1,267 Reviews

1,529 of 1,551 people found the following review helpful
4.0 out of 5 stars Good Yoga Video, Even if You're Not a Jillian Fan
I'm starting from the standpoint of years of yoga practice and having taught Pilates professionally for seven years: needless to say, the boot camp style of "Biggest Loser" isn't exactly what I would go looking for in a yoga tape.

Published on March 2, 2010 by Poppyx

2.0 out of 5 stars Great workout;Less than great yoga
This is definitely a high powered workout. I believe it will help you burn calories and increase muscle tone. But if you want to experience the full range of the benefits of yoga (along with the aforementioned), this is not a good pick and is absolutely not the best place to start.
Published on March 13, 2010 by Amazon Customer

1,529 of 1,551 people found the following review helpful
4.0 out of 5 stars Good Yoga Video, Even if You're Not a Jillian Fan, March 2, 2010
This review is from: Jillian Michaels: Yoga Meltdown (DVD)

My initial Pilates-teacher bias notwithstanding, this is actually pretty interesting. It takes standard yoga poses and adds repetitions to the movement. What's really smart about it is three things:

1.) The repetitions are movements that don't put a lot of pressure on major joints--you're not moving through the joints in such a way that there is a lot of force, so this isn't likely to cause injury. Specifically, what you're not doing, is rolling through shoulder joints repeatedly, with all your weight on your shoulders, as in most Ashtanga yoga--which does tend to cause injuries.

2.) It's interval training. What that means is that your heart rate goes up and down a lot. Your body, in response, will default to a higher level of calorie burning and oxygen use, so this is a pretty good way to increase metabolism and what we think of as "lung capacity."

3.) It's difficult enough that you don't feel like you're wasting your time. Each workout is only 30 minutes, but it's difficult enough that, if your goal that day is fitness, you're definitely getting your money's worth.

Some negatives: it's filmed on a really bright gym set, which is a little difficult to watch; Jillian doesn't actually do all the poses; sometimes it's hard to see the beginner model when you need to.

Who this is for: experienced yoga folks who want a different kind of more athletic short practice; anyone wanting to add gym-based yoga to their workouts.

Who this is not for: if you have bad wrists, this might be undoable. Your knees also should be good enough to get up and down from the floor without difficulty.

However, this is a fairly safe, more difficult yoga dvd.

Yogi Eric Schiffman has been quoted as saying, "The point with yoga, is to do it a lot." If having another instructor in your dvd rotation, one who isn't airy-fairy, and overly emotional, for days when you just can't go there, then this is worth adding to the mix.

5.0 out of 5 stars New part of my daily routine, March 3, 2010
This review is from: Jillian Michaels: Yoga Meltdown (DVD)
I'm a marathon runner, and I'm used to burning through calories quickly when I exercise, so I've always found yoga frustrating for its slow pace. When I finish a yoga exercise, I feel frustrated, like I should have spent those 30 or 60 minutes running. Most of the yoga classes and videos I've tried before felt more like stretching than working out, and I felt like I wasn't being very efficient with my time.

I had a feeling Jillian's video would be a good fit for me. It seemed more aeorbic than the yoga I've been exposed to before, which I liked. I was working hard enough and my heart was getting warm enough that, by the end, the time I spent doing the video didn't seem wasteful or frustrating. I plan to incorporate this into my nightly routine to wind down, and hopefully start to increase my flexibility.

4.0 out of 5 stars Blasphemous, yes, but on the other hand..., September 11, 2010
This review is from: Jillian Michaels: Yoga Meltdown (DVD)
I am an aspiring Yogini with about a year of consistent practice under my belt. I picked Yoga Meltdown because I became a huge Jillian Michaels fan after purchasing Jillian Michaels: No More Trouble Zones. Since I love a good workout, AND I love yoga, I thought: "I can't go wrong with this video!"

Well, it turned out to be the craziest exercise situation I've ever been in. I never dreamed I would EVER hear the words: "Who's your daddy!!?" being shouted at me during a yoga session! In fact, I never got through it the first time because I spent most of the time on the floor laughing! Still, since I already have an extensive yoga library (full of "serious" yoga), I welcome this addition and will likely use it as a warm-up before doing another yoga video.

If you are a die-hard yoga fundamentalist DO NOT BUY THIS ONE!! I promise you that if you are a hard-core purist, you will see this video as nothing less than profane. When you see how Jillian has done things like turning Upward Bow into a set of inverted push-ups you'll be scandalized and outraged. Spare yourself the coronary and just look elsewhere: Power Yoga - Total Body Workout.

If you are brand-new to yoga DO NOT BUY THIS ONE, because you WILL NOT know how to make the repetitions safe for your knees and wrists. The problem is not the type of poses (they are all basic), but in order to do reps, even with basic poses, it is IMPERATIVE that you are fully competent with proper alignment. Otherwise you are likely to hurt yourself. Try Rodney Yee's Yoga for Beginners instead.

To experienced Yogis and Yoginis who (like myself) have a sense of humor and enjoy a good work out: you may really like this one! Yes, it's pretty far out there on the edge of the yoga continuum, but so what!? Once you can do the routine (without collapsing into helpless giggling) you will find that this is a very challening workout that will make you sweat. I would recommend that you make the workout what you want it to be (modify to make transitions more graceful, or simply to guard your joints).

Jillian herself is pretty hilarious during this video, too. You will see her in a new light, which may endear her to you a little, since even SHE can't do some of the poses! In fact, I think she actually FELL OVER during Standing Head-to-Knee pose, because just as she's losing her balance the camera shoots over to one of her assistants. The camera then STAYS on the assistant, until Jillian finally comes walking over to "coach" her. It's a total SCREAM!

I imagine that Jillian must have gotten talked into making this video before she was ready (though, for the most part she does demonstrate proper alignment). At any rate, she definitely gets an A for effort. And she even seems humbled by the experience, stating several times throughout the workout: "it's not about being perfect, but about being perfect in your imperfection." If she means that we should accept ourselves no matter where we are on our journey, then I total agree.

2.0 out of 5 stars Great workout;Less than great yoga, March 13, 2010
Amazon Customer (Mifflin, PA, United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Jillian Michaels: Yoga Meltdown (DVD)
I've been doing yoga for over 30 years and I've really come to appreciate the freshness brought to the practice by innovative teachers. I'm very open minded. But, I don't think Jillian has the experience to be an effective yoga teacher--- yet. I don't think yoga has to involve eastern thought; that's not what's missing. What this lacks is the foundations of yoga; proper use of the breath and attention to the energy that we get from it. Sure, Jillian says to move with your breath and the models purse their lips as they exhale so you can see that an effort is being made to synchronize movement with breath. But the energetic flow is just not there, so the energy gain is not there; only a loss of energy. I don't mean to seem vague and point to some imaginary, woozy thing. I'm talking about something thousands of people feel everyday at the end of their yoga practice that I think will be missed at the end of this one. Just imagine burning calories (using energy) yet gaining even more energy to use for the rest of your day. When you do a high energy yoga practice properly, you gain so much energy from the practice that in spite of burning mega calories and using body weight to build muscles you feel energized and balanced when you're done. I didn't feel that way at the end of this one. If you want a fast-paced, effective yoga practice with all of the benefits and very little hype I would recommend Shiva Rea. Shiva Rea: Daily Energy - Vinyasa Flow YogaYoga ShaktiThe newest DVD- Daily Energy- is great and the older Shakti Yoga is the best for both intensity and foundation. Bryan Kest Bryan Kest Power Yoga Complete Collectionand Rodney Yee Power Yoga - Total Body Workoutare excellent also You,ll sweat and feel your strength (muscles) grow while getting all of the benefits touted in the research on yoga. In all fairness, I've only worked with this DVD a few times. But I've worked with a few over the years and there should be something energizing in the practice even in the first few sessions when you're learning the routines. I'll try it a few weeks and then report back.

