5,004 Reviews
 (3,547)

3,349 of 3,438 people found the following review helpful
5.0 out of 5 stars WOW! Amazing!
Published on March 28, 2008 by mcel

2,254 of 2,364 people found the following review helpful
3.0 out of 5 stars I wish there were more workouts in this DVD
Published on May 27, 2008 by M. Curtis

3,349 of 3,438 people found the following review helpful
5.0 out of 5 stars WOW! Amazing!, March 28, 2008
This review is from: Jillian Michaels - 30 Day Shred (DVD)
I had never purchased a Jillian Michaels DVD before b/c of the hit or miss reviews. So when I heard raves about this one, I decided to give it a shot and I am so glad I did. This is an absolute butt-kicker workout. I am an intermediate/advanced exerciser (I work out 5-6 days a week) so I figured I could see what Level 1 was all about and move onto Level 2 right away. Listen to me folks--these workouts are HARD. Level 2 was VERY difficult--a good difficult though, very challenging. When Jillian tells you to start at level 1, listen to her she knows what she's doing. I've been at this for about 5 days, and I already feel a difference in my body.
Jillian is tough--absolutely NO rest in this workout (not even for a sip of water) but that's what makes it go by so quickly, and it makes your body change, according to Jillian. You're done before you know it--but by the end you've gotten a kick butt workout and feel like you've really done something. She bases her workout on the 3-2-1 method: 3 mins strength, 2 mins cardio, 1 min abs. Her strength circuits remind me of Jari Love--compound exercises that work the upper and lower body simultaneously. The cardio is good as well: a lot of jumping, so watch those knees (she has a modifier for beginner and lower impact) And the abs is straight up ab work--a variety of crunches and twists on the floor.
This is a great workout and I find Jillian to be tough but she's pretty likeable. Be warned though: she's no-nonsense. I think it's funny when during the stretch she admits she's not flexible and struggles to reach her legs on the floor. I thought "Ha, Ha, finally something I'm better at than Jillian!" lol
If you really want to get a good workout and to jumpstart your weight loss get this DVD you will not be disappointed. It's great for those who are short on time too and want to try something new; every workout is just under 30 mins!

2,254 of 2,364 people found the following review helpful
3.0 out of 5 stars I wish there were more workouts in this DVD, May 27, 2008
This review is from: Jillian Michaels - 30 Day Shred (DVD)
First off, I would give it 3 ˝ stars. I've only done level one but it is a good, very intense work out. I felt great afterwards. Also, I really like the trainer. She motivated me to push my hardest to try and finish each exercise, which sometimes I couldn't do (and I consider myself to be in good shape). My biggest complaint about the DVD is that you are told to start with level 1 and then progress up to level 2, then level 3. But there is only one level 1 workout, one level 2 workout and one level 3 workout. As a result, you are doing the same workout every day until you can move up a level. This can get boring. In addition, you are working the same tired and sore muscles that you worked the day before. My other complaints are a bit petty: the music is terrible and you can't skip through some of the beginning stuff. As stated above, the workouts are great and extremely challenging but I wouldn't use this DVD alone.

**********************************************************
UPDATE:

I would now give this video 5 stars. One of the comments to my review suggested that I don't wait to move up in levels, rather, I could do each level so that I am not doing the same workout again and again. THANK YOU to that person. I am now switching around levels and I love it. Level 2 and 3 are harder but I follow the "easier" version of most of the exercises and make modifications to some of the aerobic exercises that may be too hard (or that I just may not like). This is now my favorite DVD. I love it because it is hard enough to actually replace the gym... and in only 25 min.

5.0 out of 5 stars This workout was a turning point in my life!, July 1, 2014
This review is from: Jillian Michaels - 30 Day Shred (DVD)
I first began working out to the 30 Day Shred a year ago today, but never got around to leaving a review for some reason. Since I truly believe this DVD is a game changer, especially for beginners, as well as it being my "anniversary" today, I felt it was now fitting to finally leave a review for this awesome workout.

First some context...I am a 33 year old Asian female who has been a bit overweight for most of my adult life. I didn't weigh myself before I began my exercise journey, but I believe I was close to 160 lbs. and wore XL most of the time. However, I am not the stereotypical petite Asian as I am about 5'6, so the extra pounds on me were not too bad looking, except for the fact that I had a belly! I think this was due mostly to the fact that I never worked out before the 30 Day Shred (except for gym classes in school) and poor diet choices; I do shift work so I often ate again after work around midnight and eating chips and instant noodles weren't helping either. Also, I suffered from low self esteem for a long time, so I was also guilty of "emotional eating", eating when I wasn't really that hungry but just to feel better.

