Industrial-Sized Deals TextBTS15 Shop Women's Handbags Learn more nav_sap_plcc_6M_fly_beacon Beach House $5 Off Fire TV Stick Grocery Shop Popular Services pivdl pivdl pivdl  Amazon Echo Starting at $99 Kindle Voyage Nintendo Digital Games Shop Back to School with Amazon Back to School with Amazon Outdoor Recreation Baby Sale

Joby UltraFit Sling Strap For Men, Charcoal
Style: For MenSize: S-LChange
Price:$33.00+Free shipping with Amazon Prime

on May 8, 2013
I've been using a BlackRapid sport strap for a few years now and needed a strap for my second camera, so I decided to give this a try.

First up, it's a different approach to a shoulder strap than the BlackRapid. It's pretty clear if you watch the videos: the Joby is designed to make the tightening and loosing part of using the strap super easy, while the BlackRapid is designed to make pulling up and setting down the camera from its resting position super easy.

To me, they each excel for certain purposes: The Joby is best if you're going to be moving around a lot and infrequently bringing the camera up to shoot, or when you do bring the camera up you're not letting it rest much till you tighten the strap back down and start walking. So it'd be good if you were out on a walk, hike, whatever and want a camera ready but out of the way. The BlackRapid is much better if you're frequently putting the camera down and bringing it up again. Bringing up and putting down the camera is far more comfortable thanks to the sliding carabiner. There's nothing to think about and it's extremely comfortable. The Joby tends to rub on my neck a bit and feels a little awkward in comparison. But it's a pain to tighten the blackrapid strap if you're going to be moving a lot. You almost need to take it off.

Joby's construction and material are nicer than Blackrapid's. BlackRapid uses standard nylon webbing and pads that look and feel cheap, with cheesy chromed out metal hardware. Joby's webbing feels more like seatbelt material--it's much nicer overall.

As nice as the Joby is, I prefer BlackRapid's system. It just fits my needs better. That said, either is a massive improvement over traditional neck straps. If you've never tried either system you owe it to yourself to give at least one of them a shot.
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
Sorry, we failed to record your vote. Please try again
If you have a contemporary DSLR with a lens mounted on it, and hanging around your neck with a standard strap, you can start a day of picture-taking with wonderful intentions. But after a few hours of walking around this way, that 1½ pound camera begins to feel like you're carrying a concrete block, or perhaps two of them. I was skeptical at first as to whether a sling strap of any kind would be worthwhile, but I had a few things to learn.

For me, this Joby UltraFit Sling Strap for Men for DSLRs or CSCs proved to be a solution to the issue described above, and it's one shared by many of us who carry DSLR cameras. I had already tried a few slings straps from various manufacturers; some were excellent, some were cumbersome hassles, and a few were a farce. Easiest way to describe the array of them would be to recall the title of Sergio Leone's 1966 Italian epic Spaghetti western film, "The Good, the Bad and the Ugly."

It doesn't take much to do the do the math here: my Nikon D5000 weighs about 20 ounces with the battery, some of my lenses come in at about 12 ounces, and my DSLR Battery Grip with the pair of batteries in its base are around 12 ounces. That makes a total of 44 ounces, or 2¾ pounds. As a result, I've gone through a few camera straps with each one getting wider while trying to find the best solution. As a result, there have been times that I've carried fewer lenses, or left the battery grip behind, only to regret it later. And without delving into all of the pros and cons of the other sling-type straps that I've encountered, I'll focus on this one, as it worked best for me.

In Use:

This Joby UltraFit Sling Strap is far simpler to adjust and use than one might think when looking at the images, and its simplicity makes it such a useful product. You simply remove it from the package, screw the ¼-20" thumbscrew fastener into the camera's tripod socket, then slip it over your head in a cross-ways fashion. A couple of quick adjustments with the cinch mechanisms and you're on your way; it couldn't be simpler. If you need to tweak the adjustments, that's simple as well.

In use in the field, the first thing that one notices that the Joby strap is extremely comfortable, and someone really thought of ergonomics with this strap. The width is neither too skinny nor is it too wide, and even with a heavier camera setup and longer lenses, it's surprisingly comfortable in use. There's not much padding on the portion of the strap than goes over the shoulder, but it has a comfortable width, and it distributes the weight of the DSLR and lens over your shoulder muscles, even with a battery grip adding to it all. Needless to say, it also seems to eliminate headaches due to the strain that we go through under conditions like this.

