4.0 out of 5 stars Pretty Nice Little Machine
If you are a hobbyist with a limited budget as well as limited floor space, this machine should do the trick for you. If you are one of the minority with unlimited funds and space, you probably will want to look for a machine with more horsepower. The following is a breakdown of my experience with this little number.

First of all, I went with the 8 inch instead...
Published on September 7, 2009 by David Craig

3.0 out of 5 stars jointer ok, planer? --- now ok
I finally got this put together. Not too bad, except as others have noted, the assembly manual is poor, inlcuding the fact that the hardware mentioned in it is not what you get! A call to customer service and a review by a QC guy confirmed this.
Published on May 18, 2009 by P. Pierson

4.0 out of 5 stars Pretty Nice Little Machine, September 7, 2009
This review is from: Jet JJP-8BT 8-Inch Bench Top Jointer/Planer (Tools & Home Improvement)

First of all, I went with the 8 inch instead of the 10 inch because both seem to have the same motor. 2 inches might not seem like much, but the difference can be quite substantial when you are putting resistance to a motor. Jointers and planers have a relationship to each other. So, to me, it didn't really matter that I was losing a few inches in planing width since I would not be able to flatten a wider board on the jointer anyway.

The box arrived in good condition. There was no damage to the machine. I did have a torn bag of locknuts and washers. Some of these parts were probably littering the factory as I was missing a couple. Fortunately, I keep a supply of such items handy so was not a show stopper. I did spend a little bit of time looking for panhead screws that do not exist. There must have been a change since the instruction printing because hex bolts, not panheads, hold the blade guard to the machine.

I did have a notched blade and I can tell you that jet will be about the only company that carries them. They advertise the part in metric not fractional sizes. Because I was impatient, I ordered a set of Freud 1/8th blade thickness blades. The ones Jet carries are about 1/16th thick and seem rather flimsy to me. Some of this is probably due to the horse of the planer and there is less strain on a machine if the blades are thin. As it is, I probably will not take more than a 1/32 cut at a time due to the thickness of the blade. This of course leads to changing the blades and setting them.

Do yourself a favor if you order. Right when you get the box, open it, get your serial number and model number info and call Jet right off the bat. Ask them to email you a diagram for setting the outfeed table. These are not included in the instructions (though they should be). The outfeed table is adjustable and you can set it coplanar to the infeed table. It takes 5 minutes and will save you a nightmare in blade adjustments. Some of the bad reviews are pretty much related to poor performance based on the table not being coplanar. If you see poor cuts, this can be remedied. The box comes with a "jig" for setting the blades. The jig is just a rectangular, hollow, metal box that you use to set over the blade and the outfeed table to align the knives even with the table. Springs are located under the knives and they put pressure on them to elevate them. The box pushes the knives back down to a level spot so you can tighten them down. It is very important that both knives are completely level and at the same height to the table and with each other. If both tables are coplanar, this is not extremely difficult. You just have to keep moving the box from one side to the other and tighten the outer nuts slowly so that the blade doesn't tip and become uneven. If both tables are not coplanar, you may have a two day nightmare (speaking first hand) before the lightbulb comes on. On a good note, the difficulties taught me much about the machine and I feel quite comfortable with all the operations.

To summarize - The machine is decent, it will do what it is supposed to do. The manual is not so decent, but it is workable. Jet customer support is very good. You will get a human being who knows the machine and they can answer your questions and give you the help you need. If you want to stick with Jet blades, contact the customer service department to order. Trying to find them online is a red herring experience.

Hope this helps those that are considering or possibly those that already have the machine and are experiencing some issues.

3.0 out of 5 stars jointer ok, planer? --- now ok, May 18, 2009
This is my first machine of these types, and to me it works great as a jointer. Big problem with planer - I am getting horrible snipe! Adjusting the planer extension outfeed table would be a joke if it was not so frustratingly hard. Can't get it positioned right. Interesting that the manual says to adjust it slightly higher than the main table, while another reviewer (for the 10" model) recommended making it slightly lower! I'll work on the extension again and see if that is the problem.
The other problems noted by other reviewers did not show up in my machine.
5-19 UPDATE
Now have the planer working fine. I got some longer screws to make the extension table assembly easier to manage, and got it adjusted so that it was tilted up. Now planes very flat!
I would change my vote to 4 stars (4 1/2?) if the site would let me, but it won't. It is still only short of 5 because of the assembly problems.

4.0 out of 5 stars SO FAR, SO GOOD, February 21, 2009
D. S. Perrin (Conshohocken, PA United States) - See all my reviews
I managed to assemble this sturdy table-top unit (despite the substandard documentation.) Next, I ran a warped (it was cupped) piece of 14 in. x 5 and 1/2 in. x 7/16 in. aspen through the jointer operation 4 or 5 times at the 1/32 in setting.