5.0 out of 5 stars Jillian keeps it fresh, March 2, 2010
This review is from: Jillian Michaels: Yoga Meltdown (DVD)
I love Yoga and although this DVD is not a traditional yoga workout I like how Jillian incorporates Yoga into her style of training. I also respect her for bringing in a yoga expert to consult on the DVD's workouts with her. I think this will be good for beginners who are looking to get a taste of yoga and find out what it's all about. And, for the more advanced athlete, if you are thinking this is going to be a zen workout think again. I was drenched in sweat after doing level 2. Highly recommend.

3.0 out of 5 stars Jililan should stick to cardio/strength circuits, March 10, 2010
A. Great Notion (San Francisco, CA United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Jillian Michaels: Yoga Meltdown (DVD)
I am a huge fan of all of Jillian's DVDs and have taken my fair share of yoga classes, so I thought this might be a nice change from the usual cardio/strength circuit training. Unlike some reviewers, I never had a doubt that yoga can be a great workout. Unfortunately, this is really not a yoga DVD. It takes yoga poses and tries to cram them into a workout, but it lacks instruction on alignment and even breathing. The vinyasas are incomplete. I also generally love her yelling encouragement at me when I'm jumping up and down or lifting handweights in my living room, but her style just doesn't work for yoga.

On the upside, it is challenging strength-wise, and it's yoga-like, so it's not the worst yoga video I've ever tried. If you want to try yoga as a workout, go to a class or two before deciding that this yoga DVD is for you. Instructors are there to correct your alignment, so even if you think you're doing it right, you may not be, and it's good to work the poses out in person before you try to practice at home. Unfortunately with a DVD, Jillian can't tell you you're doing it wrong. If you reaaaally don't want to go to a studio, check out DVDs from more established yoga instructors as other reviewers have suggested. Their guidance will definitely help reduce the risk of you hurting yourself.

1.0 out of 5 stars Jillian MIchaels and yoga do not mix!, October 9, 2010
This review is from: Jillian Michaels: Yoga Meltdown (DVD)
I adore every single one of Jillian's workout dvds except this one. In fact, I think her 30-day Shred, Master Metabolism, and No More Trouble Zones are brilliant, 5 star, best of the best by far, my all-time faves. This yoga one, however, is beyond terrible. It's insulting. I love yoga, and have taken lots of classes including Bikrams, and have tried dozens of dvds. JILLIAN MICHAELS AND YOGA DO NOT MIX!!! Seriously? The aggressive "Who's your Daddy?!" comments sound so wrong in a yoga context. The pace is off (she thinks you have to go really "fast" to get your heart pumping for a workout--just holding a good pose will do that); the sound is off (I've tried the dvd 3+ times and must have said "What did she say??" a hundred times"); and the vibe is way off. By vibe I'm not saying I need an ocean scene and new age music in the background and some soothing monotone voice telling me to breathe in and out; I'm talking about a certain rightness, like the teacher really knows and appreciates their work and WANTS to share. Somehow, you kind of get the feeling Jillian really hates yoga and is only doing it because it's trendy and she can make money off it. She warps it into something off. Sour milk for sure. My husband shares my opinions; he likes Sara Ivanhoe (gentler). If you want cardio with yoga, I recommend Bob Harper's Biggest Loser Weight Loss Yoga--you can tell he gets it. Jillian doesn't.

5.0 out of 5 stars Power Yoga, May 17, 2011
This review is from: Jillian Michaels: Yoga Meltdown (DVD)
I read the poor reviews for this, and thought I would dislike it since I am a Yoga instructor and take my practice seriously! I love Shiva Rea and Rodney lee. But thought I'd give Jillian a chance. While this is short only 35 minutes each. Together you get 65 minutes (not 70 because the cool down stretches are the same I skip the first one) It could be more challenging,It is easier than I would've liked. But I did enjoy it! Its got a power Yoga style that makes you work! It IS yoga, for those who say its not, its just a different style, but you see the moves such as warrior 3, high crescent, you have sun salutations, and more! I liked it it was different and out of my normal practice. Fun, and efficient (: PS. for those who said Jillian "Mocked" Yoga, she says that she fell in love with the practice and that it was out of her comfort level, I saw nothing that Mocked the art. Only someone who did it in their own style!

1.0 out of 5 stars This is NOT YOGA but --CARDIO using YOGA poses, December 26, 2011
This review is from: Jillian Michaels: Yoga Meltdown (DVD)
As a person who enjoys the benefits of eastern yoga, Jillian's Yoga Meltdown misses the mark! This is a Cardio video that just uses yoga positions. She goes way to fast going from pose to pose and does not hold the positions for any lenght of time. Her bouncing up and down for Warrior 1 pose can cause knee injuries if there is no control. Yoga is for stretching and building muscle strength. You do not need to bounce to get your heart rate up. Hold Plank for 45 sec to 2 minutes will get your heart rate up trust me. As a person who also does "HOT" Yoga where the room is set to 95 degrees, that will also get your heart rate up. If anyone is looking for a Yoga video to DESTRESS, STRETCH, and MEDITATION I would suggest any other GAIAM production yoga videos. Yoga for Beginners by Rodney Yee and his other title AM and PM Yoga are excellent for beginers. Rodney shows you step by step correct form which is manditory to prevent injury. Rodney Yee is a professionally trained ballet dancer who went to India to be trained in Yoga. Jillian also does not go deep enough on proper positioning for any of the moves, she does talk about modifications briefly but if you don't have the proper form of yoga the modifications are not going to be much better. I will use this video from time to time because I bought it, but it is definitely not YOGA!

5.0 out of 5 stars Better than expected! Nice intro to yoga as a beginner, August 20, 2010
This review is from: Jillian Michaels: Yoga Meltdown (DVD)
I received yoga meltdown in the mail yesterday, and tried it this morning. I disagree with one review that noted this dvd was for people experienced in yoga. First, there are two levels, the 2nd is considerably way more advanced in a shocking, inspiring sort of way ( i took a peek after completing level 1) & in level one you are even shown how to do a simpler version of a pose, so that it's bearable if you're just starting. So, I am writing this feedback as a complete beginner...I have never meditated or practiced yoga in my life - only familiar with some poses for stretching and strengthening I just started doing over the summer like the warrior pose. Most of my weight loss exercise habits have consisted of spending anywhere from 1 to 3 hours at the gym starting with cardio machines followed by weight machines afterward. What I didn't realize until now is that I wasn't achieving the toned look, not even the feeling of getting toned, so when I say a complete beginner, I mean having no background in yoga & just getting started on building strength all over my body. Given that, and if you are a beginner too, & checking out your options, "yoga meltdown" is not discouraging. Yes, I had to pause a few times because keeping some poses longer than 3 seconds starts to hurt & I had to manually pause the dvd to watch how to have the right form & form throughout a move sequence. It was still FUN and you'll probably be surprised or enjoy doing a new pose or new stretch that you've seen before in health mags but don't do because they either look too hard or too simple. I can only say that as with any fitness workouts that challenges your current fitness level, once you learn the moves/poses & be consistent, you will get better at it; maybe I can compare it to muscle memory in addition to improved strength & you won't have to take breaks or pause the dvd anymore! P.S. Do you get a good heart rate workout? YES. I had a cup of water I had to sip maybe once & in one of the plank moves, my arms started to slide of the yoga mat because they were getting sweaty! However, my right wrist ( I have slight wrists) started to hurt during the side planks but it will get better over time with strength. Favorite part of the workout was at the end (I think it was an advance warrior pose position) and Jillian's few words of wisdom.

Jillian Michaels: Yoga Meltdown
Jillian Michaels: Yoga Meltdown by Jillian Michaels (DVD - 2010)
$14.98 $8.82