Your Garage Summer Reading Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it Jessy Lanza Father's Day Gift Guide 2016 Fire TV Stick Luxury Beauty Father's Day Gifts Amazon Cash Back Offer DrThorne DrThorne DrThorne  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Shop Now SnS

Format: Hardcover|Change

on September 21, 2012
The amazingly gifted author Sarah Young is back with Jesus Today. This is her new devotional in the line of Jesus Calling, a phenominal bestseller.

I love the way these readings are laid out. Very simple yet profound d. While reading the Jesus Today book I found that just like Jesus Calling the devotions all hit me exactly where I was at the moment.

Ever have I read a devotional that sucked me in and made me want more you really feel as if you are sitting at the Rabbi's feet and he is talking just to you. Instructing you, encouraging you and lifting you up in difficult times.

Here is what the publisher had to say:
Beloved missionary, Sarah Young, shares another deeply spiritual devotional to help readers grow in grace, hear from God, and walk with Jesus TodayTM.
Her first book, the acclaimed bestseller, Jesus Calling®, was born after years of writing in her prayer journal and feeling led to write down what she believed God was telling her. Gradually, her prayer journal turned from a monologue to a dialogue. Knowing that her writings were not inspired as Scripture is, this process still helped her grow closer in her walk with God.
In Jesus TodayTM, readers will be renewed with a deeper sense of hope as Sarah shares this about her spiritual journey in writing the book: "When I began writing Jesus Today, I was deeply discouraged by the failure of many months of intensive medical treatment to improve my health. However, the longer I worked on the book--focusing on finding hope in Jesus--the more hopeful and encouraged I became."

This is a must have book and a great gift for friends and family.
JESUS IS CALLING YOU TODAY.... ARE YOU LISTENING!
11 comment|87 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on October 14, 2012
I was given the 'Jesus Calling' daily devotional book last Christmas. It has become a mandatory part of my daily life. There have been some very devastating circumstances in my life over the past 6 years - included, but not limited to, the death of my only brother and baby sister. I ordered this book a little over a week ago and it goes so well with the 'Jesus Calling' book that I am truly amazed. It offers extra insight into God's peace, love, compassion and caring for us and gives the reader more tools to deal with everyday life.
TOP 1000 REVIEWERon October 16, 2012
Written by one who has personally entered the trenches of illness and despair, and how she finds healing and hope, this book offers 150 devotional entries on how Jesus can be experienced today. Having suffered as a victim of Lyme disease and its coinfections, plus a bout of brain fog due to hyperparathyroidism, Young admits that if not for her own trials, this book will never have been written. She writes with one particular kind of reader in mind: the discouraged, the down, and the desolate. In the process, she invites others into the conversation, in the hope that different people will learn something from her sharing. More importantly, we all learn to experience Jesus's presence even when we are going through hard times. Each devotional piece is written in such a way that Jesus is the first party speaking, while the author is the second. Readers are free to eavesdrop or listen into the conversation. At the end of the brief session, several verses from the Bible are listed to strengthen the theme of the message. Actionable points are italicized for readers to pay extra attention to.

I find the words in the devotional packed with the author's personal experience. It takes one who has gone through substantial trial in order to be at peace with the practice of the presence of God. It gives healing for the soul, that amid the physical pains and emotional struggles, there is comfort by knowing that Jesus cares. It gives encouragement to one who is down and out. It provides a way for one to channel anxiety and unhelpful worries into trust and hope in God. Above all, the devotional affirms once again that God is not only able to work a miracle, there is more: God's very presence. When Jesus speaks, it is not simply about words flowing from mouth to ear. It is about the Word becoming flesh and dwells deep within our hearts. It is about experience and knowing that God cares, right where we are. One can also use the book as a praying device, getting a partner to read aloud the words of the devotional, after one has cried out in prayer to God.

This is one kind of a book that does not talk about the Christian life. It literally lives out the Christian life.

Rating: 4.5 stars of 5.

