Truck Month Textbook Trade In Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it Mudcrutch Father's Day Gift Guide 2016 Fire TV Stick Get Ready for Summer and Save 15% The Baby Store Shop now Amazon Cash Back Offer LoveandFriendship LoveandFriendship LoveandFriendship  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis Outdoor Recreation Learn more

VINE VOICEon April 3, 2009
I really enjoyed this powerful little book, Jill Spiegel's energy and enthusiasm really could be felt while reading it. She does a great job showing her readers how to talk with people, meet new people, handle passive aggressive types, gossipers, and braggarts in a way that makes you both walk away feeling good. One of her magic formulas: compliment-feedback-compliment.
Example,for a gossiper:
"No I did not notice how tight Anne's dress was, but I did notice your beautiful new hair cut. I really like Anne's smile. Who did such a great job on your hair?"

Jill encourages us to think positive thoughts and send out positive mind messages to ourselves and others. It works! Negativity does not lead to anything positive.

What you will learn about:
Nine ways to start a conversation:
The simple introduction.
Say something positive.
Pay a compliment
Ask a question.
Refer to your surroundings
"You remind me of....."
Admit you are nervous.
Be creative and meaningful.
Joining a group in progress.
Rejection means a miracle is on its way.

Four ways to build a conversation.
Share information about yourself.
Keep a journal or a topic list.
Share and tell.
The magic answer to "What do you do"?

After you read this book your social intelligence will increase!
on April 2, 2009
Jill Spiegel's book, HOW TO TALK TO ANYONE ABOUT ANYTHING is a godsend to everyone from all walks of life, as it helps us learn how we can open conversations, keep them going, and make positive uplifting exits. I love all kinds of people, and care about how others are feeling, yet for most of my childhood and young adult life I have felt very shy about talking with people I don't know.

I love the way HOW TO TALK TO ANYONE ABOUT ANYTHING is such a slender volume, yet somehow manages to be jam-packed with memorable and useful information readers can put to use immediately. As I read each chapter with mounting excitement, I found myself wondering, "Why isn't any of this priceless information taught in our schools?" It became abundantly clear to me after trying just a few of Jill Spiegel's tips that my life is moving to a whole new level of fun, joy and abundance as I gain skill and confidence talking with everyone I meet.

I am especially impressed with the way HOW TO TALK TO ANYONE ABOUT ANYTHING encourages us to converse smoothly about topics we really love, sharing our enthusiasm with others. Jill Spiegel shows us how much more fun, exciting and interesting conversations can be when we share the aspects of life we genuinely enjoy the most.

I give this book my highest recommendation... this should be required reading for everyone, everywhere!
VINE VOICEon March 22, 2009
I must first say that my friends and colleagues may classify me as cynical or even a curmudgeon. That being said, I was somewhat turned off by the yippity and constant positivism of the book's voice. While I was not overly impressed with the detail of the book, this is one of those books that really screams common sense at every corner, if only we stopped to think about our personal connections once in a while.

In a world of self fulfillment, instant access, and instant gratification this book could be very helpful for those who have difficulty conversing in real time instead of over AIM, text messages, and other such communication devices.

The content is presented simply, and is very easy to follow and understand. There are countless examples of people who attended Jill's seminar. It is a quick read and should provide a good starting point for people looking to improve their communication skills.

My only complaint (besides the eternal optimism which makes everything seem almost unrealistic) is the formatting of the book. There is tons of white space, a very large font, and no chapter headings. The book seems bloated since there is relatively little substance or great detail about each section and tip.

All in all, a decent introduction. This book could have used an extra hundred pages (at the least), more detailed examples, and better formatting. As with many "self help" books, it is simply common sense spoken in a way anyone can understand.

J.Stoner
on March 22, 2009
This booklet was OK. It was well written and well organized. But the print was kind of large. The pages had a lot of white. And the page count was kind of low at 110. My gut reaction after finishing my reading was that there was some good content included, but the tome was little more than a mere outline of what could have been a good book. Take a look at the Search Inside feature Amazon provides for this booklet where you can see the Table of Contents (TOC). You'll be able to see that the point headings in the TOC rarely covered in more than 2 or 3 pages. In fact, you can skim the TOC for free and probably get most of what you need out of the book without even buying it.

