5.0 out of 5 stars Best devotional book in a long time!
Published on November 23, 2009 by A. Looby

1.0 out of 5 stars Loved it at first…hate it now.
Published 10 months ago by Rick Moore

5.0 out of 5 stars Best devotional book in a long time!, November 23, 2009
This review is from: Jesus Lives (Hardcover)
Jesus Lives is a gift style devotional book. The 180 devotions make for a half year of study. The main focus, through stunning first person narrative, is finding and recognizing the powerful, all-inclusive, never-changing love of Jesus. The author captures, as no other devotion I've read lately, a heartfelt tone and feeling. You truly believe these words passed directly to her from the Holy Spirit.

I received the book just before the week of Thanksgiving, so I decided to start reading with the devotions on Thankfulness. Honestly, the very first one I read smacked me over the head! I had to keep reading. Some time later, I realized I'd read a week's worth of devotions in one day. I don't want to stop reading, I only have so I can get the full force of my feelings behind my review.

I want to give a copy of this to every person I know. This book is going to change lives. This book is powerful, Scripture-based Truth from God. I feel blessed just in the part I have read and I cannot wait to read through the entire book.

This book is making me want more. It's making me want that personal, intimate time with God daily. It will be on my nightstand. It will be a daily reminder of the love Jesus has for each and every one of us. It will be read aloud to my children. I will give copies to friends for gifts.

I cannot recommend this book enough. You have to read it. You will not be the same after you have.

I am a member of Thomas Nelson's Book Review Blogger program. I received no monetary compensation for my opinions. A copy of the book was provided for me to read, in exchange for my honest opinions of the book. Go here to learn more about the program: [...]

5.0 out of 5 stars Divine Devotional, November 25, 2009
Amazon Customer "Opa" (Colorado Rocky Mountains) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
This review is from: Jesus Lives (Hardcover)
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
"Jesus Lives" is an excellent devotional. Sarah Young tells us in her introduction that she wrote it with a focus upon God's astonishing love for His children." On most topics God's love radiates from the pages.

"Jesus Lives" is different from other devotional books I have read. The format consists of two page devotions (pages facing) for each topic. The left hand page presents the loving concept, while the right hand page gives us quotations from scripture relevant to the topic. "Jesus Lives" is not organized like a daily devotional, but rather by reoccurring themes . The book provides an excellent guide in the front of the text that functions as an index. The book is simple to use and the devotions are very well written.

I like the broad range of topics addressed in this text. I especially enjoyed the commentaries on each devotion. Sarah writes as if God is talking to us. She does an excellent job of presenting God's loving guidance. The recommended way is to read a theme and then meditate upon how to apply the truth to your life. The writing is good enough, however, that I started reading it straight through.

This book is a superior spiritual resource for meditating on many of the questions about faith and the challenges that we encounter in our daily lives. Some of her topics are: Brokenness; Protection; Weakness; Sorrow; Depending on Him; Intimacy with Him; and Thankfulness. Her guidance on each concept is solid and useful.

"Jesus Lives" is an excellent book for Christians. I highly recommend it.

4.0 out of 5 stars Jesus Lives by Sarah Young, November 27, 2009
This review is from: Jesus Lives (Hardcover)
"Jesus Lives" is a small hard-back gift book by Sarah Young. It is a devotional that covers about 180 days of the year. It is written as if it were a letter from Jesus Christ to the reader. Sarah also includes several appropriate verses after each devotion. This could easily be a devotion for an older teen on up through adulthood.
I would recommend this devotional to anyone who wants to feel close to Jesus Christ. As I read I felt a special peace that only comes by being in the presence of the Lord. Sarah did a good job making each devotional feel like a letter written especially to me.. I truly enjoyed and am still enjoying this book.

4.0 out of 5 stars Another great resource from Sarah Young, February 26, 2010
This review is from: Jesus Lives (Hardcover)
If you are familiar with Jesus Calling, Jesus Lives! is very similar. It's a cute little devotional book packed full of powerful Truth!

