Jillian Michaels Killer Buns & Thighs
Format: DVDChange
Price:$8.99 + Free shipping with Amazon Prime

on June 20, 2012
Format: DVDVerified Purchase
Before I get blasted for reviewing the format instead of the product, let me start by saying that I think this is important information for anyone considering this purchase. Based on the number of positive reviews, I'm assuming this is a relatively recent change to the way Amazon offers some products.

Anyway, I love Jillian Michaels' DVDs and was excited to try this one out. Imagine my disappointment when the display on my DVD player flashed "loading" for two solid minutes before giving me the message that the disc could not be read. I thought maybe it was dirty, so I took it out to clean it and immediately noticed that it looked strange, not like a typical DVD. I tried it out in my Blu-Ray player with the same result. My laptop CD/DVD drive was also unable to play it. (I have played DVD-Rs successfully in all of these players, so I don't know what makes this one different.)

So, I looked it up on Amazon and noticed the small "DVD-R" note. Then I looked up a few more Jillian DVDs and found another "manufactured on demand" with a negative review about how the DVD-R quality degraded over time. It seems like this format is problematic, and I want to make people aware of this. Unfortunately, a review based on the format seems to be the only way to get the word out.

I will be purchasing this DVD elsewhere to make sure I get the real deal next time.
88 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on December 14, 2011
Format: DVDVerified Purchase
Let's start with a funny (and sadly real) anecdote- my best friend and I have been doing the No More Trouble Zones & 30 Day Shred for a couple months, losing weight, toning up and loving it... but the 1st time we did Killer Buns & Thighs and we completed the WARM UP we laughed out of fear because we were already working hard and we were just getting started!

I, like many others, started using Jillian and then went shopping crazy and bought a bunch videos. Killer Buns & Thighs is intense- EVEN LEVEL 1! I am excited that it will take me a while to build up the strength to "graduate" to the next level. It is jam-packed with awesome moves that work every area of the legs and even abs while keeping your heart rate up.

Get started with Jillian!! It really will change your workout experience and in the end will change lots of other areas of your life. We have 5 DVD's we are rotating thru to keep us motivated thru winter and so far- so good:) Good luck!!
on September 9, 2011
Format: DVDVerified Purchase
Because I do not like gyms or their expense, I have always turned to workout dvd's to get my sweat on. I am a runner, first & foremost, so I am always on the lookout for good at-home dvd's that I use to cross train. I have used everything from Tae-Bo, to Tracy Anderson, to Biggest Loser, Winsor Pilates, heck, I even tried Jane Fonda! But NOTHING has ever come close to Jillian Michaels. I got into the best shape of my life using her No More Trouble Zones & Blast Fat, Boost Metabolism dvd's after having my third child. I used NMTZ exclusively for cross-training while training for a half marathon last year & was running 7:45 minute miles. So when I heard that Jillian was coming out with a butt & thighs dvd, I pre-ordered it as soon as it became available. Because runner's need strong legs & booties to really run at prime, this dvd was like an answer to prayer from the running gods.

There are three levels: Level one, which is difficult, but doable. Level two looks bitchin'. I say it LOOKS bitchin', because I haven't done it yet, but I think that when I do get to that level, I will already have an a$$ of steal! Level three looks like it is insane, which is what the back of the dvd promises. At any rate, after doing level three, I anticipate being able to break a 7 minute mile, as my legs & butt will be a force with which to be reckoned.

This definitely isn't an all-around/full-body workout (if you're looking for that, get No More Trouble Zones & Blast Fat, Boost Metabolism), but it IS a great workout, perfect for giving anyone the thighs & butts of his/her dreams.
44 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on October 17, 2012
Format: DVD
prior to purchase this dvd, I had been working out with Jillian's BFBM for up to 5 times a week (For 2 years) and even tho I lost weight with it, I was still not happy with my flappy butt and thunder thighs. After I saw many reviews on this DVD, I purchased it in Feb and have been working out with this DVD for 2-3 times a week. I did notice my butt is firmer and the thighs are slimmer after 4 months. Now that I have been using this DVD for 8 months, i finally feel confident enough to wear shorts and skinny jeans and I have been getting a lot of compliments from my family on how my legs are so much more toner and look slimmer than ever before!

But don't expect result over night! It takes a lot of hard work to get the result and don't give up on the DVD just because you don;t see result after 1 week! Personally, I still find level 2 and 3 tough and there are days I don't even want to work out just thinking about the moves on the DVD!!!!! But persistent and pushing through it's the only way to go if you want to have killer buns and thighs!!!!
on September 15, 2011
Format: DVDVerified Purchase
I have only done workout level 1. I am in shape, and have quite a few of Jillian's other dvd's. I have benefited from them all. This was not a wishy-washy workout. However, she grated on my nerves. My 15 old thought the same thing. She NEVER stops talking and her voice goes into a shrill tone when she is trying to be 'cool' and funny. All the chatter I found to be very distracting. I would give just the work out (sans all the distraction) 5 stars.

I prefer Jillian when she is serious and no-nonsense, but this time it seems like she is trying to be something she is not.

She carries on with Nat (one of her "best girls") quite a bit...like when you take a class and a few people are personal friends with the instructor. They joke between themselves...the rest of the class continues to work out while they giggle and play with one another...The connection between Nat, Anita and Jillian in Shred was pleasant, this was not.

She complains about the comments her users post on her Twitter and Facebook accounts ("it pisses me off!") and I found that to be very unprofessional. Granted, it must be difficult reading criticism about yourself, but a true professional will find the tread of truth, take it with dignity, and apply what is valid. To be sour toward the very people that are spending their money on your product seems to be ultimately self-defeating and frankly, arrogant.

I purchased this before it was released because I have enjoyed all her other dvd's. I will definitely not buy her next one without pre-viewing it first.

I like Jillian, and this one could have been fantastic had she handled herself in a more professional matter.
4747 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on August 31, 2013
Format: DVDVerified Purchase
I consider myself to be in pretty good shape. I run, I lift weights, I do martial arts twice a week. I'm proud of most of my body.
HOWEVER...
My German peasant ancestors gifted me with generous childbearing hips and a butt to go with them. Now, I love having hips; I look fabulous in tight pencil skirts and close-fitting pants. I like having a butt, too. My husband also appriciates the fact that I have a butt.
Now, despite my active lifestyle and reasonable fitness, I carry a bit of cellulite in the butt region. With clothes on, this is not noticable. In a swimsuit or nekkid, however, it is. It's a minor thing, but it bugs me. I don't need to lose any weight; I just want to tone up a little better and maybe help banish the cottage cheese. So when I saw this DVD, I went "Awesome" and bought it.
I've never used a Jillian Michaels DVD before. Holy crap. As mentioned before, I work out. I run 3-5 miles six days a week. I take martial arts for an hour and a half twice a week. I lift weights. I can bench press 150 pounds; twenty more than I weigh.
This DVD kicked my ass. My butt and thighs were sore for two days after the first day of the level one routine. I did the more advanced exersizes, but still. Holy crap.
After 2 weeks of using this DVD (I alternate; one day with the DVD, one day without) I can already notice a difference. My leg muscles are more chiseled and...I think...the cellulite is beginning to lose ground! Just a little bit, but still!
Worth every penny. Jillian impressed me. I'll be buying more of her stuff.
on April 4, 2012
Format: DVD
I have read everything online to try and gain shape to my backside seeing as how I have always had a muscular build for a (black) female but no feminine curves in the lower half of my body. THIS DVD IS THE BUSINESS PEOPLE!!! Jillian Michaels is a goddess when it comes to working a body out! In just the week I rented this DVD from my library I noticed a tremendous difference in how I filled out my pants and skirts. I can't wait until I can buy the DVD to keep for myself. And I didn't even get to levels two and three yet! Jillian says that level one is a 'toning' level but my booty is more curved than it was before, I can't wait to get through the DVD and pass it along to my friends.