The turning point for me was in 2012 when I went on a date and the guy (whom I met online) told me blatently, "You would be a 10 in the looks dept. if it weren't for your excess weight!". I was crushed beyond belief, and afterwards when I got home, I took a long look at myself in the mirror and told myself that I had enough, and I was sick of being fat as well as constantly being told that I am (you see, I also had a lot of co-workers who were rude enough to often "remind" me that I am fat!). So I considered buying a certain popular home gym but when I found out it was beyond my budget and hard to set up, I gave up and thought about joining my local gym. So I went in for a trial period, but I was lost as to what I should be doing or even how, and I was told that I needed to set up time with staff just to be acquainted with those machines! What's worse, I was hounded by the sales there about membership fees as well as getting a personal trainer, since I was a newbie! I couldn't afford all that and just going to the gym seemed like a hassle to me, so I walked out, and felt bad as I really wanted to get in shape! But as I was leaving the gym, I saw a poster in there with Jillian's pic advertising her "Shred" classes and a lightbulb went inside my head! I could workout at home to a DVD!

So I asked one of my online friends, who is a personal trainer, about working out at home and she told me that it was indeed possible; I just needed a mat and some weights, for exercises like squats, lunges, etc. I told her that my biggest concern was to shed fat, so she recommended that I focus on cardio. I went to Ebay, and just punched in "cardio dvd" in the search box, and I saw Jillian's 30 Day Shred and Denise Austin's Cardio DVD at first glance, and I decided to buy both, just to see which I liked better. I started Denise's first, but she just seemed to annoy me (no offence to Denise fans) and it was a bit dancey for me....so I tried Jillian's next; since it was called the 30 Day Shred, I decided to start at the beginning of the next month, which was July 1, 2013. Prior to starting it, I read a lot of rave reviews online about the Shred, so I decided it was worth a shot!

On the first day of level 1, I remember wanting to die!! So many jumping jacks! I felt out of breath within 10 mins but I didn't want to give up. Jillian's legendary motivation got me through it, although I was incredibly sore afterwards. BTW, I never heard of The Biggest Loser before this workout, so I didn't know anything about Jillian beforehand. I did each level for 10 days each, but I remember also doing level 3 on the 31st as well. I did the Shred for the actual 31 days straight with no rest days, which in hindsight, is sorta crazy now! I just kept plugging away everyday for that month and I was shocked when co-workers started asking me if I was losing weight within 2 weeks, I guess when I was into level 2, as I did sweat the most during level 2 and it was a big step up from level 1! I also remember my clothes feeling a bit looser during the halfway point. I was just amazed that I saw results so soon and without following a strict diet; I just tried to eat sensibly and had a protein shake after my workouts, so perhaps that helped to curb my appetite a bit!

As you can guess, I was pretty pleased with the quick results of this workout at the end of that month, so I quickly ordered a few other Jillian DVDs, Ripped in 30 was my next one. I knew that this was the beginning of the "new" me, and my self confidence grew day by day as well. I didn't weigh myself at all for fear of being demotivated by the number on the scale. Instead, I went by what I saw in the mirror as well as my clothes getting looser as days went by. I couldn't believe that I could achieve such results with a DVD that didn't break the bank! This might sound bizarre, since a lot of people have commented on how Natalie "cheats" in Jillian's DVDs, but I found Anita and Natalie to be quite inspirational during the workouts for some reason. I also didn't think the music was that bad either! Level 2 was my fave and now my go to when I am in a pinch, sometimes level 3, but I now hardly break out a sweat during level 1, which tells you a lot!

In the past year, I have become a big Jillian fan and now also have Yoga Meltdown, BFBM, NMTZ, Hard Body, and Killer Buns and Thighs (which also feature Anita and Natalie!) and I plan on getting her other ones in the near future. I now rotate all of these DVDs throughout the week but have found that since I have gotten stronger and fitter in the year since I started the Shred, I now prefer the longer workouts like BFBM, which has boosted my results since it's pure cardio. But when I am in a time crunch, I will do the Shred! This workout will always have a soft spot in my heart because it was the first workout I ever did! I owe it to Jillian for all these awesome results, since I now wear a S. I love everything about her instructional style! Yes, even her "constant chatter", as it motivates me and I love her quotes as well...."When you get stronger physically, it will transcend into every other facet of your life" comes to mind. Jillian is a godsend for the home exerciser!

