Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: Jo Dee Messina
Automotive Deals HPCC Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer CafeSociety CafeSociety CafeSociety  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Water Sports

Format: Audio CD|Change

on March 8, 2003
Jo Dee Messina's self titled debut album sets the stage for an enigmatic performer, and the promise of good things to come in the future. The big hit single was "Heads Carolina, Tails California", arguably her best single to date. It also turned out hits like the uptempo "You're Not In Kansas Anymore", "Do You Wanna Make Something Of It" and the tender beautiful ballad "He'd Never Seen Julie Cry". There is other great moments on the album, such as two ballads which highlight the set, titled "Let It Go" and "I Didn't Have To Leave You". She has attitude and spunk to spare, and personality, which comes out in her music. Her next album I'M ALRIGHT even bettered this one, but this one is a good jumping point for a newcomer, and well worth checking out.
on November 14, 1999
This album and "I'm Alright" are to very good albms from Jo De Messina. They get you thinking and moving. YOu got to see Jo De live, she is like a ball of fire all over the stage. And she is just the coolest singer. SHe is also very funny. You have to buy this ablum and "I'm Alright"
on July 16, 1998
I went to see Tim McGraw in concert and the first opening act was a then unknown(to me)Jo Dee Messina. She put forth a pretty good effort on the stage and at the time her song "Heads Carolina Tails California" was just receiving airplay. I really liked the song so I bought the album(CD). I'm glad I did, the songs contained on the CD are very catchy and very well sung. This is by no means a "milestone" album but it is a solid first effort and easy to listen to. If you like country music and songs with catchy hook lines and choruses this album is for you, give it a shot.
on December 29, 1998
Jo Dee puts out such an amazing high piched voice and hits every note perfect. When I first heard "Heads Carolina Tails California" I was hooked then she put out some more singles and I just loved them then she faded away for a little while then she came back with another smash hit "Bye Bye" finally I went out to by her "I'm Alright" album. I loved it so much I just had to go back and get her first album too..and every since then I've been her biggest fan! I suggest everybody get the Album they don't know what their missing!
Jo Dee grew up listening to country music, her favorites including the Judds, Dolly Parton, Loretta Lynn, Patsy Cline, Reba McEntire and Hank Williams Jr (she's clearly got impeccable taste). As a teenager, Jo Dee sang in bars at weekends supported by her brother on drums and her sister on bass guitar. Legend has it that she eventually secured a recording contract partly because of her red hair, but she is also a fine singer of contemporary country music who has a knack for selecting (or writing) great songs and that, ultimately, is what matters.

Many of the songs are up-tempo although Jo can sing slower songs too, when she chooses to. Heads Carolina tails California is an up-tempo song about somebody looking for adventure. In contrast is the outstanding ballad, He'd never seen Julie cry.

Jo Dee co-wrote Wing and a prayer (about the end of a relationship) but otherwise left the songwriting to others, apparently listening to over a thousand songs in deciding what to include on the album.

The closing track, Another shoulder at the wheel, is a cover of a song previously recorded by the Forester sisters - not that many people would notice, since the album on which the original version appeared (I got a date) was not a huge seller.

Although only two of the tracks (You're not in Kansas anymore, Heads Carolina tails California) made it on to her greatest hits collection, there are many great songs here. Overall, this album is not has strong as the follow-up (I'm alright) but it is a very impressive debut. By all means, begin your Jo Dee collection with I'm alright - or Greatest hits - but don't overlook this one.
on February 18, 2005
I love plenty of Contemporary Country music... everything from "New Bluegrass" (Alison Krauss & Union Station) to "New Country" like Reba McEntire, Rascal Flatts, Brad Paisley, Martina... even a lot of Faith & Shania.

But I think this CD is crap.

The single star is for the only good song on the album, "Heads Carolina, Tails California" -- but really, 1 star for one good song out of ten is a bit too generous. I'm astounded at how bad the other 9 songs are... elementary-school rhyming, uninspired melody lines, stupid lyrics, below-average accompaniment, etc.

One of the most annoying things to me is her habit of overpronnouncing every word in a song... I'd guess someone told her at some point that she slurs her words, and she was trying to overcompensate. The result should be titled "Hooked on Phonics, starring JoDee Messina." Listen to the preview of "On a Wing and a Prayer" for a good example of what I'm talking about.

I thank my lucky stars I borrowed this cotton candy from the library, rather than shelling out $16 for one song. Do yourself a favor and buy "Heads Carolina, Tails California" online if you must have it.
on July 18, 2007
This was a good debut album from Jo Dee, introducing the music scene to her energetic brand of country with a bit of a rock edge. It's kind of interesting that she hails from Boston - not usually regarded as a country music stronghold. She chose to do this kind of music and does it well. The songs keep the listener's attention and stay in the head. It's good stuff. Here are some noteworthy tunes:

Not in Kansas Anymore

You Wanna Make Something of It - very energetic, Jo Dee delivers it with great attitude

Let it Go - genuinely moving song about how a couple needs to get past some hurt from the past if they're to move on

Head Carolina, Tails California
on July 28, 2000
I think that this Karaoke CD is great! I have used many other accompanyment tapes in the past and this one outranked the others . The sound quality was really good. The only thing that I didn't like was the singer who teaches the listener how to sing the songs if they don't already know them. She was ok, but the title of the CD is sing like Jo Dee, not sing like a wanna-bee. It was like she was trying to outdo the original artist. When I see "sing like Jo Dee", that is who I want to sound like, not some two-bit impersonator.
I gave this CD four stars because the accompanyment music was great and sounded a lot like the original song, but the singer on the learning part left a lot to be desired.
on November 18, 2001
This is a wonderful CD! Jo Dee Messina makes a great debut album. I would recommend this to anyone who likes country music. From her upbeat tunes in "Heads Carolina, Tails California" to her sad tunes in "He'd Never Seen Julie Cry", this CD has it all! Anyone who likes country music, or anyone who is just looking for a CD to listen to. This is a great CD, that everyone should buy!
on October 26, 2000
I never knew that this album was Jo Dee's First, I always thought that "I'm Allrigt" was her debut CD, because I never found other albums from her. I listened to Heads Carolina, Tails California on the Radio and didn't know where it was. Then I found this album in a local Wal-Mart. I bought it just for one song and maybe that was the wrong thing to do, I really don't listen to any other part of the cd. For that I give it a split 3 star rating, but the song "Heads Carolina, Tails California" deserives a 5 star rating.