Industrial-Sized Deals Shop all Back to School Shop Men's Hightops Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon Iron Maiden $5 Off Fire TV Stick Labor Day Sale in Wine Shop Popular Services hog hog hog  Amazon Echo Starting at $99 Kindle Voyage Nintendo Digital Games Gear Up for Football Deal of the Day

on June 4, 2011
What doesn't seem to be totally clear is that to use this product, you need to remove your iPhone case and put on their (seemingly flimsy) piece of plastic bumper-like case (shown in the pictures above) in order for the rails of the holder to properly grasp your iPhone. Without that being on your iPhone, it just doesn't work. If you put it on, though, it seems to work very nicely. With my iPhone case (which I love), it's a day-long job almost to put on/take off so it's there forever. As a result, the Gorillamobile is quite impractical for me unless I were doing a multi-hour photo shoot or something similar. I'd hoped to be able to have this on my desk to read from the iPhone while typing on my laptop but the hassle of getting my regular case off and back on afterwards and the fear of breaking the black plastic iPhone 'bumper' will keep me from doing that except in dire situations.
on December 4, 2010
I bought this to hold a XT I/R Transmitter. The legs allows me to keep the transmitter off the ground. I can even attach it to a pole or fence. The case for the iPhone 4 is like a heavy duty Apple bumper case. I like that the case has metal buttons. My previous iPhone case was the apple bumper because I liked the open back and the metal buttons. The Joby case also can use older or 3rd party Apple Dock connector cables unlike the Apple Bumper case that forced you to use the slightly smaller iPhone 4 Dock Connector cable. I would rate this case better then the Apple Bumper. To attach your iPhone 4 to the tripod you simply slid the case alone on a set of rails to connect the two.
review image
Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
To get a decent stand for the Iphone camera, I like this, however, be gentle with the tripod flexible legs, because if you move it too much or too hard, it can become frustrating to get the right position. And I do like the many ways this tripod can be flexed to fit various structures, plus ability to wrap around a structure for various positioning. But, be patient with wrapping it and having a secure hold. And, it is easy to position for landscape or portrait shots.

Sometimes the tripod takes some getting used to, some maneuvering around, but in time, you can become more comfortable with setting it up.

The snap-on bumper that holds the phone is delicate, be sure you know how to snap it on and remove it. The clip that holds the phone is also rather delicate plastic. And, leave it on your Iphone if preferred. There is also an adaptor that will screw on to hold a digital camera. That is an added feature to the apparatus, to be able to hold your digital camera. The tripod is a nice feature, but I feel too much manipulating, removing and putting on, can damage the lightweight plastics. .....Rizzo
Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
I have used a larger and more robust version of Joby Gorilla tripod for my Canon XSi DSL camera, and have come to really appreciate its design. However, I was a bit skeptical about the usefulness of such a tripod for an iPhone, but after playing with it for a while I have really started liking it.

Two main functions of a camera tripod are: a) steadying the camera for crisper shots, and b) using it for time-delayed shots of yourself. iPhone 4 has a pretty neat camera, but if you really want to get a nice shot you might as well get a dedicated digital camera. Furthermore, it turns out that the default iPhone camera app does not support time-delay. This is rather odd, as this would be a very simple software feature to implement. There are a few iPhone apps that allow for both time-delay and time-lapse photography, and these apps might be a more suitable choice for the iPhone + tripod setup. Nonetheless, there are few other uses for this tripod with your iPhone that traditional camera have not been designed for.

As mentioned before, iPhone is not really meant to be used like a "real" camera, so there is no direct way of attaching a tripod to it. The solution that the Joby tripod came up is very ingenious: this tripod comes attaches to an iPhone 4 bumper that is included in this package. If you don't own an iPhone 4 bumper but wanted to get one, then this solution may seem ideal for you. However, if you either own and like your bumper, or are not interested in adding bulk to your shiny and elegant iPhone 4, then this "feature" may annoy you.

The bumper itself is OK. It is not as bulky as some other iPhone bumpers/cases that I have seen, but it's not the flimsiest one either. The make of the bumper does not exude elegance, and it feels a bit cheap. However, it is fairly sturdy and has all the requisite functionality that you would expect from it. A couple of issues that I have with bumper's thickness are: a) mute switch is not easily accessible, and b) if you use this bumper then you will not be able to connect your iPhone to the designated alarm clock such as Philips DC290/37 Docking Clock Radio or Memorex Mi4390BLK Clock Radio.

The bumper allows for your iPhone to be attached in either the landscape or the portrait orientation. The former is more convenient for photography or video viewing, while the latter works best for FaceTime video calling. The flexible legs of the tripod are very sturdy, yet extremely flexible. You can either set your iPhone in a traditional horizontal tripod configuration, or attach it to a countless variety of sticking, protruding or hanging objects. The possibilities are literally innumerable.

Thanks to the little camera adapter kit you can use this tripod with your regular point-and-shoot compact camera. For me at least this is the best use for this tripod. The weight limit of a camera that can be put on this tripod is 325 grams, which I think is well within the limits of most compact cameras. I have tested it with both Canon PowerShot S410 (200 grams) and Canon PowerShot SD940IS (120 grams). It worked perfectly with both of them. I also tried it with my Canon Digital Rebel XSi DSLR camera (550 grams), and it even sort of worked with it as well, but I would certainly not recommend it to be used this way. If you suddenly come across Elvis in some remote outpost and there is absolutely no other way of taking a picture of the two of you together, then sure, you may use this tripod with your SLR behemoth. Anything short of that would unnecessarily endanger your camera.

In conclusion, if you don't have too demanding requirements of how you end up using this tripod with your iPhone, or have a very specific idea in mind about what you want to use it for, then this tripod will serve you well. The same holds if you intend to use it with your compact digital camera - it makes an excellent and versatile stand. However, as an iPhone 4 tripod it has several shortcomings. These are not serious enough to prevent you from using it in a manner that it was intended, but this is certainly not a tripod that will serve everyone's needs. I am personally very happy with it and intend to use it quite a bit.
VINE VOICEon February 24, 2011
Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
I have one of the gorilla tripods for my regular digital camera, and I LOVE it, so I was all excited to see this one for the iphone -- especially since now that I have the iphone4, I've pretty much stopped carrying around my regular camera altogether. There are lots of times in which a decent, compact, adjustable little tripod would be awesome -- including myself in photos, holding the phone in the right spot for video chatting, keeping the phone steady for low light pics, etc. I tried it for awhile, and then I lent it to some friends and had them try it -- mostly thinking "Well, maybe it's just me, and it will be a great tool for someone else!"

Unfortunately, as excited as I was, this really didn't meet my expectations (or those of my friends), for a couple of different reasons:

1) You can really only use the tripod while using the included iphone case. And like many folks, I already have a case that I love, that is both better looking and probably more protective than this one. My current case (a speck candyshell) really isn't that easy to get on and off, and neither is the one included with this -- so swapping cases every time I want to use the iphone with the tripod just isn't a workable solution.

2) Not only is the case plain and boring and a bit of a pain to put on, there are also some really significant problems with the design -- the case rubs up against the iphone buttons wrong, and we each had a lot of problems with the phone registering a button being pushed when we hadn't. So leaving the included case on made the phone *less* useful for regular everyday use outside of picture snapping, and the button pushing even interfered with picture taking on a couple of occasions.

Overall, I think the actual gorilla tripod is a great device -- there just needs to be a better way to use it than with this case.
Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
I might be blaming Joby for not doing the impossible. What would have been great is if they could mount a tripod directly on an iPhone 4 without the use of a cumbersome case, that would have been useful. As it is, I have to review both the tripod itself which is nice and useful along with Joby's version of a bumper case which I just don't like.

The tripod is useful, and fantastically flexible as all the pictures indicate. You can mount your iPhone over several inches of height, and even hang it upside down. Hidden in the box is a standard 1/4" 20 screw adaptor for using with more traditional cameras, although you are limited to lightweight cameras. I tried a Nikon D-3100 DSLR, and that was too heavy for the pivot under the camera, it drooped from most angles, and required me to splay the legs nearly flat to avoid tipping. A lighter camera, like a point and shoot, or in my case a Bloggie pocket video camera worked fine. The tripod is 5 stars worth of cool utility.

For use with an iPhone 4, a bumper style case is provided, and this I don't like. I didn't like Apple's bumper case, and this is worse. The material is a stiff plastic, and sort of cheap looking. In the case, you cannot put the phone in a charging dock, although a standard apple dock cable will work. In the case, the phone is noticeably wide, too wide for my taste, and hard to hold. The case is held together with a kind of jigsaw connector in one corner, taking a bit of effort and attention to get it on and off. I cannot see myself using this case all day in the off chance I'll need to use the tripod, so setup times will increase as I first put on the case and then insert it into the tripod mount.

I bought a simple slip-on tripod adaptor called "the Glif" which allows me to press my iPhone 4 quickly into place, for quick shots without making me snap on the bumper case. And as it has a standard 1/4" 20 threading, I can combine it with this Gorillamobile. However, it is not nearly as secure as the bumper case. No hanging upside down with a Glif. Also, the friction based Glif cause crimping of my gel-a-skin on my iPhones backside glass. So, it isn't a perfect solution either.

Anyway, a decently made tripod, and if you are going to be spending the day needing tripod shots from your phone, then this may well be the accessory for you. As the iPhone's camera app does not have a timer, I bought the ProCamera app from the iOS App Store, and that has a timer and many, many other features which I can recommend to someone with non-basic photo needs.
review image
on February 24, 2011
Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
I've had a Gorillapod for over the last year and think it's an excellent (5/5 star) product. It works really well with my point-and-shoot digital camera; when I'm not using the tripod, the little locking mechanism that is screwed in at the bottom of the camera is unobtrusive and doesn't get in the way. The tripod itself is amazing and works in many situations where a traditional tripod would fail such as around branches, over chairs, uneven boulders, etc...

Enter the Gorillamobile... The tripod itself is exactly the the same as the one I've been using with with my digital camera. 5/5 stars for design. Where there Gorillamobile falls short is the actually iPhone case that is required clip onto use the tripod. The case is like a cheap version of Apple's bumper case. The case does little to protect the phone. As a result, I defaulted back to my usual iPhone case. Now, when I want to use the Gorillamobile, I need to switch cases. This completely removes the "convenience factor" I have grown to love with my digital camera's Gorillapod.

This product definitely has 5/5 star potential; if only Joby could improve the case!
on December 19, 2010
This is such a great idea. More times than I can remember I wished I had some sort of tripod for my phone. I had a Nokia previously and its camera was surprisingly good. I used it a lot more often than I thought I would. Now that I have an iPhone4 I'm looking forward to using this tripod to get sharper pictures and stable videos.

Construction and mounting method, both the frame on the camera and the camera to the tripod are very well done. The tripod comes with an adapter to allow you to use it with a point and shoot camera.
on June 3, 2011
I needed this devise to more comfortably view movies on my iPhone when I travel (ie. so I don't need to hold it).
I used to have the Gorilla Mobile with the suction cups, which I was quite happy with. Unfortunately, I left it on a plane and had to get a new one.
I decided to try this version since it seemed more secure for the iPhone. And true enough, it is.

Pluses (versus my previous one):
- More secure. I can even hang my devise upside-down without fear of it falling. My phone would often fall off the suction cups with the previous one.
- More versatile. Because it's more secure, I can twist the legs into various positions, hang it side ways, etc. This is useful when using it in a plane or in a car.

Minuses:
- Less versatile. Can only be used on one devise.
- A bit of a hassle. I need to remove the casing on my iPhone and use the special casing that comes with this. (Aesthetically, I prefer my usual casing to the one that comes with this, so I only use this when I travel.)
- Casing is not a perfect fit to my iPhone. Every time I put it on, the screen and back protectors of my phone gets a bit ruined.

Bottomline, it fits my needs, but not perfectly.
on February 25, 2011
I'm going to return this. One complaint is that it is not compatible with all cases. I'm using the CaseMate carbon fiber case. The holder needs to be flexible enough so I can connect my iPhone 4 to it with the case on.

The biggest complaint though is that the Joby case is not compatible with decal stickers or skin/face protectors. I'm using the Zagg invisibleSHIELD and when I attach the Joby case to it, it fits too tight. The case pushes up against the protector and moves it out of place/makes air bubbles. On the front and back, it moves the protector over the cameras where the holes in the protector should be. It needs to be able to handle stickers and face protectors.

The legs seem pretty sturdy though. If Joby fixes the connector part which attaches to the phone, this product would be perfect for my needs.

See 1 answered question