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic results!, October 16, 2014
This review is from: Jillian Michaels - 30 Day Shred (DVD)
This really was a fantastic workout to start with. I did the workouts 6 days a week, making sure all days added up to 30 (so I went for over a month, when you count the days off). I did not change my diet; I did not change anything. As a natural consequence, I drank more water. I bought her Master Your Metabolism book; and I made sure I took 20 minutes a day to do this. I wrote about my results (with pictures) at bigserious.hubpages.com.

I recommend a few things: drink water; never work out on an empty stomach; you don't have to keep up, just keep moving. What you struggle with in week one is easy by week four. It's really fun. And TAKE PICTURES. My pant size did not change; my weight did not change. But if you look at the photos, it's quite clear my body changed. So don't trust numbers! Take pictures! Have fun!

1,349 of 1,639 people found the following review helpful
5.0 out of 5 stars WOW! YIKES! JILLIAN KICKS YOUR [...], April 2, 2008
This review is from: Jillian Michaels - 30 Day Shred (DVD)
Ok, if you're like me (overweight and unmotivated) and watch The Biggest Loser and wish you could be one of the contestants and have Jillian train you then you're in luck! Buy this DVD! I just received the dvd today and did the First Level today. It's been 2 and 1/2 hours since I finished and I'm still shaking and finding it hard to go up and down stairs. I can't even imagine what she puts those poor contestants through..LOL!

I have knee pains and feet pains and usually just walk at 3mph on my treadmill. Well, suffice to say I'm not seeing any weight loss. And let me be honest the real reason I have knee and feet problems is because I weigh too much. So I did the full on jumping jacks..no modified jumping jacks in this workout...Jillian tells you straight, she has 400lb people doing full jumping jacks, you can too! And she was right. I sure as heck can't really do the push ups but I'm sure that I will be able to eventually if I keep doing this dvd everyday for 20 minutes.

And she's right, you can't do a workout for 20 minutes and expect it to be easy...you want easy, don't get this dvd. You want to sweat and really workout get this dvd!

I'm 5'4'' and 168 lbs. I will let you know my progress in my comments as time goes on. Good luck to everyone!

5.0 out of 5 stars What do you have to lose? Oh yeah... INCHES!, June 21, 2010
This review is from: Jillian Michaels - 30 Day Shred (DVD)
I just completed Day 30 of the 30 Day Shred. I did it every day, for the complete 30 days.

Let me tell you: It was worth it! I had put on about 10 lbs that I really wanted to lose... which doesn't sound like much, but when you're only 5' tall, 10 lbs REALLY makes a difference.

I didn't take measurements, (I was too fed up with myself,) but I went from a size 7 back down to my regular size 2.

I feel so much better, and so proud for completing the 30 Day Shred. I'm way more toned, happier, and no longer hiding in baggy clothes.

I would recommend this DVD to EVERYONE!!

5.0 out of 5 stars From Skeptical to Skinny :-), September 29, 2010
This review is from: Jillian Michaels - 30 Day Shred (DVD)
Seven months ago, I was 40-50 pounds overweight, with a 50th birthday looming. I'd spent 1000+ $$ and many hours on gym memberships, and lost not an inch or an ounce. I had given up and become a total couch potato for over a year. Then I go to Wal-Mart, and in desperation, pick up the Jillian Michaels 30-Day Shred for $9.98. I force myself through workout level 1 and can barely move (literally!) for three days. But that birthday is still looming... So back to the Shred video, this time taking it a little easier. I loved Jillian's style--smart and sassy, not cute and annoying like so many others.

Within just a couple weeks, things started tightening and firming up; my clothes got looser. I stayed on level one for months, and combined the workout with a better style of eating (lots more veggies and salads, occasional green smoothies; avoiding gluten since I think I may be sensitive) and by mid-June, I had gone from 178 to a fit 138, for a total loss of 40 lbs. Mind you, I still ate my fill of dark chocolate every day, and never felt deprived at all. If I occasionally fell off the wagon, I just climbed back on and started again. By the way, I never have gotten used to the level 3 workout, so you can tell I'm not some naturally buff athlete, just a formerly overweight mom of 7.

This DVD works, people! I can hardly believe the changes in my body since February. I feel like a teenager again, and people tell me I look fantastic. I've never been a fitness-DVD fan, though I've tried many, but Jillian's style just really motivates me. I roll out of bed, get dressed and do the workout right in my bedroom. The best part is I've formed new habits that are permanent; I have NO DESIRE to go back to my couch potato/junk food lifestyle ever again. I feel like a completely different person now.