My first extended "under-fire" experience using this Joby UltraFit strap occurred in the days following Hurricane Sandy when photographing the damage in Downtown Manhattan. During those days and evenings, my DSLR was being carried for eight to ten hours at a time, dealing with crowded bus trips, drippy weather, and a lot of walking with the Joby strap over one shoulder and a loaded camera bag over the other. The camera bag had been emptied so that we could ferry spare batteries, canned food and basic essentials to those who couldn't get out. But this UltraFit strap took away from so much of the pain that had been normally encountered during such stress conditions. If I had any remaining small doubts beforehand, they were removed completely during those extended days and nights.

Summary:

This Joby UltraFit Sling Strap for Men for DSLRs or CSCs proved itself to me under extreme conditions, and now it's become a permanent addition to my DSLR. There's also a Joby UltraFit Sling Strap for Women available, which should be equally good from my experience with the version for men. If there was any improvement that I might look for in the future, it would be for a quick-release option to be added where one could detach the DSLR quickly for switching to a tripod. But that's not a show-stopper, as this strap has proven itself beyond anything that this one-time skeptic might have imagined.

11/19/2012
55 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on September 26, 2013
I purchased a Joby sling in August ahead of photographing a wedding. It functioned well for the duration of the day, but last night when I relied on it for an outdoor event, the strap failed miserably. The resulting failure sent my Canon 7D and lens falling about 3 feet onto a concrete sidewalk, breaking the lens hood and filter and seriously dinging the body of my camera and lens. This happened not even 30 steps from exiting my car and after I had checked the screw at home to ensure it was still tightly attached. It worked loose very, very fast.

I'll be taking it to a local camera shop to have it examined and determine if there is any internal damage to the body or lens. I've had the body since 2010 and the camera was babied, cleaned and handled with the utmost care, so this is unbelievably upsetting. Prior to this sling, I avoided straps and slings primarily because I did not want to trust $3,000 worth of photography equipment to a cheap piece of nylon.

I had read good things about the Joby sling prior to my purchase but now I simply cannot recommend it to others.

NOTES:
-I've been photographing at a semi-professional level for 8 years.
-Prior to my mishap yesterday, I cleaned my lens and re-tightened the strap. It came loose and detached within not even 30 steps of leaving my car.
-The strap was attached to the 7D directly, not a battery grip or anything else.
2020 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on November 9, 2012
There aren't many reviews on the strap yet, so I thought I post my view.
I didn't actually purchase it on Amazon because once I set my mind on getting it I was too impatient and wanted to have it immediately :), yet Amazon constantly run out of stack, so I just went to B&H and grabbed one there. I've only had the Joby Strap for a little less than a week so I did not get a chance to use it extensively yet but was very pleased with it when I did use it.
The below is really just first impression and a comparison to other straps I used or considered.

I used couple shoulder straps before - an inexpensive Black Rapid clone, and the OP/TECH Sling strap. The black rapid clone worked ok - it was pretty much a nylon strap with a cushion on the shoulder that also had a small packet for memory cards. It was fairly comfortable although sometimes the cushion would move off of the shoulder as the camera was moved. I never used an actual black rapid only looked at one at the store very quickly, so I'm not really qualified to comment on it, and I know a lot of people swear by them but personally I didn't see anything in it that would justify me spending several times more money for it then I spent on the cheaper imitation. I suppose the material is probably better quality and I actually used the black rapid fastener screw and connector hook as I trusted this part a little more, but the strap itself was too similar for me.

The op/tech I liked better because for one it is pretty comfortable, strap has a wide contoured neoprene cushion, it stays on the shoulder better (although still moves) has lot of customization, and can be changed very quickly. I also liked the fact that it had two points to which you attached the camera, as to me it just feels more secure to spread the pressure from one connector. However the way the strap connectors were positioned on the strap it was getting in the way when grabbing a camera and I ended up using it with the black rapid screw in a tripod mount anyway. I guess after using it for some time I feel quite comfortable with having just one attachment point. I was not crazy about the big white logo on the cushion either.
The thing with both straps is that they are fixed length. Yes you can adjust both of them to where you want them but then it is just that. I ended up holding the camera with my hand a lot to prevent bouncing around while walking and had to pick it up and hold it to sit down.

Then I saw the Joby and was instantly intrigued. Actually while looking for any info about it on the net I saw another strap that seems to work in a very similar manner if not the same as Joby, the Luma Labs Cinch, and it was actually between the Cinch and the Joby that I was deciding on.

