5.0 out of 5 stars The Only **Complete** Superstar!
Published on April 24, 2001 by Alan Caylow

3.0 out of 5 stars Actually Sounded Better on L.P.!
I got the dvd of the movie version of Superstar and couldn't be happier. The remastering of both image and sound are so great that you'd forget the movie was made in the early seventies if it weren't for the bellbottoms and hairdos.
Published on March 30, 2001 by Genobambino

3.0 out of 5 stars Actually Sounded Better on L.P.!, March 30, 2001
Genobambino (California, USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Jesus Christ Superstar: The Original Motion Picture Soundtrack Album (Audio CD)
It's a shame that the care taken on the dvd didn't translate to this extravagently-priced audio version. The vocals are muffled, as if sung into a plastic garbage pail. Then they're mixed so far forward that the drums and guitar completely dissappear. As a result, the rock numbers and the ballads alike lose their emotional kick. The power of the transitions between songs, like the goosebump causing way "Trial Before Pilate" segues into "Superstar" in the movie, are totally destroyed by a couple of seconds of dead air inserted robot-like between every tune.
I can't understand how anything remastered for cd, repackaged, and sold for over thirty bucks can actually sound worse than a seventies vinyl album. How could they get it so wrong? They didn't even print the lyrics, which I seem to remember in the original l.p.
Buy the dvd and play that instead, with or without the picture. It only costs half as much as the two cd set and the sound is far superior.

5.0 out of 5 stars The Only **Complete** Superstar!, April 24, 2001
I'm a huge fan of "Jesus Christ Superstar," and while I love the original 1970 album, the 1973 movie version/soundtrack album is equally just as powerful. While the 1970 version remains the best "Superstar" recording in several ways, certainly in regards to production and sound quality, the 1973 movie version tops the original recording in one respect at least: it's the only COMPLETE version of "Jesus Christ Superstar." The 1973 movie & it's accompanying soundtrack album present "Superstar" in a wonderfully expanded version that actually builds on the amazing accomplishment that composer Andrew Lloyd Webber & lyricist Tim Rice had already achieved with the landmark 1970 album.For the movie version of "Jesus Christ Superstar," Lloyd Webber & Rice had to write some extra material in order to beef up the film. The extra musical goodies they supplied include "Then We Are Decided," a great song that the high priests Caiaphas & Annas sing, in which they contemplate in private their plans against Jesus. This song is a great addition to the opera, as it delves a bit deeper into these two characters & their motives. That it's almost never performed in any stage production of "Superstar" these days is a very sad ommission. "Then We Are Decided," in my opinion, SHOULD be a part of all future "Superstar" recordings and performances. But for now, it's only available on the movie soundtrack.Other bonus material include an extra lyric for Jesus to sing in "Hosanna," the lovely Mary & Peter duet "Could We Start Again Please?" (which IS included in most of the recent "Superstar" productions, thankfully), and last but not least, a dramatic, extended version of the "Trial Before Pilate" that greatly improves on the shorter, original version. The original "Trial" is fine, but there's a LOT more conflict & drama between Pilate & the crowd in the extended "Trial," as Pilate is shown greatly wrestling with his own conscience over what his final decision on Jesus' fate should be. It's a very powerful moment, indeed. Once again, I'm glad that many productions of "Superstar" lately DO incorporate the extended version of the "Trial."You get a marvelous cast that includes brilliant vocal turns by Ted Neely, Carl Anderson, and Yvonne Elliman in their respective roles of Jesus, Judas, and Mary, and, of course, the classic music & lyrics by Lloyd Webber & Rice, performed here with great passion by the assembled musicians, almost just as good as on the original "Superstar" album. The sound quality, however, isn't all that spectacular---it sounds like everyone is singing through a telephone line! (Okay, I'm exaggerating a bit). But nonetheless, the performances are first-rate, and so is the music. In the end, this is an excellent version of this legendary rock opera, and it's the ONLY version of the musical that's 100% complete. Personally, I suggest buying BOTH the movie soundtrack of "Jesus Christ Superstar" and the original 1970 version, too. They compliment each other very well, and they're the only recordings of "Superstar" you'll ever need to own.

