Published 22 months ago by G. Blankenship

1.0 out of 5 stars Parents Beware of this Book's Origin & Overall Intention!
Published 7 months ago by MB74

5.0 out of 5 stars If you have a young child, this book needs to be on your bookshelf!, October 30, 2012
G. Blankenship (West Virginia United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Jesus Calling Bible Storybook (Hardcover)
I LOVE Sarah Young's way of presenting God's promises to us in a personal way. I first discovered Ms. Young when I read 40 Days With Jesus: Celebrating His Presence, which prompted me to purchase the year long devotional (Jesus Calling: Enjoying Peace in His Presence). When she published Jesus Calling: 365 Devotions For Kids I bought it! I type up the devotionals and add a picture to them and include them in my daughter's lunch box every day. When I saw this title, I was excited to have one to share with my preschooler.

But this one is so much more than the others! It includes 49 Old Testament stories and 51 New Testament stories presented with beautiful illustrations (thank you Caroline Farias)and a great age appropriate narration. According to Young this book was "designed to help young children come to know God's Word and enjoy the Presence of Jesus in their lives. This book tells the wonderful story of God's great love for His people." I have to say that this has definitely been accomplished.

The Bible portions that have been included show God's love from creation, through Abraham, David, and finally the life of Jesus as well a reminder that "one day, things will become perfect the way God wants them to be. Someday God's love-brighter than the brightest sun-will be the only light we need...in the vision that Jesus showed to John, God and his children lived together as one perfect, happy family--the way it was supposed to be back in the Garden with Adam and Eve all those years ago." I found the stories to follow the Biblical account very closely and that made me happy. So many children's Bibles turn the accounts into fairy tales.

What I especially enjoyed is that at the end of each story is a Bible verse that corresponds to the events as well as a devotional in the expected Saray Young style. For example, the devotion after the story of Ruth and Naomi reads: Everything that happens fits into My plan for good if you love Me. Trust Me with big things, like your friendships and future dreams. You can also trust Me for little, everyday things. Remember how I took care of Ruth and Naomi. Nothing is too big or too small for Me. So talk with me about everything.

And the watercolor illustrations are absolutely GORGEOUS! I would love to frame some of them! If you have a young child, this book really does need to be on your bookshelf!

I did receive a digital copy of this book from the publisher with the expectation that I would give it an honest review. All thoughts and opinions are my own.

5.0 out of 5 stars Awesome, November 5, 2012
Andrea (Canaan, NH, United States) - See all my reviews
This is a wonderful book for parents or grandparents to read to little ones. It covers the major parts of the Bible from Genesis through Revelation. There several parts to each section, and places to stop and dialogue. I am very pleased with this book, which I bought for me to read with my grandchildren.

5.0 out of 5 stars Wonderful book for 5 to 8 year olds, November 3, 2013
Karona Poindexter (Washington, DC United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Jesus Calling Bible Storybook (Hardcover)
Wonderful book. It has a good amount of text that's fairly easy to read and beautiful pictures. Good intro to the bible before actually reading a full bible.

5.0 out of 5 stars Beautiful, April 18, 2013
This review is from: Jesus Calling Bible Storybook (Hardcover)
This was a Christmas present for my nephew. The illustrations are beautiful. Big print. He is 3 years old. Perfect for young children.

1.0 out of 5 stars Parents Beware of this Book's Origin & Overall Intention!, February 11, 2014
This review is from: Jesus Calling Bible Storybook (Hardcover)
If I could rate this with no stars, I would! Parents and Pastors should be aware of this book because it's written and derived from a New Age author who claims to be Christian and it was written from her origins of New Age practices. I wanted a children's Bible book for my three year old nephew and so, I purchased this. We had only read a few stories and I thought the writing and stories were mediocre, some were not even that. I had wished that I purchased something better. The quality and illustrations were pleasing to the eye, but as of recently, it was brought to my attention from online forums that this book is based off her "Jesus Calling" series, a series I was not familiar with. On the first page of the author's forward note to parents and grandparents of this children's book, she states that her series came years after personal studies and journals from communicating with God and Jesus-from monologue to dialogue-and wrote down what she "believed He was saying" to her. I thought this was disturbing and then I realized this sounded like some sort of spiritual channeling or spirit guide sessions. I then did some further research online and found out the author goes into more detail about this in her forward for the adult book series, where she claims she received "messages" from God and Jesus. Her overall intention of this series were from "two anonymous women," who were the subjects in the 1992 New Age book, "God Calling." These two women wrote and communicated with someone like God or Jesus, but these channeled spirit guides were called the "Great Companion and Guide" and not God or Jesus. As a Bible-believing, Berean Christian, even I got duped and deceived from this over-hyped, new age, false children's book from an author who has been guided (and is guiding Christians) through deceiving spirits. I learned my lesson good... as to really research and discern any author (and their doctrines in depth) when they write children's books. As of now, I will be buying a more foundational and sound children's Bible book. And this book, "Jesus Calling," will be placed in my permanent file... the TRASH CAN!!!

**EDITED TO ADD: I also found a book available on Amazon titled, "Another Jesus" Calling by Warren B. Smith. The book shares the new age concerns and spiritual dangers of Sarah Young's, "Jesus Calling" series.

5.0 out of 5 stars Love it!, September 7, 2013
This review is from: Jesus Calling Bible Storybook (Hardcover)
Love it. Bought it for my daughter who teaches at a Chistian school, a second and third grade combination. They are enjoying it.

5.0 out of 5 stars A Must for every household, June 30, 2013
This review is from: Jesus Calling Bible Storybook (Hardcover)
Sarah Young is a Spirit-centered writer. Who is sensitive to sharing God's truth in a loving practical way. Highly recommend.

5.0 out of 5 stars The Bible...introducing kids without scaring them. God is love!, July 15, 2014
S Hensley (Carrboro, NC USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Jesus Calling Bible Storybook (Hardcover)
Well-written. Beautifully illustrated. Tells the stories of the Bible in an uplifting, loving way that is not scary to my 6 yo. It took me a long time to find a Bible like this.

5.0 out of 5 stars 8yr old loves this., July 4, 2014
Sally Novak (Des Plaines, IL, US) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Jesus Calling Bible Storybook (Hardcover)
My daughter says her 8 yr old wants to read this together every night and it gets them talking and asking questions. She couldn't be happier with this book.

5.0 out of 5 stars Love It, August 14, 2014
This review is from: Jesus Calling Bible Storybook (Hardcover)
Absolutely the best Bible storybook out there. The pictures are captivating and it's one of the most comprehensive ones we have seen. It tells the stories in a way that is driven by Truth instead of fluffing over the not so good stories which I have seen in some children's Bibles:( Also the little devotion messages are so great. It even got my 3 year old super hyper strong-willed niece to sit down for a story. Were are reading this to our baby hoping they will have a strong relationship with Jesus instead of growing up in a environment where they feel mom and dad's religion is forced on them.

Jesus Calling Bible Storybook
Jesus Calling Bible Storybook by Sarah Young (Hardcover - October 16, 2012)
$16.99 $11.19