What I liked about the cinch a little more is the double point attachment, and also the fact that it was easier to use it with a tripod by just using a quick plate that has a strap attachment point. The double mounting also is totally different then the op/tech and the strap getting in the way should be no issue here. I saw a post that they are working for a solution to have an integrated tripod mount which could be a nice addition. What I didn't like too much though was the double attachment - I know I'm contradicting myself now :) but the way it attaches with the straps, prevents a quick removal and attachment. I take the strap off very often and just use a wrist strap so it would not work well for me. If you don't need to take the strap off this would not be an issue. Another thing was also with the way it attaches. I didn't like the position the camera is hanging. I found a post where someone mention, and it was confirmed by Luma people, that when using a smaller and lighter lens the camera lens tends to face the body so it may potentially scratch the lens. It should not be a problem with a heavier body. It seems to me that it was designed more towards heavier pro equipment.
Please note that I do not own the cinch or was able to test or even see it in the store so I'm just going strictly of the videos and the little info that is available on the internet at this time. Please correct me if I am wrong in any way. I don't put the cinch down as it looks as a great product, it just look like it has some shortcomings for my use. The $70 price makes a difference too to Joby's $50

Ok so on to the Joby. First, the strap is extremely comfortable. It really has almost no cushion on the part of the strap that sits on your shoulder, but the width of it, the material used and the way it lays across the chest that can be adjusted with the ring it beats the other straps I used by a mile. The weight of the camera is distributed very evenly so I barely felt I had the camera on me. It doesn't slide off of the shoulder either like the others did.
The biggest thing about the strap that makes it so much better than other straps is the way it adjusts on the fly, (the above mentioned luma labs cinch seems to work in similar or same way)so you can place it close to your body (front, back, side) and almost eliminate a bounce. To take a picture all you have to do is just grab a camera with one hand and pull. It takes a second. To put it back pull on the ring and a camera and push it back. It really works. Quick and convenient. To me this huge improvement over regular shoulder straps. It does loosen just very slightly as you walk and every now and then you may need to adjust it a bit, but not enough to bother me plus there is a lock that can eliminate that and lock it in a position with just a flick.
It attaches to the camera via the tripod mount, I'm fine with that, I actually like the way it lays against a body. I was initially concerned that pushing the camera down when shortening the strap will put a lot of pressure on the tripod mount and therefore weaken it, but when you actually push the camera you really don't push it straight down, you just sort of glide it along the strap, so this seems fine. The screw looks and feels very solid; the plastic part that the screw is mounted on seems fine too. With the tripod mount it is very quick to take the strap off of the camera, so it's a plus; on the other hand you have to remove the strap to place it on a tripod, which may not appeal to some people. Camera won't sit flat with the strap attached either.
Joby employee mentioned in a post I found while looking for reviews, that possibly they might design some add on in the future to make it tripod compatible if the strap is popular enough. But away, seeing someone from the company addressing people questions in a post and offering explanation of the strap features makes that company gain a lot of respect in my book. Some may see it as a way of advertising, but if it is, it works for me. I was particularly impressed with the way he presented the strap - not like it is the best thing ever among the plethora of straps available out there but as a product that targets specific customer and should work great for that group, and realizing that others may have different needs and may need something else. So far there is no strap that can satisfy all.
I like the way the strap looks too. Simple, nice black and gray color without any shining stand outs, but a nice red accent by the screw and just a small logo. Build quality seems very solid; I believe Joby offers two year warranty on the strap. My biggest concern is with the ring - seems like this could be the weakest part, I hope the plastic used is really high quality and will last, but judging by the overall I would think it should be. I consider the $50 it sells for little high, but still acceptable.

Overall after the few days of using the strap I'm very happy with the purchase, I actually enjoy using it and would buy it again without hesitation. It does have its shortcomings, or really just one for me - the need to take it off to mount the camera on a tripod, but it is something I knew buying it and can live with it. If they ever design some kind of add on to address it I'll definitely look into it. It will not satisfy everyone, but neither will any other strap. Easy Five stars.

This is for the man's version. To my knowledge woman's is the same except it has a little curve in the strap for a better fit (someone posted that it does make a difference) and is slightly narrower.

BTW I have a Canon t3i and my heaviest lenses are the 10-22 and the 18-135 STM so it is a fairly light setup. Can't tell if heavy pro equipment would act the same on the above, but it seems that these are selling very quickly so we should see more comments soon.
on January 21, 2014
I got a new canon 70D, and I wanted a strap that was different than what came with the camera.