Don't listen to the nay-sayers; you can do this at any age, and your body will respond big-time. Going from a size 16-18 pants to a size 6-8 proved to me that we really can re-invent ourselves. Next week, this former couch potato is running a 5K race at 50 years old. Oh, yeah!! Thank you, Jillian! :-)

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Starter DVD, March 23, 2009
This review is from: Jillian Michaels - 30 Day Shred (DVD)
I am 32 years old and struggle with high blood pressure and I'm over weight about 50 lbs because I'm only 5 feet 2 inches. My doctor recommended for me to start exercising or I would have to be on the high blood pressure pill. I had a baby 2 yrs ago and I've been too lazy to work out lying to myself that the baby weight would eventually come off. Nope....still got those baby weights. So I went and did some research and bought this DVD just to try it out because I heard it's only 20 minutes of workout and that includes warm up and cool down.

At first I was really skeptical about this DVD. Thinking how can this work? Will it be too hard for me since I NEVER exercise? At first, it was hard for a beginner. The cardio moves was too hard for me to keep up. So I did slow down and got a drink of water. So for the first day, I could not do the full 20 minutes. I woke up feeling my legs and arms burn so badly I could not walk up the stairs at work. I haven't had this feeling for a looonnnng time and I must be nuts but I felt great knowing it works!!!

So I gave it another go 2 days later. This time....(ha!) I did the entire video including the cardio and I sweat like crazy!! I really did feel great! After 2 weeks into this video (it's not a miracle DVD so I had to eat right too) I lost a total of 6 lbs and noticed my clothes feels better. I went and bought her other DVD's too. Now I alternate between her No more Trouble Zone when I don't feel like doing so much Cardio to this one. I lost a total of 20lbs in 2 months and my abs and arms looks great. It's only March, I'm confident that if I keep this up, I will at least feel great by summer!!! So for someone who cannot afford the gym (Like me) who also has a toddler at home (like me) who never exercised before (like me) who wants to do a short intense workout (like me) who wants to see results fast (like me).....I strongly recommend this DVD!!! I hope this helps you since it helped me!!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Yikes!!!, July 7, 2008
This review is from: Jillian Michaels - 30 Day Shred (DVD)
I have never in my life gotten results like I have with Jillian's 30 Day Shred!!! I stumbled across her videos on my "On Demand" menu from Comcast and have been addicted ever since! All that was available on my TV was the phase 2 and 3, so I actually never even saw phase 1 when I started :0

I am not in the best shape in the world. I used to play sports but have not in the last 7 years. I am only about 10 lbs overweight but am looking to lose about 20 lbs and to completely tone up.

So... I get my mat and my weights out, (I use 3 pounders), and start phase 2. Umm ya, I thought I was going to DIE!! This is a really intense workout but I did however stick with the full 20 minutes. You do really have to push yourself, Jillian says that your body can not adapt to what you want it to do if you do not push it! I do not think I have ever sweated that much in my life!

Yes there are some basic moves in this seris but I have to say that they are pretty darn effective. I did 6 straight days of phase 2 and got increasingly better with each passing day. (Do not get me wrong, I still sweated up a storm and wanted to quit). After those 6 days I had only lost about 2 lbs but I could see a MAJOR difference in my body. My arms were firmer, my abs felt tighter, my love handles were a little smaller, my legs were stronger and my back... oh the best part, my back was ripped! People were also telling me my face was thinner! My clothes also were fitting better and even feeling a little loose.

I had to take a week off which sucked, but I ordered the DVD and it is just fantastic. I started back up again and never bothered to look at phase 1 since I can already do phase 2. I also have only WATCHED phase 3 and have yet to actually do it but it looks hella intense!

I see no problem doing part of this video everyday. Just listen to your body and be responsible, you know its limits. I actually had very minimal pain and that is what led me to do it everyday; I was barely sore at all!

I have tried many things to get in shape but nothing, absolutely nothing, has given me results like this!

Please do not forget that with any exercise program you must incorporate a healthy diet. If you want results you have to make sacrifices. In a world drenched in fast greasy foods, oversized portions and processed garbage galore it is hard to make good choices. Do your best to eat out less, to cook more healthful meals, to use lots of fruits, veggies, and whole grains, to drink a minimal amount of alcohol and to try and drink a lot of water.

You can do it! Commit! I really mean it! You have to give it your all!