2.0 out of 5 stars Highly disappointed, July 12, 2004
Anthony "mrwhy" (San Gabriel Valley, CA) - See all my reviews
I am a huge fan of Jesus Christ Superstar and feel that the movie version is the best of all. This is the soundtrack of the movie and it does not do any justice to the movie at all. The quality of the CD is terrible! There really needs to be a re-recording and reissue because this is inexcusable.
If you are a fan of the movie like me, then other than watching the movie, this soundtrack is the only choice, but do not let the five star reviews fool you. You will be disappointed.
If this is going to be your first introduction to Jesus Christ Superstar then please do yourself a favor, skip this CD and get the DVD instead.

5.0 out of 5 stars In my mind, this is the *only* "JCS" soundtrack to have!, October 21, 1999
Having seen the musical a number of times on stage and having seen the movie more times than I can remember, I remain a huge fan of "Jesus Christ Superstar," as presented by Ted Neeley, Carl Anderson, and Yvonne Elliman. This is truly an outstanding presentation of incredible material, and I highly recommend it over any other version. I'm quite shocked by the reviews calling these tremendous actors' voices "weak" or "passive" -- I see no basis for this whatsoever. Truly, Ted Neeley is absolutely stellar in the role of Christ -- he is decidedly *not* passive, but incredibly emotional (which one would think is a requirement for the role!). Carl Anderson's performance actually elicits pity for the cursed Judas. . .and might even make one hope he was pardoned. Yvonne Elliman's voice is sweet and poignant -- her "I Don't Know How to Love Him" is beautiful. The entire soundtrack is haunting, and the instruments are far better on this version than on any of the others. What more does an audience need?!

2.0 out of 5 stars Poor sound quality., February 13, 2005
I'd first seen this movie on the 2004 DVD version. The sound was clear and full but this 2 CD soundtrack of that film sounds vastly inferior in terms of sound quality. I might as well had just created my own CDs from the DVD soundtrack. Which is a shame because alot of the orchestrations here are more dramatic than in the 1970 concept album. It sounds awful. Drums that you thought were there sound almost non existent. During Hosanna the strings sound filtered; as though someone had used those programs used to clean up LP noise to excess. On the "Simon Zealotes" track you can barely hear the chorus. It literally sounds like they are singing it in the apartment below me. Imagine a poor quality mp3 sound. Muffled and half baked. The previous CD release is just as bad. I managed to get a copy of it at a used record store in downtown Toronto. Don't believe the reviews that say that the LP sounds better. It may have sounded better to them because their record player emitted more treble than their CD player or something but I purchased the LP version on ebay which was in like new condition with virtually no scratces. But still the LP suffered the same mixing and filtering problems. Same Simon Zealotes chorus problem, same problem with the chorus/strings in Hosanna, in the Trial Before Pilate the treble suddenly shoots up in the exact same place. I'm thinking that they are using the same, poorly mixed, master tape for all of the releases of the JCSS movie soundtrack. Unless MCA puts together a well mixed version of the soundtrack one must resort to either the DVD or the concept recording. Which is bit of a drag because although the concept recording sounds great and singers are probably the best, the movie soundtrack has some impressive orchestrations the concept recording doesn't have. The DVD, although sounding much clearer than the soundtracks, still has it's faults. In Heaven On Their Minds on the DVD the vocal track is very loud while the instrumentals are hard to hear.

Anyway, the singers are great tho. Neeley makes for a weak Jesus at points but at other times, like during Gethsemane, he blows you away. Elliman is by far her weakest in this version. She was great in the concept album. Here she swings too much from note to note. Anderson's Judas is breathtaking. Murray Head (concept), Carl Anderson (movie), Ben Vereen (broadway) are all equally great but in slightly different ways. Ben Vereen has a commanding and powerful Motown style. Anderson was less pop and a little more emotive and Head's Judas was very rock.

