Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: Jillian Michaels - 30 Day Shred
Your Garage botysf16 Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it $5 Albums Explore Premium Audio Fire TV Stick Sun Care Patriotic Picks Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer AnnedroidsS3 AnnedroidsS3 AnnedroidsS3  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis UniOrlando Segway miniPro

Format: DVD|Change

on September 29, 2010
Seven months ago, I was 40-50 pounds overweight, with a 50th birthday looming. I'd spent 1000+ $$ and many hours on gym memberships, and lost not an inch or an ounce. I had given up and become a total couch potato for over a year. Then I go to Wal-Mart, and in desperation, pick up the Jillian Michaels 30-Day Shred for $9.98. I force myself through workout level 1 and can barely move (literally!) for three days. But that birthday is still looming... So back to the Shred video, this time taking it a little easier. I loved Jillian's style--smart and sassy, not cute and annoying like so many others.

Within just a couple weeks, things started tightening and firming up; my clothes got looser. I stayed on level one for months, and combined the workout with a better style of eating (lots more veggies and salads, occasional green smoothies; avoiding gluten since I think I may be sensitive) and by mid-June, I had gone from 178 to a fit 138, for a total loss of 40 lbs. Mind you, I still ate my fill of dark chocolate every day, and never felt deprived at all. If I occasionally fell off the wagon, I just climbed back on and started again. By the way, I never have gotten used to the level 3 workout, so you can tell I'm not some naturally buff athlete, just a formerly overweight mom of 7.

This DVD works, people! I can hardly believe the changes in my body since February. I feel like a teenager again, and people tell me I look fantastic. I've never been a fitness-DVD fan, though I've tried many, but Jillian's style just really motivates me. I roll out of bed, get dressed and do the workout right in my bedroom. The best part is I've formed new habits that are permanent; I have NO DESIRE to go back to my couch potato/junk food lifestyle ever again. I feel like a completely different person now.

Don't listen to the nay-sayers; you can do this at any age, and your body will respond big-time. Going from a size 16-18 pants to a size 6-8 proved to me that we really can re-invent ourselves. Next week, this former couch potato is running a 5K race at 50 years old. Oh, yeah!! Thank you, Jillian! :-)
66 comments|592 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on April 22, 2012
At the beginning of March 2012 I hit an all-time high of 164 lbs. I was unhappy and I was stuck. I had stopped eating the junk food and I had cut out soda and barely consumed any alcohol but I wasn't exercising. So I looked into this video and it was one of the best things I could have ever done. I finished the 10 days of level 3 about a week and a half ago. I'm now down to 144 so 20 lbs. are gone! I feel better and I'll be honest, I had a few days where I wasn't able to work out due to work and such, but if you get on the routine of doing this just about every day, the workouts will work for you and kicks your metabolism up to be able to keep the weight off. I'm now going to start over with level 1 and do it without the modifications! :) Highly recommended for anyone who wants to kick some of that weight off and look and feel great!
on July 18, 2008
I'm 46 years old and exercise every day. I alternate my exercise routine between my treadmill (60 min/day) and my exercise tapes (45-60 min/day). I don't consider myself hardcore at all...I'm overweight but enjoy exercising. Can't seem to say no to sweets. Anyhow, I've been a devoted fan to The Firm exercise tapes for years. I must say that this DVD blew my workout to a whole new level. It's serious work, but what is great is that it's intense for only 20 mins. During the workout I say to myself, I can do 20 mins....just a few mins more...push through it. I've been doing this DVD every other day now for 3 weeks. I can't believe the definition in my muscle tone. I haven't lost weight (since I indulge all the time) but I totally have a more sculpted look. I can actually see serious muscle definition in my legs, shoulder, arms, and my abs are unbelievable. I'm in shock, I keep looking at them in disbelief. My husband was astonished as well, he noticed the change and didn't even know I was doing something different. He said to me the other day, "Wow...you are so toned, you look great." If you are serious, want an extreme challenging workout, this is the one for you. If you stick with it (it's hard) you will definitely see results, I can guarantee you that. Rock on Jillian and give us some more workout DVD's like this!
on January 14, 2010
LAYOUT OF REVIEW:
-intro
-eating habits & tips
-Session # stats

Hey everyone! I'm going to be coming back to this review every other week or so to post my results as I go through Jillian's 30 Day Shred (1 work week each of Levels 1-3, repeat). I can tell you that after ONLY 6 sessions, I zoomed into Target and shopped for my first real MIDRIFF BARING swimsuit because I could now fit into one without being ashamed of my figure and it's now hanging on my closet for inspiration to be thinner this summer. Keep in mind that I haven't been a saint about doing the workouts either; I did 3 days of Level 1 and on my 4th day of Level 2 and I'm still seeing results.

