Winter Driving Best Books of the Month Men's Leather Watches Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon King Explore Home Audio All-New Amazon Fire TV Grocery Valentine's Day Cards Knock snow out cold Amazon Gift Card Offer girls2 girls2 girls2  Amazon Echo All-New Fire Kindle Paperwhite Winter Sports on Amazon.com Sale

Format: DVDChange

on February 11, 2009
This amazing DVD by Jillian Michaels is a 50 minute workout, including warm-up and cooldown, that includes innovative toning moves to target trouble spots. While not for the true beginner, I think this workout would be good for all levels, because she shows modifications for beginners and advanced exercisers (although sometimes not until halfway through the set). Also, you move at a slightly faster pace throughout, so you get a cardio benefit from this workout as well, although its' main focus is toning your body into great shape. The circuit nature of the workout means that you continue to burn more calories even after the workout is over.

The workout is composed of seven 6-minute circuits that leave no muscle unworked. You can choose to do the entire 40 minute circuit or just select the body parts you want to focus on so you can focus on your "problem areas". Each of the circuits consists of 5 different exercises that you do for 30 seconds each, then repeat the entire sequence for a total of 2 sets of each move. Jillian has a lot of unique, effective compound moves (compound means that you work the upper and lower body at the same time). She uses 3 lb. weights and a mat for the workout but you could adjust the amount of weight to suit your needs and use a blanket if you don't have a mat. I've included a breakdown of all the moves below:

Warmup: Basic marching in place, jumping rope (no rope needed), arm circles, skaters (simulate speed skating) and jumping jacks. Then you repeat the entire sequence for a complete five minutes.

Circuit #1- Shoulder & Legs
- Squat with Shoulder Press
- Backwards Lunge with Side Shoulder Raise (repeat on other leg)
- Chair Squat with Front Shoulder Raise
- Front Shoulder PressOuts

Circuit #2- Chest & Abs
- Chest Press with a Crunch
- Chest Fly with Double Leg Raise
- Bicycle Crunches
- Squirms (lying down with knees bent. lift head and shoulder blades off ground and alternate bending to the side and tapping your heels).
- PushUp

Circuit #3- Biceps & Butt
- Deadlift with Hammer Curl
- Static Squat with Concentration Curl
- Front Lunge with Wide Grip Curl (repeat on other leg)
- Side Lunge with Biceps Curl

Circuit #4- Thighs & Triceps
- Chair Pose with Triceps Kickback
- Sumo Squat with Overhead Triceps Press
- Surrender (step back and down to kneeling position then stand up again)
- Forward Lunge with Triceps Pushback (repeat on other leg)

Circuit #5- Core
- Double Crunches
- Twisting Plank
- Plank with ToeTaps (repeat with other leg)
- Windshield Wipers (lying down lift both legs and move from side-to-side)

Circuit #6- Upper Body & Core
- Plank with Back Rows
- Superman
- Scissor Kicks
- Pelvic Thrusts (repeat on other leg)

Circuit #7- Lower Body & Core
- Side Plank
- Side Lying Leg Raise
- Inner Thigh Raise
- Donkey Kicks
- Fire Hydrant with Kick

Then relax with a nice cooldown.

Overall, out of the over 200 workout DVDs I own this is one of the best and I highly recommend it for great results. Jillian is motivating without being too peppy and cues well. If you stick with this workout you'll be ready for short summer shorts and bikinis in no time at all. Enjoy! :)
4343 comments1,797 of 1,871 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on October 16, 2014
This is probably my favorite workout dvd and there is nobody I would rather have than Jillian Michaels training me. She does a great job of keeping me motivated because I'm not one to willingly work out. She even throws in a couple jokes to make you giggle. I'm more of a beginner to working out and that's why I enjoy this dvd so much. Jillian does a great job at explaining each move and for those who are just starting out she shows modifications that you can do to make it a little easier on yourself. On the other hand if you are more advanced she has modifications for that too. In total the workout is about 50 minutes long and consists of a warm up, cool down, and 6 circuits that last about 6 minutes each. The circuits all have 5 exercises that are supposed to be done for 30 seconds each and then repeated after the last exercise in the bunch. All the circuits focus on toning a certain area of your body while burning calories. There is also an option that I like where if I don't have time to do the full workout I can just pick one circuit to do, which for me is usually my core area. You will need dumbbells for a few of these exercises (I would go with either 3 or 5 lbs ones) the ones I bought were Tone Fitness Hourglass Shaped Dumbbells. These are great for me because they are surrounded by rubber and don't cramp up my hands like the ones that are all metal that my husband uses and they don't slip out of my hands either. She also uses a mat, but since I don't have one I am fine with just doing the exercises on my carpet. I'm sure many of you, like I was, are curious of the exercises she uses in each circuit so I will try and write down as many as I can remember for you.