We are told that this booklet is a write-up of a popular seminar the author has presented for a number of years. I assume this to be true, but if it is, then there should have been a ton of information gathered while presenting those seminars that could (and should) have been included to morph the outline into at least a 230 page book. Unfortunately we didn't get that ton of info in this booklet. One book that I thoroughly enjoyed that started as a seminar and later become a book is "Beyond Fundraising" (ISBN: 9780471707134). Why couldn't the instant booklet being reviewed have turned out as nice? Oh well. :(

I have opted to read and review the instant book being reviewed because I think it has something to add to a few other books that I believe are important when it comes to running a small business. The first of which I would like to mention is "Make Your Contacts Count" (ISBN: 9780814474020). It's a networking and self promotion book that I believe every consultant, coach, or similar professional should have, study, and adopt. But it is not a book on how to communicate. Whereas the instant book being reviewed and a few other good books are. "The It Factor" (ISBN: 9780814474372) highlights how a networker becomes successful at networking by being an active listener when diving into a conversation. "The Definitive Book of Body Language" (ISBN: 9780553804720) highlights how a networker becomes successful at networking by being aware of his or her body language so they will turn people on rather than off. Likewise, "How to Talk to Anyone about Anything" (ISBN: 9780964332577) highlights how a networker becomes successful at networking by being aware of "mind messages" so they will appear positive and turn people on rather than off. And then there is the classic tome by Dale Carnegie entitled "How to Win Friends and Influence People" (ISBN: 9780671027032) that covers everything (and more) that these last three cited books cover.

If the instant book being reviewed were a full book similar to "Beyond Fundraising," then I would have given it a 5-star rating. And if it had somehow packed more meat on its skeletal outline and reached a legitimate 175-page count, then I would have given it a 4-star rating. But since all we really get in this booklet is a quality outline on its subject matter with little meat I can only muster something lower than 4-stars. 3 stars!
on November 7, 2011
I bought this book for my sister (she's incredibly shy) and have seen the result firsthand. She's a lot more outgoing, can start conversations easier and maintain the flow, and in general is a lot more positive to talk to. It not only taught her the subtleties of conversations but also gave her a bit of confidence as well. Very well done!
on April 26, 2015
It's purely because of this book that I can write this review without cringing and having a panic attack.

But seriously, this book was so good that my dad took it from me when he saw on laying on my floor and read it twice. Helped him a lot too because he said he did a lot of the things that the book talked about as being negative behaviors towards others. It was incredibly positive, almost to a fault, but it was a good book to read if you have issues with judgement or negativity or just want to learn how to be a better conversationalist.
on December 28, 2012
Now I don't want to sound like a negative person that Jill tells you how to "heal with kindness", but the examples in this book sound ridiculously fake. If you have any doubt in that, just watch her YouTube videos.. Actually you can skip paying for this book and just watch her videos because she literally reads the book word for word in an unrealistic tone which actually sounds like shes being sarcastic. The ideas in the book are pretty basic and something that everyone knows but don't usually apply to everyday life when not thinking about it. Having the desire to read the book at all makes you automatically more conscious of the conversation rules, so for someone who is painfully shy or just needs to remind themselves how to help convos flow this could work for you. I read this in about an hour, its really short, and I really didn't love the tone, I kind of felt like she was speaking to me like I was kindergartner. Maybe I'm a negative Nancy, but I didn't get much use out of this book.. Jill would say that I should try to think more positive "mind messages".
on December 4, 2012
I purchased this book thinking it was another and decided to read it anyway. My goal is simply to be able to carry a conversation with anyone. I found the book to extremely upbeat and overly positive to the point of near nausea, but that may largely be due to the fact that I'm a rather cynical person.
I also didn't realize that there was only 109 pages (kindle) with lots of white space and large text. I believe that the author could have elongated the points that she makes.
Most of the ideas and suggestions that the author shares and speaks about were rather common sense, in my mind.
I have a friend that this book might be good for because she has a very difficult time speaking with and meeting new people. Yet i couldn't in good conscious let her spend money on this book. Because, I'm left wanting my $9.99 back.
on December 17, 2008
Jill Spiegel's How To Talk To Anyone About Anything!
Jill Spiegel's confident and bubbly personality comes through as she shares her tips and secrets on connecting with people. When finished with the book, you are left with the feeling that you too, no matter how shy you may be, can easily learn to comfortably engage with people.

The book is written in a straightforward and easy to follow format. The intent of each chapter is clearly stated, and is followed by steps and examples which guide you in implementing that particular point.

Topics covered include how to start a conversation, how to build a conversation, ways to maintain connections and conversation savers.

I highly recommend this book for anyone wanting to learn more about connecting with people!
Harmony,
Janet
on April 3, 2010
Jill's book gives us all encouragement, motivation, and ideas on how to overcome any communications issues. While we may not always get the reactions we were hoping for, that shouldn't deter us. I think Ms. Spiegel's book is a breath of fresh air, and I thank her for inspiring me (and others, I'm sure!). :-)