 Seasons hits such as "Sherry' 'Walk Like a Man' 'Big Girls Don't Cry' 'My Eyes Adored You' 'Rag Doll' and more and the 4 Seasons led by the incredible falsetto of John Lloyd Young as Frankie Valli is simply wonderful. It re-creates an era when teens, quarters in hand, played these songs on jukeboxes all across the country. Those teens have now grown and moved on but this joyful album brings back fond memories of a group whose only aim was to entertain and lift the spirits.

5.0 out of 5 stars Oh what a night!, November 2, 2005
Anyone who is looking to add a little joy to their life should definitely own this cd. Not only is it music that we've all come to love, it's sung by the most talented group of people to hit broadway. John Lloyd Young's falsetto effortlessly soars. Daniel Reichard is simply wonderful. The rest of the cast is brilliant as well. If you like musiical theatre and/or great music from the 50's and 60's then this is the cast recording for you.

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing Show; Terrific Score, May 31, 2006
Eric C. Erickson "AxelDC" (Washington, DC United States) - See all my reviews
Jersey Boys was one of the best shows I've ever seen on Broadway. The music is more from my parents' older siblings time, but they are classics that nearly everyone is familiar with.

Unlike other "jukebox musicals", this one has a fantastic story that ties the Four Seasons hits into a coherent, emotional tale.

After a few preliminary numbers, "the whole world exploded" when the cast plays a succession of "Sherry", "Big Girls" and "Walk Like a Man". I've never seen an audience react to a showstopper like that before.

The CD is fantastic. John Lloyd Young really captures Frankie Valli's sound. If you can't see the show, get this CD. If you do see the show, you will listen to this CD a hundred times to recapture the magic.

5.0 out of 5 stars A Joyous Season, November 4, 2005
Being a 4 Seasons fan from day one, I could not wait for the release of this CD, and I certainly was not disappointed! The Jersey Boys musical brings to life the story and music of four poor guys from New Jersey who became a rock and roll phenomena. You'll be immediately drawn into the past, and you'll love it. Listen to John Lloyd Young's beautiful falsetto countered by J. Robert Spencer's bass. All of the classics are there: Sherry, Big Girls Don't Cry, Rag Doll, and many more. The audio is crystal clear. Close your eyes and you'll believe you are actually at this hit Broadway musical. Don't miss getting this CD.

5.0 out of 5 stars Jersey Boys - Best Musical on Broadway, December 26, 2005
The story of The Four Seasons, one of the best rock and roll groups in the history of rock and roll. This CD gives you the story lines in addition to the musical performances, which will be helpful for those unable to get to Broadway to see the show. If you can see the show, I recommend seeing it first before listening to the CD, or else you'll know some of the background which will tell you some stuff you may not have known, or wanted to have known, prior to seeing the show. A fabulous performance by one and all.

For more information, see my review of the Broadway show at:

[...]

5.0 out of 5 stars More Complex Than Typical Jukebox Musical, June 14, 2006
I'm not a huge fan of "jukebox" musicals, but some have been quite enjoyable. "Jersey Boys" has a much better storyline and was marvelous to watch. This cd shares the same energy as the show and showcases four great talents as the Four Seasons. My husband fell asleep in "The Drowsey Chaperone", but couldn't keep his feet still in this show...and the cd hasn't left the player since we purchased it.

5.0 out of 5 stars I loved the music on this CD, June 11, 2006
I really enjoyed listening to this cast recording of Jersey Boys. The first track is entitled Ces Soirees la. This is a very fun upbeat opening track. The Early Years medley track is also very good. I love John Lloyd Young's falsetto vocals on tracks like Sherry and Big Girls Don't Cry. He is perfectly cast as music legend Frankie Valli. Walk Like A Man and Rag Doll are two highlights on this CD too. I also enjoyed the track Oh What a Night. I think J. Robert Spencer provides excellent vocals on this track. He is perfectly cast as bass singer Nick Massi. Another highlight on this CD for me is the track My Eyes Adored You. I also enjoyed the song Can't Take My Eyes Off Of You. These songs are very romantic and sweet. I hope to have the opportunity to see Jersey Boys on Broadway someday.

5.0 out of 5 stars Wow!!!!, December 7, 2005
Got to see the Broadway show week before opening and thought one of the most entertaining musicals I had seen.

This album gives new life to some of the pleasures of the show. John Loyd Young is great as Frankie and all 4 do a great job recreating the music of the Four Seasons.

Loved the show and now the album.

Rate and Discover Movies