Automotive Deals Best Books of the Month Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it Crown the Empire Fire TV Stick Health, Household and Grocery Back to School Ruby jewelry Amazon Cash Back Offer harmonquest_s1 harmonquest_s1 harmonquest_s1  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Segway miniPro

Format: Paperback|Change

on April 30, 2013
Ouch. Several months ago, Harper One sent me a short collection of Rob Bell reprints to review. I slowly worked my way through them, enjoying each one, and somehow left this one sitting on the shelves. Too many other obligations. I just now picked it up, and read it in one sitting.

I couldn't put it down. Forget Velvet Elvis. Forget Love Wins. This 180-page sermon, this little obscure work, is for Bible groupies Bell's real masterpiece. It's definitely my new favorite, so maybe that says something about co-author Don Golden, a name I hadn't come across before.

From the Exodus, to the Temple construction, to the Eucharist, Bell and Golden reveal a surprising thread that weaves its way throughout the Bible. This "new perspective " opens up what the Bible means to Americans today, living in the world's most powerful nation, boasting the greatest military, yet holding the strongest responsibility for the world's impoverished. America is an empire, and the Bible has a lot to say about empires.

"I hope you see that there is a common humanity we share with everybody alive today, and everybody who has come before us," writes Bell in the preface. This little book accomplishes just that.
on July 1, 2014
growing up in a fundamental family I had lost hope that Christians would see something deeper, something new in the life and implementation of Christ's message/
Rob Bell's book and all his work has restored not only my faith and hope but returned me to something I thought was lost.
Read I and weep and then be grateful for Rob's work!
on March 4, 2013
As a pastor leading a study group on this book, I can say that each person in the class has commented on the different style of this book compared to *Love Wins* and *Velvet Elvis* which we've also done. Perhaps it's having a co-author. There's something lacking, and I think it might be the in depth exegesis or drawing out of meaning that is not readily available to the viewer. Still a good choice for inspiring conversation, though.
on December 14, 2014
I read 3 or 4 books every week, usually books on the theological or spiritual spectrum. I've read some good books, maybe even some great ones but Rob Bell has written the most important book I've read in a long time. He has a gift for making connections that were meant to be made but are often overlooked by Bible readers and rarely presented in sermons or studies. He understands the gospel's original message and he presents the Bible's story in a refreshing even innovative way. Almost anyone can read his books as he removes the difficult theological language that ones expects to find in such a book. This is a must read and a must understand.
My experience with most pastors is that while they know what the Bible really says they are so afraid for their jobs the truth never gets taught but this book should be required reading for every church member and pastor. I've ordered several copies for family and friends and I'm sure will order more.
on August 2, 2012
I agree with Bell most churches in America and beyond need to wake up and stop taking their congregations money and build new buildings...instead they need to look after the poor.
on December 13, 2014
this book provides a fresh perspective on the theme of Exodus throughout Scripture & applies it to modern day living. i devoured it a bit too quickly, so i plan to go back & read it again more slowly & more contemplatively with Bible in hand. i've been reading more of rob bell's writings & this one stands out almost as a "jerry maguire"-esque "manifesto" - manifesto is a strong word, but it is definitely a call-to-action for christians to pull out of a pharisees-type, complacent mindset & lifestyle and to use our resources and our faith to bring change to the world around us.
on April 6, 2013
This book is worth rereading because it present some new and interesting ideas. It is well written and gives one a new perspective.
on November 23, 2012
This book is a must read if a person wants to be a biblical Christian and the church is to start being relevant in the world again. It is like Rob threaded miscellaneous beads on a string and the necklace appeared. This book will explain Scripture like it has not been explained in a church service and convict/challenge you to participate in the Kingdom on earth. Read this with Hugh Halter" "Sacrilege" and "Tangible Kingdom" and you will mourn all the years you have wasted for the Kingdom and jump-start your walk from this day forward. Don't read this book Jesus Wants to Save Christians: Learning to Read a Dangerous Bookif you don't want to be changed.
on January 26, 2016
Thought provoking but the writing style is melodramatic and creates this artificial sense of suspense through continuous periodic structure, similar to the tactics used in reality TV. I also find the overuse of Polysyndeton throughout to be childish and redundant and uninventive (see what I did there?). Despite this, I found the book to give me much to think about. So in the end I recommend the book more for what it might encourage within you than I do for its quality of prose.
on February 29, 2016
Rob inspires again! I enjoy Rob's writing style- it's the same as his speaking style. So his voice and emphasis come through. I can picture him emphasizing a point by waving his hands or walking quick toward me. This book is actually fun to read and though it has very challenging ideas to contemplate; it is fun to go though the process with Rob. To consider the simplicity of ministry. It's bringing heaven to earth whenever and wherever we notice we can. (like using the waiters name when we dine acknowledging they are a person not a nonentity). This book is an inspiring, bracing dose of spirit water. Thanks again Rob.