I ordered the black rapid Rs-7, op tech usa utility strap and the joby ultrafit since these seemed to be popular brands.

The black rapid attaches via a screw to the underside of the camera, and there are 2 plastic pieces which clamp onto the nylon strap that goes around your shoulder to set the forward and backward limits of camera motion. It was comfortable, but I didn't like the fact that there were 2 clamps that I would have to use instead of one.

I like the optec usa strap - its neoprene material is very comfortable, and I liked how the strap attaches to the camera via the normal strap connection point on the camera and not by a 1/4 - 20 screw. This made the camera more secure. I didn't like how the camera was laying on my body, and the neoprene is great, but it has *too* good of a gripping surface such that it would not slide on my shoulder when I tried to bring the camera up to eye level to take a picture. I would definitely recommend the optec usa strap for anyone who likes a traditional "around the neck" strap.

The joby was the best of both worlds - even with the 1/4-20 screw mounting procedure, it felt more natural when it was laying against my side, and wasn't just "dangling about" like when using the the optec strap. It also only has 1 plastic clamp to secure the back and forth motion of the camera when bringing it up to eye level and back down to my side. The strap that the camera tracks along is a little bit wider than the black rapid.

Although a previous review said that it detached quickly from their 7D, I question why this issue would be unique to the Joby alone? Both the black rapid and joby screw into the 1/4-20 hole at the bottom of the camera and both units have a small rubber pad that is squeezed between the camera and the screw/washer mechanism. This problem of camera detachment makes no sense to me, but many people love the black rapid. Again, I didn't prefer the 2 clamping mechanisms on the black rapid.

I was concerned about the camera coming loose from *any* sling strap that *only* mounts to 1 point on the camera. For both devices, black rapid and joby, I was frequently checking that the screw mechanism was secured when I was out taking pictures.

In the end, I returned everything and got the joby pro sling strap. It's nearly identical to the joby ultrafit, but it also includes an extra "carabiner" which attaches onto the joby nylon strap and a small rope which attaches to the carabiner and slips through and is secured to the normal strap mounting point on the camera. It's the best of both worlds: easy to bring back and forth from hip to eye level, and attached at 2 points on the camera. I have had no issues so far, and it's comfortable to walk around with hours at a time.
on November 10, 2012
I had been looking for something like this for a long time, so I put my name on the waiting list when Amazon said it was coming. Then Cameta Camera got it first and I actually cancelled my Amazon order and ordered from Cameta so I could get it in time for a huge local two day arts and crafts festival. I needed this type of strap mainly for this kind of event, an all-day crowded "walkabout," and also for brisk, hilly exercise walks and general nature photography.

At festivals like this I think the traditional around-the-neck camera position tends to make people look like rank beginners with huge carbuncles on their bellies. Also, there's almost no seating for hundreds of people, so, as you eat while standing, there's the threat that someone will bump your elbow and spill your jambalaya or Coke on your equipment. And with brisk walks, the around-the-neck camera swings back and forth and is more prone to get soaked with sweat. Also, I haven't been able to use the traditional over the shoulder position because the camera is constantly sliding off. So this strap, with its across-the-chest sling position, has solved all these camera carrying problems.

I simply adjust the strap length, lock it at that length by pressing the flap on the buckle and leave it locked all the time. I position my camera at or above belt height and slightly behind my back so my arm won't bump it when I walk. When I shoot, I simply grab the camera (a Nikon D5000 with zoom or macro lens), pull it up to shooting position, shoot, and place it back in carrying position. So far I have had no need to unlock the strap for shooting and re-lock it afterward. The part of the strap that goes over the shoulder stays in place pretty well for me or is easy to readjust and I have plenty of slack for shooting. (If I remember correctly, one of the people in the Joby videos was using it the way I do.) However, if you need to carry the camera more snugly up under your arm, you would have pull the strap to get more slack to shoot and cinch it up afterward, really not much trouble as demo'ed in the videos.

I was a little concerned about wear and tear on my camera's tripod threads, but the strap's tripod fitting goes on and off easily and seems to grip tightly without over-tightening or stressing the screw threads. If you need to take a tripod on and off repeatedly, you might want to get an easy-off adapter to put on the strap screw and camera base, but the Joby's screw fitting is so easy to use, I don't think this would be necessary.