In this book, author Sarah Young provides 180 topical devotionals (including trust, love, peace, victory, and brokenness). Her writing is taken straight from Scripture, and it as if Jesus is talking specifically to the reader...full of much grace and truth! :)

In her introduction, Sarah reminds us that "we followers of Jesus face a glorious challenge every single day to trust in His love regardless of our circumstances....We must search for and "see" His love in the moments of our lives". I immediately knew this was a book I could relate to! :)

As always, I enjoy Sarah's writing. You can tell that she spent abundant time in prayer and fellowship with the Lord as she was writing this book. I found the topics to be inspiring and helpful, and I appreciated that Sarah included the whole scripture with each mini-devotional (rather than just the scripture address, as in Jesus Calling).

I wanted to love this book and have it be my new favorite ~ instead I will say that it is "really good". (Jesus Calling is still at the very top of my list!) Overall, I would give it 4 out of 5 stars. :)

If you've finished Jesus Calling and desire more of Sarah's writings, I definitely think Jesus Lives! is a perfect "Part 2". Sarah's insights are deep and profound, while at the same time, quick enough to pick up and read when time is short (esp. for busy women!).

Jesus Lives! would also make a great gift for anyone you know desiring to grow in their relationship with Jesus. Most of my friends are reading and loving Jesus Calling, so Jesus Lives! is perfect for them ~ I've already bought some and shared! :)

1.0 out of 5 stars Loved it at first…hate it now., January 26, 2014
This review is from: Jesus Lives: Seeing His Love in Your Life (Hardcover)
My wife and I bought four different devotionals in this series because they were so inspiring. Then, we decided to read 2 chapters a day from the New Testament along with reading from these devotionals. By the time we finished reading the 4 gospels we found that we were liking the devotionals less and less. WHY? Because when you get to the source (your Bible), you begin to feel uneasy about Sarah Young's style. She writes in the first person of Jesus as if she is quoting His words, but they aren't. They are her words put in His mouth in an effort to make you feel closer to Him and He closer to you. That's a noble goal, but the means, in my opinion should be avoided. We have since stopped reading Sarah Young's devotionals and are continuing reading the Bible at a pace of 2 chapters a day. This has been so much more rewarding as we are at the Source material. We'll stick to reading what Jesus ACTUALLY said, rather than reading from a devotional that puts the author's own words in His mouth. We have decided to read "100 Verses Every Christian Should KNow" along with our Bible and that has been a real blessing. "We worship in Spirit and in TRUTH."

3.0 out of 5 stars Enjoyable enough, December 26, 2009
Becky Scott "aka Lola Goetz" (San Diego, CA United States) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: Jesus Lives (Hardcover)
As another reviewer pointed out, this devotional is written as if Jesus is talking directly to you. The author includes Bible verses that support the pieces and they do fit right in with each theme. I even think she does a good job with her writing - it's intimate, easy-to-read, and understandable.

That said, it does make me a wee bit uncomfortable to have things written as if God is speaking. It's not that I feel God can't inspire modern-day text. I think that's entirely possible. It just seems to me that the author interjects a bit more of her personal thoughts and beliefs than I would like.

Some people will probably really enjoy this style of writing. It makes you feel as if you are being spoken directly to, which can make you think a lot about the topics. And having the inspiring verses right there are quite helpful. In fact, I noticed that the pieces of verses that are quoted in the devotional are in italics - which makes it easier to cross-reference what she's referring to.

I give this 3 out of 5 stars. A good read, but not exactly what I personally want for a devotional. I received a copy of this book as part of the Thomas Nelson book review bloggers program.

5.0 out of 5 stars Jesus Saves by Sarah Young, August 17, 2010
This review is from: Jesus Lives (Hardcover)
Jesus Lives by Sarah Young is an awesome devotional book. It is uniquely written, is Biblically based, and talks about topics that can really be applied to your life. Sarah Young wrote this book in a writing style that I have never seen before. Each of the one hundred and eighty devotions is written as if from Jesus to us. Every devotion is based on the Bible, (which is important because we all need to be feeding on the word every day), and she includes several verses that apply to each topic. My favorite thing about this book is that all of the topics really do apply to my life. The topics include: Adversity, Control, Depending on Him, Desiring Him, Endurance, His Faithfulness, Fear, The Future, Heaven, Grace, Prayer, and Renewing your mind. One of the devotions that I found to be really true is the one on fear. "Fearfulness is a form of bondage. ... People are born into a world in spiritual bondage, including bondage to fear. Because you inhabit both a fallen world and a fallen body, it isn't easy to break free from fearfulness. However, the spirit of adoption can help you in this struggle, enabling you to see yourself as you truly are: a much-loved child of God!" Isn't that true? Through these devotions (and many more) Sarah Young addresses real questions and problems that you and I face in our everyday lives. As a result of tackling these real life issues, spending time in God's word and in prayer you grow in your relationship in Jesus.

3.0 out of 5 stars A devotional book worth using, December 28, 2009
olon (Milton, Fl, United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Jesus Lives (Hardcover)
This is a devotional book that is written from the perspective of Jesus speaking to the reader. It is also written with a very specific topic in mind--the unfailing love of Jesus Christ. Each of the devotions is designed to bring you to understand that love and experience it in a new and/or fresh way. Life brings with it many challenges and difficulties that may cause us to question the love of our Savior. Sarah Young hopes to help those who use this devotional to "'see' His Love in [those] moments of our lives."

The layout of this devotional is topical. This is different from a great majority of devotionals available that take the format of lining out the devotions according to the calendar. Of the 180 devotions contained in the book, some of the topics on which you can find devotions are: Adversity, emptiness, His forgiveness, idolatry, prayer, sorrow, worship, etc.

All in all, this is a wonderful devotional book. I like how the author writes as though Jesus were speaking directly to the reader. The other thing I really like about this book was that every devotional was accompanied by several Scriptures to meditate and reflect upon as you read the "message from Christ."

I am typically not big on devotional materials as I think they very often times tend to simply give Christians the feeling that they have spent time in the Word of God when they have only read one verse. This devotional is slightly different than most and has some value for those who would like something to help them with understanding certain topics better. For example, if someone is struggling with trials in their life, there are five devotions that address that very topic. And each of those devotionals will point them to several places in the Scriptures that will help them better understand trials. Therefore, I don't think this is a devotional that one would sit down and read from cover to cover; but I think it is one of those books you turn to at different points in your life when you need a fresh perspective on something.

I am a book review blogger for Thomas Nelson. [...]

5.0 out of 5 stars A Devotional Book that Produces Inner Peace, May 27, 2010
This review is from: Jesus Lives (Hardcover)
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
"No matter what trails you are enduring, you can count on My Love and My compassion - neither of which will ever fail. I can bring good out of everything I allow in your life, but much of what I do is far beyond your understanding." ~ pg. 218

Imagine a book in which Jesus speaks to you personally. As you turn each page you will find Sarah Young's interpretation of biblical passages to be inspiring. On the left are the words she imagines Christ would say and on the right there are the Bible verses that point to the truth of her message.

Some of the topics discussed include: Attitude, Brokenness, Emptiness, Endurance, Faith, Fear, Heaven, Hope, Idolatry, Peace, Prayer, Sorrow, Thankfulness, Trust, Victorious Living, Wisdom, Worry and Worship.

Sarah Young's desire is for you to encounter the "living savior." In this she succeeds. This is a beautiful book filled with messages from a loving savior. It is meant to be savored not read through in one sitting. It took me a few months to read through all the devotional passages but it was worth it. I think I will now read through it again. It really is that good. For me at least, it gave me a sense of inner peace.

~The Rebecca Review

5.0 out of 5 stars The ultimate, February 26, 2013
Linda (Owasso, OK, United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Jesus Lives (Hardcover)
This was a gift. Experiencing the love of Christ in your life will change it forever. This book leads a believer (saved person) to understand God's love more fully.

Jesus Lives: Seeing His Love in Your Life
Jesus Lives: Seeing His Love in Your Life by Sarah Young (Hardcover - June 5, 2012)
$15.99 $10.98