5.0 out of 5 stars A very good recording of JCS, August 18, 2004
I own both the London Concept Recording with Ian and Murray Head and the JCS movie soundtrack*. Some people say one is better than the other (usually it is people putting down this soundtrack and praising the original concept version). I have no idea why so many people hate this recording because I absolutely love it. Ted Neely is just different from Ian Gillian. Gillian gives a wonderful performance, and so does Neely. Gillian has a more hard rock voice while Neely has more emotion in his singing. You can hear Neely's hurt, confusion, fear, and frustrations. "Gethsemane" by Neely is very powerful, and I actually prefer it over Gillian's (I love Gillian- he's not bad at all, I just LOVE Neely). Carl Anderson is a -wonderful- Judas. He has such a powerful voice, and you can really relate to him. I love his "Heaven on their minds". All of his solos are wonderful! You can hear his agony and anger. "Superstar" is also fantastic. Yvonne Elliman is from the Original Concept album, and so is Barry Dennon. Both wonderful singers! The Caiaphas is exceptional on this album- his voice is wonderful! I find the Annas a bit annoying because of the high voice, but I guess it's supposed to be like this! The only casting I would change is the Herod because he can't really sing! I highly recommend this album because it is wonderful! Get the DVD!!!

*I actually made my own soundtrack from the dvd because I have heard that the actual cd has bad sound quality- the one I made is the same quality of the dvd and is excellent.

5.0 out of 5 stars BY FAR the best recording of JCS, December 6, 1999
The original motion picture soundtrack of Jesus Christ Superstar is far superior to any other I've ever heard. The original concept album is HORRIBLY arranged, while Previn works wonders with the score on the film soundtrack. The three principals (Jesus, Judas, Pilate) are outstanding, contributing to this version's being the best ACTED of all. This is also the only version I'm aware of which includes "Then We Are Decided"--a short number which is, in my mind, absolutely crucial to the play, in that it makes the position of Caiaphas much more understandable and sympathetic. Without it, Caiaphas, Annas, & co. are little more than one-dimensional, thoughtless bad guys.
The only notable flaws with this version are some relatively poor song transitions and a less than stellar version of the crucifixion scene. Avoid watching the garish and dated film itself; it's almost bad enough to spoil the wonderful experience of this record.

1.0 out of 5 stars Worst remaster ever?, October 18, 2005
For the DVD version I would give this a 5-star rating. However, as others have pointed out, this 'remaster' actually sounds worse than the original 1974 vinyl version! Everything sounds like it was recorded in a tin can, and there is an annoying silence inserted between every track for no apparent reason other than to ruin the flow of the album. What were they thinking? The way they treated this great music borders on offensive. If you want to hear how this music *should* sound, get the DVD or even VHS.

4.0 out of 5 stars JCS-Masterpiece suffers from dated audio., June 27, 2005
I love JCS. Lets get get that straight first. The original (Concept) album was playing all through my childhood. And I loved it. The movie was a spiritual and amazing rock experience. So, many years later when I saw the original movie soundtrack on CD in a pawn shop, I jumped on it. (This is not the remastered version.) The songs are great, and tonight I just finished watching the remastered DVD. Now, I thought the audio quality on the CD was bad. But I expected this because it was from an old original soundtrack. But now that I have seen and heard the remastered DVD movie, I am blown away! The images and the music are on par with a modern classic! This made me realize that the CD soundtrack was even worse than I thought. Whatever they did to the remastered movie, they should do to the remastered CD! I think I am going to just burn off a copy of the DVD audio just for my own pleasure! P.S. I will be attending the live version of JCS for the first time in just a few days! Then I can compare that experience as well!

3.0 out of 5 stars Some gems and some lost in translation, April 1, 2005
The movie soundtrack of JCS is a mixed bag for the JCS fan. On one hand, it has essential gems not found on the original cast recording or many others. "Could We Start Again Please" and "Then We are Decided" were written for the film and are welcome additions to the story. Extended or alternate lyrics in Hosanna and the Temple are bonuses for the collector. Yet this is a far cry in quality from the original, both in sound quality and voice talents (esp. Herod). Some of the problem no doubt is that the context of these songs in the film are lost in translation to cd. But it's also just not as good, and some aspects sound dated (ie. sound "70s") moreso than other renditions. In sum, to non-fans, don't make this your one copy of JCS to own--get the original. To fans, this supplements the original with new material and alternate interpretations that I think are worthwhile.

Rate and Discover Movies