4.0 out of 5 stars Decent extended feeding solution.
I use these on my tomatoes and hot peppers with good success. These spikes should also work well for any kind of fruiting vegetable.

The spikes last for 8 weeks at a time, and provides a nice, steady slow release fertilizer. This makes for very convenient gardening.

Published on July 25, 2009 by M. Kettler

2.0 out of 5 stars not what I had in mind
I dont really like it cause it requires you to use 8 spikes per plant which makes it very costly to use in a small farm or even a home garden. I wish I knew that before buying it.
Published on October 10, 2011 by Jojo

4.0 out of 5 stars Decent extended feeding solution., July 25, 2009
This review is from: Jobe's 6028 50-Pack Organic Vegetable Fertilizer Food Spikes (Lawn & Patio)

For tomatoes I use them at half the recommended rate, and supplement with potassium and magnesium rich fertilizers (epsom salt, greensand, wood ash, miracle-gro for tomatoes).

For hot peppers I use them at 1/3 the recommended rate and a small amount of epsom salt (these plants don't need much fertilizer, but are somewhat magnesium hungry).

My crops on both kinds of plants are great, and I'm quite happy with these. I only wish they had a low-nitrogen spike with more potassium in it for tomatoes (ie: 2-6-7, instead of 2-7-4)

Edit 6/28/2013:

Previously I could find these locally, but this year I'm having a hard time finding them, so I ordered them from Amazon.

I continue to use these with great results, both in raised beds and potted planters. I also ordered the general purpose (4-4-4) version and am trying it out on leaf-crop herbs (basil, oregano, etc), and leafy houseplants (spider plant, philodendron, etc).

I also notice they have a "Container and Annuals" version which is 3-5-6.. I might try that on tomatoes sometime for the higher potassium, but for now I'm using what I've been happy with.

4.0 out of 5 stars Make Sure to Buy Enough, May 18, 2010
Instructions call for using 8 spikes per plant or 8 spikes per square foot. At 50 spikes per bag, that is enough for 6 plants or 6 square feet. We are not sure if this many are truly required, but have used them as instructed with excellent results. A rather sad Fish Pepper, for example, perked with color and started giving larger fruit within days of application.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fertilizer food spikes, May 17, 2013
I don't know why the package recommends using 8 spikes per plant. Perhaps some soils are so poor and they want to be sure you will get good results. For me, I use only one per plant and they work great. Maybe my soil is exceptional, but I doubt it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Envigorates Plants, July 25, 2013
Pro-gun (New Hampshire) - See all my reviews
Bought these for my pepper plants which had been lagging behind in growth. Instructions say 8 stakes per plant or 8 per square foot. I put one in for each plant about 4" from the stem. Only 3 days later the plants seem to be growing quite well. Would have been better if the description on Amazon told how many to use so I wouldn't have to hunt them down on the manufacturers site to find out.

4.0 out of 5 stars Plants are growing great!, June 28, 2011
A few days of using these, I really saw my vegetables take off! I did not use as many spikes per plant as suggested. Used one bag for a 10x10 area with about 30 plus plants.

5.0 out of 5 stars Worked as expected, July 4, 2010
I bought these food spikes to try around some new planted plants that seemed to be having trouble. Well the spikes worked great, within a few days the plants became more lively and are growing great.

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant, November 8, 2013
Ok all I know is that we used these this growing season and we had an ubelievable bumper crop like never before. Plants were just healthier, producing mega amounts of larger-than-normal produce. Not to mention the convenience of just being able to insert these into growing medium by the plants, plus it is slow-release so the plant keeps getting fed whereas watering with liquid fertilizers is much less efficient since most of it ends up wasted; the plants can't absorb a big dose like that all at once. I will be ordering and using these again next growing season.

2.0 out of 5 stars not what I had in mind, October 10, 2011

3.0 out of 5 stars So how do you really know if it is "working" ?, August 18, 2010
This is tough b/c my tomatoes did pretty good, but whose to say it was due to the one application of this fertilizer? Anyways, I like that it is organic and might buy again next year.

Be warned though, that a package of 50 spikes is only enough for a TINY area of your garden. I was a little shocked when it called for MANY fertilizer spikes near each plant! One bag wasn't enough for my little garden but I just spread it out regardless.

5.0 out of 5 stars It really works!!, January 11, 2011
The best!! My vegetables grew so fast and looked healthy!! I also recommended it to a friend and within a month her roses came back.She is really impressed as well.