conrade

This book is provided to me free by Thomas-Nelson and NetGalley without any obligation for a positive review. All opinions offered above are mine unless otherwise stated or implied.
33 comments|58 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on August 9, 2013
It may be small in size but Jesus Today is a powerfully comforting book for those who find themselved in need of hope and encouragement during times of great trials. Ms. Young chose to use complete scripture verses- instead of just listing the 'address' as was done in Jesus Calling. If you don't happen to have a bible to look up the scriptures, here they are all written out for you. I like this feature a lot. Unfortunately there aren't 365 devotional in this book- which I personally would have liked. Nevertheless, it's a great book and I love being able to read it on my iPad with the Kindle app.
on March 5, 2013
This has been a powerful source of comfort and hope for our family. Each day I read I feel like the message was written just for me and my family. Adversity is something we all experience and this devotional helps us see the hope and peace that comes through a faith in Jesus Christ. There is nothing we experience that Christ hasn't experienced and overcome. This book was so powerful in my life that I have shared and continue to share it with family and friends.
on January 13, 2013
As with Sarah Young's bestselling "Jesus Calling", this small book (just the right size for your hand, and to carry with you when traveling or even in the car) is a gem containing a great and powerful depth of wisdom. The theme of hope in Jesus Today is one to which most of us humans can well relate, as challenging experiences are a part of pretty much everyone's life experience at some time or another. Here are "faith, hope and love" - the three greatest things in our world. Buy this, and give it to most people you know!
on May 3, 2016
Sara Young has such an amazing gift. This book is written in the similar style of her Jesus Calling book, spoken from Gods perspective drawn from scripture. After the amazing daily reading, she lists the scripture that supports the writing. I don't know how she has done it again, but every time I read it, it is EXACTLY what I need to hear. This was written in a time when she was struggling in her life and it very much focuses on hope. I recommend this book for anyone who is going through a hard time. When I am feeling too down to read it is when I need it most. If I could give this book a million stars I would!!
on March 1, 2013
Another great book by Sarah Young. This one centers on hope. The encouragement it brings to me each day is much needed. I look forward to reading it with my devotions.
on February 17, 2016
Sarah Young

I’ve heard folks complain that this author is adding to the scriptures. No, no, no. In this book she supports everything she writes with relevant scriptures. People who think this is adding to the Bible don’t seem to understand that God DOES communicate with anyone willing to listen. Sarah Young apparently listens closely.

I have been encouraged and strengthened every day by this book and the Scriptures included. The author apparently was experiencing hardship during the time she recorded the messages. What she learned and shared is helping me during a most difficult time in my life. I am discovering that God is with me during pain, is still very much in control of my life and is teaching me awesome lessons, such as perseverance, patience and realizing that during difficult times we may be sharing with the afflictions of Jesus. I am greatly thankful for guidance through the book Jesus Today and for Sarah Young’s experiences that she wrote down.

A reader doesn’t need to be having troubles in order to benefit from Jesus Today by Sarah Young.

Geni White, RN, MS (retired) (3rd generation Cancer survivor. One of 5%.)
on June 22, 2014
Sarah Young uses a religious practice known as listening prayer to pen the devotions found in "Jesus Today," a method that requires time, quiet and an undistracted mind that gives the impression Jesus speaks directly to the reader.

For example, devotion 22 begins, "I guide you in the way of wisdom and lead you along straight paths. This is the way of wisdom: trusting Me no matter what happens in your life," inspired by Proverbs 4: 11, Romans 8:29 and Proverbs 20: 24.

The readings have proven to be a lifeline of encouragement for all those who suffer since the book first published in 2012. Due to its "literary merit" and high consumer demand, the Evangelical Christian Publishers Association awarded it the ECPA Christian Book of the Year in 2013.

Sarah admits the book was written "during three of the most challenging years of her life" after as early diagnosis of chronic fatigue syndrome in 2001, when what she really suffered from was Lyme disease. Australian doctors, unfamiliar with treatment protocols in 2009, prompted Sarah's return to the U.S for treatment.

A knowledgeable Midwest doctor ordered forty-two blood tests and a brain SPECT scan that revealed she suffered "co-infections" of Lyme disease. She recommended several months of grueling and expensive "IV antibiotic treatments." Sarah writes, "I am convinced if I had been healthier, I would not have been able to write this book."

"Jesus Today," features 150 two-page devotional entries and fifty noteworthy quotations that reflect her feelings in the "trenches of adversity when she needed hope to shine brightly." Sarah prays the book will be a "lifeline to people who feel as if they're sinking in hopelessness, as well as a source of encouragement to those whose lives are not so desperate."

I believe Sarah's prayer has been answered and "Jesus Today" will be like her previous book, "Jesus Calling" that inspired a generation of devoted readers. Noted by Publisher's Weekly who said the "Jesus Calling" brand celebrated its tenth anniversary with over ten million books sold worldwide.

Sarah is, was and remains one of my favorite authors and I am blessed to review anything she writes, however, unlike most celebrity authors she rarely grants interviews. To learn more about Sarah read Mark Oppenheimer's New York Times article, A First-Person Defense of Writing in Jesus' Voice. Or Christian Broadcasting Networks rare interview with the reclusive Sarah: Q & A with Sarah Young.