The planer has a scale and pointer that indicates the distance between the planer table and the cutter head. I ran it through 4 or 5 times and now have a nice and flat 14 in. x 5 and 1/2 in. x ¼ in. piece.

For the jointer, send the work through using one of the two push blocks (included with the machine) in your left hand and a push stick in your right hand. Jet does not say this but my basic woodworking book said this is the best way (unless the piece is very thin to begin with.) I would not use just my hands except on a VERY thick work piece.

The fence seems strong and accurate and can be angled up to 45 degrees.

Jet tells you to move the wood through in the direction of the grain. It also states that the use of a 2 ½ in vacuum or 4 in. dust collector will greatly improve the results. Adaptors are included and the 2 and ½ in. exactly fit my 6.5 hp Shop Vac which picked up about 90 percent of the waste/shavings from the two operations.

My initial ratings are:

-Documentation---** (barely adequate)
-Packaging------**** (thick Styrofoam)
-Quality---------***** (so far)
-Value----------***** 2 in 1 table top ($329 free ship)
-Durability-------***** unknown so far
-Ease of Use-----*****
-Warranty-------**** (3 years but defective parts must be sent back pre-paid ship for replacement)

-Customer Support unknown for now, however:

I will soon find out the quality of support as one of the two thick 1/8 in. plastic casings was cracked, probably by UPS tossing it around on the way from Knoxville TN to Northern Pennsylvania. Fortunately the machine did not seem to suffer any other damage.

There were no Pan Head Machine Screws as the documentation stated but all screws and nuts need to be tightened with one of the 4 included allen wrenches and/or the included two-sided metric wrench. See the January 31 2009 review of the 10 inch model for more about assembly.

The cutter-head knives settings did not need to be adjusted (you use the included knife setting gauge to determine if it is set to the proper height)

I am off to the local sawmill for some rough lumber and. after a quick comparison between an on-line store's pre-planed and pre-jointed board-foot of ash ($11) and a rough one ($2) means this Jet should pay for itself in a short period of time even though I am just a DIYer. If it can handle rough lumber than I will be more than satisfied with this purchase. I will try and update this review after a few weeks.

5.0 out of 5 stars Awesome little machine, June 15, 2009
This little gem provides just the right tool to get the job done. Set up was easy, less then an hr. I take pallets apart and then plane/joint the wood. I have ran mass amounts of oak through this thing and as long as you take off just a little bit at a time it works great with no snipe or marks. It basically eliminates sanding, just awesome. It is loud, the front plastic housing was cracked upon arrival but doesn't do anything to the performance. Be sure you have some dust collection system ready, the Jet planer/jointer puts out some serious saw dust. The price is right at $336 for having both functions, I could not do what I do with out it. Great tool!!!!!!!

Update 2/11/10

Just reading over the reviews and I must say i still love my machine never had any issues like others are describing. Now its even cheaper then before...again 2 thumbs up 5 stars great machine!!!

4.0 out of 5 stars Looks Great So Far, April 11, 2009
Mark Doyle (Morristown, New Jersey USA) - See all my reviews
I bought this from Amazon and got it in three days. I haven't used it much but what I want to say is how great the JET customer support has been. Like one of the other reviewer, I noticed the front plastic cover had a small crack. I also found that the infeed and outfeed tables were not coplanar.

When I called JET customer support, I immediately got a live person, and they gave me to a live tech that discussed the problem with me and emailed me a procedure for adjusting the outfeed table (not in the manual). Following the procedure I got the tables aligned. The tech said it was probably rough handling during shipping that cause the problem, and I said yeah, the cover was cracked, and he replied that he'd send me a new cover too.

Otherwise, the unit looks well made, and I'm very happy so far.

3.0 out of 5 stars Decent machine, painful setup, April 8, 2010
As others have noted the assembly documentation is pretty bad. I think it took me an hour to assemble a few simple parts. After I finished assembling I also noticed that the infeed and outfeed tables weren't coplaner. Tech support was good and the guys sent me the short document on how to fix the problem (if you're buying this machine go ahead and request this document now). The procedure can be summed up as loosen the outfeed table and reef on it until it's coplaner then tighten it down. I was never able to make it fully coplaner but but by nearly doing a handstand on the end of the table I got it to within about 0.005" over 12" so close enough.

Unfortunately, the knife blades are set to the outfeed table so by moving the outfeed I had to reset the knife blade height. The knife blade height is supposed to be set by a pair of jack screws (the base of the blade rests on the screw heads) but the jack screws on this machine were too short to raise the blade to the proper height for the infeed table position. At this point I should have called tech support and asked for their advice but I'm 3 hours into setting up this thing, I have a stack of oak planks to joint and I'm not in the mood for human contact. Instead I lightly tightened the blade holder and tapped the blade to the correct position with a piece of soft maple. It took several tries for each blade but it was done.

The fence is cheap and slightly cupped but sturdy enough to hold boards in place and about what I'd expect for the price of the machine. After I got the machine set up it puts a great edge on a board which is exactly what I wanted. I don't intend to use the planer function so I can't comment on that.

Now that everything is set up I give it 4 stars for function. (To get 5 stars it would need a better fence and better adjustments on fence, and outfeed for level/parallel or come setup to begin with) Unfortunately, the setup hassle was pretty bad and the blade adjustment will continue to be painful until I replace the blades and get longer jack screws so I deducting one star (I debated deducting two) for that.

5.0 out of 5 stars Coplanar Adjustment, March 25, 2011
I purchased this jointer/planer last week and after several hours of setup, it seems like a great machine. The one problem that everyone has is the outfeed table adjustment. I'll paste the simple instructions below so you don't need to call the menufacturer. The front and back plastic cover panels need to be removed and the infeed table needs to be raised to the "0" position. Also, a long enough straight edge is needed to lie across the infeed and outfeed tables. This adjustment involves slightly loosening two of the bolts that hold the outfeed table in position and then pivoting the outfeed table slightly until it is coplanar with the infeed table. Then retighten the two screws.

Enjoy!

4.0 out of 5 stars it's taken some work, but I finally got it tuned., September 6, 2009
I didn't have any issues with the packing. It came in one piece and in good condition. Set up was fairly easy; I've done work on larger industrial equipment. I immediately noticed that the tables were not co-planer and the in-feed table had way too much play in it. There was no mention on how to shim the tables to correct this.

I removed the plastic sides and after some thought, shimmed the two spacers (on either side) that guide the adjusting rod on the first lock knob on the in-feed table with metal pieces so there was no play. The out-feed table was much easier, I loosened the socket head blots on either side and tilted the table so it was co-planer with the in-feed.

This little guy seems to fit my small shop needs. I surfaced and jointed 15 feet of mahogany with good results. I think that it's going to need TLC to keep it in running order; clearly it's not a production machine, but I wasn't expecting one.Jet JJP-8BT 8-Inch Bench Top Jointer/Planer

2.0 out of 5 stars A space saver, but just an OK tool, January 26, 2010
I ordered the combo based on the good reviews here and some other places. I also followed the suggestions and called JET for the diagram to adjust the outfeed table.

However, I simply could not set the infeed and outfeed table to be coplanar following the instructions. The front of the infeed table is higher than the back, making it to be in a "twisted" position relative to the outfeed table. As a results, I can only set the fence to be perpendicular to the outfeed table, not the infeed table. I called JET, and they suggested to loose some screws on the infeed table to make some more adjustments, but the adjustments I could do were so limited that I could not resolve the issue after several hours of trying.

I did try to joint some pieces of softwood. It produced a noticably twisted board. I suspect that this twist was caused by the misalignment of the tables.

I have not tried to use the machine as a planer yet ... (Edit: I just tried the planer function of the machine and the result is horrible. Obviously the planer table is not parallel to the cutting knives. As a result, the board surfaces are not parallel to each other. The difference is as much as 0.04" across a 6" wide board. I mentioned that JET has already agreed to send me another machine, and JET also did mention that I can play with the old one until the backordered new one comes. I think I can possibly adjust the planer table, but it will be a tedious process for sure, as I have to lift the machine to connect or disconnect the table height adjustment linkage ... I adjusted my rating to 2 stars, and the 2 stars are purely for JET's tech service.)

The machine has very small footprint, which makes it a good addition to my small hobby workshop. I would recommend you to think about whether you have time to adjust the machine and whether you can live with something that can not be adjusted to the way you expected before you buy this machine.

UPDATE: I called JET tech support again today and finally they admit that the twist cannot be adjusted. I do agree with other reviewers here that JET's customer/tech service is very good. They offered to send me another machine and placed the order for me right away. Hope this will help you to make your decision ...

4.0 out of 5 stars Good bang for the buck, April 7, 2010
This little combination jointer and thickness planer is actually a pretty good purchase. I have an extremely small (10'x16') shop and there is no way I have room for a seperate jointer and thickness planner. If I had the room I would buy two machines, but since I don't this benchtop combo fits my needs. It took probably an hour to set eveything up and get it going. The jointer fence was not square, but a couple of thin shims fixed that.

It takes about 10 minutes start to finish to change from the planer mode to the jointer mode, mainly because of changing the dust collector. By the way, a dust/chip collector is an abosolute must.

This biggest negative about the machine is that it is EXTREMELY loud. Ear protection is a must; it, When it is runniing, coupled with a dust collector running, it is deafining.

The little machine actually does a pretty good job planing and jointing. I would reccommend it if you have a very small shop.

Jet JJP-8BT 8-Inch Bench Top Jointer/Planer