5.0 out of 5 stars reading hook, July 18, 2008
elba (plant city, fl) - See all my reviews
This series of books is an addiction for my sons. They grab for these books rather than for their "electronics."

5.0 out of 5 stars Jim and me, July 22, 2013
I thought that it was worth five stars because it was extremely interesting and it kept my attention throughout the whole book

5.0 out of 5 stars great, January 8, 2013
Great! This will work well with our school. It will meet the needs of our students and faculty as required.

5.0 out of 5 stars Awesome Book, May 1, 2009
A Kid's Review
I'm Sean Fay and I'm 10 years old (11 on May 12!) and I've read the whole baseball card adventure series and a big fan. I just really wish that Dan Gutman would come out with books in the baseball card adventure series about a lot of the better stars like Jim Abbott (Abbott & Me), or Carl Yastrzemski (Yaz & Me), or maybe even.... Louie Tiant (Louie & Me). So, I hope these books will come in the near and dire future. Thanks!

4.0 out of 5 stars Good read but . . ., June 30, 2009
I'd purchased several of the Baseball Card books for my 12 year old grandson to be read and passed on to his younger brothers. I glance through them first because I like baseball myself and also want to make certain the book is what they should be reading. I was tickled to find the Jim Thorpe book because he's from our county and I'd told my grandson about his sports exploits several times. As I thumbed through this book I saw, once again, a lie that's been told via several books and continues to be passed on because the author of the current book doesn't do his own homework. He states, as other books do, that Shawnee Oklahoma REFUSED to bury Jim Thorpe's body. That's simply untrue. Thorpe's body lay in the local mausoleum for several months while city fathers launched a fund raising effort to build a permanent resting place and memorial for our favorite son. Plans were drawn up and it was to be placed between the football and baseball stadiums on the west side of town. More than $5,000 had been raised when suddenly, literally in the middle of the night, Thorpe's third wife swept him out of town. The stadium was named in his honor and a plaque put in the mausoleum. I know this to be true because my father was on the fund raising committee. As usual, this book is well written and interesting but faulty. Makes me wonder now if there were errors in the others in this series that I've bought.

4.0 out of 5 stars The Last of the Series?, April 3, 2014
I don't know if Dan Gutman is going to write any more of these books or not, but I'll be happy if he does. Not only are they good stories, but I've learned a great deal about baseball that I never picked up as a kid. For various reasons, nobody ever taught me about how to throw, or bat, or field, other than to complain when I messed it up. Well, once I was getting some batting coaching from a kid but he was too good I guess because I hit a line drive down Ohio Avenue and the ball disappeared. So that was my baseball career. This book is a bit less about baseball than the others, because Jim is Jim Thorpe, the top athlete of the 20th century, and maybe ever. Jim got screwed by the "amateur" rule of the Olympics. He lost his medals, which were replaced for his children in 1983. You couldn't call his life tragic, but as I said, he got screwed. On behalf of his chief nemesis (yep,) Stosh goes back in time twice to meet with Jim Thorpe. If I write much more I'll spoil some plot points, but suffice it to say that, as usual, things aren't always smooth for Stosh in the past. He and his nemesis both have some tough times, but they also learn some things about each other. Well, read it and see.

As for me, I'm grateful for the baseball knowledge. I put a small bet on the Cubs to win the series this year (I live where it's legal to do that) so I watched their opener at Pittsburgh. It was a pitchers' duel, something most people find a tad boring. I thought it was one of the best games I've ever seen. Did you ever notice that a batter who swings at the first pitch is almost always going to fail to get on base? True story. Baseball is a wonderful game, very complex and subtle, and at the same time sort of crude. A lot like this country. If you haven't read any of the "Baseball Card Adventures" yet, you should really go back and start with "Honus and Me" and work your back to Jim. You'll be glad you did!

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Book, March 31, 2014
My 9 year old son LOVED this book. He gives it a 5 star rating and would definitely read it again!

5.0 out of 5 stars Make this into a movie, January 26, 2014
Read it plz u will luv it u owe it 2 it self. U won't stop reading until he done

5.0 out of 5 stars great book but are the tricks real!?, July 7, 2013
Caroline (SCOTTSDALE, AZ, US) - See all my reviews
The opposite of Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz
Great word usage! Your Satchel page or Honus Wagner and Jim Thorpe impression was great and I hope real!

5.0 out of 5 stars Great book!, February 23, 2013
My 10 year old son loves all of the baseball books by Gutman. Quick easy read, and very entertaining. I, as an adult, enjoy reading these books as well.

ARRAY(0x9d342444)

Jim & Me (Baseball Card Adventures)
Jim & Me (Baseball Card Adventures) by Dan Gutman (Paperback - February 23, 2010)
$5.99 $5.39