Good luck and I will keep you posted, I am doing 30 straight days!!

0_o

lol :)

5.0 out of 5 stars I <3 JILLIAN MICHAELS! And so will you..., January 28, 2009
This review is from: Jillian Michaels - 30 Day Shred (DVD)
I cannot say enough to recommend this video. Really. It is the most effective, most challenging, and yet completely motivating workout I have ever done. (And I've done a few.) It is completely brilliant- a 20 minutes workout that actually kicks your butt; the length of the workout really makes you feel like you have got to push yourself and get through it, because you tell yourself, who can't do 20 minutes? Psychologically, it really makes you want to finish, and finish strong.

And it pays dividends. If you're anything like me, I couldn't even do the video for 2 days after the first time I did it because I was just too sore. But in the best way, that I-really-got-a-serious-workout kind of way. Very satisfying. In under 30 minutes!

I love Jillian on The Biggest Loser, and she has the very same no-nonsense approach on the video that she uses on the ranch, and I think it really does push you. She tells it like it is- "If you are looking for a modification on jumping jacks... look elsewhere. I'm not going to give that to you, I have 400 pound people doing them on the ranch, and I know you can do this," "I'm not gonna let you cheat. I know this is hard work. If we are promising you big things, we have to deliver." And she's right. If we're really trying to get a workout in 23 minutes or whatever it is, she's really got to make it hard to get results. But it works, and it's worth it.

I have read several of the other reviews on here, and I would like to respond to some of the negative points that people have brought up:

-The intro to the video cannot be fast forwarded, so you actually have 2 or 3 minutes of Jillian talking at the beginning of the DVD that adds time to your workout without adding any action. OK, it is a bit annoying. But USE THIS TIME WISELY, by running in place or any other light cardio activity to extend the warm-up time. The video only gives a minute or two for your warm up, and trust me, you will need a little more than that to prepare your muscles for what's coming.

-The workout is too challenging/not challenging enough... That's crazy. It is what you make of it. If you think it's too hard, modify - I didn't use weights the first few times I did it, because you don't want to shock your body by doing too much too soon. Give yourself time to get used to the motions and the workout before you add weights if you are a beginner. If you think it's not hard enough or you are not getting enough burn in the strength training segments, you need to add more weight, or, considering this is just a 20 minute workout, alternate days doing this DVD as good cardio and doing a more in-depth 30 minute strength training segment the next day. There is no reason this DVD cannot be a staple in your routine, no matter your fitness level. It is an undeniably effective 20 minute workout. Make it work for you.

-It's too high-impact. OK, there is a lot of jumping. That's because jumping is wildly effective at burning calories. Again, 20 minute workout, it has to be as challenging as possible. You could cheat, and take it a little easier on your knees, but you will be sacrificing intensity. If you KNOW you have bad knees or arthritis and you still want a great workout, buy a mini trampoline for the jumping segments. You won't be able to fully extend your legs to the side in the jumping jack sections, but you will still be able to jump and reduce a lot of the impact. My arthritic mother, who I bought a copy of this DVD for, did that and it worked perfectly for her.

-Not enough warm-up/cool-down. Come on, people. Did you really think that you can get a warm up, decent workout, and cool-down in 20 minutes flat? Let's manage our expectations a little bit. It is 20 minutes. You will need to add a couple of minutes to the warm up, I addressed that earlier, just begin your warm up during the intro part of the DVD that you can't fast-forward through. The cool down/stretching segment is also not long enough to really stretch everything you just hammered during the video. Turn the DVD off, and do some additional stretches for another 5 or 10 minutes. Even if you add to the warm up and the cool down, you're at about 35 minutes for a great, complete, body-rocking workout. That is not unreasonable, especially considering most people would spend almost that much time in the car driving to and from the gym. (Where you would have to work out much longer than 20 minutes to get the kind of full-body workout that Jillian delivers here.)

The bottom line: It costs less than half of a monthly gym membership at even the most affordable gym, you can completely modify it to work for you, it is 20 minutes long and you do it in the comfort of your own home so you really have no excuses not to get it done, and it delivers like Domino's. You will see and feel a difference faster than you thought possible, and the soreness in your muscles will let you know real quick that you are doing something effective.

Jillian knows what she is doing, and she will get you results. It is well worth the price and it absolutely makes the most out of every single second you spend doing it. What more could you ask for?!

Jillian Michaels - 30 Day Shred
Jillian Michaels - 30 Day Shred by Andrea Ambandos (DVD - 2008)
$14.98 $7.49