Published on October 16, 2009 by Mitchell Kerzner

After the fiasco that was Fitness Ultimatum 2009, you might be hesitant to buy the 2010 version. I was too. I've had the game for a while now and thought I'd break out the good and the bad.

The Good:

Published on November 7, 2009 by Nutwiisystem.Com

3.0 out of 5 stars Okay for die-hard fans of Jillian; for others, there are much better options., November 7, 2009
= Fun:2.0 out of 5 stars
This review is from: Jillian Michaels Fitness Ultimatum 2010 - Nintendo Wii (Video Game)

The Good:

1) The exercises are definitely more intense than the ones you'll find on games like Wii Fit Plus or EA Sports Active. There's are nine exercises that use the Wii Remote (water pump, sledge swing, hip twist, oblique, side lunge, back kick, jumping jack, squat jacks, running) and nine that use the balance board (boat pose, crunch, swing kick, lunge kick, bicycle, side plank, pelvic thrust, push-up, closed push-up). Use of the balance board is optional.

2) The game is fairly well organized into three main sections:

a. "Workout Area", contains four choices: "Island Overview" allows you to quickly do one of 18 random exercises in one of 9 different environments, ranging from a cascading waterfall to a sunset on a pier. Great for if you want to exercise in a hurry. "Single Exercise" allows you to choose the specific exercise, location, music, and number of reps. "Circuit Training" lets you choose from five combinations of exercises that Jillian herself recommends for Total Body, Abs, upper or lower body. You can also customize five of your own circuits. "Resolutions" allows you to create a customer workout schedule over time for up to six months, or use a schedule that Jillian herself made.

b. "Jillian's Locker" is very obviously something that the programmers stuffed into the game to make it appear more substantial. It isn't substantial at all. "Outfits" contains outfits that you can dress your on-screen Jillian in. More of a gimmick than anything else, and the interface is confusing to navigate. "Diet Tips" and "Exercise Tips" contain a total of 14 one-line tips. Obviously put in here by a programmer in a vain attempt to make the "information" look more substantial.

c. "My Info" is an interesting area where you can set your profile (height, weight, age) and then see your stats (how much you exercised using the game and a chart of your weight loss over time). Overall I actually prefer the more "professional" presentation of this over the cartoony approach of Wii Fit, but again, the user interface is atrocious, with non-intuitive buttons and difficult controls.

3) While you're doing each exercise, the game will show an animated Jillian performing the exercise, showing you exactly how to do the exercise, complete with the Wii-mote or the Balance Board. You can use a 3-D camera to rotate and view exactly how to do it from any angle. This is a neat feature that isn't available on other games.

4) For the Wii, the graphics are not bad. The environments have rich graphical experiences and great background audio. When you're running through the jungle behind Jillian, you really feel like you're there running through a lush jungle. When you're on a dune overlooking a beach, you can see the wind and hear the surf pounding against the shore.

5) There is something cool about having Jillian as your "personal trainer", leading you through intense exercises, shouting out positive and negative reinforcement depending on how you do. The game does capture her intense, all-out style quite well.

The Bad:

1) The game is still extremely spotty in its use of Wii-Mote or Balance Board to measure how well you're doing the exercise. While marginally improved over the 2009 version, it's still not very accurate and a lot of it is "trial and error". In most cases the controller really doesn't add much to the experience and you're on the "honor system" to do the exercise right. Sometimes just flicking the remote lightly will trigger compliments from Jillian; other times you'll swear you're doing the right thing, but Jillian will berate you for not doing it right.

2) For any given exercise, once you press the "Start" button, the on-screen Jillian will start doing the reps for the exercise very rapidly, regardless of whether you are doing them properly or even doing them at all. Sometimes before I even get set, she's finished with the exercise already! Worse, there's no ability to "Restart", your choices are just Pause or Quit.

3) The overall user interface is horrific. There are a number of awkward or non-standard ways that controls and interface elements are programmed. Sometimes navigation through menus is unresponsive, sometimes buttons are so small you can hardly select them.

4) There are a limited number of exercises (9 balance board, 9 Wii-mote). This pales in comparison to the exercises provided in The Biggest Loser.

To sum up? I'd give it 3 stars out of 5. If you're committed to exercising, you'll get some benefit out of this, but there really aren't any huge innovations here. You'll find that Wii Fit Plus is more fun, EA Sports Active is more precise in its controls, and The Biggest Loser for Wii has a much larger variety of equally intense exercises. The main audience for this one are die-hard fans of Jillian Michaels who enjoy her no-hold-barred style and love the idea of her acting as your virtual personal trainer, even at the expense of a very polished video game experience. For the rest of us, the three titles I just mentioned are far better choices.

4.0 out of 5 stars Here are some things I wanted to know before buying this game., October 16, 2009
= Fun:4.0 out of 5 stars
I started watching The Biggest Loser this year and fell in love with Jillian Michael's hardcore training style. I bought 2009 Ultimatum last year and gave up on it after I couldnt jump on the logs. I recently bought the biggest loser game and it is enjoyable from an exercise aspect and a fun aspect. The exercises in my opinion are somewhat easy,however it is a fun game and some calories are burned. I was really interested in how the new Jillian Michaels game would be because it was a different game maker and supposedly harder. With the reviews from a variety of sites lacking of what I wanted to know, I gave in and bought it myself. Here are the questions I wanted to ask before I got the game and the answers.

Are the controls more accurate?

The game has a different setup. It is strictly exercises such as running, squats and sledgehammer throws. I believe the sensor picks up the four quadrants of your body. Top right, Top left, Bottom Right Bottom Left. If the remote goes in this area during the exercise the green bar stays green and a beep comes on. If the remote does not go in this area the bar turns yellow and a wrong beep goes on. This system is fairly accurate. It takes a few sessions to get the idea of where the remote is suppose to go during the specific exercise, but when done correctly, you realize the proper form your body is in is correct. The game doesnt use the new motion accessory and is a different setup then 2009 with no mini games. For the exercises you do in this game, the motion pickup is sufficient.

Are there mini games and weigh ins?

This game is much more exercise based. I have never seen one of her exercise videos, but I am assuming it is similar to this game. It is a circuit workout of straight exercises. You run, lift similated water pails and do sit ups. You don't get extra levels if you work out harder or get more points if you complete it in a certain number of days. You either work out and do the game or don't. They do have a resolution calnedar which keeps you on a schedule or you can pick different areas to work out in or do single exercises. I personally believe this game could have been addded into the biggest loser game. The workout in this game is much harder, but much more benefitial. There is a little more interaction with Jillian, but more saying if you are doing a good job or to stop giving up.

Does this game give you a good workout?

In my opinion it does. It is a circuit workout and difficult to do. Each workout is done to a certain number of repetitions with time. The cycle is done twice. I have found personally, I am ready to quit in the middle of it and strongly looking forward to the end just like a regular hard workout. The biggest loser workouts I find are very minor movements and I barely get a sweat. The game is just straightforward workouts however. It takes a lot of dedication to continue to do them. The game doesn't have a lot of fun aspects to it, except you get a decent workout in. I use it along with the biggest loser game to help supplement the workout portion.

Is this game worth gettig?

I would recommend this game if you want to put in the time to workout on the wii. It does not have any mini games on it and is strictly an exercise game. There is no video of her doing the exercise and only a description and two pictures of how to perform the movement. This made my first time using the game fairly difficult, but after watching her do it on screen, the second circuit became easier. This game takes a lot of dedication. It seems like an easy game to get and become discoraged with because it is too long to do or too difficult. I find that I am sore after doing this game moreso then the others I have tried such as EA fitness or wii fit.

If you are a dedictated person and want to exercise with wii I would recommend this game as an add on to the biggest loser game or on its own. I enjoy it because as hard as it is, I feel like a got a decent workout after it is done and gives you the sense of accomplishment. If you have trouble getting the motivation to exercise I don't believe this game is for you. It is quite long and repeats the same exercises.

1.0 out of 5 stars Beginners Beware..., November 17, 2009
N. Mungar (Quebec, Canada) - See all my reviews
= Fun:1.0 out of 5 stars
I was searching Amazon for a fitness game for Wii and came across Jillian Michael's Fitness Ultimatum. I had not yet read the reviews on previous versions and didn't know how bad they were. I watched the teaser video and my first impression was that this was the game I needed. Jillian appeared to be very motivational. I ordered the game and when it arrived I immediately tried it out.

It didn't seem to bad and I set up my fitness challenge for the next day. I wanted to work on my core and abs so I set up both areas. I thought that I could do one in the morning and one in the afternoon. I was wrong. Once you start the challenge you are stuck doing both parts; even if you don't have enough time. If you try end it after you do the first one, it doesn't save your data and you're stuck re-doing it.

To make matters worse, this game is not for beginners. The sit-ups are excruciatingly hard and there is no option to put in if you're a beginner or not. I thought I was going to die when Jillian asked me to do 90 sit-ups in one go (I've never been able to do maybe more than 10 or so in one shot and not at the difficulty she posed).

I did not find this game to be fun and didn't want to play it again. Luckily, my Biggest Loser game for Wii arrived and so I'm not completely stuck without fitness.

If you're a beginner, I would not recommend this game. It appears to be more for people who already have a fitness regime and are in shape.

5.0 out of 5 stars Major Improvements in the 2010 version!, October 12, 2009
= Fun:5.0 out of 5 stars
First off, let me start off by saying that as many other users, I too was hesitant to purchase this game based on the subpar gaming experience of the '09 version. But after playing it at a friend's house, I immediately had to go out and buy this. Apparently the game designers were listening to user feedback because this time around they got it right.

The graphics in 2010 are a major improvement. The biggest hang-up I had with the '09 version was the lack of accuracy in the movement tracking. 2010 has fixed these issues. I run marathons and consider myself to be in pretty good shape, but let me tell you, these exercises kick my butt! They're challenging and the mix of stregnth and cardio traning makes for a really fun workout.

2.0 out of 5 stars Wasn't real impressed......., November 11, 2009
= Fun:3.0 out of 5 stars
I bought this game after using my EA Active Sports (which I love) game for about 6 months and I thought that it would give me variety on my workouts. Maybe I'm just used to the "user-friendliness" of the other game but this one gave no real instruction on how to do the different exercises. If an inexperienced person were to buy this game they might not be able to do them correctly and get the full benefit of the exercises. It boasts better movement detection but it seems that you can't get the remote in "just the right position" to register your movements correctly. I spent most of my workout getting frustrated because it wasn't even registering my movements. Needless to say, I have gone back to my EA Active Sports game and am anxiously awaiting the "More Workouts" version when it comes out.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent workout with numerous options to keep you fit and entertained, October 27, 2009
= Fun:5.0 out of 5 stars
Yesterday I tried this game and completed a good 45 minute work out on medium level; and today I certainly feel it!!!
I enjoy working out and typically go to the gym 4/5 days a week. But in looking to get a better work / life balance and save time where possible, I have been looking for home workout options that I could do at least twice a week to compliment my gym workout and elminiate travel time.
I do not care for workout DVDs, thus find the fitness games on the Wii offer fun, entertainment and a challenging workout. I enjoy Wii Fit and Sports Active, thought My fitness trainer was just okay and quickly resold the Pilates as I got nothing from it! So in trying to find the workout that really gave me the challenge I was looking for I turned to this!
Last year I saw the reviews of the 2009 version and was able to cancel my order in time - this year the reviews for the 2010 have been good, so I went ahead with my purchase - and so far, I am very happy!
First I find no problems whatsoever with the reactiveness of the game - I use it with the Wii remote and Wii fit board and find it really did capture my actions!
I am one of those folks that tends to dive right in without reading instructions - this game however is best served by reading the instructions which provide a detailed explaination of each move and how to do it correctly. I really liked the fact however, that you could zoom in onscreen using the Wii remote to get a close up of how to perform each action.
The next thing I really like about this is the many choices you have - you can pick on of Jillians workouts, or create your own. You can also create a six month program tailored to your needs.
I tried one of Jillian's preset workouts to begin and though I found the moves certainly a work out - the reps were minimum, so I created my own workout - and there are so many different choices of exercise you can create several completely different work outs to get an all over body workout or target specific muscle groups on certain days!
There are some common exercises such as crunches and some newer ones that I had never tried before which were challenging. I really like the core / abs options as that has been my biggest peeve about other Wii workouts as these were completely absent!
I also like the fact that you unlock music, locations, excerises as you go...I am sure there are cheats out there, but I like the fact that the more you workout the more options become available to you!
The graphics are pretty good, music so far is fine and as I had the volume turned lower I did not hear too much of Jillians voice though the encouragement seemed present only when required!
My only concern - and this seems to be an issue with all Wii work out games, is the very brief cool down. You can certainly get a tough workout from this so the cool down is important and more stretching activities would have been useful!
All in all this is a challenging workout for both those who are just starting out on an exercise program and those who are well established!
This will give me the cardio and toning I really have been looking for to compliment my current routine and with so many choices there is little chance of getting bored or your body getting too used to a certain set which can stall progress!
I really like this game and personally it is my favorite workout of all the Wii fitness options!

1.0 out of 5 stars Again??, November 11, 2009
A. Moore (Northbrook, IL) - See all my reviews
= Fun:1.0 out of 5 stars
When I read the reviews, I believed the game would be better this time around. NOT SO!! I do the exercises and then Jillian yells at me because the game is not registering my movements. It's extremely discouraging. Thanks but no thanks...

4.0 out of 5 stars Really good workout!!, October 9, 2009
= Fun:4.0 out of 5 stars
I bought the Biggest Loser game and then the next day I had to buy this one. The Biggest Loser game is awesome!! I did a review on that one as well. This game is really cool. It feels as if your training with Jillian and let me tell you...I did my first workout and it was HARD!! I was out of breath and had to sit down numerous times. The controls on the Wii board are very responsive.

The only complaints I have on the game is that you cant view how long each workout is going to be so when your in a hurry or crunched on time, it;s hard to figure out when you'll be done. The workout I did this morning was about 35 minutes.

The other complaint I have is the sound. When you do a move on the board, it shows green if your doing it right but along with an annoying sound indicator that is louder than Jillian. I tried to lower this in the settings option so maybe this will fix it. I just lowered the music and raised her voice sound.

Other than that, it's a great workout. I have it setup for 12 weeks along with the Biggest Loser game so I'm alternating days between the two games. If your a fan of the Biggest Loser, than you have to get both of these games.

5.0 out of 5 stars Can you say OUCH!, October 19, 2009
= Fun:5.0 out of 5 stars
I got this game last week and the first day I got it I did the basic workout which was the total upper body work out (I think) and boy did it hurt the next day! I workout 4-5 days a week and this really got my muscles working. I set up the resolution and started my official workout on Saturday and today is Monday and I am aching all over. I heard the 2009 workout game was really crappy so I was skeptical on buying this one, I have no patience so I went and got it anyway. I am glad I did I have never seen a workout game like this. I love the Island run warm up and I hate the bicycle workout it really hurts the next day! For all of you who have the 2009 game upgrade now you won't regret it I promise.

5.0 out of 5 stars great and fun workout, October 16, 2009
Eleni Skordi (New Jersey, NJ USA) - See all my reviews
= Fun:5.0 out of 5 stars
I must admit I was hesitant to buy this game because I hated the first game Jillian put out for the Wii. This new version is however great. The build in workouts are challenging and fluid. I feel like I get a good workout and its fun. The game is responsive and works well with the balance board and remote. I find that I enjoy the build in circuit training programs the most.

Jillian Michaels Fitness Ultimatum 2010 - Nintendo Wii
Jillian Michaels Fitness Ultimatum 2010 - Nintendo Wii by Majesco Sales Inc. (Nintendo Wii)
$19.99 $5.98