The initial warmup of this dvd is the easiest part for me. There is some jump roping, arm circles, jumping jacks, and marching in place.

The first circuit focuses on toning the shoulders and legs. Some of the exercises she uses in this are squatting,lunging, and press outs. I find this circuit to be easier than the others, but I am sure we all have different opinions. Moving onto the next circuit you will find that it focuses on your chest and abs. A few of the exercises in this circuit are chest presses, bicycle crunches, push ups, and a few others in which I cannot remember the name of. When I first started this program I would often find myself running out of energy after this circuit because I found it to be pretty difficult. Once I gained some energy back I would proceed with circuit 3 which consists of targeting your biceps and butt. This circuit mainly focuses on different types of lunges with curls. The fourth circuit aims to target thighs and triceps and has exercises ranging from chair poses with tricep kickbacks to surrenders. The last 3 circuits all have targeting the core involved. The first is focusing on the core alone by doing crunches, different types of planks, and windshield wipers. Then you move onto the upper body and core and do some supermans, scissor kicks, and pelvic thrusts. After that to finish off the workout it focuses on lower body and core with some side planks, donkey kicks, and leg raises. Finally at the end you get to cool down with some yoga after all that hard work, which of course is my favorite part.

I was using this dvd everyday and on days when I didn't have enough time to do the full 50 minute workout I would just do 1 or 2 circuits. With this dvd's workout alone was averaging a 1-2 lb weight loss per week and was seeing some changes mainly in my core area. It is challenging and depending on your level of fitness it will most likely make you break a sweat. I've been doing this for about 3 months and the first few weeks were a real hassle for me because I continually ran out of energy and felt like it was hard to keep up. I looked into a few different products that would help with keeping my energy up and help me to burn fat faster. I began using T5 RXD - Clinical Strength Thermogenic Fat-Reduction Formula. Highly Concentrated T5 Weight Loss, Fat Burning Supplement (90 Capsules) (1 bottle) along with my routine, after seeing on several websites that it is the best rated fat burning formula and also gives you extra energy. I've been using the t-5 with this dvd for the last month and a half and have been losing almost 4- 5 lbs a week now compared to the 1-2 lbs I was losing previously. I am also not running out of energy as easily, especially after that second circuit that always seemed to drain me. I'm sure there are other supplements that might work just fine, this is just the one that I felt good energy and lost the most weight with.

I'm a 5'5 female and I weighed 185 lbs before I started and over the 3 months that I have been using this combination I have been able to lose a total of 41 lbs. With some hard work and dedication I was able to go from an unhealthy weight to a normal weight and I couldn't be happier with the results I have seen. This is a challenging program, but if you stick with it and don't give up I am sure you will all be able to see great results. I will keep doing what i'm doing until I reach my ideal weight and figure and I wish everyone else the best of luck with their goals as well.
0Comment186 of 191 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on February 5, 2009
I am a huge fan of the Jillian Michael's approach to fitness. I used her Shred 30 program and lost 29 pounds in two months by doing the workouts and following the diet recommended on her website. Let me start by saying I am not one of these people who just "LOVES" to workout. I do it because I need change. I tried this workout yesterday as it is available on Exercise TV/On Demand and I have to tell you, it was the most transformational exercise experience I have ever had. Jillian's coaching and motivational speak are reverberating in my head even now. For this workout you will need 3 to 5 pound weights and about an hour (trust me this hour is worth it). She starts with 5 minute warm up that is cardio and dynamic stretching infused. SHe cools down with a yoga style static stretch that is just wonderful. There are roughly (six) 7 minute segments in which you do about 5 powerful arm and leg focused or ab focused work. The intensity of the arm, ab and leg work basically guaranteed me that I am going to see the results I want to see over the next two months. I usually dont feel a burn in my glutes and hips which are a real trouble spot for me, did not have that problem this time. Working out is not really my thing, as much as wanting results and knowing I have to do it in order to get it, but the strength and euphoria I felt after doing this workout is indescribable. I recommend this to anyone who wants to believe in themselves and begin transforming themselves into the person they wish they were. This comes with the highest recommendation I can offer. I will post updates as I continue the program. GET THE DVD, its the least you could do for yourself.
2020 comments488 of 528 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
VINE VOICEon February 8, 2009
I own all of Jillian's DVDs, so when this one and it's companion DVD came out, I ordered them immediately.

