Customer Discussions > Jillian Michaels - 30 Day Shred forum

Jillian Michaels vs Tracy Anderson - which one is better?

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-9 of 9 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Jul 9, 2009 12:02:36 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jul 9, 2009 1:16:02 PM PDT
I am an avid Jillian Michaels fan and have used all of her DVDs regularly. I have definitely seen major changes in my body, thanks to Jillians intense workouts, but I always like to "change things up" every now and then for variety.

I would love to hear from anyone who has used the Tracy Anderson DVDs (primarily the mat workout) and tell me which workouts are the most effective for weight loss and body toning. Is she really "all that" because Gwyneth and Madonna use her, or is she more hype? I just don't want to waste money on more DVDs if it isn't going to add to my overall workout regimen.

Posted on Jul 14, 2009 5:28:37 PM PDT
you can go to collagevideo. com and preview her dvds. I'm curious about her too, but sometimes her workouts require specific equipment and I like just having a few workout things around. From what I heard, she works.
Good luck

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 15, 2009 10:14:05 AM PDT
Hey! Just wanted to let you guys know that I have all three of the Tracy Anderson DVDs and I LOVE them! I am completely obsessed with all things Tracy Anderson now (I'm a bit ridiculous, I recommended her to all my girlfriends and have hooked many of them as well). It is the hardest and most effective workout I have ever done. I have also done some Jillian Michaels but I prefer Tracy's style much more. The movements are pretty yet incredibly tough and you can actually FEEL your muscles tightening-- it hurts so bad (in a good way)! The results are really fast and amazing also. I recommend getting the mat workout it you are skeptical at first, it has the most bang for your buck.
:-)

Posted on Jul 17, 2009 7:16:26 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jul 17, 2009 7:34:22 PM PDT
S. Kim says:
I think that's awesome that so many people enjoy Tracy Anderson's workouts! :) For me, unfortunately, it does not do the job. I'm an avid exerciser, and fortunate to be fit and healthy - have tried everything under the sun. I've had Mat workout DVD for a few months now. I've only done it a few times and I'll probably sell it -- there are some nice things about it (I like the arm and mat ab work), but ultimately the DVD has its limitations and problems. (see the reviews) More importantly, I found that there is physically a limit to what I can achieve with this. Knowing what I know now, I regret the Tracy Anderson DVD purchase and cannot really recommend it to anyone. If you want a dancerly-pilates based work out that incorporates light weights and high reps, I would instead highly recommend the Exhale Core Fusion Body Sculpt DVD. The production value is significantly higher than TA's Mat workout, and I find it to be far more effective for toning, with MUCH better instruction, coverage and style - at 1/3 of the cost. Also, there's an intelligence and a genuinely positive approach to Core Fusion, which makes a huge difference for me. To give some perspective, I also really love Jillian Michaels. Just did JM's "No More Trouble Zones" for the first time today and it was vigorous, pushed me to my limits. I feel that every muscle in my body was fatigued, and I got an incredible cardio workout in also (my heart rate monitor indicated I burned 550 cal). I personally enjoy that style a lot; it's really the only way I get results - but not everyone will want such a hard core, non-stop boot camp style (albeit still positive and fun). So my vote is on Jillian Michaels all the way. Anyway, whatever you decide, good luck and enjoy!

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 18, 2009 4:27:04 AM PDT
Thank you for your detailed breakdown of the differences in style. I am a huge JM fan and use her DVDs a lot, but I was curious to see if incorporating TA into my routine would be beneficial or a waste of time. You're not the only one who has said that her lack of instruction and transition have been problems. I truly appreciate your insight. Thanks again.

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 18, 2009 4:28:05 AM PDT
Thanks for letting me know the successes you've been having with the TA workouts. I will have to try TA and see which style works best for my body and my workout style. :) Your feedback has made me curious.

Posted on Jul 24, 2009 9:57:39 PM PDT
kk says:
I LOVE the TA mat workout, but its the first video I ever got.
TA is not for everyone, but I like her lack of chat and I like the results best of all, esp when I combine it with running outdoors. I also bought the TA cardio, but immediately cramped up my calf for a week on it, I'm thinking it may be too high impact for my knees, I don't want to wreck mine doing these DVDs! ( Im 40, in pretty good shape , not a slug, not a marine either..) So what do you think? Do knees strengthen? And I should try the JM?

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 25, 2009 5:21:40 AM PDT
I really love Jillian Michaels, but she also works the knees. I'm 41 and sometimes have to supplement the exercises when JM works the knees too much. Overall, my body changed significantly for the positive since incorporating JM into my exercise routine. I do aerobics to make sure I get lots of cardio, but JM really changes your body with the strength work. Highly recommended for improved and increased tone!!!!!

Posted on Aug 5, 2009 1:25:20 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Aug 5, 2009 1:28:52 AM PDT
SusyQ says:
The TA dvd is awesome and there are many postitive reviews.(as there are with JM!)..I find TA much better than the Core Fusion Body sculpt (so boring)..I have used the JM shred combined with the TA mat method and have had results I could not have imagined! The TA workout gives good results faster than many other dvd's I have tried and I love the JM shred video alot as well..I don't find the lack of instruction of TA's video to be an issue at all..it is easy to figure out and I dont like alot of chatter anyway while working out. TA has a great style and the arm workouts have been very defining to me and I cannot believe how much better my arms look after doing TA's dvd..I use the TZ method dvd the most and alternate with the Shred at times too..I dont think anyone could go wrong with either of these workouts..they are fantastic, but my preference is definitely TA
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Participants:  6
Total posts:  9
Initial post:  Jul 9, 2009
Latest post:  Aug 5, 2009

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 4 customers

Search Customer Discussions
This discussion is about
Jillian Michaels - 30 Day Shred
Jillian Michaels - 30 Day Shred by Jillian Michaels (DVD - 2008)
4.6 out of 5 stars   (5,212)