5.0 out of 5 stars How to Get More Compliance Than Defiance
Published 9 months ago by Nina L.

3.0 out of 5 stars Some good hints
There are some good hints and tricks in here. Validated some of the things we already do so now to be more consistent.
Published 22 days ago by Nita Rench

5.0 out of 5 stars How to Get More Compliance Than Defiance, March 19, 2014
This review is from: Jo Frost's Toddler Rules: Your 5-Step Guide to Shaping Proper Behavior (Paperback)
I found this book to be reader friendly, supportive in tone as well as full of practical, common sense advice. In order to contribute to developing well-behaved toddlers, Frost clearly explains why it is essential to prioritize the necessary time and energy to become a “disciplined parent” in five key areas: eating, sleeping, going out, early learning and behavior management.

Although the five rules were not what I expected, as only the last one was directly about misbehaviors, her concise rule plan makes good sense. And, I do understand that the process of getting a change in the child’s behavior will first require changes in the parent’s behavior (approach to the issue at hand) such as providing consistent healthy meals, an environment for the required restorative sleep, arranging socialization opportunities and physical activities as well as engaging daily in a variety of early learning experiences. With these first 4 rules consistently in place, we noticed a decrease in behavior problems across the board ;-)

I appreciated the chapter on dealing with the 3 different types of tantrums. Now that we are able to identify which tantrum our daughter is displaying, it is much easier to address it effectively, even those really embarrassing ones in public.

I also want to recommend a respected, classic, trouble-shooting A-Z guide of a similar philosophy called, “The Pocket Parent”, written just for parents of 2, 3, 4 & 5 year olds. This book is organized differently with fast answers so that a parent can quickly flip to the alphabetical listing of behavior problems such as anger, bedtime and mealtime refusals, biting, power struggles, whining, hitting and hurting others and more. The discipline and communication skills of both books go hand-in-hand in gaining more compliance than defiance from the young children while helping maintain your sanity on one of those days we all have once in a while!

5.0 out of 5 stars BEST toddler book out there!, June 28, 2014
If you have a willful toddler and want to bring more joy to your relationship, then buy this book!

I had read Happiest Toddler on the Block, several Positive Discipline books, and a handful of other toddler behavior books, but was still feeling stressed about how to find that right balance of stern and soft. Jo Frost's book nails it and gave me the immediately actionable advice I needed to help my 19-month old with his tantrums.

One of the things I like best about this book is that it doesn't generalize like most of the other books do. The entire thing is pretty much devoted to specific action steps to help you understand when to implement which strategy. She also shows how discipline is a system and how praise, time-outs, cry-it-outs, cuddles, and proper sleep and nutrition all work together to help your child feel secure. It's rare to find a book that is both high-level and detailed at the same time, and the way it was written it felt like I had a trusted friend sitting next to me cheering me on.

I was so happy to see this book on the market because when my son was itty bitty and struggling to sleep in his own room, I remembered a Supernanny episode that showed a mom who stayed in bed with her son every night until he was five. There was a huge strain on the marriage and the mom felt totally helpless. Jo introduced her Sleep Separation technique (explained in detail in the book) and I remembered how tough it was for the mom and child in the short term, but how a firm and consistent message won out in the end. I used the same technique on my son from the beginning and it 100% worked. I was hoping this book would give me similar strategies and I wasn't disappointed. I already see an improvement in my son's behavior, and I am more confident that the discipline choices I'm making are the ones that will help shape him into the respectful man I want him to become. My only wish us that more of her books were available in a Kindle format.

Thank you, Jo! You have made a huge positive difference in my family. :)

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent read for a LONG term solution, March 25, 2014
I was getting desperate as indicated by the actual purchase of a parenting book. I enjoy the Super nanny show but purely for the entertainment factor. HOWEVER, I have a 3 year old that was getting out of control. He was having trouble in daycare, and bedtime was a battle of the wills that we as parents lost often. This book as brought some real peace to my home. It just puts into black and white what we already know, we must be more disciplined as parents. By being more structured with our parenting approach we've been able to find that download time that we all want at the end of the day. Our weekends are fun again and no longer a battle of wills (which again we were losing...) While I don't agree with everything, I do think that some of the fundamentals and principles are key to successful parenting. Thank you Jo doe sharing your knowledge.

4.0 out of 5 stars Could you use a little help from Supernanny for the terrible twos... and the tyrant threes?, May 15, 2014
Jo Frost's Toddler Rules: Your 5-Step Guide to Shaping Proper Behavior by Supernanny Jo Frost is her latest parenting book to help parents of toddlers manage tantrums, will-full behavior, and defiance. The toddler rules are designed to provide discipline, not punishment or submissiveness. As a nanny, Frost's job was to instill discipline in her charges and help raise the children. As an author and educator, Frost is now providing the information, support and tools for parents to learn to discipline and manage their own children. And make no mistake: this is a book about providing structure and discipline in childrearing: both of which Jo Frost clearly feels are needed by today's families.

With 25 years experience, Jo Frost's mission is helping children and parents find rules, strategies and discipline that result in well-behaved children and happy families. Frost considers herself a master teacher: her goal is to work with individual families to find out what solutions work for their situation, and to calmly implement those solutions.
In this book, Frost uses her SOS technique:

Step Back
Observe
Step In

The tools and strategies Frost provides involve a great deal of common-sense and practical advice needed by a loving parent to help them stay focused on their parenting goals. The book not only provides the rules and tools parents need to instill discipline, it also provides explanations as to why a strategy works, and offers suggestions and alternatives to customize the rules to your particular child and family situation.

For example, Frost asks if your family is a one or two parent family: because it makes a difference in parenting if you're operating solo, or if you have another parent to support the rules.
Jo Frost's 5 Toddler Rules

Sufficient sleep and bedtime rules are the foundation for Frost's rules.
Healthy eating and food rules provide children the materials for growth and development.
Playing, sharing and social rules are necessary for toddlers to develop safe social skills with other children and adults.
Childhood education and learning rules are critical for toddlers because 85% of a child's brain develops by the age of 5.
Good behavior rules equip children with an understanding of how - and how not - to treat other people.

The book is formatted and highlighted for easy reading and comprehension, using Nanny Jo tips, charts, action checklists, boxes, and illustrations. The book also contains an Appendix with additional tips for raising toddlers not covered in the earlier chapters.

As part of the book tour, Frost appeared on many daytime news and talk shows promoting her 5 rules and answering audience questions. Search Google for video clips of Frost's appearances to hear her discuss her toddler rules, and answer parent's questions about dealing with the frustrations of raising toddlers.

I like Jo Frost's practical, disciplined approach to raising well-behaved children with a loving but firm hand. Her advice is solid, her recommendations easy to understand, her examples are realistic. JoFrost.com has additional parenting tips and advice, news and appearances, giveaways, and social media channels.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent Book!, April 26, 2014
this is a good handbook for grandmothers too! bought this book for myself, but my daughter loved it so much she has taken it home with her! Jo Frost's approach is definitely positive and encouraging especially when you are feeling overwhelmed or physically challenged as a new grandparent.

5.0 out of 5 stars jo frost toddler rules, April 15, 2014
Awesome! Only half way through but interesting and logical already have better times getting my youngest to go to bed.

5.0 out of 5 stars Loved this book, April 20, 2014
ES "ES" (Dallas, Texas) - See all my reviews
I am a big fan of Jo Frost and this book exceeded my expectations. Jo gives easy to understand "rules" for navigating the sometimes stressful world of toddlers. Especially important is sleep and good food. So much is written about how to handle problems, but the best part of the book are guidelines to prevent negative behavior before it starts.
I had a better appreciation of my toddlers after reading the book and now realize how important fun and hugs and kisses are to raising a happy child.

5.0 out of 5 stars Must have for new mother's AND father's!, August 30, 2014
Bought this for my 2 nieces to share. I read it before I gave it to them to make sure I agreed with Jo Frost's advice. I use to watch her TV show and I implemented her rules and suggestions. I had an 18 month old little girl & used them on her. They worked to my great surprise. If you buy this book and follow her advice, make sure you have the strength to follow through with the consequences. By far the best gift you can get a new mother.

5.0 out of 5 stars great ideas, July 9, 2014
I feel empowered with new tools to improve my toddler's behavior. I've been trying her suggestions just the afternoon after finishing the book, and I can already tell they're working. I am excited to implement more.

4.0 out of 5 stars Love this book, June 27, 2014
I'm still reading this book but I really like all the very practical guidance which is often coupled with specific hypothetical scenarios which we are all likely to encounter with our toddlers. Great book!

Jo Frost's Toddler Rules: Your 5-Step Guide to Shaping Proper Behavior