Automotive Holiday Deals Books Holiday Gift Guide Shop Men's Athletic Shoes Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon Prime Music Sweepstakes egg_2015 All-New Amazon Fire TV Beauty Deals Gifts for Her May The Best Garden Be Yours Amazon Gift Card Offer cm15 cm15 cm15 $30 Off Amazon Echo $30 Off Fire HD 6 Kindle Cyber Monday Deals Cyber Monday Video Game Deals Shop Now DOTD

Format: DVDChange

Showing 1-10 of 210 reviews(4 star).Show all reviews
I have several of Jillian's previous workouts, including 30 Day Shred, No More Trouble Zones, Banish Fat Boost Metabolism, and Six-Week 6 Pack. I had been worried that this newest workout would be repetitious and similar to her other workouts, and, while some of the moves are from her other workouts, overall it's a great DVD to have, and I'm glad I got it to add to my Jillian collection.

This DVD is also a great value since it has four workouts on it. Although the DVD cover (and Jillian herself in the introductory segment) say that each workout is about 24 minutes long, by the time you factor in the warm-up and cool down, they are closer to 35 minutes each. Within that period, you get a really intense workout since your heart rate stays elevated for most of the workout. The idea is to do the first workout for one week (5 or 6 times that week), the second workout for the second week (5 or 6 times that week), etc. As with her other workouts, this one also includes a modifier in each segment. You will need a mat and two or three sets of different dumbbells in order to do the workout.

Like Jillian's 30 Day Shred workout, this one also follows her 3-2-1 format: three minutes of strength, two minutes of cardio, and one minute of abs in each workout. I've done two of the workouts so far, and they are *really* hard, just like her workouts always are.

The DVD also comes with a thirty-day diet plan you can access online. I haven't done so yet, but will try to update my review after I have checked it out.

Before I bought my first Jillian workout, I had been worried that they would be too easy since I consider myself an advanced exerciser and thought that her workouts were more for beginners. Boy, was I wrong! Her workouts are intense, and she really does use the most cutting-edge methodologies in her workouts, including metabolic circuits (weights and cardio with high-intensity interval training [HIIT] intervals) and compound exercises (where you use multiple muscle groups to burn more fat). Awhile back, I did a three-week rotation I found on Exercise TV's website called 30-Day Slimdown that uses some of her older workouts for thirty days. (Amazon won't usually let you post links in your reviews, but if you do a search with those words, you should find the rotation.) Although I didn't stick with the full thirty days since it's hard for me to just stick with one workout instructor for that long, in three weeks I saw a significant difference in my fat loss, even though I was working out less than I had been with other workout DVD's.

Although this DVD is set up where you do each workout for a week, I usually don't use her workouts that way, and I still get results. I usually just mix and match them, either doing two thirty-minute workouts back to back or adding another workout to one of hers.

As Jillian mentions in her intro to the first workout, none of the moves are repeated in any of the workouts on this disk; however, there are moves which are repeated on her other workout DVD's (like butt kicks and skaters), which is why I gave this four stars. I understand that it is probably really hard to come up with new moves for every single DVD she makes, but it would have been nice to have had a little more variety.

Although I don't find Jillian as fun to work out with as I do other instructors, her workouts get results as long as you are consistent with them, and I think that this one will, too! As mentioned above, so far I have done two of the workouts and found them fun and intense, so I will update my review once I've done all four a few times.

UPDATE ON 3/5/11: I've had a chance to download the meal plan, and it looks really good. It's nineteen pages long, and gives some good suggestions as to meal ideas. I also like that she is up front in it as to which companies she has a financial interest in.

UPDATE ON 3/23/11: I've done all four workouts a few times now, and really find them tough, especially 3 and 4. What I also like is that they are short enough to add on to another half-hour workout if I want to do a half-hour of weights before doing this. If you like the format of this workout, you might also like Peak 10 Cardio Strength with Michelle Dozois,A.S.A.P. Hollywood Bootcamp 4x4, and Patrick Goudeau's Lean Hot Body. All three of these other workouts are like Jillian's Ripped in 30 in that they use strength intervals (and you just need two pairs of dummbells, with no other equipment) and metabolic circuits, although each of these other workouts is about an hour long. (I always like hearing suggestions for other workouts, so hope that other readers do, too.)
1010 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on April 5, 2011
Now that I've done all 4 workouts, I want to share my thoughts.
Week One: If you're a Jillian workout veteran like me, this workout is too easy. I did this one for two days before moving on. It's great for anyone new to Jillian, but I've been put through the ringer already and this wasn't so tough.
Week 2: I was sweaty and my heart rate was up, it was a good workout. Not overly challenging though.
Week 3: A mother of workouts! This was a huge jump from week 2. It was more challenging that the other two and it definitely had me sore and sweaty and I really got something out of this one.
Week 4: I honestly don't think this should have been week 4, but switched with week 3. It was definitely hard, and I definitely got my workout, but I think week three was harder.

Weightloss: I've lost 5 pounds since starting this workout. I didn't follow her diet plan, but I am watching what I eat and trying to make better choices, so I am "dieting". Her plans can be a bit unrealistic- with the whole buy organic everything mentality. I'm not opposed to "everything organic", but it can be a bit pricey.

I've been doing Jillian's workouts for nearly a year. I have lost a total of 45 pounds, I have begun to get definition in my arms- which I have never had. It definitely got more pronounced with this workout. I can definitely see the shape of my shoulders and biceps. I wish there was more tricep work in this workout and better ab routines- she has some really good ones that she did not put in this DVD. However, it is a great DVD. I did not get "ripped" in 30 days, but I definitely am on the right track- and more time and continued exercise will get me there.

One thing to know- a lot of people find Jillian obnoxious. She's a little more so in this one, in my opinion. I don't totally mind it, but week 2 was a little over the top for me.Just be aware she can be that way. It's okay. She's still your best bet for getting in shape.
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on March 7, 2014
I'm on my 6th week of consistently doing this 5/6x's a week. The workout itself is fantastic! I was sweating just as much on Week 1 as I was on Week 4; all of the weeks just feel like they have different focuses. If I'm not trying to stick to doing the program religiously, I always go back to the Week 1 workout to supplement what I'm doing at the time, as I find that it gives me the best well-rounded workout and I'm always incredibly sore.

I will say this. I'm not sure what happened, but Jillian is incredibly abrasive in this DVD. I understand she is confident and that's great, but this seems more like arrogant and loud. She slaps her assistants' backsides and makes them closely "speak into the mic" (her sports bra). She throws in random literary quotes that I don't necessarily care to hear when I'm trying to push out the last 5 reps and can hardly breathe. It feels like she wanted to be a motivational speaker in another life and she's angry about it, so she just screams inspirational quotes at you so that she can have her cake and eat it too.

None of this is to say that this workout isn't insanely effective, because it is, but the mute button will become your best friend quickly. I've found that I am much more focused and workout harder when I just turn on Pandora and follow along with her.
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on March 10, 2011
It pains me to not be able to give this DVD five out of four stars, but the commentary in this DVD is horrible. The work-outs themselves are great! I just advanced to level 2, which feels more like Shred's level 3 (the first round of cardio alternates between mountain climbers and floor jacks...phew!), and I'm loving waking up the next morning and feeling new muscle soreness (not too much, but just enough to know I had a good work-out).

I own several other Jillian work outs and this is the only DVD I find her annoying in. She comes across as more cocky and slightly offensive (bouncing quarters off your butt). I miss the Jillian in Shred who was more concentrated on form and encouragement than the Ripped in 30 Jillian who is biting at the background girls and ranting on about how "perfect sucks."

I'm definitely not returning the DVD, but definitely muting it once I know the routines better. I will probably wait until more reviews come out for her upcoming titles, Bun Buster and Shred Extreme (found this out via her Facebook page) before I purchase. If there is more cocky, ranting Jillian, I'd probably not purchase them.
44 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on July 11, 2015
This is a really great DVD for getting some toning in but if you are looking to drop LBS you may, like me, have difficulty. I am currently 5'4.5 127 lbs. after gaining from 120 to 140 last year I am coming closer to my goal weight (ideally 110 but ok with anything between 110 and 120 ish) I have used this periodically for several years. I pulled this out in desperation after hitting a plateua from dieting anf having took a lazy 8 months off any workouts after four years of regular training. I own many Jillian DVD's and I think she is a great trainer. I only lost like three pounds doing her workouts for 5 weeks. I find with this and the shred you have to add CARDIO or you will find yourself staying at the same weight. Don't buy into gaining muscle/losing fat because gaining a pound of muscle does not happen in a week or two. I have noticed positive changes in my body while rotating jillians workouts most recently.
as far as the workouts:
Level 1 is very reasonable for a beginner. I think it is well rounded. The first circuit is hardest. I use a 10 lb kettlebell for the squat swings. and sometimes do the 2nd circuit twice. good mornings are too easy. The ab work is insufficient for me also. i like to add some 'blogilates' to make up for it. My calves were very sore the day after this.
level 2 is a b@$%h. Even when I was in top form I couldn't do the entire first cardio circuit. Best I get is three out of four. So I sub some regular jacks or standing mountain climbers. I also use only one 5 lb weight for sumo/tricep ext I cant keep good form with two 3 lbs. this level is very core centered & I feel like a accomplished something by the end.
Level 3 is also tough, I do not hate as much as level 2. Some moves were akward for me- the side push up thing especially.
level 4 is the most well rounded of all four weeks IMO I think it's close to a perfect Jillian HIIT workout.

All in all I would recommend, I like better than shred for a few reasons. One it came out after so I assume Jillian has learned a few things/improved on things since her 30 day shred release. Also I like the addition of a 3rd strength move, which however, is inexplicably missing from week 3 circuit 1 ( this kills me, how many people looked at this before it hit shelves? and if they knew they should have found a way to fix it.) I always pause and do the missing part on my own. With most Jillian workouts I find myself pausing/rewinding during strength because I do not want to sacrifice form or reps because of the fast paced transitions (main reason I give 4 stars), but for me doing the moves properly is key. This would be my pick for anyone wanting to buy their first Jillian dvd. Yes her flirting can be obnoxious, but after the first few days i just play my music and use the subtitles just in case.
on April 21, 2011
Let me start by saying this is a GREAT workout. I'm an avid runner and decided to use this as a supplement to running in hopes of getting in better shape even though my life doesn't allow for more time hitting the pavement. I'm running faster than I ever have before so I haven't been disappointed.

However, 30 days? Really? I can run a half marathon in under 2 hours but there's no way I could move from level 1 through level 4 in a month. By the time I got to level 3 I was so frustrated I put the DVD away for a couple of weeks. Then I decided to start over and commit at least 2 weeks to each level, more if I felt like I wasn't ready to move on. Push-ups with your knee to your elbow? Really? Who can do that in two weeks? So I haven't actually completed level 3 or started on level 4 but I'll get there eventually.

I couldn't follow the meal plan. It's supposed to be 400 calories per meal and 200 calories per snack but some of the meals are less than 200 calories. I think if you followed it to the letter, you'd mess up your metabolism. I did find some tasty new recipes on there though, and some of the skimpier meals are still good if you add a piece of whole grain bread and some fruits and vegetables.
33 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on September 11, 2013
I've actually never written a review before, but after my first day with Jillian Michaels Ripped in 30 yesterday, I felt I should say something. I own and have used dozens of Jillian's DVDs, from 30-day shred to Yoga Meltdown to Kickbox Fast Fit. I've even completed weeks 1 and 2 of her Total Body Revolution 90-day program.

Having said that, week 1 of Ripped in 30 was the HARDEST Jillian workout I have ever done. Since 30-Day Shred is now too easy for me, I thought this would be cake and even thought about starting on week 3 or 4, thinking week 1 would be too easy for me. Boy was I wrong! She does three circuits of her 3-2-1 strength-cardio-abs routine, and by the third circuit, I couldn't get all the way through the strength part or the cardio part without taking 30-second breaks on the couch. When I was done I was a sweating mess and I definitely feel that I got a full day's workout in the 30 minutes. I totally loved this workout and will keep doing week 1 every day until I can get through the whole 30 minutes without dying.

I only took off one star here for two reasons:

First, Jillian is pretty calm and mellow in this video. I'm used to her screaming at me and coming up with great one-liners of encouragement like "fear is pain leaving your body" or "you can do anything for 30 minutes" and I missed that energy here. If you like her drill-sergeant attitude and her usual way of yelling at you gets you motivated, you will miss that here. If you don't like that, on the other hand, this one might be great for you.

Second, I felt like the cool down was way too long. Maybe I'm exaggerating because I was just tired at the end, but I swear the cool down was like eight minutes long. I was getting bored and looking at my watch during the cool down, and wishing we could have taken three or four minutes of it to get in some more exercises, or just made it three or four minutes shorter so I could get on with my day.

Overall, this was a really challenging, thorough, complete full-body workout and I will be using it more often. I won't get bored with it either, because it will take me a couple weeks to progress through each of the four levels of difficulty until I can complete them all the way through. Great buy!
33 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on March 23, 2011
I gave this 4/5 stars due to Jillian's commentary... it's really annoying.. it got to the point that if she said "get some" one more time I was going to take the disc out and snap it... thankfully it was nearly cool down time. To get around this I watched with sound for the first few times (until I knew how to do the moves) and then muted and put on my own music.

The workouts are very good though, it has four levels, each level getting harder. Each one has the beginner modification and the advanced modification. She uses some of her moves from past DVDs along with new ones. She recommends doing the workout 5-6 times a week and each level should last for a week (I usually do the workout till it doesn't make me sore anymore, so that will be different for everyone) None of the weekly moves are repeated.
What you'll need
-hand weights, two sets of different weights
-exercise matt
-enough room for jumping jacks or skaters

DVD comes with her online meal plan too, I haven't signed up for that so I can't make a comment on how that works.
on August 30, 2011
After reading some of the negative reviews I can definitely understand them. Yes, Jillian Michaels can be annoying. She is also motivating in that nonfluffy OH you can do it you are amazing type of way. I am one of those people who don't want to hear long annoying stories about this and that. She does not talk too much and is motivating in her OWN way. This is not for some people. As all products reviews are going to be split 50 50 bad and good. If you don't like her, move on to something else. Personally, I am someone who tries to exercise everyday. I have done ea sports active 2 and found that boring after awhile. I wanted something challenging. This was it. I am not in great shape but I know how to push myself. This dvd is for someone who is not gonna give up and will push themselves. It is not for someone who is looking for a easy way to get in shape. She says in her dvd, you don't buy a Jillian Michaels dvd expecting it to be easy. It whips you up in a sweat fast but it is something you need to take your time with. I went though week one and two and found week 2 to be too challenging for me so I went back to week 2 to try to get ready. This is a dvd you need to take your time with. Move onto weeks WHEN YOU ARE READY!! That would be my advice.
on March 7, 2012
The results were astonishing. I did not know I could wittle down that small.
Seriously amazing results but a very tough workout and Jillian can be a bit much. Sometimes I put it on in Spanish to practice my spanish and not have to listen to Jillian go on. Although the dvd is so exhausting so I don't notice everything she is saying anyway.
Level 3 was for me the toughest but they are all very hard workouts.
In the dvd, Jillian and co have lots of different hand weights but I only used one set of 3lb ones and a yoga mat.
There was a roll over move which I didn't do because I only have a yoga mat on a wooden floor but otherwise I did all the workouts and found them easy to follow.
You do not need a lot of space about 6ftx6ft is fine for me (I am 5'8).

I have also completed the 30 day shred program which was easier than this and also gave good results.
All the Jillian dvd's I've tried have been effective. I have tried lots of different dvd's and going to the gym and Jillian has been the quickest and most cost effective way to shift my middle aged spread and fit into the clothes I want to wear.