Here are my eating habits just for background knowledge and some may help you: I drink as much water as I can (NO SODA POP!); I eat smaller portions fit for children; if I eat at a fast food place, I order a plain hamburger OR grilled chicken sandwich sans mayo OR grilled chicken salad; if I'm hungry during the day, I always have wheat crackers with peanut butter handy (PB is amazing for this diet); I don't eat past 8pm so I'll be hungry in the morning to get my metabolism going (usually waffles w/ PB & honey). Quick tip: my mom cut out HIGH FRUCTOSE CORN SYRUP from her diet and lost over 30 POUNDS, I lost some, and we both have more energy, so cut out as much candy and processed foods as possible!!!!! As for baked goodies that are "better" for you than corn syrupy candy, only have a teeny weeny bit to satisfy your sweet tooth, because if you're like me, once you think about something sweet, you crave it and will go overboard if you deny yourself, so only have enough to not go crazy.

SESSION 1 STATS: petite 5'3", size 12 pants, 151 pounds (I look 20 pounds smaller than this sounds, really); trouble spots (being shorter, I have lots of these): muffin top, larger thighs, love handles, upper ab flab.

SESSION 6 STATS: size 10 pants (my size 12 jeans are getting irritatingly baggy), 149 pounds; as for trouble spots: muffin top is DEFLATING, thighs are beginning to get a GAP in between them, love handles are SHRINKING, and my upper abs are SMOOTHING OUT nicely. Other effects by this time: butt is SHAPING UP and lower legs are TONED. Also, my usually-muscular arms are even more so in a healthy-looking way (not like a lady body builder--ick). I guess not many women have this, but I've usually had defined obliques (even when heavier---weird) but the workouts have made them even deeper.

SESSION 9 STATS: Size 10 pants. 151 pounds but this is muscle mass, I believe, because I look much leaner than a few sessions ago. My back is more TONED and face is THINNER. My energy is up and moving around at work is much easier. Back to the bottom: my butt is not that big bump anymore, but it is TEARDROP-SHAPED now! And keep in mind, people, that all this is after only 2 weeks of total workouts.

SESSION 13 STATS: Size 10 pants are getting looser! Gained weight, but that is fat-eating muscle, and the fat around my middle and on my thighs have been MELTING AWAY. Be wary that if you're like me, you'll crave large portions and fatty foods (say, Pizza Hut like we had last night!) once the workout is over, so stick to fresh produce, grains, and yogurt. My lower abs are much FLATTER and when I sit in a chair (when women are at risk for the ugly muffin top!), my stomach barely goes over the top of my jeans. I'm still having trouble getting rid of my love handles completely, so I'm experimenting by eating only Cheerios and yogurt for breakfast and lunch, then a regular LOW-FAT dinner. I'm guessing the bad or excess fat I take in goes straight to the love handles, so it's time to put a stop to that!

SESSION 17 STATS: Still in size 10 pants, but those are starting to get looser, as well. My arms around the shoulder area are NO LONGER BULGING, the gap between my thighs is bigger, arms are seriously TONED. However, I'm still battling my midsection to keep up with the rest of my body. This isn't a negative about the program, I just need to reduce calorie and fat intake to make my body burn what I've already got. Level 3 certainly fires up the furnace!

OKAY....I've had to start over because I let "busy" get in the way and I'm dearly paying for it. Here's what happened:
---you probably lost weight, but the week you have to stop for woman issues or just stop for any old reason, you're body may gain the weight back as upper abdominal flab (as fat redistributes on your body). If you stop, you may crave very unhealthy foods.
---SO, to begin again, you'll have renewed cravings for healthier food and it should be easier this time around because instead of getting rid of the stuff you lost in the first place, you're trying to lose MORE, and the results will be more gratifying.

One more WARNING: there are tons of squats and lunges in this DVD, so your knees will ache quite a bit as long as you do these workouts. When I stopped, I realized my knee pain was gone, so it is back and definitely from this workout.
44 comments|95 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on January 2, 2014
My wife lost 18 pounds !

After her pregnancy she was so busy with our new baby that she didn't have time to go to the gym or even leave the house much. Many months were passing by and we were almost certain she was gonna keep on most of the weight. She had never really tried these home video workouts and didn't know if it would work for her but as it turns out, it works great ! As her husband, I am surprised and as excited as she is about her results.

Because each of the videos are approx. 20-25 minutes long, as soon as she puts our baby to sleep for the morning nap, she starts the video right away and is done before she knows it, well before our daughter wakes up. Fortunately the DVD, as many people have mentioned, is broken into 3 levels and so she was able to gradually get up to the more intense workout.

Tips from my wife: To get the most out of those 25 minutes, you really need to give it your best effort and intensity during that time knowing that it will be over soon. People are probably getting variable results because of the different effort they put into it. Jillian gives good encouragement during the workout to keep you going. Also, my wife was not on any special diet, just reducing her carbohydrate intake in general with more protein instead (ie. turkey/chicken/tuna), and eating smaller portions. If she craved chocolate, she didn't completely inhibit herself from it but would just take a small piece (all in moderation to keep sanity and motivation). Don't get discouraged the first few days and be persistent. The truth is my wife did this 6 days/week one day off to relax and enjoy life.

Summary: This is a wonderful discovery that gave my wife great results and a lot of energy at a time when she was extremely emotional and down about her weight. She was persistent and gave it her best shot and she lost 18 Lbs so far ! She looks so different, especially when we look at her "before photo" (recommend you take a before photo, its encouraging !). I imagine a lot of others like my wife can potentially lose quite a bit of weight if they work hard at it, be persistent, and eat better! Yes we definitely recommend this workout ! At this point, rather than searching for a new workout, my wife is just going to repeat this workout to reach her ultimate goal.

My wife and I both hope you find this review helpful in your search !

George & Tina
on March 23, 2009
I am 32 years old and struggle with high blood pressure and I'm over weight about 50 lbs because I'm only 5 feet 2 inches. My doctor recommended for me to start exercising or I would have to be on the high blood pressure pill. I had a baby 2 yrs ago and I've been too lazy to work out lying to myself that the baby weight would eventually come off. Nope....still got those baby weights. So I went and did some research and bought this DVD just to try it out because I heard it's only 20 minutes of workout and that includes warm up and cool down.

At first I was really skeptical about this DVD. Thinking how can this work? Will it be too hard for me since I NEVER exercise? At first, it was hard for a beginner. The cardio moves was too hard for me to keep up. So I did slow down and got a drink of water. So for the first day, I could not do the full 20 minutes. I woke up feeling my legs and arms burn so badly I could not walk up the stairs at work. I haven't had this feeling for a looonnnng time and I must be nuts but I felt great knowing it works!!!

So I gave it another go 2 days later. This time....(ha!) I did the entire video including the cardio and I sweat like crazy!! I really did feel great! After 2 weeks into this video (it's not a miracle DVD so I had to eat right too) I lost a total of 6 lbs and noticed my clothes feels better. I went and bought her other DVD's too. Now I alternate between her No more Trouble Zone when I don't feel like doing so much Cardio to this one. I lost a total of 20lbs in 2 months and my abs and arms looks great. It's only March, I'm confident that if I keep this up, I will at least feel great by summer!!! So for someone who cannot afford the gym (Like me) who also has a toddler at home (like me) who never exercised before (like me) who wants to do a short intense workout (like me) who wants to see results fast (like me).....I strongly recommend this DVD!!! I hope this helps you since it helped me!!!
55 comments|792 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on January 24, 2015
I read the other reviews before buying this DVD of Jillian's 30 Day Shred. I bought it anyway because you can't always go by reviews and I'm glad I did.

First off, I will say, If you have not ever worked out before or had a regular exercise regime of any type, I would suggest you do as I am doing and instead of planning to lose the weight in 1 month and do all 3 levels in 1 month, split it up and plan 1 level a month for 3 months.

Before buying this video, I had been doing minimal exercise so know my body needs conditioned first. While I do want to lose weight, I realize that I can't just expect my body to be able to jump right in there after it has not had any type of conditioning to exercise, so decided to take it slow. Instead of doing this every day, I try to do it 3 to 5 times a week and take a day off as needed (if my muscles hurt too much I take a day off or if I simply don't have time, it is ok to take the day off).

I decided to try to complete 1 level to the point that I could start out with the easy, modified way (the girl on the right) until I could build my body up to follow the harder, full range way (the girl on the left). Once my body is conditioned to do the workout to the maximum on level 1, then and only then will I move to level 2. I plan this to take me 3 months instead of 1 month to complete and then after that, i can focus on doing each level every day of the week and completing all 3 in 1 months time (month 4).

Losing weight is important, but conditioning is the first thing one has to do and that is important to know your limitations as well.

As for the reviews about this being bad for the knees....if is not bad for your knees if you are listening to Jillian and doing as she says and she makes it very clear what posture you should not have in order to not damage your knees. I have a very weak knee from an injury, and I am finding that doing this workout at a slower modified pace and stretching level 1 out to 1 month instead of 1 week, and following everything Jillian says about how to position the knees so as not to hurt them, my weak knee is actually being strengthened.

I have been doing this workout for 2 weeks now and I am noticing a huge difference in my endurance and strength as well as my overall physical well-being. I am also sleeping better, eating healthier, and living happier. I may not be losing the 20 lbs in 1 month that one would lose if they did this every day and did 1 full level at the hardest directions every week, but that will come in time.

Something people tend to forget is that when you do a video like this, it is ok to modify where needed for yourself until you build up your body endurance and strength to do the workout with Jillian and the girls. You don't have to be just like them. Do it at your own pace, modifying where you need to, not modifying where you don't need to and in time, you will be able to keep up with them and go the whole way through with no problem.

We live in a day and age where everyone wants everything right now. Workouts are not something you want to have that attitude with if you want them to be successful for you.

Great video with lots of workout 'suggestions' and help. I also got the Ripped in 30 days to do after I complete this video, but I believe doing both will take me probably 9 months to a year to get up to par and be able to keep up with them all. And for me, while I do need to lose some weight, I will along the way and so it is all ok to take my time.

Thanks, Jillian, for making an affordable workout video that gets me up and moving and started toward a healthier lifestyle.
on April 25, 2016
This is my second time purchasing this dvd! I am purchasing this as a gift for a friend because I am a firm believer in this work out plan. With dieting and implementing this work out two times a day- I lost 37lbs the first month & a half.

I cut added sugars, dairy, and carbs out of my diet. The work outs are short and really get your heart pumping... I sweat so much! I always find myself going back to this routine. I still have a long way to go, out of all the work out plans I've done this has got to be my most favorite.
review image
on December 10, 2009
I've only written one other review for Amazon so believe me when I say this DVD is AWESOME!! I had been going to the gym and power walking for months. During those months, I had only lost 8 pounds. Desperate, I purchased P90X and after a couple of weeks and realizing I needed to purchase so much equipment to complete the workouts, I gave that up. After searching through Amazon Customer Reviews, I found Jillian Michaels' DVD highly rated...and the price was also right. Another selling point was the only equipment I needed was a couple of dumbbells and a mat. Even though I had never heard of Jillian Michaels (I've never watched the Biggest Loser) I purchased the 30 Day Shred, not expecting too much and figuring I'd quit in 2 weeks.

Well, 3 months and 35 pounds later, I can say this DVD is all the workout you'll need. The workouts are only 25 minutes long (no excuse for busy women), but they're tough. After a couple of weeks and thinking you can't take anymore, you'll notice your body changing. After another 2 weeks, you'll notice the pounds melting off. In less than 3 months, I have went from a size 16 to a size 8 and that's without any extreme dieting.

Again, I must stress, the workouts are tough. There have been a few times that I've cursed at the TV, hoping Jillian would hear me and ease up. But after the workout is over (and my heart stops trying to pound its way off my chest), I feel wonderful. Trust me, completing her workouts, especially workout 3 (there are 3 different workouts), is a great accomplishment. I'm over 40 and haven't felt this great in years. I just gave up my gym membership and have purchased her other DVD, Jillian Michaels: No More Trouble Zones (also awesome), and now alternate between the 2 so I don't get bored.

I have another 20 pounds to lose and I am positive I will lose them with her help. In fact I'll be purchasing more of her workouts as a Christmas present to myself. You can't go wrong with her DVDs, especially for the price. And trust me, after a month of working out with Jillian, you'll be recommending her on Amazon and to all of your friends too. If I could, I would give the 30 Day Shred more than 5 stars.
33 comments|100 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on July 21, 2009
I started doing 30 day shred in March 2009. This first week I thought I was going to DIE!! I stuck with level one for about a month. I finally got to where I could do it without taking a break and moved on to level 2. Again, I thought I was going to die. By the way, I always take a water break between each section, that is what the pause button is for. I was so sore I could hardly walk. My knees hurt for a month also, but they don't bother me at all anymore. I stuck with it everyday no matter how late it was. I have even done it at midnight. After 2 months I had lost 13 lbs. Also, I was eating sensibly by cutting back on fat intake and sugar intake. I quit eating before I got too full and never drank sodas. Now, 4 months later I have lost 24 lbs, 6 in. in my waist, 3 in in my chest and 3 in. off my hips. I have gone from busting out of a size 10 to comfortably wearing a size 4. I never measured my arms or legs, but they are way smaller and my arms are starting to show cuts where muscles are forming. I feel like I am in my 20's again. I am at the weight I was in my 20's. (I am 39 now.)I also added other biggest loser workouts like power sculpt and cardio max and Jillian's new ones Banish Fat, Boost Metabolism and No MOre Trouble Zones. Those are really hard and consist of 7 circuits. They are so awesome though. I alternate all of these now and hope to lose a few more pounds and keep my cholesterol down. All of this started in an effort to lower my cholesterol and I ended up getting my old body back, but even better due to muscle tone. Thanks Jillian!!!!You gave me my health and energy back. I feel great!!
11 comment|74 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse