1,216 Reviews

1,190 of 1,210 people found the following review helpful
5.0 out of 5 stars Tough As Nails! You'll Love Every Second
I have all of the non-BL Jillian Michaels workout dvds and was thrilled that my UPS guys beat the snow to deliver this new addition today. It does not disappoint!

Published on February 3, 2009 by Pampooty

3.0 out of 5 stars The only Jillian DVD I like
I'm not a Jillian Michaels fan. I've tried several of her DVDs, and her attitude just doesn't work for me. She comes off as very egotistical and I don't feel encouraged. However, this is the ONE video of hers that I actually enjoy.
For starters, I don't think it's as challenging as she makes it out to be. If you're looking for something to give you a real workout...
Published on January 29, 2011 by yogini71

1,190 of 1,210 people found the following review helpful
5.0 out of 5 stars Tough As Nails! You'll Love Every Second, February 3, 2009
This review is from: Jillian Michaels: Banish Fat, Boost Metabolism (DVD)

Here's the skinny: 7 six minute circuits, no weights, no equipment. Just you and some free space to jump around (you don't even need that much space; trust me, I live in a tiny NYC apartment and am completely able to do all the exercises). Each circuit is made up of a set of exercises performed twice before moving on to the next circuit: full body engagement, plyometrics and some serious core work mid-way through. But the focus is really on getting your heart rate up and Jillian delivers (my husband walked in after I was done and said he'd never seen my face so red before -- so beware! It's a tough enough workout that you might not look stunning immediately after; you can save the stunning for the beach this summer!)

Now, I should mention I have done JM's 30 Day Shred and love love love love it. There's no better way to get in a thorough workout in 22 minutes. This is not The Shred. There are many familiar exercises, but it's a much longer workout and the intensity is modulated to make it possible to keep going for the full 45+ minutes of the workout. I was intent on getting through the whole workout, so I can't speak to what the experience would be like for a beginner. But, the dvd is broken into chapters that split at each circuit, so theoretically, you can progressively build up as your stamina increases. I imagine I will have days when I'm pressed for time and just want to hit 3-4 of the circuits, and the chapters are designed to allow me to pick the ones I most like (or hate! depending on how tough they are!)

Also, I find Jillian's style to be increasingly more mature with each new dvd. No joke, she's a tough cookie -- that hasn't changed. But her instruction is more precise and her explanations of why certain exercises are paired together is really helpful. I find that knowing why things are good for me (even when they're so hard) is powerful motivation. Oh, I should mention I have very bad asthma and doing these workouts has helped boost my heart strength and capacity to grab more air with each breath. It's silly, I know, but I finish feeling like Mighty Mouse!

I'll update in the comments section with any thoughts or problems I encounter as I incorporate this workout into my regular schedule. But in the meantime, I'm a very happy customer!

979 of 1,011 people found the following review helpful
5.0 out of 5 stars More difficult than difficult, June 10, 2009
dingleberry (San Francisco, CA USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Jillian Michaels: Banish Fat, Boost Metabolism (DVD)
I bought this DVD to reward myself for slowly working my way up to Level 2 of the 30-Day Shred, which took several months because I am not always consistent about working out. I felt pretty confident about my fitness level, because at one point, Level 1 had made me feel like I was going to die, and then Level 2 had the same effect, and now I felt like I was ready for anything.

Well, I had to stop after the first 26 minutes of this video. Partly because I pulled a muscle in my hamstring. And partly because I'm not used to working out this hard for 40 minutes. I am used to having a 26-minute workout with the 30-day shred.

This, by the way, is not easier just because it's cardio with no weights. Not easier at all. I was not expecting this. There are yet more exercises that challenge me! Yet MORE exercises that make me feel like I'm going to die! Lots of explosive pylometrics, lots of compound bodyweight exercises, lots of REAL athlete exercises! YEAH! The only thing harder than this would be CrossFit.

Four caveats:
1. If you've spent some time on the 30-day shred (and even if you haven't), take it easy and be careful with the toe touches during the warm-up. You don't want to pull your hamstring in the warmup like I did because you're going to need your legs to do all that kickboxing later.

2. Don't click on her "health tips" video in the bonus section--unless you want to see an cringe-worthy plug from someone you thought was above all that. She says stuff like, "Eat fresh fruits and vegetables!" "Drink plenty of water." And then, out of nowhere: "And use an electric toothbrush from Oral B!" What now? Then her health tips turn into this full-blown infomercial for Oral B electric toothbrushes, starting at $22 each. WTF? Jillian, really, I have developed so much respect for you doing this 30-day shred with you every day for the last year. Don't throw it all away on an electric toothbrush! So, yeah, avoid the bonus section.

3. The redhead in the back is a bit too smiley for me. Neither of those ladies looks like they're trying very hard sometimes. There's one part where Jillian says, "You should really be breathing hard!" And it flashes back to the one on the right, and she looks like she's just going through the motions, like this is just a walk in the park. I liked the backup workout ladies on 30-day shred MUCH better. Those ladies were awesome. They looked like they were really struggling, which is just what you want to see when you're struggling, too. I'm having backup workout lady withdrawals.

4. The 5-pounds-a-week claim on the cover is ridiculous unless you're already obese or come down with the flu the same week you work out.

Despite these quibbles, she can keep her five stars because this is one crazy-hard workout and I feel like I'm in pretty good shape. I can run for 60 minutes. I can do Level 2 of 30-Day Shred. But apparently I want to die after 26 minutes of this video. Love that. Makes me feel like if I can get through this, I will be a real athlete. Also, I love Jillian's style. I love that she will tell the truth about how hard we have to work to get results, and I love that she doesn't try to make everything warm and fuzzy. This will definitely get the fat off when combined with a good diet and, of course, an electric Oral B toothbrush starting at $22.

5.0 out of 5 stars Just buy it already, June 9, 2010
DKG (Washington, DC) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Jillian Michaels: Banish Fat, Boost Metabolism (DVD)
All the five-star reviews are right. Just buy it (if your doctor approves, of course).

The DVD includes a warm up, 7 workout circuits, and stretching segment.
In the warm up and in each circuit, you perform about five exercises for 30 seconds each and then repeat all five exercises for 30 seconds each.

Warm up: Arm circles, Toe touches, Arm swings, Jogging. Repeat.

Circuit One (Kickboxing): Squatting side kicks on right side, Alternating punches while squatting, Squatting side kicks on left side, Jab-cross-hook-elbow boxing move, Alternating front kicks. Repeat.

Circuit Two: Burpies (drop to plank position and jump up), Plie hops, Punch-hop combination, 180-degree jumps, Single-leg hops. Repeat. IF YOU CAN SURVIVE CIRCUIT TWO, YOU CAN MAKE IT THROUGH THIS WORKOUT.

Circuit Three (Old school Calisthenics): Butt kicks (jogging with heels hitting gluts), High knees (jogging with knees high in front of body), Jumping jacks, Oblique crunches on right side, Oblique crunches on left side. Repeat.

Circuit Four (Floor work): Mountain climbers (striding while in plank position), Lay face down on floor and lift chest and thighs simultaneously, Pike crunches, Oblique twists, Walking plank. Repeat.

Circuit Five (Kickboxing): Swing kicks, Uppercuts (upward punches while squatting), Back kicks, Jab-cross punches while squatting, Knee crunches. Repeat.

Circuit Six: Jump squats, Cross-country skiing, Scissor kicks, Side skaters, Standing mountain climbers. Repeat.

Circuit Seven: Mobiles (twisting jumps), Standing pikes (standing ab crunch), Knee crunches on the right side, Knee crunches on the left side, Jump rope (without actual rope). Repeat.

Stretch. Lasts about five minutes.

4.0 out of 5 stars Take your breath away!, January 14, 2011
This review is from: Jillian Michaels: Banish Fat, Boost Metabolism (DVD)
This work out video is great. I was using another 30 minute work out video that I swore I loved. I secretly think I loved it because it was easy...Easy doesn't allow you to lose the weight!This video is challenging all the way through. It makes me feel like my heart is in my throat. I do have to pause sometimes.You will be red faced and sore beyond belief, but it will be worth it. If you don't stick with it consistently, you may get discouraged as results will take longer. My best recommendation if you are a beginner like myself, try this a circuit or two at a time. If you do the whole thing the first time, trust me, you will dread doing the work out instead of learning how to achieve good form, tempo, and circuit completion. Pace yourself. Lastly, I just started praying before workouts. I think the key to the workouts is endurance and will power. When I want to give up, I just reflect upon my prayer and it encourages me to keep going. When you need prayer for a workout, you KNOW it's gotta be tough. Good luck!

4.0 out of 5 stars Cardio that can deliver, February 2, 2009
This review is from: Jillian Michaels: Banish Fat, Boost Metabolism (DVD)
I just tried Jillian's new workout Banish the Fat Boost Your Metabolism and I have to say I like it. I am a member on her blog and have been using the Shred 30 Program for a little over two months and I have lost a total of 29 pounds. I was worried about hitting a plateau so I was excited to see the release of two new dvds. The DVD willnot be released until tomorrow, Feb. 3, but it is available today on exercise TV/Comcast Digitial Cable. It is an hour workout with a phenomenal warm up and cool down. She does about 6-7 circuits of cardio intense exercises (that can be modified) and you repeat the exercises twice in each circuit. I felt challlenged and really good after I got done with it. When I first started I said, "I'm in over my head", but soon discovered she gives you adequate rest between the sets by alternating a really tough set with a more moderate set to get a little bit of recovery. Jillian Michaels is at the top of her game and gives you the results you want to see. Not only did I lose 29 pounds but I also lost about 17 inches all over. I do follow a regimented diet (as she recommends on her website) but it is priceless to be able to workout for a week and see the kindof results she gives. I highly recommend this for anyone who is serious about getting in shape and needs pragmatic no nonsense, just do what needs to be done, outlook on fitness. Jillian Delivers that and more. I will post an amended post to update my progress. Best of Luck to everyone. Buy the DVD its worth it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great workout, even for someone with bad knees., April 11, 2011
This review is from: Jillian Michaels: Banish Fat, Boost Metabolism (DVD)
I have been using this DVD in combination with many of Jillian's other fitness DVDs (30 Day Shred, No More Trouble Zones, 6 Week 6 Pack) as well as some from Jackie Warner. Out of the 8 fitness DVD's I own, I use this one the most (probably about 40% of my workouts have been to this DVD). In a little over 10 weeks I've lost 19 inches and 13 pounds purely working out at home to my fitness DVD's, so as a system, they are working, but since I use this one the most I attribute much of my weight loss to this particular DVD.

Let me start off by saying that I have had chronic knee problems for years, and when I first bought this DVD I didn't think that my knees were going to be able to handle it. It includes a lot of jumps, squats, and lunges which usually kill my knees. However, using 30 Day Shred and No More Trouble Zones as well, I slowly worked up my strength in my knee joints, and now over 2 months later I haven't had any significant knee pain, which for me is a miracle. However, there are some moves in this video (i.e. the 180's in circuit 2, and the scissor jumps in circuit 6) that I flat out refuse to do (I substitute other moves instead) just because they cause too much slamming of your joints for my personal comfort. I don't want to risk hurting my knees. However, there are plenty of other jumping moves in the video that allow me to land softly on my feet that have not caused me any pain. If you have knee problems, I wouldn't rule this DVD out, but be sure to work on the strength in your leg muscles and work to increase the flexibility in your knee joints before you start this video.

This is probably not an option for people who live in upper level apartments, unless you have understanding downstairs neighbors and/or you are able to coordinate working out during times when your neighbors aren't home. It involves a LOT of jumping around and I imagine would probably create a lot of noise for those living below you.

This workout is broken up into 7 5-minute circuits, each with 5 moves that you do for 30 seconds each, 2 times through. In my opinion, if I had to order the circuits according to level of difficulty, starting with easiest it would be: Level 5, Level 1, Level 4 (all around the same level of difficulty cardo-wise), Level 7, Level 2, Level 6, Level 3. Jillian did a great job in organizing not only the individual circuits but the entire workout-she included active recovery in the places where you feel like you're going to die, to keep it from being impossible to get through, but so it is still a tough workout which has you working every second. In addition, since you are only doing each move for 30 seconds at a time, for the harder moves that are a little more painful to do like the jump squats, its over quickly enough so you're not dying. I have two Jackie Warner DVD's and she has you doing each move for 1 minute, and I swear a few of those minutes have felt like the longest minutes of my life. One complaint I have is that each move and circuit moves from one to the next very quickly, so in the beginning it was hard for me to find time to take a drink of water, I'd end up missing some of the moves, but you can of course always pause the video if need be.

As far as Jillian's personality, she is definitely more serious and no-nonsense, but she doesn't come off like a drill sergeant (in fact of all the videos I have of hers, she only gets that way in level two of 6 week 6 pack). She also doesn't tell you to love the burn and chase the burn, which Jackie Warner does and I find totally annoying. I don't love the burn, I endure it to get results, and Jillian admits that its hard but encourages you to work through it instead of telling you to love it. In all of her videos she tries to joke around with the background girls a few times, and they are usually epic fails...but its kind of funny to watch. One minor complaint I do have is about Saleema, one of the background models. She has a pretty blank look on her face throughout much of the video and doesn't appear to be working very hard at all, which bugged me at first. I think at one point in particular Jillian says "you should be breathing really hard right now!" or something to that effect, and then it flashes to Saleema and she has this blank smile on her face and is definitely not breathing hard. Now I just ignore her and if I happen to focus on her face it just makes me laugh. Ultimately, for me, her personality doesn't matter that much because I eventually just mute the DVD and play my own music. What matters most is that the workout is effective and gets me sweating and gives me results, which all of her DVD's have to some extent, but this one is definitely the best in my opinion.

I expected to get sick of this workout quickly, but after doing it about 25 times I'm still not sick of it (although the minute I had memorized the moves well enough to get through it without listening to Jillian's voice, I muted it and put on my own music, which makes it more enjoyable for me, not because she's bad, it just gets old hearing the same script over and over again). Whats better, although I'm now at the point where I don't have to do any modifications, so the moves are easier in some respects, it still gets me breathing hard, covered in sweat, and exhausted every time I do the workout. I especially like the first 3 circuits as they get my heart rate up pretty high by the end of them. One trick I've learned is that I often will do the first 3 circuits before I do one of my strength training DVD's like No More Trouble Zones just to get my heart up and work a little cardio in to every workout.

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing!!, July 21, 2010
This review is from: Jillian Michaels: Banish Fat, Boost Metabolism (DVD)
I have tried many different things to get in shape and lose some weight including running, taking aerobics classes, lifting weights. I've also tried other videos such as the firm (which worked well). But this video was by far the best. I got a sixpack in a week and lost 5 pounds in two weeks. Basically, for every two times I do this video, I lose a pound. It's REALLY hard and you have to expect to sweat A LOT, but if you want real results, you have to work for them. Definitely recommend!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Didn't think I was going to make it!, May 1, 2009
This review is from: Jillian Michaels: Banish Fat, Boost Metabolism (DVD)
First let me start by saying that I'm trying to lose "the last 15" and I probably could have been on Biggest Loser (lost 172 so far, still have about 15 to go) from when I started. At any rate, almost 4 years into my "new life" I'm trying everything to drop the last bit. My normal routine is 30-45 min of highest level elliptical on personal trainer mode 5+ times a week, plus incline walking, circuit training, cycling outside for fun, and weight training. Just recently took up pilates too. So I'm normally doing 1.5+ hrs a day of moderate to intense exercise, plus fun stuff.

I purchased this DVD thinking it would be a nice "add on" when it's rainy outside or I can't get to the gym. HAHAHAHAHAHAAHA!! The first time I did it (and keep in mind I've been VERY active and strong for 3 years) I could hardly catch my breath and stopped it at the 30 min mark. It is DIFFICULT, but in a good way. This is not hand-holding, this is butt-kicking. After 2 tries, I finally did the whole tape today. It looked like I walked through a pool I was so covered in sweat. But I feel great now. Those walking planks kill me, and the scissor squats/squat jumps... Aaaaggggghhh! Oh the pain. LOL Buy it, you'll learn to love it. It does get easier (not easy, let's say do-able) as you do it more. But I feel as if this will always be a butt-kicker, no matter how many times you do it. Loads of jumping, some pilates core work, some kick-boxing and no rest in between, just a lesser-evil movement so you don't pass out. ;) It's 56 minutes long including the warm up and cool down. You don't need anything but a strong floor and your own body weight.

5.0 out of 5 stars OMG fabulous workout!!!!, February 10, 2009
This review is from: Jillian Michaels: Banish Fat, Boost Metabolism (DVD)
Okay, I have never really been into the Biggest Loser or even the 30 day shred video. I have tried them but I never could figure out what the hype was about but this workout Boost Metabolism definitely was AWESOME! I actually found it on Exercise TV and my kids (age 8 and 5) even loved it. They did almost all of it with me and that NEVER happens. I also tried No More Trouble Zones yesterday and it was also really good. I am sore everywhere today. I burned 350 calories with No More Trouble Zones and 425 calories with Boost Metabolism. I will definitely be purchasing these. I LOVE these workouts and I am highly impressed and I look forward to doing them again and again. I know I will see results and I felt fabulous after doing both of them. Try these you will not regret it!

5.0 out of 5 stars It's not supposed to be easy!, December 5, 2009
Amy Baker "arielgirl" (Livonia, MI United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Jillian Michaels: Banish Fat, Boost Metabolism (DVD)
I am a big fan of Jillian's, I've had this dvd for 6 months. I only did it a handful of times in the past, because it is really hard. After months of counting calories and not getting serious about exercise, I wasn't really losing weight very fast. So I decided to get serious, and pulled out this dvd and did it for 7 days straight (while still counting calories of course), and I lost 4 pounds. I did nothing different than I had been the months before except this dvd. I read some of the other reviews where people are saying it's too hard. It's supposed to be hard! You aren't going to lose weight unless you actually sweat and struggle. You aren't going to lose weight if you are comfortable while working out. I know, because I have tried doing it that way and it doesn't work for me.

It's true that some of the exercises in this video are hard, or you may not be able to do them properly as shown. For example, I can't do the scissor jumping lunge, so I just do a regular jumping lunge. My version of the mountain climber exercise is pretty lame looking I'm sure, but I still do it. My 180's are probably more like 140's. It doesn't matter. If you really want to do the workout, you can modify it so you can do it, as long as you're giving yourself a hard workout and are actually trying.

If you have serious knee problems, cut back on the jumping.

Jillian Michaels: Banish Fat, Boost Metabolism
Jillian Michaels: Banish Fat, Boost Metabolism by Andrea Ambandos (DVD - 2009)
$14.98 $8.94