As for those people who put up the negative comments about Jillian's 'shrillish banter', they can shut up. She's the one with the skill and generosity to share her gift with others. She doesn't always have to be a drill sergeant and this is more targeted for women so why shouldn't she come off as someone trying to be personable? The woman's attitude is appropriate for a booty workout, which should be fun. And if you're too concerned with her talking and laughing, OBVIOUSLY YOU'RE NOT WORKING HARD ENOUGH. I don't even hear that anymore because I'm too busy getting a juicy booty with my weights and reps.

Rock on Jillian!!!!!
66 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on November 20, 2011
Format: DVD
I love Jillian workouts they have transformed my 43 year-old body and mind. My favorites are 30 day shred, No More Trouble Zones, and Banish Fat Boost Metabolism. I have 6 weeks to 6 pack, yoga meltdown, and ripped in 30 but I stick mostly to my favorites and run to add more cardio. I like this workout because she seems to go back to a more reasonably paced workout that makes you sweat bullets but gives you time to maintain proper form. The other reviews that talk about her commentary are annoying. She is up beat and tries to have fun. Working out should be a little bit fun, don't be a dull girl Jane! I did level 1 and it was challenging and I could perform some of the advanced moves but not all and I was not sore the next day. I am 5'4" and weigh 125, my calorie burn for level 1 was 221 (according to my Garmin). So I did level 2. I will be on this level for a while. Here is a summary:

Warm up: jumping jacks, lunge into warrior, squatting vine step, flying pigeon, windmill skaters. (the workout begins with the warm-up)

Circuit 1: Speed squats, surrenders, sumo squats with weights, single leg runners ( single leg squat), and squat hops.

Circuit 2: Burpees to superman, reverse squat, double unders (double jumprope), single leg thrusts, statue of liberty (single leg squat with a weight touching the opposite toe and a squat at the top)

Circuit 3: jumping lunge, single leg burpee, step ups (onto a chair) with a backward lunge off the chair while holding a weight, single leg thrusts with a chair, pop ups

Circuit 4: Leg extension, side lunge with a jump, dancing crab, lateral hops, and star jumps

I was gargling my heart by the end!!! My Garmin wasn't charged so unfortunately, I don't have a heart rate or calorie burn. I haven't done level 3 yet.

This definitely targets buns and thighs! And as always Jillian is the guru! LOVE IT!!!
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on December 14, 2011
Format: DVDVerified Purchase
Over the course of this summer/fall I've become a huge Jillian fan. I wasn't too excited about this title because I like to get a full body workout, but I gave it a shot. I'm so glad I did. This workout rocks! I was already in pretty good shape, but I had no idea that my legs could ever be like this. That blob of fat at the top of my thigh / bottom of butt disappeared within a few weeks of rotating this in with other daily workouts-- I didn't know that could even happen! It does a great job of toning and burning the fat off your legs without bulking you up -- I tend to put muscle on easily, too. So I give sky high marks for the results.

The workouts are also quite fun, but they are difficult. I put the first one on expecting it to be like week 1 in Ripped in 30 (one to skip over if you are already in shape). But, even level 1 burned and got the sweat pouring. I also agree that level 2 might be more of a challenge than level 3 -- but they are both plenty hard.

As others have mentioned, some of the goofing around is a bit annoying, but it detracts little from the overall quality (and nothing from the results).
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on April 21, 2013
Format: DVD
I prefer effective, safe, uncomplicated moves that work your muscles. These type of combined moves that require jumping are not my style. If done wrong, you may hurt your knees or a ligament. I didn't like it because I spent 98% of the time skipping or modifying moves. I will not play this DVD again, wasted my money.