- Hardcover: 882 pages
- Publisher: KTAV Publishing House; First Edition edition (June 1, 1992)
- Language: English
- ISBN-10: 0881252972
- ISBN-13: 978-0881252972
- Product Dimensions: 1.8 x 7.2 x 10.2 inches
- Shipping Weight: 3.6 pounds
- Average Customer Review: 3.3 out of 5 stars See all reviews (3 customer reviews)
- Amazon Best Sellers Rank: #2,933,579 in Books (See Top 100 in Books)
Enter your mobile number or email address below and we'll send you a link to download the free Kindle App. Then you can start reading Kindle books on your smartphone, tablet, or computer - no Kindle device required.
To get the free app, enter your email address or mobile phone number.
Jewish Family Names and Their Origins: An Etymological Dictionary First Edition Edition
Use the Amazon App to scan ISBNs and compare prices.
Customers Who Viewed This Item Also Viewed
More About the Author
Top Customer Reviews
But the print quality is somehow dissapointing. I think it is the reprint of the 1992 edition but scanning done badly.
Anyone trying to determine the origin of Jewish family names will know how difficult it is to find high quality and relevant information. This is THE best reference available for two criteria:
- extremely complete set of names. I am sure that some won't find the ones they are looking for, but they will be few and far between;
- high quality research on etymologies. So far I have found only one whose origin I am not convinced of (I am very difficult to please on data quality btw)
There are several other, much cheaper, resources that are available. None of them are even close to providing matching quality for their data. I drive 90 miles one way, about once a year, to consult this volume in a library (at a price of about $250-$500 I am not quite willing to purchase it). You might want to be picky about a specific definition, or about the quality of the printing, but I don't know how you can give less than 5 stars for a book which (a) is the best available, and (b) provides high quality information.