I've tended to get minimal straps in the past, so I was concerned that this one might be too wide, but it turns out that it's very comfortable and stays in position all the time. It worked just as depicted in the videos at the Joby site. I was very impressed with the ability to position the camera exactly where you want it at your side or around toward your back. This made it very easy for me to also wear a tiny belt pack with two lenses toward the other side of my back. With this belt pack, a High Sierra Express, and the Joby strap, I was totally comfortable and unaware of my equipment except while I was using it. This was a first for me.

At the previous festival, I struggled with a normal neck strap and a heavy camera-gear-specific LowePro belt pack which would probably protect your gear during a slide down a mountain, but was overkill for a craft festival. It had to be strapped uncomfortably tight to keep it from tipping backward, and I had to be constantly aware of turning around and bumping things with it. The High Sierra Express lacks padding, so I had to put something between the lenses to keep them from bumping each other. I may review this little belt pack later.

Hope this helps with your decision.
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on September 21, 2013
I really liked this strap at first, but then I realized that my camera was slowly unscrewing itself throughout the day. BY CHANCE I checked the mount halfway through a day at Disney and found that my camera was barely attached! I was paranoid the rest of the day and kept checking that it was screwed in properly. Once I got home I put it in the box and took it back to the store. Based on other reviews here, I was lucky that my camera didn't break.
22 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
Sorry, we failed to record your vote. Please try again
Style: For MenSize: S-LVine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
The Joby UltraFit Sling Strap for Men is slightly longer than the one intended for women (which apparently is designed more for a woman's curves, according to the description on that particular strap).

I am a woman, but I wanted the extra length so I went with the Men's strap.
I really like wearing my Sony A57 in the crossbody style and I doubt I will ever go back to my regular strap that is for center of the body wearing. The padding on this strap is not too thick, but comfortable enough. When I wear it across my torso with the camera hanging low, bumping my hip bone, it fits comfortably and doesn't leave me with a red strap stripe on the side of my neck where the strap was digging in all day long.

Shooting, without lifting the strap over my head, is intuitive and my camera goes from wearing mode to shooting as swiftly as my old style strap, but the one handed "pull to action" feels more natural and makes me feel like I'm not just a photography nerd but a really cool photography nerd.

As far as the fit, of the Men's strap, when worn by a busty lady, it's comfortable enough and the strap seems to rest between my breasts very naturally. I have not gotten any weird pulling or mutant uniboob wearing this strap crossbody style if I wear it long, to my hip. If I shorten the strap so the camera fits tighter against my body and I have the camera more on the side of my mid-back then moving it to shooting mode does seem a little stymied by my boobs and perhaps the women's version handles that a bit more smoothly. If I have the chance to compare the two, I will update this review when and if the time comes.

I can say that the Men's version is comfortable enough, during passive/non-shooting use, that I forgot it was on. That has never happened with the sling I usually tote with me.

The attachment is through the tripod screw hole at the bottom. I'm not 100% thrilled about having to give up the accessory hole for a strap, but when I'm out and about shooting it's usually during daylight and I don't typically use a tripod at that time, so it's not the end of the world. As the strap does screw in, I do check it quite a bit and probably will continue doing so until I'm more confident that it's not going to rotate and send my camera crashing to the ground. The hardware for the attachment and for the strap length adjustment does feel very sturdy though, so I'm probably just being a little over-cautious but I happen to really like my camera.
on June 10, 2014
The product design is totally defective. I purchased the strap and went on to my dream strip to Spain. On the second day of usage, my camera fell to the ground, detached from the strap. My brand new lens Nikon 24-70 was cracked, and can't zoom. For the next two weeks, I can only use Sigma 35 mm (which is great by the way). I missed a lot of wide shots.
What's more frustrating is that I called Joby several times, only got voicemail, and nobody answers my call. And B&H doesn't cover anything either. The repair of the lens will cost $500+.
So do yourself a favor, buy something else, and avoid Joby brand!!!

I saw at least another posting with similar situation. It's the design flaw. The strap relies on screw, but there is no lock! Buy the strap that attaches to the strap holder, but by a screw.

Update: I posted a similar review on B&H in June 2014 where I bought this product. Now, July 2014, my review was no longer there. Wonder why B&H product reviews have higher scores then Amazon? Because they remove negative reviews. So be aware of B&H.
on April 29, 2013
Was walking around with my new joby strap attached to my Nikkon D5200 and bam, the camera fell on the ground and broke my lens while the strap stayed over my shoulder. The only thing I can come up with is as I was walking and taking pics the camera was slowly unscrewing from the attachment. Just be careful.
33 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...