This one is like "Banish Fat, Boost Metabolism" but the circuits are weights based. At about an hour long, she has you run through 5 exercises 2 times a circuit and most are with weights in hand. Towards the middle, she does matwork for the abs (some with weights!) and in the last circuit she does old school matwork for legs and glutes.

This kicked my butt in a good way. I was sweaty and tired at the end. I completed it, but having to modify some exercises, so now I have something to work towards.

Having owned so many of Jillian's DVDs, I was worried she would use the same exercises over and over but she keeps it really fresh! She has a lot of exercises I have never seen or done before and all I can say is WOW! She does this exercise called "The Surrender" Oh. My. Goodness. It is super hard and I had to stop. It's also a little hard on the knees. Again, one of the ones I have to work towards.

I can definitely see this DVD transforming your body and making you more and more toned. A great workout and so worth it!
1717 comments238 of 274 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on October 30, 2014
It's about time I write a review about this workout. I've been doing this workout (intermixed with runs and other JM dvds but primarily this one) for the past three months. In that time period I have lost 2 inches off my neck, 3 inches off my ribs, 2.5 inches off of each of my arms, 8(!) inches off of my waist, 6 inches off of my hips, and 2.5 inches off each of my thighs. I had a baby 7 months ago, delivering him at 187 lbs. I am now 127 lbs. because of JM. I have a 26" waist again!!! My hips are 37" and I'm wearing my highschool jeans. I have the makings of a 6 pack, and people always think I am my son's nanny! Ha! Jillian michaels is amazing! I could have never gotten my body back without her. My mind is blown every time I look in the mirror. I have an infant and I look like a Bond girl. It's just nuts. I hope jillian reads her reviews. I am a HUGE fan and I recommend this video to everyone. I wish I could post my before and after pictures!
0Comment30 of 31 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on May 5, 2012
THIS WORKOUT IS SO AWESOME I HAVE BEEN DOING IT FOR A MONTH AND HAVE LOST 21 INCHES AND 15 POUNDS!!! LOVE IT!!! LOVE IT!!! LOVE IT!! JILLIAN IS SO GOOD AT EXPLAINING THE MOVES AND GIVING ALTERNATE ONES JUST AWESOME!!! REMEMBER TO EAT RIGHT AND STICK WITH HER YOU WILL GET THE RESULTS DESIRED!! I HAVE!!!
11 comment20 of 20 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on March 17, 2009
I like this workout, especially because it is almost an hour (it's about 50 minutes not including the final stretch), and some of the moves are tough -- however, what drives me nuts is that Jillian does NOT count her reps. If you count them you'll notice that on one leg she does 12, then the next she will do 15. Then she will do 17 for another move. There is no consistency.

I also don't think this workout is that killer... I'm not sure what weights everyone else is using, but I use 5lbs for this. On the DVD they only use 3lbs. Maybe I need to increase to 8lbs, but she emphasizes "light weights, high reps." 3lbs does nothing for me. I have been using the Firm workouts for ages though, so I am used to lifting more weight.
Also, I feel like this is mainly a core workout - it feels like you spend about half the time in plank pose. It would have been nice if there were more lower body work.

For those of you who live in apts and are concerned about jumping moves, the only real jumping is in the warm up for jumping jacks. So I think it's fine to do this workout if you live in an apt with neighbors.
1919 comments330 of 398 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on April 30, 2009
I have all of Jillian's videos and they all kick butt, but this one I believe is the greatest. At about 45 minutes, this video concentrates on those areas that women and even some men have trouble toning. I use all of Jillian's videos -- 20 minute DVD each day and "No More Trouble Zones" on the 4th day. I have started noticing muscles, I just didn't know I had, my triceps, quads, hamstrings, butt, abdomen and more. Don't get me wrong, it also takes eating healthy, multi-vitamins and at least your eight glasses of water along with exercise to lose weight. However, if you are in the process of losing weight right now or want to start and also want to start toning your body, this is absolutely the perfect exercise DVD. It is a hard DVD and took me a few times to get through the entire DVD, but if you are consistent and try your hardest, you will see results. Thanks Jillian, you truly made me a believer!!

P.S. I'm 39 years old, 5'4". Started eating low carb, lower calories (according to my BMI), treadmill intervals and Jillian 20 minute DVDs. Started February 1, 2009 at 172 lbs; Today April 30, 2009 147 lbs. Goal weight 130 lbs.
55 comments31 of 35 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on November 26, 2012
(******Scroll down for 3-month update and...
******NEW NEW NEW 12-month update***************)

Review at One-Month:
Okay, so I've been waiting to write this review, hoping it would earn all five stars... and it has!

So, okay... First about me: I am already a slender person within my healthy weight range. Minus the muscle and add a little soft girly flab, I am very near the size of Jillian. However, I am soft... really soft! I am the kind of girl who needs help opening jars in the kitchen, and I basically am never asked to carry anything. I am the person who holds the door as other people carry stuff in and out, right?! Well, that is me - I haven't always been enthusiastic about exercise, but in the past couple of years, I have liked it more... if only because the years are beginning to show. I realized I must relent at some point and exercise. So, I was cycling for about 9 months straight every night for about an hour each night. Before that, I was doing various repetitive exercises. I am religious about this stuff; I want to be fit. Well, when the temperatures started dipping, I decided I wanted an indoor option for exercise. Enter Julian Michael "No More Trouble Zones."

So, I have exercised to this streaming video (via Amazon) every night for just over a month. At first, it killed me. Wow - Although my legs are very strong from the cycling, virtual NOTHING else was strong. Past tense being the emphasis there. The first four days or so, I was so sore that I didn't know if I could continue. However, I persevered, and the soreness subsided. The first few weeks, I started feeling stronger, but I really wasn't seeing a lot of results. I felt better, yes, but in the mirror, it looked about the same. I decided around the 1-month mark that I needed to cut more calories in a day. After all, I had been burning serious calories cycling every day, and although this video gives you a solid workout, it doesn't equal the calories I was burning cycling. So, I cut about 200 calories out of my diet daily, and lo and behold... I am seeing results.

Jillian is cute as a button but tough as nails! Here are just a few observations I've noticed along the way:

-- Knees: If you have bad knees, then is may not be the workout for you. There are several exercises that may compromise your situation.

-- Abs: I can feel every part of my stomach by the second round of Circuit 2. Lord, that one is killer, but it's so worth it from what I can tell.

-- Side lunge: To me, this one is so difficult, not because it hurts but it seems like something could go wrong easily. Jillian is barking so many orders about how to do it right, that I am always afraid I am doing it wrong. The producers may have benefited from showing the audience a profile view of one of the girls doing this lunge. I am always afraid I am not leaning back enough. Just my thoughts.

-- Sumo squat: Okay this one is killer if you try your very best to keep your elbows pointed at the ceiling. That is the trick to make this one burn like holy hell.

-- Plank: For someone as muscle-challenged as myself, the plank moves really are tough. Even after a month, I struggle with them. However, I feel the burn like crazy in my abs after the push ups, so I recommend suffering through them. The Plank Twist and Toe Taps are very tough if only because you have to stay in plank for so long, and the chick moves into plank so quickly. This is just my experience.

-- Very quick water breaks: When her two helpers take the mat, I always grab a quick sip of water. This is just about the only allowance of time you have to stay hydrated apart from pausing the tape. Just my observation.

So, okay... I recommend this one for sure if you are disciplined enough to stay at it and cut calories if you don't visibly notice results within a few weeks' time. I will definitely continue using this, and I shall try to update this again at the beginning of the year to report progress. Good luck to all - I welcome your comments or questions.

***Three-Month Update****

I have used this video everyday for three months now, missing only a few days total. I am still in love with this workout, and most importantly, it really is working. I think it's important to note that I do feel thinner, although I'm not sure if I actually am thinner. I am, however, stronger, and the shape of my body is much more toned than it ever has been before. My stomach is always flat, my arms looks kind of "muscly" even when they are not flexed (but very strong looking when flexed), my legs are firm, and my bottom is definitely super toned. In this time, I have tried other workouts, but I must say that not all workouts are created equal. Jillian's No Trouble Zones is great because even when it feels like it's getting a little old, you always feel like you're getting a workout. At about 2 months, I upgraded to 5 lb. weights, which was a real challenge; however, I adjusted and the results are showing. I would suggest building up to 5 lb weights, though. I definitely could NOT have done taken the extra weight sooner, and I think it may have been discouraging enough for me to quit. I have made a few modifications other than the incorporation of 5 lb. weights, which I'll itemize below:

-- Radio - Once I became familiar with the workout, I turned the video volume down to "just audible" and listened to a streaming Internet radio. This is nice because you never know what you'll hear, and it makes the workout a little more interesting, especially when you hear an old song you love. I listened to the comedy channel once, and be sure not to do that! I was laughing and it was hard to keep my pacing or positions.

-- Surrenders - I know some people really struggle with "surrender," but it was a little boring to me. I know pump my arms up and down just as I do in "sumo squat" while I execute the surrenders. I just find it to be much more difficult than holding the weights upright. That makes for one tough circuit!

-- Windshield wipers - After your second set of windshield wipers, Jillian has a rather long set-up before "plank with a row." I use this time to do about six more windshield wipers. Usually by the time she pounds on her abs with her stomach (see the video), I stop and then set up for "plank with a row." I find windshield wipers to be challenging and effective... might as well sneak a few more in!

I still love this workout, although I have watched and done it every day for three months. I can definitely see the results, although I do think you have to be VERY thin to see the actual six pack abs. I think I likely have six pack abs under a thin layer of girl fat. I guess if I were going to the beach, I might eat super, super lean that week and be able to see them! But, I still have definition in my abs where none was before, and that is pretty amazing. This is a great video! I'll update again soon. I check for comments, so please be sure to send them my way.

************ NEW! 12 Month Update! ************
Okay. So, here's the story. At about six months of doing this workout every day, I realized that YES I was firmer and better toned; however, I felt like I was gaining weight - as if I were thicker in places that I didn't like. Things weren't fitting quite right, and I thought it was probably best to jump on the scale. Well, sure enough, I had gained weight. The inevitable thought... I've added muscle. Yes, I do believe I did - HOWEVER - not this much muscle. So, I decided to clock how many calories I burned during a workout using a heart rate monitor. I burned around 250 calories during the 60 minute workout. I decided to get a stationary bike and see how many calories I could burn in the same amount of time, not being too crazy but definitely breaking a sweat. Well, it was more - by about 200 calories more, and at times, even more than that. So, truth be told, this workout is great for muscle and toning; however, you aren't burning a lot of calories here. Sad but true - It was sad for me, because I had to lose that weight all over again : ( But, a stationary bike and watching my calories had me back to the size I had aspired to maintain when I started the Julian Michaels workout.
0Comment25 of 28 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on May 19, 2010
I am 36 years old, and I have four kids. Last year I decided it was time to lost the extra pounds that didn't come off after my 4th pregnancy, so after browsing amazon for some ideas I stumbled upon Jillian's 30 Day Shred and No More Trouble Zones. These videos work. If you are using proper form, working out 5-6 days week, and not overindulging on carbs/dessert you WILL see results. Here are my stats:

April 2009: 124 pounds, 5 feet 4 inches tall, size 6

Workout/diet regimen: started with 30 Day Shred, moved on to No More Trouble Zones (since it had the longer ab workouts I wanted) for about 1 month almost daily. No diet, just cut back on snacks/dessert.

May 2009: 111 pounds, size 0 or 2 - total weight loss 13 pounds, about 10% of my body weight.

If you are looking to get fit and lose weight, give this video a try!
44 comments61 of 73 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse